Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hand Cut Cards

I was hoping someone might be able to share some information on how the hand cut cards are graded. When I have submitted them myself, measuring, using a high end cutter, I never receive above a PSA 5. I see a bunch of PSA 10's, 9's, etc... do you have to go to a professsional print shop to have them cut from the box bottoms?

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter
PFB

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post some pics/examples? They would be useful in helping determine why they were graded what they were and if there's a chance to do some minor cleanup and get a higher grade. If you're primarily doing box bottoms though, it's likely due to surface issues on the card itself and nothing to do with the way they were cut.
  • Options
    You are getting 5's because of the box folds in the cards ?
    1985 opc is notorious for these folds in the cards from the box bottoms.
  • Options
    You're definitely missing a surface wrinkle/crease if you're getting 5's because they aren't that hard to get 10's in anything hand cut in my opinion
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I have subbed hundreds of hand cut cards and have done alright.....at first I thought it was tough, but I have got the hang of it. There are still a lot of people out there that just do not use a good trimmer.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    A scan will definitely help us give you some direction on what you may be doing wrong. Also, what model cutter are you using?
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options

<< <i>A scan will definitely help us give you some direction on what you may be doing wrong. Also, what model cutter are you using? >>

IF you're doing something wrong. As Kyle and somebody else said, sometimes box bottoms have surface issues, no matter how perfectly they're cut.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to pose an off topic question...Curious what others think about the value of Hand Cut cards that get number grades such as Mint 9 or Gem mint 10. Besides the POP report factor do you all think the price of a gem mint 10 will hold over time?

I'm finding that hand cut cards such as Bazooka are truly "niche" type collections and attract a small handful of collectors. Same thought, wondering how this market will look over time.
    As it stands today there is a huge difference between an authentic vs gem mint hand cut card, at least in the Bazooka examples i've seen.

Then there are other variations such as the panels that are cut and preserved as a 3 card panel. Then there's another level of a whole bazooka box left intact.

Hand cut cards are such a difficult type of price out.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    CubsFan41CubsFan41 Posts: 513 ✭✭

<< <i>You're definitely missing a surface wrinkle/crease if you're getting 5's because they aren't that hard to get 10's in anything hand cut in my opinion >>

What is the best tool for hand cutting? The cutter I bought left the back of the box bottoms jagged or chipped looking.
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a steel ruler and an "ex-acto" type knife to cut my cards. I have a pair of jewelers magnifying glasses and change the blades often.

edited to add; cards must show almost all of the lines around card, either "dotted" or solid. Some would argue ALL of the lines must show.

Borders must be clean and even all the way around. Many of these have surface issues as they are often from boxes that were put on shelves and got scuffed up. Fold lines are also a problem.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I use this and I have no complaints.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss