Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Would you spend big dollars on the 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols RC AUTO?

Would love to have the 10 listed on eBay currently for sale. I have followed Pujols from the start and am near certain he has been clean the entire time. I guess now would be the best time to invest in the best? Just not going to spend $39,900 on the copy, only 5 PSA 10'S out there as of this moment.

Comments

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    I think you are asking the wrong crowd (this board).

Most the guys on this board and net54 are what I'd call advanced collectors, they like the vintage, rare and or obscure collectibles.

With that said I'm sure the reality is that there are a whole generation of future collectors who will carry on the importance of the Pujols Bowman Chrome auto RC. It's not a bad time to buy, I've been guilty of looking and wondering. It certainly will not outperform the Jeter SP RC (sorry had to throw this in)

Collect what you love. Who knows it might be the future holy grail card.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not. I am not a believer in the value of his cards sustaining. At the very least, the odds of his card value going down is greater than its upside at this point. I don't see his performance getting back to where he was 5 years ago, so in my opinion you would have to wait for him to hit milestone numbers or retire/get elected to the HOF before the value of his cards see much upside. With baseball, there is also always the specter of a PED scandal with any slugger. Not saying he is a user, but there is always a chance something comes up.
    Steve
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have followed Pujols from the start and am near certain he has been clean the entire time.

Just curious why you say that...as there are many who think the opposite. I have no opinion either way, but wondering why you feel the way you do.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Just a hunch I guess, compaired to Barry Bonds and Mark Mcgwire, Pujols really has not changed much from a physical stand point. Also if he was taking PED'S or whatever I would think that MLB would have caught him by now. I think Pujols has no place to go but up here, it seems he is healthy compared to last year and he has 7 more years to pile up the stats. I think the Bowman Chrome auto card, in anygrade, is a good investment, just my two cents worth......
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I certainly see your side of the argument. If he remains healthy and can put up some monster counting stats then there is a chance his cards (and that card in particular) rise in value. I just feel that he may not get to those counting stat milestones. Even if he does, if I were looking at it from an investment standpoint, I think there are a number of cards/investments that will rise at a faster/safer rate than his card. It will just take a long time to see the return. Unfortunately, in this day and age I am dubious of most baseball players with his body type being "clean". He may have used, he may not have used, I have no sense of this either way. However, the downside to his card values is enormous if a PED report ever comes out. There is no equivalent upside if no scandal comes out. For those reasons, I would look elsewhere from an investment standpoint. If he is a favorite player or you want the card as a collection centerpiece I have no argument against that.
    Steve
  • Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    that card is just too risky IMO. For that money you can own a beautiful RC of Rose, Clemente, Ryan, Koufax, need I go on? image
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Way too risky. There are two stories out there on him. The possible PED's and the possible forging of his birth certificate. Both of course are not proven but if either come true the value goes way down. Well the birth cert maybe not as much as the PED.
  • Moose1913Moose1913 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭

<< <i>that card is just too risky IMO. For that money you can own a beautiful RC of Rose, Clemente, Ryan, Koufax, need I go on? image >>

This right here. Then again, I'm not comfortable spending more than a few hundred dollars on players who are still active or alive. Nobody is perfect and all it takes is a crazy scandal (whether PEDs or personal matters) for prices to crash. NOBODY is untouchable.

If I had that kind of coin to spend it would be on the nicest Clemente rookie card I could find.
    I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you can load up on all of the #5/500 copies.

Seriously, though, what other slugger with a long contract has panned out from an investment perspective in the last twenty years? The possibility of PEDs and the likelihood that he will be an albatross around the neck of the Angels in five years as his batting numbers decline are too great in comparison to the possible heroics he could perform as an Angel that would cement his legacy and justify the $$$.

The arc from prospect to young star to classy HOF worthy veteran is what is demanded to maintain and drive card prices. These expectations are almost impossible to fulfill.
  • I would spring for one if I could afford it. It is the last card I need for my 2001 bowman chrome set and it has come down in price the last few years.
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Investment wise, now is the worst time to buy. The more games the Angels lose the more his prices will drop.
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would love to have the 10 listed on eBay currently for sale. I have followed Pujols from the start and am near certain he has been clean the entire time. I guess now would be the best time to invest in the best? Just not going to spend $39,900 on the copy, only 5 PSA 10'S out there as of this moment. >>

I dont follow baseball, but does this card actually sell in that price rangeimage
    Or possibly since there is only 5 psa 10s, it doesnt sell often or at all so somebody is
    fishing. To me, that is crazy money for an active player. Like others have mentioned,
    1 scandle of any kind could find somebody holding a very expensive piece of cardboard.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • i am in the camp that that amount of money is better spent on a vintage card at this time - not to say i wouldnt want to own a pujols - but too risky at that price -

i pulled his purple base 1/1 from 2013 tribute and find myself wishing i hadnt sold it off

plus the guy did a cool little cameo on sesame street recently with grover - so gotta give him kudos on that one too.
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    I would rather have the 2000 Miguel Cabrera Auto than the Pujols... but I too, prefer older vintage cards. Being a Cubs fan doesn't have anything to do with it, but Pujols' recent decline (performance & health) the last few years would make me wary.
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    i'd go vintage as well

what's realistically the upside on a pujols? i mean, what will he have to do to juice the interest more than it was several years ago?

i think about someone like griffey and how awesome he was, but once the clamoring dies down its just hard to get it back - i see the same thing in pujols

unless he goes and rolls off like 3-4 MVPs in a row, there's not much he can do to renew the fever for collecting him, IMO