Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Meeting up at the National - Cleveland 2014

Hey Guys,

In light of Dusto's thread, I thought it might be good to start up a thread again this year listing all those who will be attending the 2014 National in Cleveland so we can meet up with our fellow board members. I had a great time meeting a bunch of you guys last year at the BBCE booth and hope to catch up with even more of you this year. Since the National is so large and most guys like a good rip, my suggestion again is to get together at the BBCE booth again this year at 2:30pm each day of the National from Thursday through Saturday. I figured Wednesday is too short a day to take time out to meet and Sunday people would be too busy getting ready to leave, but we could always add those days if there is enough interest. Since 2:00pm worked out well last year, I thought 2:30pm would be good as most guys like to walk the floor in the mornings and we all like to make plans at night. I moved it by a half hour so as not to rush lunch. image

Please post away with any thoughts you have about any changes regarding days, times, etc. and thanks in advance for your input.

I've started a list below for everyone that replies to this thread along with the dates they will be attending as well. Look for the big daily 2:30pm rips at the BBCE booth.

You are under no obligation to actually rip anything and I, in fact, highly discourage any rippage. image

1) Mike aka cpamike - Tuesday to Saturday.
2) Dusto - Friday to Saturday.
3) Dustin aka Doublestriker - Tuesday to Saturday.
4) PM770 - Thursday to Saturday.
5) Mike aka mknez - All week.
6) Kirk aka mrmint23 - Tuesday to Saturday.
7) Scott aka ssollars - Wednesday to Friday.
8) Jeff aka cardcountry - All week.
9) Jeff aka jeffcbay - Saturday. image
10) Chris aka jordangretzkyfan - Wednesday to Thursday.
11) Scott aka otwcards - All week.
12) Dan aka thunderdan - Friday to Sunday.
13) Brian aka ChiefsFan1st - Thursday to Friday.
14) Todd aka ClockworkAngel - Thursday to Saturday.
15) Eric aka ThoseBackPages
16) Mark aka cincyredlegs - Thursday to Friday.
17) Chris aka cree - All week.
18) The Crisser - Thursday.
19) Jeff aka 76collector - Saturday to Sunday.
20) Don aka RyanAdmirer - Saturday to Sunday.
21) Al aka alnavman - TBD
22) Tom aka RonBurgundy - TBD
23) Alan aka Zilla - Wednesday to Saturday.
24) Bob aka BobS - Friday to Saturday.
25) Dave aka 70ToppsFanatic - Wednesday to Friday.
26) Jim aka Vintagefun - Wednesday to Thursday.
27) basketballcollector - All week.
28) Terry aka 1neatstuff - Thursday to Friday.
29) Kevin aka kgibson - Friday to Saturday.
30) Sean aka biggmacc aka Sean1125
31) Paul aka moonlightgraham - Thursday to Saturday.
32) Eric aka Pre72 - All week.
33) Bicey10 - Wednesday to Saturday.
34) CSUrunandstun - Friday.
35) or246 - One day TBD (Real name not shown, cough...cough).
36) James aka parkerj - Tentatively Thursday.
37) Matt aka hammered - Wednesday to Thursday.
38) Tyler aka Dty - Thursday to Friday, possibly Wednesday.
39) Greg aka ghooper33 - Friday to Saturday.
40) Nathan aka 1980scollector - Friday to Saturday.

Since many guys go to the PSA luncheon, I also started a list for those that plan to attend that as well. And the invitations have now gone out. image

PSA Luncheon List
1) cpamike
2) Doublestriker
3) mknez
4) ssollars
5) thosebackpages
6) cincyredlegs
7) kgibson
8) CSUrunandstun
9) Dty
10) thunderdan

CU Board Member Dealers List
1) Jeff aka cardcountry - Card Country, Booth 1947.
2) Sean aka biggmacc aka Sean1125 - Sean Bassik, Booth 1949.

EDITED TO ADD: I know some guys on the board are setting up at the show so if you would like to share your booth location, I'll post it here so we can bring the party to you as well as maybe some cash. Thanks for the idea Bruce!!!

EDITED TO ADD, PART II PM basketballcollector if you are interested in getting together one night for dinner as he is meeting up with other basketball collectors. Go figure. image
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

Comments

• Mike. I will be there Tuesday thru Saturday as well and be attending the PSA luncheon. By the way I sent you a p.m. yesterday.
  • PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

<< <i>1) cpamike - Tuesday to Saturday.
    3) PM770 - Thursday to Saturday (I'll be there with my 9 & 7 year olds on Sunday, too)

Since many guys go to the PSA luncheon, I also started a list for that as well. And no, the invitations haven't gone out yet so you aren't on the banned list, LOL.

PSA Luncheon List
    1) >>

I work about 5 miles from the site of the National, so I'll certainly be there and look forward to meeting any and all of you.
    1) cpamike - Tuesday to Saturday.
    3) Doublestriker - Tuesday to Saturday
    4) PM770 - Thursday to Saturday

I've added this to neaten up the list. And added Doublestriker's name (hope you don't mind). See you in July!

• mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    I plan to be there all week, including the psa lunch.

------
    stupid print dots

• mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Tuesday-Saturday if Steve Grad will let me stay in the building..LOL

• << <i>Tuesday-Saturday if Steve Grad will let me stay in the building..LOL >>

This was Classic!
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be in the area all week and plan to being at the show Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I also plan on attending the PSA Luncheon.

Scott
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there every day, but will be at my booth.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll be there every day, but will be at my booth.

Jeff >>

Don't worry Jeff, I'll send everyone directions to find you.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Ha ha Mike. If it's like last year, just head to the back corner! LOL

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Pencil me in for Saturday! image
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I plan to be there Thursday through Saturday and possibly Wednesday. How do we get into the PSA Luncheon?
  • jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be there Wednesday through Friday. Looking forward to meeting this group in person.

<< <i>Mike, I plan to be there Thursday through Saturday and possibly Wednesday. How do we get into the PSA Luncheon? >>

John, PSA sends you an invitation if you are on the set registry. I don't recall exactly when the invitations come out.

Collecting:
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tuesday-Saturday if Steve Grad will let me stay in the building..LOL >>

No worries, Kirk. If he doesn't, you can always do Patron shots with Don Larsen across the way.

• mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Dan, you just won't let me forget. Sure will be different this year without Matt.

<< <i>

No worries, Kirk. If he doesn't, you can always do Patron shots with Don Larsen across the way. >>

Dan, your avatar looks like he's been doing Patron shots.

Collecting:
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Waldo will be there . . . and incognito.

<< <i>Dan, you just won't let me forget. Sure will be different this year without Matt. >>

Only messing with you Kirk. Look forward to hanging with you guys. I'll be there Friday through Sunday.

Agree...total bummer about Matt not coming

<< <i>

<< <i>

No worries, Kirk. If he doesn't, you can always do Patron shots with Don Larsen across the way. >>

Dan, your avatar looks like he's been doing Patron shots. >>

I've put on a little weight since last national, mike. We might be eating sushi this year. Save me from myself

• dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in going but will have to see as the date draws nearer. I'll keep you posted.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Dan, your avatar looks like he's been doing Patron shots. >>

I've put on a little weight since last national, mike. We might be eating sushi this year. Save me from myself >>

I haven't so White Castle for me. image Wait, are there even White Castle's in Ohio?

Collecting:
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Planning on making this the yearly family vacation! Turned in the vacation request at work.... approved!!! YES
    But wait, the WRONG BLEEPIN DATESimage
    But I was assured they will straighten it out, probably in November knowing my luck.

But yes, I will be there, 1 way or the other. Will have to let you know the days I will be there(hopefully I will
    know next week)
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I will be there at least Thursday through Saturday! Damn i need to get going on a flight and hotel room, it's creeping up on me

Todd
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    What is this show about?

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    I will be there on Thursday and Friday.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

• << <i>I will be there on Thursday and Friday.

Mark >>

Mark I was hoping you would be there longer. image

<< <i>What is this show about?

image >>

Not sure, but any excuse to leave the kids at home works for me. image

Collecting:
  • creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I will be there all week. It's only a half hour away from home. Can't miss it.

<< <i>Wait, are there even White Castle's in Ohio? >>

Yes there are! In fact there is one about 6-7 miles I would guess from the site of the National.

<< <i>

<< <i>Wait, are there even White Castle's in Ohio? >>

Yes there are! In fact there is one about 6-7 miles I would guess from the site of the National. >>

Yes!!!! Looks like my late night snack is all set up. image

Collecting:
  • NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Jeez - there's no hotels where you could walk to the I-X center??
    Nikklos
    Nope, just a giant airport.

• alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    there is one hotel at the airport. used to be a Sheraton, don't know if it still is or not....guess I need to take a ride over there one day to check.....I guess you could walk from the airport to the show but it is a hike and a half......I live close and like JeffcBay says there is no close hotels......

al.
  • From what I recall, it would be a long barren hike pedestrian wise. No sidewalk, gravel,very busy car wise. Runs along the freeway. Basically, not a good walk. ESP if ur carrying anything. It's along an airport so security wise may have really changed. I'd plan on driving. There is a nice restaurant atnthe end of the runway.

Def no where near downtown or where the stadiums etc are.

?...so u guys that are getting thurs, is that the early entry VIP day? Need a special ticket, dealers only?
    Thx
  • BruceinGaBruceinGa Posts: 268 ✭✭
    I just started thinking about attending this past weekend. I would like to be there Wednesday through Sunday but my son wants to fly in on Friday and leave Sunday morning. I may ride up with a dealer that lives near by. I'll post when things are decided.
    Thanks for getting this together.
    btw, this will be my first NSCC.
    Bruce

• << <i>Tuesday-Saturday if Steve Grad will let me stay in the building..LOL >>

Just wondering....Is that the same Steve Grad that took 268.00 from me to Authenticate and Grade my 1953 Team signed Cleveland Browns ball, that my Grandfather left me in his will, had packed away for 59 years where it never saw light, was in ABSOLUTELY PRISTINE condition, then I hand delivered it to PSA in Santa Ana, Ca. handed over 268.00 for him to tell me the Ball was STAMPED. Then I took the Ball to James Spence, who ACTUALLY DID HIS JOB, Authenticated the Ball, and gave me a FULL LOA.

Is that the SAME Steve Grad ?

Just wondering .....
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • RyanAdmirerRyanAdmirer Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I shall be there on Saturday and Sunday. It will be my first.

Do I remember reading somewhere that PSA had a $5/card special there last year? For some reason I can swear I remember reading that....or perhaps it was just something I dreamed about.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
    I hope PSA does have a special.
    It looks as if I'll be driving up with my wife and I plan to be there Wed through Saturday.
    My wife will be checking out the antique malls in Cleveland.
    If you get a hotel anywhere close to the IX Center they are bound to offer shuttle service to the IX Center. Might want to ask when booking.

As for PSA Grading Specials at the show, it's actually pretty expensive to get in-show grading. I remembering it being something like $25-$30 per card to have cards graded in time to be picked up that weekend. However, they do accept Collector's Club Specials at their booth, but the cards will be taken back to Newport Beach and shipped back to you after what seems like an eternity. You still pay return shipping fees... the only thing you do save is the cost of shipping it to them.

Another note, I'm fairly certain you have to pay to park at the IX Center for this show.

<< <i>My wife will be checking out the antique malls in Cleveland. >>

Have her check out The Medina Antique Mall on Route 18 near I-71. Pretty good place not too far from the show.

<< <i>?...so u guys that are getting thurs, is that the early entry VIP day? Need a special ticket, dealers only?
    Thx >>

The early VIP day is Wednesday evening. Here is the link with the show hours and ticket information, respectively.

National Sports Collectors Convention

Admission Tickets and VIP Packages

Collecting:
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Jeffcbay is a good dude. I'll be there, drinks on me if you can find me
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be there on Saturday and Sunday. Hope to meet more guys from the boards this year, maybe have a beer Saturday night or something. It might be nice to add everyone's first name. You know but some here probably don't. My name is Jeff.
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman

• << <i>I will be there on Saturday and Sunday. Hope to meet more guys from the boards this year, maybe have a beer Saturday night or something. It might be nice to add everyone's first name. You know but some here probably don't. My name is Jeff. >>

Nice to meet ya Jeff. I'll be there the same days, and I've been known to partake in drinking a few beers. My name's Don btw.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!

<< <i>It might be nice to add everyone's first name. You know but some here probably don't. My name is Jeff. >>

Are you saying I get around? image

Great idea and I added everyone's first name to the original post. I think I only don't know one person's first name.

Edited to add: It was two. Feel free to PM or reply to this thread and I'll get your first name posted. Thanks!

Collecting:
    [qHave her check out The Medina Antique Mall on Route 18 near I-71. Pretty good place not too far from the show. >>

Thanks Jeff, we'll check it out!
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    is everyone wearing PSA hats so they can be recognized as thread members???? name is Al by the way and I will be there also.....and yes they do sell beer there and I will be residing at bar for at least one....only bad thing is the prices are so high at the IX center is that if you buy more than one you won't be able to buy any collectibles.....went to the auto show there this year since the wife and I were in market for a new car and I was shocked at the beer prices.

al.

<< <i>Jeffcbay is a good dude. I'll be there, drinks on me if you can find me >>

You're on! Our last date was in a Khol's parking lot! lol

If anyone wants to find me, I'll be the tall ugly guy, probably wearing a 2001 All-Star Ripken jersey. image

<< <i>is everyone wearing PSA hats so they can be recognized as thread members???? name is Al by the way and I will be there also.....and yes they do sell beer there and I will be residing at bar for at least one....only bad thing is the prices are so high at the IX center is that if you buy more than one you won't be able to buy any collectibles.....went to the auto show there this year since the wife and I were in market for a new car and I was shocked at the beer prices.

al. >>

Hey Al, what I did last year is to let guys know what I was wearing on a particular day and they would come up to me. I would then introduce them to the other CU guys. I know quite a few of the guys already from previous Nationals and it is easier than having everyone put on name tags for example.

Since guys come on different days, if you could let me know what specific days you will be there, it will make it easier for the guys to be on the lookout for you. If you aren't sure yet, I'll just post "TBD". Thanks!!

Edited to add: I know 13 of the 23 guys on the list already so it is probably easier to just find me at the BBCE booth as I'm usually there most of the time anyway. image

Collecting: