Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Proof that quality vintage raw cards exist- First grades are in

Picked up a collection from a local guy this week and I am sending the following two cards in tomorrow. Just thought I would share. Two really nice examples. I hope I didn't miss anything on them. a lot to sort through, but these were definitely the cream of the crop.

Registry Sets:
T222's PSA 1 or better

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    wow!
    The Robinson is the last one of 3 I need for the set, keep me in mind if you want to flip it, and best of luck with your submission!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Really nice. Congrats
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Here is the next lot I am preparing. Probably have about 100 HOFers this quality, but I have not been able to sort through them all. I will let you know on the Robinson. If it grades high enough I will keep it.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    that 48 Leaf Doby is a TOUGH card indeed!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the contest!

my guess is hoyt wilhelm.

did i win?

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    Nice Cards! Congrats on the pickups.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options

<< <i>thanks for the contest!

my guess is hoyt wilhelm.

did i win? >>

No sorry... The answer we were looking for was Brian Sipe. We would also have accepted Spergon Wynn
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    wynn had a cannon for an arm. chris palmer didn't take advantage of it !

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Ryan is a beauty. Hopefully nothing has been done with it, and it measures correctly. Nice centering for that card too. Congrats.
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hopefully nothing has been done with it, and it measures correctly. >>

+1, something looked a bit off at first glance.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hopefully nothing has been done with it, and it measures correctly. >>

+1, something looked a bit off at first glance. >>

I have measured and scrutinized that Ryan, but my biggest concern is the dreaded min size req. This was taken from a home out of storage, so I do not think it was altered in anyway. I have been wrong before. Cross your fingers. I will know in a week
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    First grades are in. Disappointed on the Robinson. Nolan Ryan about what I expected.

1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson PSA 2.5
    1968 Nolan Ryan/ Jerry Koosman PSA 6

13 more should pop next week.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am interested in robinson if you're selling.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    I have had several inquiries regarding the Robinson. It is for sale, but I need to get it in hand and figure out what I think it is worth.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy grade on the JR.
    Did it have back damage? I cant see a single crease and it looks Nm.
    Any back issues?
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had several inquiries regarding the Robinson. It is for sale, but I need to get it in hand and figure out what I think it is worth. >>

Tuff break on the grades...did you still make out okay? I have found many vintage ungraded collections but unfortunately they are usually in bad shape.
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭

<< <i>I have had several inquiries regarding the Robinson. It is for sale, but I need to get it in hand and figure out what I think it is worth. >>

Put in on eBay , it'll get a higher bid than normal with the eye appeal. I'm also interested.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    That is possibly the best looking 1949 Robinson 2.5 out there!!!
  • Options
    I believe it has some glue residue on the back. I assumed it was wax, but the collection also had an awesome Campanella that had a lot of paperloss like it had been glued into an album. That would probably account for the grade.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options

<< <i>

Tuff break on the grades...did you still make out okay? I have found many vintage ungraded collections but unfortunately they are usually in bad shape. >>

I still am sitting pretty on the collection. The Ryan came from a complete 1968 set that is all in the same grade and I have most of a 1967 set that I will finish off.

I still have about 100 cards to send in for grading. These were just the two top that I wanted to know immediately.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First grades are in. Disappointed on the Robinson. Nolan Ryan about what I expected.

1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson PSA 2.5
    1968 Nolan Ryan/ Jerry Koosman PSA 6

13 more should pop next week. >>

R U kidding me?only a 2.5 on the Robby?
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>R U kidding me?only a 2.5 on the Robby? >>

He said there was some glue residue on the back. Irregardless, possibly the nicest looking low grade Robinson in existence!
  • Options
    BruceinGaBruceinGa Posts: 268 ✭✭
    nice cards! Hope you will get better grades out of the rest.
  • Options
    Got the Robinson back and here is a scan of the back. Upper top looks like some residue. Card has been sold at this point, so no use crying over spilled milk. Sorry I didn't open up the bidding to everyone, but I had a few people speak for it before I got it back that I said could take a crack at it.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    You really should have let everybody gotten a crack at that Robinson....it looked so nice, you might have gotten 5-6 price for a lowly 2.5!!!!
  • Options

<< <i> Irregardless, possibly the nicest looking low grade Robinson in existence! >>

Not a word.