Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hank Aaron card values

Does anyone think his card values will go down in value with his last couple of KKK laced tirades? This is getting real old and boring.

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Full interview

WOW he is bitter.
    It appears he is suggesting that the ratio of whites to blacks in baseball is racially driven at this point. Seriously?

• mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    oh good. glad there's more race-baiting trash on the boards. I'd so missed it.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>This is getting real old and boring. >>

i agree. please stop posting ridiculous nonsense and just brag about your own cards.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

i agree. please stop posting ridiculous nonsense and just brag about your own cards. >>

+1

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His cards will only continue to rise as modern players revere his record, and he is still a part of the zeitgeist today. For many, it's about the performance between the lines, unless we are talking about criminal behavior. There was a great deal of racism before Jackie Robinson, and yet Ty Cobb's cards, for example, still sell for quite the pretty penny.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

I collect steroid abusers, drug abusers, racists, womanizers, con artists, murders, KKK members, sex offenders, bad debters, and any other bad thing you can think of.

That being said I think it is a fair question. Mike Tyson collectables would have much greater value if his personal life wasn't what it is.

If a white athlete made statements with these racial type comments every news organization would be calling for their head.

There may be absolutely no impact but this is the type of thing that could make someone no longer interested in collecting his cards.
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    I daresay the opposite DPeck - that Tyson's cards would be worth substantially less if he wasn't such an insane sideshow and integral part of the American "rise meteorically and crash spectacularly" cultural scene. Larry Holmes ain't in no Hangover movies.
  • ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    First off, I realize what was done and said to Aaron was way worse and I'm trying to equate the two. But I find it interesting, odd, and hypocritical that he is generalizing about a group of people who don't agree with his politics. Kinda sorta like what people did to him based on his color. You would think that someone like Aaron who experienced that first hand would know how wrong it is to engage in that kind of generalization.

Edited to add: I do think it will hurt the short term value somewhat. But long term value still solid.

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's impossible to know, but I take the opinion that Tyson's performance was hurt by poor life choices, and had he reached a higher plateau, had he achieved more, had he stayed at the top longer, then he would be more widely and passionately collected-- and in turn his cards would be worth more. This is not exactly the same as saying his messy personal life directly impairs his card values. Rather, the poor personal life choices adversely impacted his work, which adversely impacted his card values-- as compared to what they could have been. Darryl Strawberry is a similar case. With a better head on his shoulders and better work ethic, who knows what italics would be on the back of Straw's baseball card. For me, it all comes down to performance; how one lives one's life (for the most part) is not my concern when appreciating their on field achievements; but when their personal life limits or curtails those achievements, it in effect robs them of greatness that could have been, and in that way does play a role in limiting their collectibles' value.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• I think that he has a right to be bitter, after what he went through...segregation, death threats, etc. It would be great if he could move past it, but it is understandable if he cannot.
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Definitely sounds like he has some physiological problem. I hope he doesn't go off the deep end like Mike Tyson.
  • JuggsJuggs Posts: 495

<< <i>I think that he has a right to be bitter, after what he went through...segregation, death threats, etc. It would be great if he could move past it, but it is understandable if he cannot. >>

Agreed.

I'd say walk a mile in his shoes, but I probably wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    You guys make some good points on Tyson. I have just always felt some would shy away from him due to his personal life. I could be wrong on this. Those issues clearly hurt his performance and perhaps that is the ultimate reason. Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden are two good examples that have had similar issues and ultimately their bad behaviour led to their careers declining and their collectables too. I have to think though in some capacity their popularity wained as fans got tired of seeing their names in the headlines and this was where I was coming from.

I certainly can't begin to imagine what it was life to deal with the issues that Hank Aaron did. That being said this constant belief from leaders such as him in the black community that every white person is racist I believe keeps it going.

To suggest I don't like Obama becuase he is black is an insult to me. I don't care for him and it has zero to do with the color of his skin.

I could easily see some rich white guy being turned off and having no interest in his cards. For me I can look past personal issues when dealing with collectables but once again it is a valid question becuase I could see some not being able to.

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    No comment.Not the right forum for this.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone think all Braves cards will go down in value now that they are flag-burners?

• BruceinGaBruceinGa Posts: 268 ✭✭

<< <i>No comment.Not the right forum for this. >>

+1
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

i agree. please stop posting ridiculous nonsense and just brag about your own cards. >>

+1 >>

Co-sign

<< <i>If a white athlete made statements with these racial type comments every news organization would be calling for their head. >>

You mean like when Bob Feller said most Latino players didn't understand the rules of Baseball?
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that he has a right to be bitter, after what he went through...segregation, death threats, etc. It would be great if he could move past it, but it is understandable if he cannot. >>

Have you seen the hate mail Tony Romo gets, I bet he gets twice as many death threats. I'm not making light of it, but those are just common things for star athletes to deal with.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    12 Years A Slave won the Best Picture Award this year, so it appears that race, both in the past and the present, is still relevant, not just here, but worldwide.
  • lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    Bill Buckner and Mitch Williams, to name just a few, received hundreds if not thousands of death threat letters, phone calls etc. Just awful that they had to endure such hatred for playing a game. There are numerous other ballplayers like Aaron, Buckner and Williams who have experienced such unfortunate circumstances.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No comment.Not the right forum for this. >>

+1 >>

Agreed but I think the topic of racial composition in baseball is a fair topic. To me, it seems that the reasons have more to do with basketball and football being more prominent and baseball being less prominent in black communities these days. Meanwhile, international players make up an ever increasing percentage of MLB rosters these days. I think those factors probably play a dominant role. Just my perception and not based on studying any facts. I'd like to see that trend reverse so that baseball once again becomes the most popular sport like it was 30-40 years ago. The health issues in the NFL may result in a shift back to more focus on baseball at the youth levels.

• << <i>Does anyone think all Braves cards will go down in value now that they are flag-burners?

image >>

yes. haha

I'm writing the Aaron stuff off as being 80 and still living in the days 40 years ago like all 80 year olds do. don't care what he says now. will blow it off if lame. Aaron ruled.
  • BruceinGaBruceinGa Posts: 268 ✭✭
    I've had time to think about this. The og poster's question was did we think his card value will go down. Although I haven't bought any high end cards I don't think his remarks will have much influence on card prices.
    If Bruce Jenner actually goes ahead and has the gender reassignment surgery that he seems to desire, will that affect the prices of his memorabilia? Or will a whole new fan base be created?
  • LOL at people like him who DONT think Democrats hold black people back.

Looks like hammerin Hank took too many shots to the head. The people who cry racism the most are usually the most racist. Wonder what he thinks about the late KKK leader Robert Byrd?
    Wow, one of the greatest players of all time gets trunkloads full of vile hate mail during what should have been the most gratifying time in his career, and you call him a racist? Did you also think that black people in the South built their own bathrooms because they didn't want to share the same toilet seats as whites?
    Why is this topic off limits?

Asset prices move on news and this is news worthy. It may have no impact but it certainly should be able to be discussed.

Hank is the one that has come out as a huge racist. Not those of discussing this.

This is a message board dedicated to trading cards and I personally believe we should be able to have an adult discussion about this.

If Michael Jordan committed murder tonight I would like to think we could talk about it. Or Don Mattingly or whomever.

• ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    WTB: Hank Aaron 1954 Topps PSA 9+
    Thanks again.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is this topic off limits?

Asset prices move on news and this is news worthy. It may have no impact but it certainly should be able to be discussed.

Hank is the one that has come out as a huge racist. Not those of discussing this.

This is a message board dedicated to trading cards and I personally believe we should be able to have an adult discussion about this.

If Michael Jordan committed murder tonight I would like to think we could talk about it. Or Don Mattingly or whomever. >>

Your premise on its face value is valid but threads like these inevitably devolve into armchair political debates in which opinionated individuals feel the need to declare how they have it all figured out. That's why political threads and discussions about race or religion have no place on this forum. The man is entitled to his opinions no matter how much you may disagree with them, and I severely doubt anyone on this message board is even remotely qualified to cast judgment on those opinions.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>

If Michael Jordan committed murder tonight I would like to think we could talk about it. Or Don Mattingly or whomever. >>

Your premise on its face value is valid but threads like these inevitably devolve into armchair political debates in which opinionated individuals feel the need to declare how they have it all figured out. That's why political threads and discussions about race or religion have no place on this forum. The man is entitled to his opinions no matter how much you may disagree with them, and I severely doubt anyone on this message board is even remotely qualified to cast judgment on those opinions. >>

Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Not like this is a Hillary or Sean Hannity topic. A sports legend makes headline news for something he says and it cant be discussed on a sports message board?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Your premise on its face value is valid but threads like these inevitably devolve into armchair political debates in which opinionated individuals feel the need to declare how they have it all figured out. That's why political threads and discussions about race or religion have no place on this forum. The man is entitled to his opinions no matter how much you may disagree with them, and I severely doubt anyone on this message board is even remotely qualified to cast judgment on those opinions. >>

Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Not like this is a Hillary or Sean Hannity topic. A sports legend makes headline news for something he says and it cant be discussed on a message board? >>

You didn't last one post above before you started spouting how Democrats hold back blacks. So thanks for proving my point.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Not like this is a Hillary or Sean Hannity topic. A sports legend makes headline news for something he says and it cant be discussed on a message board? >>

You didn't last one post above before you started spouting how Democrats hold back blacks. So thanks for proving my point. >>

You're very welcome. At least I didn't compare them to the kkk or the Nazi's.
    The adage "walk a mile in another man's shoes" has never been more appropriate. Those of you who have never been discriminated against, and had that discrimination upheld by law, really don't know what it was like for Hank, and to say he should or shouldn't feel a certain way now, or keep his opinions to himself, probably wish that they could erase a big part of history.
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Now that i think about my original question and now reading some of these post's.... how is it that Barry Bonds is basically able to laugh this all off as it's like nothing to him and NOT act/talk like Hank.? I'm pretty sure he is old enough to have felt some of this growing up or at the least experienced it on the road with his dad and Godfather.

• << <i>The adage "walk a mile in another man's shoes" has never been more appropriate. Those of you who have never been discriminated against, and had that discrimination upheld by law, really don't know what it was like for Hank, and to say he should or shouldn't feel a certain way now, or keep his opinions to himself, probably wish that they could erase a big part of history. >>

Please save your white guilt.

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    I do think that there is a good chance that Mr. Aaron's recent comments will negatively affect the value of his cards and memorabillia
    in the near-to-mid term, as there are plenty of smal-minded people who will just look at them superficially instead of looking at the big
    picture and Hank's entire history.

What Hank Aaron endured during his chase of the Babe's record was DISGRACEFUL and COMPLETELY UNJUSTIFIABLE. He was victimized,
    discriminated against and threatened with death for no other reason than because he was a black man chasing one of the most important
    records in our national past time than was held by a white man. There is no way to justify such hate, and the neanderthals who made such
    threats and treated him in such a way. And whoever tried to equate the threats that Bill Buckner received for making an error in the WS
    (which were also wrong, but nowhere near as abominable) to this kind of hate crime needs to step back and get a little perspective.

Something about this just doesn't add up. Aaron has always been one of the classiest heros of the game. Up until recently he always exhibited
    exceptional restraint and grace by holding back and not speaking out on this, and many other controversial subjects. His recent remarks are
    completely out of character for him, leaving me wondering if the cause of these remarks could be tied to something else like a medical condition that
    is causing some changes in his personality (e.g. the beginnings of some form of dementia, alzheimers, etc. could easily be at the root of these recent
    comments).

Aaron was never about bitterness, and I refuse to believe that he suddenly changed his point of view so dramatically. There has to be something more to this story
    that we don't know yet. I'm just hoping that if it turns out to be along the lines that I surmized above that all efforts will be made to try to reverse it.

Dave
    Comparing the public personas of Barry Bonds and Hank Aaron is like apples to oranges. For at least half of his career, in certain parts of the country, Hank couldn't eat in the same restaurants as his teammates, except for Bill Bruton, Wes Covington and the small number of black players that the Braves had at the time. He didn't stay in the same hotels, mostly at boarding houses in the black part of town. By the time Bonds started, those things were a thing of the past. To the poster who compared the death threats that Hank was receiving to threats that Tony Romo may or may not receive now, it's important to look at the history of this country. MLK and RFK were assassinated just six years prior to the year Hank was going after the record, and with the state of technology what it was 40 years ago, a whacko carrying out an attempt at shooting him was a real possibility. Things are better now, but I don't begrudge Hank for remembering the way things were, and refusing to gloss over history in order to make it more palatable to those who can't handle the truth.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The adage "walk a mile in another man's shoes" has never been more appropriate. Those of you who have never been discriminated against, and had that discrimination upheld by law, really don't know what it was like for Hank, and to say he should or shouldn't feel a certain way now, or keep his opinions to himself, probably wish that they could erase a big part of history. >>

Please save your white guilt. >>

You say white guilt, others might say humanity.
  • If any of you Hank-hating gas bags have any high grade Hank Aaron cards they'd like to unload as a symbol of their righteous indignation, please PM me with pics and prices.

mkkk?
    If they had'em, they went up in a bonfire, along with those books with them funny ideas.
  • Obama has had death threats since he took office. Is that an excuse for him if he made similar racist remarks?

Condemning an entire segment of American society says a lot about the man. He was a national hero after passing the Babe. Now we see him as a bitter old man still living in the past. Shame on him. I thought he was above calling people names. Where's the facts, Hank? Playing the race card after all this country has done for him is disgraceful.
This discussion has been closed.