Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

If you had to pick: Tom Seaver or Bob Gibson

Hi gang, I'm interested in starting a single player collection. I've narrowed it down to two of my favorites but don't know which one to choose. I'm torn between Tom Seaver and Bob Gibson and looking for pros and cons on both. If you had a choice which player would you choose as far as cards, graphs and memorabilia go. Which player do you think would be a better investment ? Any guidance would be appreciated, Thanks!!!

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seaver is probably the better choice, IMHO. More markets if you ever decide to sell including New York.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seaver is probably the better choice, IMHO. More markets if you ever decide to sell including New York. >>

Agreed.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Seaver.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always been a huge Seaver fan. He has ties to the NY, Cincy and Chicago markets so you should find plenty of people
    who are Seaver collectors.

That being said, it's also hard to discount Bob Gibson. He was one of the most dominating pitchers in baseball from his early days,
    and even later when the mound was lowered 6 inches.

Both of their RCs in PSA 8 cost about the same, though Gibson's earlier cards tend to be a bit more costly than Seaver's in equal grade
    so you might be making a slightly steep investment in a Gibson collection (other than if you are chasing a 1969 Seaver PSA 9 which will
    set you back a lot more than a 1960 Gibson PSA 9).

You cant go wrong with either of them IMO.

Dave
  • firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
    Seaver
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I personally prefer Tom Seaver over Bob Gibson, but I don't think that you should make your decision based on investment potential. Collect the player that you would enjoy collecting the most. If you were given an opportunity to wear your favorite player's jersey to work one day, which one would it be? Collect that one. If you can't decide, you can always collect both. image
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

+1, my all-time favorite player as well!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    tough one to answer.I seen both at their peak.I have to say Seaver.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    On the field, Seaver probably had a a better career than Gibson. Plus with his broadcasting, he continues to be in the public eye. I don't have any idea what Gibson is doing these days

Off the field, I have read about Gibson being quite surly with fans and collectors. Just gives off a bad vibe, while Seaver has been a good guy off the field.

For my money, it's Seaver, but I'm big on collecting guys that are good people and I gracious to their fans off the field
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an olde Cardinal fan,pre McGwire, it's "Gibby" for me.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Gibson for me. If you like a good challenge try finding a centered 1959 Topps Gibson rookie for a reasonable price.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seaver, hands down.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Gibson. Better looking cards (1960s) and older vintage cards to collect.
    There's at least 10 great Gibson card's to own.

When I think of Seaver, he has maybe five cards I'd want to own.
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    That's a tough call. As a previous poster said, if reselling is your intention somewhere down the road Seaver has the NY factor in his favor. But Cardinal collectors are just as passionate. Both pitchers were cerebral and dominant in their time.

I would choose Gibson simply because his stuff is a more interesting challenge to find. His RC is a tough high number in a 1950s set. If you ever look for game used stuff (the real thing, not pieces of cloth pasted to a card) it's much harder to find than Seaver stuff, and his autograph, especially on vintage items is harder to find (lot of ghost signed and clubhouse stuff). Then there is also his brief career as a Harlem Globetrotter.

People are going to look back on that 1.12 ERA in 1968 and compare it to Dimaggio's hitting streak, a record that may never be broken.

• BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

<< <i>Gibson. Better looking cards (1960s) and older vintage cards to collect.
    There's at least 10 great Gibson card's to own.

I have a lot of trouble warming up to that Pink 59 Gibson RC. Both great pitchers but Seaver gets my vote
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Gibson
  • Seaver is the greatest Met of all time, not even close. But he was on three other teams. no bueno. his cards span from 1967 to 1987

Gibson spent his whole career with one team, and his cards span from 1959 to 1975

as far as CARD collecting, have to go with Gibby
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to go with Gibson. Too many modern cards to chase for Seaver.

• << <i>Seaver is the greatest Met of all time, not even close. But he was on three other teams. no bueno. his cards span from 1967 to 1987

Gibson spent his whole career with one team, and his cards span from 1959 to 1975

as far as CARD collecting, have to go with Gibby >>

I was gong to say Seaver then I read this very valid point.
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As great as Seaver was, not really sure whether to consider him a Met or a Red. >>

I disagree. Tom Seaver is without question considered to be a New York Met more often than he is considered to be a Cincinnati Red.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • GIBSON
  • I vote for Gibson as well. You get all of the beautiful 1960's cards thru '75.
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Denehy has a view on this debate. I wonder if he can afford a copy of his rookie card. I also wonder if anyone has ever asked him to autograph his rookie card
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al