Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Don Mattingly

I have been a New York Yankees fan since I was 7 years old. My favorite Yankees player of all time has been Don Mattingly ever since I was in high school. My best friend treated me to Don Mattingly Day at Yankee Stadium on August 31, 1997. I have since had Donnie Baseball sign my ticket stub from that historic day. Recently, I have been a little bit conflicted about my loyalty to the New York Yankees. Please do not misunderstand me. They are still my favorite baseball team. I just don't know what I would do if the New York Yankees were to face the Los Angeles Dodgers in the World Series. I may find myself rooting for Donnie to win his first World Series rather than the New York Yankees to win their 28th.

I thought that it would be fun to create a discussion that is related to Don Mattingly for collectors to share anything and everything that they wish to share. Do you collect Don Mattingly baseball cards? Does your sports memorabilia collection contain any unique Don Mattingly items? What are your personal experiences that you would like to share about him? Does he deserve to be in the National Baseball Hall of Fame? I look forward to reading your responses as well as sharing some additional things of my own.

If you would like to discuss Don Mattingly's managerial abilities and/or tactics as well, I have posted the link to another discussion below.

Don Mattingly's Managerial Abilities and/or Tactics
"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

Comments

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Great thread! I'm a big Don Mattingly fan as well. I grew up a catcher and Thurman Munson turned me on to the Yankees as a kid in Alabama, but Don Mattingly was the true star of my youth. He was about all there was to get excited about for those 1980's Yankees teams! I understand your conflict as I feel like you do that if the Yankees played the Dodgers in the series a big part of me would be pulling for Donnie to get his World Series ring.

As for the HOF, I definitely believe Don Mattingly deserves to be in there (my email address starts with donybasblhof23 lol) and the shame of it is that I believe if he would have played, even in a supporting role, for a couple more years and been part of the World Series teams that started the year after he retired that he would be in. I know that there have been other threads ad nauseum about his candidacy, but I still contend that he and Kirby Puckett were basically the same player statistically but one was "injured" at the end of his career with Kirby's glaucoma and one was dealing with injuries for years going into the end of his career with Mattingly's back.

I also have always harbored a grudge against Roger Clemens for the MVP in 1986 as I have always felt that the Cy Young Award was sufficient for pitchers since they only essentially play every 5th day and the MVP should be given to an every day player. Mattingly's 1986 season should have garnered him back to back MVPs and that too I believe could have swayed voters more to his case for the HOF.

As for collectibles, I do have a fair amount of Don Mattingly stuff but nothing very exotic. One of my favorite things I have is a Disney World photograph with Mickey and Goofy in Yankees uniforms along with Willie Randolph, Don Mattingly and Jack Clark. Some day I'd like to try and get that signed by everybody, including taking it to Disney World to have Mickey and Goofy sign.

Again, great thread and I look forward to reading the responses!
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I grew up a catcher and Thurman Munson turned me on to the Yankees as a kid in Alabama, but Don Mattingly was the true star of my youth. >>

It's interesting that you mention Thurman Munson. I recently read the book Munson: The Life and Death of a Yankee Captain by Marty Appel. It was a great read. I highly recommend it if you have not read it. I also just finished watching Game 6 of the 1978 World Series on the YES Network. I have always wondered what may have happened to Thurman's catcher's mask at the end of the game. Ron Cey popped up behind home plate and Thurman threw his mask away prior to catching the ball. It was the final out, so the fans immediately began to run onto the field, and Thurman could be seen running for his life. Did some lucky Los Angeles Dodgers fan end up with that mask? If so, in the words of Indiana Jones, "That belongs in a museum."
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    I too was quite surprised that Kirby got in the HOF on the first ballot (as did Dave Winfield that year; but that one everyone saw coming)...I think what put Kirby over the top was the fact that he not only won two championships in five years...but did so in about the lowest market team possible.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Dave Winfield was always a lot of fun to watch play. I enjoyed him very much. He and Don Mattingly shared an autograph signing that I attended many years ago. He is a true gentleman.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously, I am a huge Donnie fan. What a fielder. What work ethic. A man that made the very most of what he had. If not for that back injury, who knows what might have happened. So respected. So revered by his peers. For about four years he was the best player in baseball, voted by his peers-- and that's what I respect most: the peer vote, not the sports "journalist" vote.

I met Donny here in LA and we actually spoke at length. It was the only time in my life I was ever starstruck. What a genuine, affable, down-to-earth guy. He will always be my favorite player. And the way the stadium erupted for him that day he was honored, who can forget that.

I think so many of us like Donny more for the way he handled his hard luck-- retiring and then they go on that run. It could have embittered many, but the guy is all class.

Here are some scans to bring some images to the thread... My favorite Donny cards...

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a Yankees fan, but I like Donnie Baseball!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Those are some awesome cards. Thank you so much for posting them. I am considering purchasing some PSA 10 graded Don Mattingly cards, but I am currently working on a 1978 Topps baseball set. The images that you posted are tempting me to purchase a few. I particularly like his three 1988 Topps cards. They are representative of his record-breaking 1987 season. I also like his 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen Baseball card a lot. I have posted an image of it below, in case you haven't seen it yet. Thanks again DM23HOF.

• Options
    My favorite player of all time as well
    Met him when I was 13 and got him to sign two cards.
    I'm hoping he can follow in torre's footsteps and get a ws win and into the hall as a manager.
  • Options
    Mikey,

Thanks for posting that; I'd never seen that image before. I love seeing new Donny cards. I was doing the Master Set myself but two lifelong dream upgrades rained on me at the same time and now I am abandoning the master Donnie run for a couple years.

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I grew up a catcher and Thurman Munson turned me on to the Yankees as a kid in Alabama, but Don Mattingly was the true star of my youth. >>

It's interesting that you mention Thurman Munson. I recently read the book Munson: The Life and Death of a Yankee Captain by Marty Appel. It was a great read. I highly recommend it if you have not read it. I also just finished watching Game 6 of the 1978 World Series on the YES Network. I have always wondered what may have happened to Thurman's catcher's mask at the end of the game. Ron Cey popped up behind home plate and Thurman threw his mask away prior to catching the ball. It was the final out, so the fans immediately began to run onto the field, and Thurman could be seen running for his life. Did some lucky Los Angeles Dodgers fan end up with that mask? If so, in the words of Indiana Jones, "That belongs in a museum." >>

I actually did read that book by Marty Appel. It was a great read. Interesting about the mask in 1978. It would be cool to know where it ended up.

One of the distinctive memories I have of Donnie Baseball was being at an exhibition game in Atlanta where the Yanks played the Braves. Donnie was playing first for the Yanks of course and Fred McGriff was playing first for the Braves. I've always considered Donnie one of the greatest defensive first basemen of all time but I watched as Fred McGriff, who I also consider an above average fielder, dive for a ball and make a great stop. The next inning, a ball hit in the same spot and Don Mattingly gets to it like it's routine. He got such great reads off the bat. Really an amazing fielder in my mind.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    He stinks... but please look at my site in my signature. I spent a lot of time on it and there's interesting stuff.

Matt, those cards are amazing. I'm jealous.

Please excuse the poor quality of the scans.
  • Options

<< <i>The next inning, a ball hit in the same spot and Don Mattingly gets to it like it's routine. He got such great reads off the bat. Really an amazing fielder in my mind. >>

My friends and I were attending a game at Yankee Stadium back in 1987. We were sitting in field level seats behind the visitors' dugout. There was a man on third base. The batter hit one right down the first-base line. We fully expected the run to score on a sacrifice. Then we watched in amazement as Mattingly stepped on first base and threw the ball home for a tag at the plate. It was one of the most incredible moments that I have ever experienced at Yankee Stadium. That, and witnessing Reggie Jackson literally hit one out of the park during batting practice back in 1978.

• Options

<< <i>He stinks... >>

I don't get it. image

<< <i>but please look at my site in my signature. I spent a lot of time on it and there's interesting stuff. >>

I was actually checking out that website the other day when I was doing a little research on Don Mattingly Day. It's a great website. Nice job. Thanks for posting the cards.
  • Options
    Love Mattingly, and I absolutely despise the yankees.

One of the most amazing things, imo, is how rare it was for him to strike out.
    7000 at bats, and only struck out 444 times.
    By comparison Jeter has struck out 1700 times in 10000 ab's.
    Just goes to show how great of a hitter he truly was.
  • Options
    Great thread. As much as I would love to see Donnie win a championship, I wouldn't want it to come at the expense of the Yankees. Now if The Dodgers were to play any other team in The Fall Classic, I would become the biggest Dodger Bandwagon fan you've ever seen.

Here's my favorite piece. In 2008, after my wife and I told my Mom what our daughters name would be, she emailed Mattingly's Evansville offices, and he was kind enough to send her this greeting card. She had it framed, and presented it to us when I picked up my wife at the end of her baby shower. The picture was taken in the spring of 2009 when she was about 9 months old, she's 5 now. Eventually I would like to replace the picture with one of her and Donnie together.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't get it. >>

Made a silly joke. I love Donnie Baseball. I wear #23 whenever I can when playing ball.

<< <i>I was actually checking out that website the other day when I was doing a little research on Don Mattingly Day. It's a great website. Nice job. Thanks for posting the cards. >>

Thanks so much. Means a lot to me to have you say that. I spent a lot of time on it before i moved to South Korea in February.
  • Options

<< <i>As much as I would love to see Donnie win a championship, I wouldn't want it to come at the expense of the Yankees. >>

I am sorry to say that I probably would have to agree with you. Let's hope that we are never actually put to the test.

<< <i>Here's my favorite piece. In 2008, after my wife and I told my Mom what our daughters name would be, she emailed Mattingly's Evansville offices, and he was kind enough to send her this greeting card. She had it framed, and presented it to us when I picked up my wife at the end of her baby shower. The picture was taken in the spring of 2009 when she was about 9 months old, she's 5 now. Eventually I would like to replace the picture with one of her and Donnie together. >>

What a great story. If that doesn't exemplify what a great guy he truly is, I don't know what will. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options

<< <i>Great thread. As much as I would love to see Donnie win a championship, I wouldn't want it to come at the expense of the Yankees. Now if The Dodgers were to play any other team in The Fall Classic, I would become the biggest Dodger Bandwagon fan you've ever seen.

Here's my favorite piece. In 2008, after my wife and I told my Mom what our daughters name would be, she emailed Mattingly's Evansville offices, and he was kind enough to send her this greeting card. She had it framed, and presented it to us when I picked up my wife at the end of her baby shower. The picture was taken in the spring of 2009 when she was about 9 months old, she's 5 now. Eventually I would like to replace the picture with one of her and Donnie together.

image >>

What a great story. I bet you couldn't find a handful of players who would do the same thing. Again, I absolutely hate the yankees....but how can you not admire a guy like Mattingly?

On a side note, they mentioned Mattingly on ESPN's 30 for 30 Elway to Marino when Elway was drafted by the yankees. It's impossible to speculate what WOULD have happened, but they were VERY high on Elway's potential had he played. Would have been very interesting to say the least.
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭
    Donnie Baseball is my favorite as well.

When I was 12-13 years old, my dad was one of the Baseball Chapel speakers for the Yankees. He would sometimes bring me along as long as I agreed to not pester the players for autographs, because they really regarded the chapel times as times they could relax and be themselves. I remember the first time I walked into the Yankees locker room. Just completely dumbfounded! Phil Niekro in his rocking chair, Don Baylor's enormous legs, Rickey Henderson shirtless eating a plate of fruit and playing cards. So long ago but memories are still so vivid.

Don Mattinlgy was a regular chapel attender. I remember the first time I met him I just was staring. Probably creeped him out a bit lol. Anyway, I remember him cracking some light jokes about George Steinbrenner and even the Yankees shaggy/facial hair policy! I will tell you this - he treated a dorky 12-year-old with such class. Took a genuine interest in me, my love of the Yankees, and whether I played baseball. (I remembered that when my own kids met Mariano Rivera while he was shopping at a Kansas City mall - absolute class act with my kids). Anyway, my dad said something to make DM laugh and that was very cool to me about my dad at that point. Dad made Donnie Baseball laugh!

Dad gave me permission to ask DM for an autograph and he kindly obliged. Signed my 1985 Topps card. Bottom line is what I remember most now is how kind he was. Probably one of the reasons he's still my favorite today.
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to be at Yankee stadium for the game with my grandfather when mattingly hit his 1000th hit at the stadium. We sat on the first base side with a sack of white castles. One of the best games to be at.
  • Options
    JuggsJuggs Posts: 495
    Donnie was pretty much a God to me when I was a kid. I played catcher, so I followed those guys a little closer but Donnie was like the super hot girl in High School that no one asked out because everyone thought she was untouchable.

I remember going to a Tigers/Yankees game at Tiger Stadium when I was probably 16. My friend and I found the Yankee team bus after the game and hung out to watch the Yankees come out. at that age I was probably about 6'4" and I remember seeing how short Don was when he came out. He signed a few autos, including my friend's baseball and as I he stood there signing I was both in awe and confused that I was so much bigger than a God.

As a Dodger fan, I love that he's our skipper.
  • Options

<< <i>I remember the first time I walked into the Yankees locker room. Just completely dumbfounded! Phil Niekro in his rocking chair, Don Baylor's enormous legs, Rickey Henderson shirtless eating a plate of fruit and playing cards. So long ago but memories are still so vivid. >>

What a great personal story. I particularly enjoyed the vivid descriptions of Yankees players that I enjoyed watching play so much when I was younger. Thanks Doog 71.
  • Options

<< <i>at that age I was probably about 6'4" and I remember seeing how short Don was when he came out. >>

I now remember always telling my friends that he and I were the same height. I am 5' 11.5" tall. Sometimes Don Mattingly's baseball card indicated that his height was 5' 11" and sometimes his baseball card indicated that his height was 6' 0". I had forgotten all about that. Thanks for reminding me.
  • Options
    Happy 53rd Birthday to Donnie Baseball!

• Options
  • Options
    Reflecting back on that game that my friends and I attended back in 1987, I am not absolutely certain that Don Mattingly stepped on first base prior to throwing the ball home for a successful play at the plate. Regardless of the circumstances, I still remember it like it was yesterday.
  • Options
    I purchased this card for one dollar today. I could not resist it at that price.

• Options
    For you fellow Mattingly fans, I edited these images so feel free to use at your leisure. I thought they were pretty cool photos to use for the given years.

• Options
    Those cards look awesome, especially the 79. I remember as a kid wishing he had an 83 Traded card; that set would have been huge with Darryl at the time.

• Options
    I agree DM23HOF. The 1979 Topps card looks awesome.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

If you have any requests for edited Mattingly cards with different photos, let me know and I can work on them when I have some time. Also, it would be great if you can email me the scan of a Yankees first basemen from that set (non-Mattingly issued year.. see below) as well as the image you want used to dan.skrezyna@gmail.com. I'm no pro at graphic design and can't make any guarantees that I can pull your card off but I will do my best.

If anyone happens to have these Yankees cards below scanned in a higher resolution and can send to me at the email above, I'd appreciate it. The scans I had are on my computer in the US and I don't have access to them.

1978 Chris Chambliss
    1979 Chris Chambliss
    1980 George Scott
    1981 Bob Watson
    1982 Bob Watson
    1983 Steve Balboni
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Shave those sideburns!
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    JaktJakt Posts: 573
    That framed picture with a personal letter is nothing short of amazing. That's something that can easily become a family heirloom.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Don Mattingly XRC Replicards from Baseball Cards Magazine are really cool.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>I have been a New York Yankees fan since I was 7 years old. My favorite Yankees player of all time has been Don Mattingly ever since I was in high school. My best friend treated me to Don Mattingly Day at Yankee Stadium on August 31, 1997. I have since had Donnie Baseball sign my ticket stub from that historic day. Recently, I have been a little bit conflicted about my loyalty to the New York Yankees. Please do not misunderstand me. They are still my favorite baseball team. I just don't know what I would do if the New York Yankees were to face the Los Angeles Dodgers in the World Series. I may find myself rooting for Donnie to win his first World Series rather than the New York Yankees to win their 28th.

I thought that it would be fun to create a discussion that is related to Don Mattingly for collectors to share anything and everything that they wish to share. Do you collect Don Mattingly baseball cards? Does your sports memorabilia collection contain any unique Don Mattingly items? What are your personal experiences that you would like to share about him? Does he deserve to be in the National Baseball Hall of Fame? I look forward to reading your responses as well as sharing some additional things of my own.

If you would like to discuss Don Mattingly's managerial abilities and/or tactics as well, I have posted the link to another discussion below.

Don Mattingly's Managerial Abilities and/or Tactics >>

Great thread, both this one & the one on his managerial abilities!image
  • Options
    Thanks Cocoa Beach Dodgers. I purchased two more 2014 Don Mattingly baseball cards today. I know that they are not worth a lot of money, but I simply can't resist.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy what you like regardless of the price. Thats what collecting is all about. Memories don't have to cost too much.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>That framed picture with a personal letter is nothing short of amazing. That's something that can easily become a family heirloom. >>

Thanks, obviously I'll never part with it.

Dan great job with the customs, they look fantastic.

• Options
    I added a few more 2014 basic cards to my collection.

• Options
    Custom - 1981 Donruss

• Options
    Very nice.
  • Options
    Newest custom - 1973 Topps

• Options
    Hey, Don's Dodgers currently have the best record in the league, so they're doing something right! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>Shave those sideburns! >>

Look Mr. Burns I don't know what you think sideburns are...
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    I added another card to my collection today.

• Options
    I have always wanted to own a Don Mattingly autograph card. I finally purchased one. Do collectors traditionally prefer purchasing a certified autograph card directly from a sports card company, or would they rather purchase a card that has later been autographed by the player and authenticated by PSA/DNA?
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Mattingly was my idol growing up. I was the only lefty on my little league team in 1984 and was forced to play first base. That season Mattingly tore it up and as a Yankees fan I not only embraced playing 1B but also Mattingly as the face of my favorite team. I was in denial when he retired in '95 thinking he has something left and perhaps the Yanks were on the brink of great things and wanted him to be part of it. He was definitely a player that you wondered what would have happened if he never inured his lower back? Would he continue to rake after 1989 and enter Cooperstown? Would his career end in 1995 right before the Yankee run started? I am biased and feel that things would have ended differently if he was healthy throughout his career.

I have a signed jersey, autographed 16X20, and all of his rookie cards. My favorite is the 1984 Topps Tiffany followed closely by the classic '84 Donruss. My favorite Mattingly purchase was a "Hit Man" poster that I had in my room as a kid. Completely forgot about it and randomly found it on eBay and proudly display it in my basement.

Great post.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    My best friend gave me that same poster as a gift at my high school graduation party in 1987. It was mounted onto a piece of wood. He purchased it from a craftsman who sold mounted posters at the Danbury Fair Mall at the time. I have no idea where it is today.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Danbury Fair Mall? You must have been to Aaron's card store then?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658