Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pujols #500 HR - Good Story Here IMO

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/04/albert-pujols-home-run-500-video/

Finally a fan simply enjoys the "experience" vice looking to capitalize on the moment. I carry the same mindset...if I caught a memorable baseball, I would just like to hand the ball back to the player and say "great job and thank you for making me apart of the moment."

Moving towards a focus on Pujols cards, I wonder if this event will initiate a large comeback in the near-term and due other impending/closing milestones? I recently sold some of his auto rookie cards for values that were well below his late 2000s high points and prime.

Mealtoaf

Comments

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For whatever it's worth I would pocket the ball and leave the stadium immediately. I'd have the ball on Ebay before the game ended.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Nice sentiment, but that ball could bring a year's salary for some of us. If Pujols was making $35000a year, I may agree with you. But that ball could solve a lot of real life problems for an average fan.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    you know the guy will end up with something special for the gesture. maybe not be worth what he might have been able to get for it on the open market, but he won't end up empty handed.
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    Last I heard, Pujols is charging fans upwards of $200 to sign flats. If I caught a ball like this it would be going to the highest bidder ASAP. Like the players say whenever they are giving the fans the shaft, 'it's a business'.
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    500 HR baseball's sell for over $100K, I'd take the money and run
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    yeah, i see a guy who traded a winning lottery ticket to a quarter-billionaire for a couple of caps in a misguided effort to 'do the right thing'. AP might 'value it more', but we all know that ball will be at an auction house in the future at some point anyway. selling the ball to the highest bidder - and splitting the proceeds with the dude who took the ball to the gut - would have been the actual 'right thing' to do.
  • Options
    I am not saying I disagree with anyone and their feelings on "what they would do with the ball," but I think the perceptions of how much the ball is "worth" are inflated. This is not the late 1990s anymore. And this guy is not Jeter. In the end, I am sure Pujols or the LAA would have provided the person who caught the ball with something for his return of the ball...tickets, seats, time with the star, etc. BL: People value you things differently. For me, alone time with a superstar to BS and relax would be worth more than holding onto some ball or selling it for a few $k, dealing with the taxes, etc. But my tastes are different.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For whatever it's worth I would pocket the ball and leave the stadium immediately. I'd have the ball on Ebay before the game ended. >>

Baseball sure doesn't need fans like you. A great gesture by the guy who caught it.
  • Options
    I too would have kept the ball and sold it. Lets not forget, Pujols left St Louis for greener (as in money) pastures. I see no reason not to take advantage of the same capitolism that landed AP an extra $50 million in LA
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    that is a nice gesture by Mr. Sherrill. as a military man serving his country, he has been taught to represent the value of responsibility, not just dollar bills. i hope he enjoys his memories.

for Mr. Gordon, perhaps a large box of Band-Aids to accompany his small stake in this venture.
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For whatever it's worth I would pocket the ball and leave the stadium immediately. I'd have the ball on Ebay before the game ended. >>

Baseball sure doesn't need fans like you. A great gesture by the guy who caught it. >>

Geez, lighten up, just joking around.

And I'd bet a lot of money you'd keep the ball too, as would 99% of people on this board. We are collectors after all and that would be a pretty cool collectible.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    well, money aside, I certainly don't understand why it's anyone's 'responsibility' to give AP this ball. It's not legally (or morally) his property, and he can always elect to offer something for it if he wants it. no matter what, he'll have the 500 HR bat, 500 HR gloves and 500 HR underwear, so there's no shortage of personal souvenirs already sitting at home plate.

on further reflection, i think AP actually missed a great opportunity. he could have given both guys 25k each for the ball, and 25k to each of their favorite charities. imagine the heaps of amazing PR that he would have gotten all for the (tax deductible) cost of one game's pay. probably would have scored 10x the amount back in endorsement deals to boot.
  • Options
    I was at Monday's game hoping he'd hit two dingers, but to no avail. The moralist in me would want to give the ball back, but being practical I'd have a hard time justifying to the mrs. that the addition we want for the house or funding for the children's future college education could be significantly aided by a single baseball. I agree that it was a great gesture, but the gentleman certainly shouldn't have felt obligated to do so and you are certainly no less of a fan if you choose to sell the ball to take care of your own needs in life.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Nice story...apparently I am not that altruistic. I don't feel bad about that. I would listen to any offer Pujols or the Angels had, and probably take a "discount" from market price to give it to them, but in no way would I hand it over without something of significance in return.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Nice story, glad to see everyone is not out for a buck.
    If I was in Wrigley and I caught an opposing teams player historic baseball I would throw it back.

Years ago a friend of my fathers caught someones first HR ball. The usher found him and my dads friend was requesting all kinds of stuff, cleats, jersey, etc, etc. The usher went back and let the player know the fans request. The player told him to forget it. Needless to say the player didn't make a big splash as I am unable to remember the players name. Also my dads friend has a crappy baseball sitting in his house somewhere.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is not the late 1990s anymore. And this guy is not Jeter. >>

Indeed! Pujols is far better.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    The only reason this #500 ball will be worth so much is because he'll never reach #600. He's 34 now, which means he's actually 38 since he's from the Dominican Republic. He's a shell of his former self, and his memorabilia has been on a steady decline for some time.

I can't judge anyone for giving the ball back or not... I just know that I would give the ball back. There aren't many things uglier in the game of baseball than those greedy home run ball vultures.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Here is how I would handle it. I would host a charity event where Albert is onsite for a pay per plate event. Albert signs an auto for everyone on site and all the money raised goes to a charity of my choice since I caught the ball. Therefore everyone gets a cool auto and or pic with Albert. A charity gets a nice check and Albert gets his ball.
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

<< <i>The only reason this #500 ball will be worth so much is because he'll never reach #600. He's 34 now, which means he's actually 38 since he's from the Dominican Republic. He's a shell of his former self, and his memorabilia has been on a steady decline for some time. >>

I think this view of Pujols is WAY over-blown. His "off-year" of 2011 he hit .285 with 30 HRs and 105 RBIs. Not bad. He had a horrible April that year, but rallied nicely as the final numbers show. Last year he was injured. And don't look now but he leads the majors in HRs. His OPS is 2nd in the AL.

I do think the 10 year deal for him is a mistake because his age in years 8-10, but he is not bad now. He is still, currenty, a great player.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    It's a gesture, but it's not noble.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I love collecting memorabilia from significant games/years. I would be so excited to catch that ball, to put it mildly. I would feel no moral obligation at all to give it back. No more so than if I caught a foul ball. It's part of the experience of going to a game. While I wouldn't push for top dollar from Pujols for it, I wouldn't just turn it over. I believe the ball is worth between $50-100K.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only reason this #500 ball will be worth so much is because he'll never reach #600.
    >>

Wish I had $1 for every failed baseball prediction that I've heard.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way id give the ball back for a few signed hats and balls. That ball is wayyy more valuable than whatever they got. In my case, id sell it, and use the money to help pay off college and not be in debt for the next 20 years of my life. Worth more than some signed memorabilia. If pujols really wanted it, he could make a nice hefty offer for it in whatever auction I put it in.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Charge Pujols one days pay!
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on clinching your HOF plaque, Mr. Pujols! He did do so for real right, he hasn't been found to have taken 'roids right? I sure hope not...
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    That ball is wayyy more valuable than whatever they got. In my case, id sell it, and use the money to help pay off college +1
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I fixed this for you:

<< <i>That ball is wayyy more valuable than whatever they got. In my case, id sell it, and use the money to buy a ton more baseball cards. +1 >>