Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Book Review-They Called Me God by Doug Harvey w/Peter Golenbeck.

Doug Harvey, the Nat'l league umpire details his career here. What a great read. Very interesting career. Has many interesting comments on Koufax,Seaver,Drysdale,Carlton,Rose, and many other HOF'ers/players/managers. He umpired in games that contained great moments. Biggest commentary he relayed that surprised me the most was all the drinking (off the job) that was done by many umpires. And they were responsible for balls/strikes. Wondered how these nightly benders influenced their judgement on game day. Found out 1 interesting fact-Who was the only PITCHER to hit 2 Grand Slams in 1 game. You could read the book or I suppose cheat and google it, but the book is more interesting. Next read-The Fight of Their Lives, about the Marichal/Roseboro ugliest brawl.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I know the answer to the 2 grand slams in one game by a pitcher. He also had another RBI in the same game. I was listening to the game on the radio and remember running to my father to
    tell him what had just happened.
    I know what you mean about being surprised by certain behaviors. I just got my hands on & read a copy
    of Joe, you coulda made us proud by Joe Pepitone, 1975. To think that someone had the opportunity to do great things on the baseball field only to throw it all away because they couldn't keep their fly zipped (among other things).
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll look for the book by Harvey.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Doug Harvey was truly one if the nicest men I ever met in baseball. He was incredibly well respected by everyone and was a man I looked up to. I will have to get this book.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    I knew that one. Cloninger.

<< <i> Found out 1 interesting fact-Who was the only PITCHER to hit 2 Grand Slams in 1 game. >>

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know the answer to the 2 grand slams in one game by a pitcher. He also had another RBI in the same game. I was listening to the game on the radio and remember running to my father to
    tell him what had just happened.
    I know what you mean about being surprised by certain behaviors. I just got my hands on & read a copy
    of Joe, you coulda made us proud by Joe Pepitone, 1975. To think that someone had the opportunity to do great things on the baseball field only to throw it all away because they couldn't keep their fly zipped (among other things).
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll look for the book by Harvey. >>

I listened to the game as well. Was it against the Giants?
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "I listened to the game as well. Was it against the Giants?"

From memory: It was against the Giants. It was on July 3, 196? (i'm thinking '67) He also pitched a good game. and the Braves won by a lot. Oh! and my family was having a picnic at
    Rock Eagle Lake near Eatonton, GA. and I remember catching a lot of fish. Great day all around.

After googling the box score it was July 3, 1966, the Braves won 17-3. Cloninger was 3-5 with 9 RBI. He pitched 9 inn, gave up 7 hits, 3 ER, 2 walks & struck out 5. Also hitting homeruns that day for the
    Braves were some guys named Torre and H. Aaron.
    Another bit of Cloninger trivia. He started the first ever Atlanta Braves regular season game (opening day 1966). He pitched 13 innings and lost to the Pirates 3-2 on a Willie Stargell 2 run homer.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It always amazes me what some of the old time pitchers could do, pitch more complete games,go deeper in the game, even the starting pitcher going into extra innings. If memory serves I believe Warren Spahn pitched both games of a doubleheader during his career.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".