Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

charrigan's Pick Ups

Hey All,

One of my favorite things about the boards is the opportunity to see all of the cool stuff that you all collect. Sometimes, the best items aren't those that would be at the top of an eBay search filtered for "Price: highest first", but are the small things that have value to a collector. It has been special to see the unique items that each of you collect and I really appreciate it.

I want to give back a bit and show off some of the card eye candy that I've recently acquired. Hope you enjoy!

A little bit about what I collect:
--I've been working primarily on a PSA-graded 1961 Parkhurst hockey set. Working on a single set is a nice way to stay focused in a hobby where it is easy to get lost in a sea of amazing collectibles
--That said, I've recently branched out slightly, to also work on collecting a PSA/DNA authenticated autographed version of the set. It is likely impossible, as there are several cards that will be extremely difficult to find (Horton, Sawchuk, Plante, primarily...), but it is a fun challenge and let me believe that even if I don't end up with the #1 PSA set, I can have my own #1 "Master" set.
--I am a lifelong Detroit Red Wings fan and I collect all sorts of items related to the team. There isn't much focus here, other than things that I deem to be awesome in the moment. I definitely have liked certain players more than others and collect based on my personal biases, totally independent of market-determined value.
--I recently started doing a few TTMs, mostly to former Wings. Amazing stuff to know that one of your Heroes read your letter and took the time to send a reply. I haven't been crazy about this (I've sent under 50 letters so far), but it is a heck of a lot of fun.

With that, some SCANS.

First, two signed cards for the PSA/DNA set. Both happen to be Wings, which is even better.

imageimage

The Litzenberger looks much better in hand. High rez scans really bring out the worst in creases. Solid first-glance eye appeal. I am nearing 50% completion in PSA/DNA authenticated 61 Parkies.

Next, two signed cards purchased on eBay of some Wings young guys. If any of you follow the team, you'll know they've been wrecked by injuries this year. A lot of young players have stepped up and it has been fun to get a view of the "future" of the team. One of Tatar, who looks like a stud, and other of Anthony Mantha, who is probably over a year away from the NHL, but has been tearing up the QMJHL.

imageimage

Last, two TTM returns from today. Both solid players; Federko is a HOFer.

imageimage

I plan to update this thread with future pick ups. Thanks for looking.

Casey

Comments

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Neat stuff, thanks for sharing. I grew up in St. Louis and remember when Bernie Federko played for the Blues. Seeing that name brought back some memories.
  • I don't even collect hockey cards and I loved looking at your pickups. You're right, that's the best part of this board, showing off and enjoying looking thru others' collections. I've got something very exciting (to me) coming Wednesday and I can't wait to show off.
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Love it. I did a lot of TTM to hockey HOfers in the early 90s and I was amazed at how many took the time to write back full page responses.

Let me know if you are looking for any addresses.
  • JuggsJuggs Posts: 495
    Nice. Klima was one of my favorites.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the pickups. To me, the coolest part of this board is when people share pics of their collections. Wish we had more threads like this!
    Steve

• << <i>Congratulations on the pickups. To me, the coolest part of this board is when people share pics of their collections. Wish we had more threads like this! >>

+ a million. I never get sick of looking at people's collections!
  • Poppage today on my pre-56 February CC special. Was happy that it popped so soon. Once you pass the early "window", it seems like you're in for a long haul. Mostly hockey, with some non-sports, baseball, and football. Nearly all FS if anyone wants to take a look. I will be out of town for work for the next week, so I may be slow in responding to PMs, so apologies in advance.

Order #20783089 / Submission #8151170
    Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 22543083 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1911 W.D. & H.O. WILLS CELEBRATED SHIPS 8 NAUTILUS Card
    2 1 22543084 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1911 W.D. & H.O. WILLS CELEBRATED SHIPS 2 MERRIMAC & MONITOR Card
    3 1 22543085 EXCELLENT 5 1911 W.D. & H.O. WILLS CELEBRATED SHIPS 6 VICTORIA & ALBERT Card
    4 1 22543086 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1911 W.D. & H.O. WILLS CELEBRATED SHIPS 15 GREAT WESTERN Card
    5 1 22543087 N5: ALTERED STOCK 1911 W.D. & H.O. WILLS CELEBRATED SHIPS 38 MATTHEW Card
    6 1 22543088 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1911 W.D. & H.O. WILLS CELEBRATED SHIPS 17 BRITANNIA Card
    7 1 22543089 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1911 W.D. & H.O. WILLS CELEBRATED SHIPS 19 ALABAMA Card
    8 1 22543090 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1911 W.D. & H.O. WILLS CELEBRATED SHIPS 25 MAYFLOWER Card
    9 1 22543091 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1911 W.D. & H.O. WILLS CELEBRATED SHIPS 24 HALF MOON Card
    10 1 22543092 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1911 W.D. & H.O. WILLS CELEBRATED SHIPS 12 GULL STREAM LIGHTSHIP Card
    11 1 22543093 N5: ALTERED STOCK 1909-1911 T206 PIEDMONT BILLY GILBERT Card
    12 1 22543094 GOOD 2 1925 DOMINION CHOCOLATE 84 R. "RED" GREEN Card
    13 1 22543095 EXCELLENT-MINT+ 6.5 1951 BERK ROSS 3-16 SID ABEL Card
    14 1 22543096 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1951 LAVAL DAIRY QSHL 75 KITOUTE JOANNETTE Card
    15 1 22543097 EXCELLENT 5 1951 LAVAL DAIRY QSHL 95 JACQUES LOCAS Card
    16 1 22543098 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1951 LAVAL DAIRY QSHL 100 LES DOUGLAS Card
    17 1 22543099 N5: ALTERED STOCK 1951 PARKHURST 64 SID ABEL Card
    18 1 22543100 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1951 PARKHURST 3 BUTCH BOUCHARD Card
    19 1 22543101 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1951 PARKHURST 88 BOB SOLINGER Card
    20 1 22543102 VERY GOOD 3 1951 PARKHURST 47 HARRY LUMLEY Card
    21 1 22543103 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1951 PARKHURST 65 METRO PRYSTAI Card
    22 1 22543104 N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1951 BOWMAN 51 ED SPRINKLE Card
    23 1 22543105 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1952 PARKHURST 55 LEE FOGOLIN Card
    24 1 22543106 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1952 PARKHURST 45 SID SMITH Card
    25 1 22543107 NEAR MINT 7 1952 PARKHURST 67 RED KELLY Card
    26 1 22543108 VERY GOOD 3 1952 PARKHURST 21 ALLAN STANLEY Card
    27 1 22543109 VERY GOOD 3 1954 TOPPS 39 ALEX DELVECCHIO Card
    28 1 22543110 GOOD 2 1954 TOPPS 52 EARL REIBEL Card
    29 1 22543111 N5: ALTERED STOCK 1953 PARKHURST 12 HARRY WATSON Card
    30 1 22543112 VERY GOOD 3 1955 PARKHURST 77 JAMMED ON THE BOARDS Card
    31 1 22543113 EXCELLENT 5 1955 PARKHURST 42 BERT OLMSTEAD Card
    32 1 22543114 NEAR MINT 7 1955 TOPPS ALL-AMER. 93 WILLIE HESTON Card
    Total Items: 32
    Date Received: 2/8/2014
    Date Shipped: N/A
    Order Status: OK

Overall, I was fairly happy. There are always a few good surprises and a few not-so-good ones. I was happy to get a few cards slabbed that I intend to keep for the PC like the 1911 Celebrated Ships (purchased as a lot from PWCC), the 1951 Berk Ross Sid Abel (Red Wings PC) and the 1954 Topps Delvecchio and Reibel.

This batch had a number of cards that were previous rejects (N1/N5, mostly). 1 was slabbed (1951 Parkhurst Metro Prystai went from N5 to a PSA 4), others I will probably give up on. Several of the cards being returned unslabbed were SGC crackdowns, which is meh ...
  • A few items today.

First, two more signed Parkies for the PSA/DNA set. Larry Hillman and Bob Pulford. Pulford is a HOFer.

imageimage

This brings me to 32/51 for the set, or ~63%. Of those, close to half still need to be slabbed at some point in the future.

Second, a pretty cool signed card I picked up on eBay. This is a card signed by Gustav Nyquist of the Detroit Red Wings, who has been extremely hot in 2014. His autos aren't too expensive or hard to find, but this one is on a team photo from his junior year in college at Maine. These cards were printed by a local shop and can't have had a large print run, so I'm happy to have it.

Last, the "big" score. A card for my graded 1961 Parkhurst set. It's an upgrade from the PSA 8 that I had previously with much nicer centering. Like most people, the longer I focus on this, the more I value centering and some other "eye appeal" categories that I don't really think get strictly factored into numerical grade like toning (gotta have white borders!) and registration/focus. Anyway, here it is: 1961 Parkhurst #31 Terry Sawchuk Mint 9. HOF.

That's it for today. As I wrote above, I am heading out of town for a week, so there won't be updates until I get back, but I should have some more to show when I return. Thanks for looking.

Casey
  • Awesome stuff Casey!
  • Hope everyone had a good end of March! I have been traveling for the past week and finally returned home. It was an exhausting trip, but was nice to return to several packages from eBay! I've got several items to share over the next few days, but thought I would post some now.

First, another signed 61 Parkie. This one of Bob Turner. This card isn't in amazing condition and would be a candidate for an upgrade. Still, I am happy to have it, as it is a tough to find (Bob passed away in 2005).

Next, two cards for my Red Wings collection.

imageimage

Never hurts to pick up a Gem Mint 10 of one of my favorite players ever, Stevie Y. The Kindl is a rookie patch auto from 09-10 The Cup. These cards have a great aesthetic.

Finally, one from my most recent PSA sub, which my fiancee was nice enough to sign for while I was gone. I plan to sell most of the sub, but will be keeping this:

I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on the grade. It was a SGC 8 crack out. I have almost no experience with perforated cards like this. Does 6.5 mean there is probably a slight surface wrinkle somewhere? Doesn't really matter--as I plan to keep it as-is. Just wondering for the future.

All for now. Got a few nice TTMs while I was gone that I will be sharing soon, and a few other decent cards.

Casey
  • There's some great stuff here. Since I don't collect hockey, maybe this is a stupid question, but is that Y's rookie card?
  • Two TTMs, received today. Both are from HOFer Guy Lafleur, who generously signed these with a very fast turnaround time (Canada and back in under 3 weeks). They are both from 84-85 OPC--a set that I've been ripping fairly often and I like to use for TTM.

imageimage
  • Today's TTMs:

First, Henry Boucha. He nicely signed the card I mailed him and also sent an index card that detailed some of the highlights of his playing career. Nice addition to my Red Wings collection.

Second, one that I had been waiting for. This one double-dips as a TTM and one for my signed 1961 Parkhurst set. It brings me up to 33/51 complete. I also have to say a huge thanks to Alex Delvecchio, as he has now returned 2 separate TTM requests in just about a month. Not bad for a legendary HOFer!!

This card was a PSA 4 that I cracked out for TTM. The card and auto are extremely nice. Beautiful! Hopefully I will get this slabbed as part of Derrick's next PSA/DNA group sub.

Casey
  • One TTM today. This one is Red Berenson, former NHLer and now the longtime coach of the University of Michigan hockey team. Despite my strong distrust of anything affiliated with the Wolverines, you couldn't live in Michigan and have a complete hockey collection without something from him, as he has been an institution in the state for decades.

Not too much else going on. I did recently purchase two nice upgrades for my regular graded 1961 Parkhurst set, which I will definitely post when they arrive from Canada. I also consigned about 75 cards to PWCC today for the May auction to free up a bit of cash for my upcoming wedding and honeymoon, so I hope there are a lot of hungry bidders out there!

Casey

• << <i>There's some great stuff here. Since I don't collect hockey, maybe this is a stupid question, but is that Y's rookie card? >>

Thanks, Dan!

Yzerman's rookie card is in 1984 (either Topps or O-Pee-Chee). The OPC version is much tougher, due to print run and condition issues, and usually worth quite a bit more. An Yzerman OPC rookie in PSA 10 is worth about $1,500. So, I wish I owed one.

Instead, I've got this guy, that I subbed myself:

• That's a beautiful card. I LOVE the 84s. My favorite hockey card I own is my 84 OPC Bourque. I'd love to own the Gretzky one day.
  • One more TTM today.

This has been one of the cooler things about doing TTM. Mailing someone who is not necessarily a "star", but still someone connected to what you collect (in this case, the Red Wings). Getting this card signed by Dan Bolduc gave me the opportunity to look into his hockey history and learn a little bit about him as a player. Dan is not the biggest hockey name, but did play on the 1976 Olympic team and spent a few seasons in the NHL and a few more as a coach. The 79-80 OPC card is his rookie and is about as nice of a Bolduc signature as one could hope for.

imageimage

I included a back scan of this one because this set has one of the all-time best backs, IMO. Love the hockey skate design.

Casey
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Last, the "big" score. A card for my graded 1961 Parkhurst set. It's an upgrade from the PSA 8 that I had previously with much nicer centering. Like most people, the longer I focus on this, the more I value centering and some other "eye appeal" categories that I don't really think get strictly factored into numerical grade like toning (gotta have white borders!) and registration/focus. Anyway, here it is: 1961 Parkhurst #31 Terry Sawchuk Mint 9. HOF.
    >>

Sawchuck is a beauty. And I agree, toning is, after tilt, the most annoying defect that PSA ignores.
  • Only good thing about Monday is that it's a mail day!

A few decent pick-ups today.

One: a TTM return from Brent Ashton, part of my Red Wings collection. This one is nicely signed, and, perhaps more importantly, was postmarked on 4-4-14 by Canada Post, which is after their rate increase for U.S. Post took effect ($1.10 to $1.20). I was pretty sure that several of my cards were going to be lost in limbo due to insufficient postage, but this return gives me hope that those nice Canadians might let my $.10 shortage slide. I'll make it up to you, I promise!

Second, two more TTMs from Eddie Johnstone. These are 84 OPCs, which I have been ripping lately and using the commons and ungradable cards for TTM. While every player who signs deserves thanks, I have to say that Eddie went above-and-beyond. Not only did he nicely sign both cards I sent, he also put them between two thin pieces of cardboard for their return trip so they would be protected. I am honestly blown away that someone would take the time to do that. Amazing.

imageimage

Finally, an eBay purchase for my signed 61 Parkhurst set. Leo Labine. His playing years were '51-'62. This came up for auction and the seller generously agreed to my offer and ended it early. I have to say, I got an excellent deal on a nicely signed vintage card from a player deceased in '05. Finding signed cards for the set has been tricky; I am glad to have it. This should find its way to a PSA holder by the end of the summer.

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Casey,

Love the thread. While I'm a novice when it comes to hockey, I have always like Yzerman and I have at least one of his RC's somewhere in my parent's house (unfortunately it's the Topps version since I grew up in California). I like your OPC in PSA 8, it looks like a strong 8 to me with very nice centering. A bonus that it was self submitted. I think it is far more practical to buy cards already graded, but there is definitely a different kind of satisfaction in getting a card graded yourself. Thanks for the updates.
    Steve

• << <i>Casey,

Love the thread. While I'm a novice when it comes to hockey, I have always like Yzerman and I have at least one of his RC's somewhere in my parent's house (unfortunately it's the Topps version since I grew up in California). I like your OPC in PSA 8, it looks like a strong 8 to me with very nice centering. A bonus that it was self submitted. I think it is far more practical to buy cards already graded, but there is definitely a different kind of satisfaction in getting a card graded yourself. Thanks for the updates. >>

Thanks, Steve.

I am fairly new to the grading process, but so far I agree with your assessment. I have found it to be far more reliable and generally cost-effective to buy cards that are already graded. For cards that come up frequently on eBay, I've had really good luck with buying below VCP averages. The cards that I have sent for grading have either been cards that I personally wanted slabbed for protection (like the Abel above), cards that I have ripped myself and subbed mostly for fun, or cards that I've purchased well below the value of what I expect for them to grade. Generally, I have been trying to buy at about 2 grades lower than what I think an item will grade at. That tends to take off some of the hurt from the variability of grading. You'll miss a lot of cards if you only try to buy great deals, but there is so much material on eBay constantly that it is really no problem to wait if you aren't targeting one card or set specifically.
  • Few things today:

A couple of signed cards. The Yzerman is really nice, IMO, his "nice signature". In addition to being my absolute sports hero, he does have a solid signature. I wish the card showed him in a jersey playing, but I got the card for a great deal so I can't be too upset. I feel like Hull signatures are more rare than they probably should be. I'd be interested in the board's thoughts on authenticity. I have a bit of concern with the lack of smooth flow through the bottom of the "B" ...

imageimage

One TTM return. This one was also back from Canada and the letter was hand-marked "OK" in red, which makes me think the Canadians may have a grace period for applying the "insufficient postage" ban-hammer after the price change. Joe Daley, 1971 OPC, cool card. He retired and opened a card shop, which is awesome.

Now, some real goodies:

A very tough card for the signed Parkhurst set. George Armstrong, longtime captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs. HOFer. I gather that he is a tougher-than-normal signature to find (most guys of that era are VERY forthcoming signers... they are the best!). PSA/DNA graded Mint 9. The flip is wrong -- actually a 1961 Parkhurst, not 1960. But, who cares.

Finally, two upgrades for my non-signed 1961 Parkhurst set. Both of these are tough cards to locate in PSA 9. Olmstead is a HOFer and Shack probably should be. The Olmstead isn't the nicest 9 I have seen, but is a pain to find... so, when it came up, I grabbed it...

imageimage

Casey
  • Two more graded Parkhurst cards today. The Godfrey is actually one of the easier cards to find in high graded, but many 9s have issues with toning that I don't like. With the white background, it is very noticeable. So, I waited a while before picking up this one. The Pronovost is at the opposite side of the spectrum--it is only a POP 7 and I took it when it was available!

imageimage

I am now over 80% complete in PSA 9 or better and only 10 cards away from completing the entire set in at least PSA 9. Still a while to go, as all the remaining cards are tough, but a TON of progress on the set already in April.

Casey
  • Solid day for TTM returns:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Great graphs! That Parkhurst set is neat
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • TGIM. No Sunday mailday is the worst! Finally, our workweek has resumed and good stuff can arrive. Our long national nightmare is over ...

Two TTMs slipped by the Canadians' guard with $.10 insufficient postage. Victory for America! I will be taking a trip through Toronto and Montreal in June, so I know I will pay them back. Dale Hawerchuk is a HOFer who generously signed these two cards for free.

imageimage

Got a reply from Jim Nill. This was my 2nd attempt; 1st was mailed to an address in Mason, MI which was RTS. Nill is an excellent hockey businessman, a long-time staffer for the Red Wings, and now the GM of the Dallas Stars. Sent c/o the Stars.

Finally, a big hit. It is definitely NOT a looker, but it exists! A signed 1961 Parkhurst Frank Mahovlich. Frank is a HOFer and a TOUGH signer. I got this from Al Kawamoto, who runs the Hockey Kazi blog. Huge thanks!! Also--I have a shiny new Mahovlich card waiting if anyone knows of an opportunity to get him to sign. I would be eternally grateful...

• Picked this up in the most recent PWCC auction. It is a blazer and a low pop, so it took a small chunk of change to get. Still, I am happy as it brings me to 10 cards remaining to complete my 1961 Parkhurst set in PSA 9. Larry Keenan, playing years 1961-1974, rookie card:

• Casey I've said this before, but I love this thread. Keep it coming!
  • Thanks, Dan.

I am headed out of town for the weekend for my bachelor party. When I come back, I will most likely be missing several brain cells, but will hopefully have gained a few cards to share image
  • A few TTMs piled up while I was out of town. All ended up pretty nice and are great additions to my Red Wings collections, though I wish I could find a way to prevent dings in the mail upon return. I got a nice return from John Vanbiesbrouck that got wrecked by USPS, so I had to essentially throw it away....

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Recently, I decided to branch out into a new collection: signed hockey HOF rookie cards. It is an impossible set, including all the huge names and a deceptively tough set of HOFers who either do not regularly sign or who died young and thus have scarce autos (Horton, Plante, Sawchuk, etc.). I don't have much intention of reaching 100% completion, but it will be something that I will work on for a while. I like the idea of being able to collect cards from across a large span of time and multiple sets, having at least 1 card of a selective group of hockey's finest players, and having each player autograph their defining card. I have been blown away by how helpful the TTM community has been--sharing addresses, tips on getting signatures, setting up private signings, and more. It's been awesome so far and I am definitely looking forward to continuing this project. I've picked up quite a few cards recently, which I guess is the way a lot of people start: fast at first, then a bit of a slow down as I figure out how I want to proceed at working through this...

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • After another long stretch of travel for work, I am back home and have had a chance to catch my breath and share a few cards that I've picked up. I've been buying a lot of raw HOF rookies for TTM/private signings, but I won't post those until they are complete. But, some great stuff is coming in the pipeline...

First -- another Federko signed rookie. This one is an OPC, which I prefer, and was a steal on eBay.

Second -- some TTM returns. I have mostly been mailing to former Red Wings. I honestly have no idea what I am going to do with the collection. I guess, at this point, I simply enjoy the process of writing to these players and enjoy learning about some players who weren't necessarily "stars" but do have interesting hockey histories.

imageimage

I have also recently started to write to non-Wing stars, HOFers, and players who I liked growing up. I think I will probably keep this to a minimum, as with the Parkhurst sets, the HOF rookie set, and the Wings TTMs, I have enough projects going on to keep me busy for a while. Still, I'll do some. This one is from Mike Ramsey--member of the 1980 Miracle on Ice team, and is personalized:

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome collection, I can see myself getting in to autos and I also collect Hockey rookies.

Any chance you have TTM info for Serge Savard? I have a rookie card if his that is short that I'd like to have signed. Been looking for a signing for a while with no luck!
  • Serge Savard
    1790 Chu Du Golf, RR1
    St Bruno QC J3V 4P6
    Canada

Savard seems like a reliable TTM signer--you should have luck there!
  • Casey, I don't know how I missed them last week, but I'm jealous of the signed bourque and Sakic rookies! Those were my 2 favorite players of the 80s and 90s! Simply awesome! If you have TTM info for bourque that you don't mind sharing I would really appreciate it.
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards and cool thread!

oh, and GO WINGS! image

<< <i>Serge Savard
    1790 Chu Du Golf, RR1
    St Bruno QC J3V 4P6
    Canada

Savard seems like a reliable TTM signer--you should have luck there! >>

Awesome, thanks!

• << <i>If you have TTM info for bourque that you don't mind sharing I would really appreciate it. >>

Unfortunately, I don't think Bourque signs TTM. I purchased this one already signed on eBay.
  • 2 more from today's mail:

A TTM return of Tom Webster. Nice auto! Tom played most of his career in the WHA, but had 30 goals for Detroit the year before this set (71 OPC) was released. Pretty quick return, too. I am not as good about keeping track of my TTMs as I should be, but this has to be under a month turnaround.

And, this one: a signed business card of longtime Red Wings GM, Ken Holland. Ken is regarded as one of the best, if not THE best, GM in hockey. He's been around through all the dynasty years and is a legit hero of mine. I have NO IDEA what the value of it is or how rare it is, but I saw it on eBay recently and had never seen one before, so I snatched it up pretty quickly. I also bought one of owner/pizza-magnate Mike Illitch, which should be coming any day now.

That Holland piece is super cool, love that it's a biz card signed. He is a sure HOFer in the builders category when he retires, the best GM in hockey.
  • Today was one of my best days for TTM returns yet.

A Chelios signed 1984 O-Pee-Chee (HOF Rookie card):

Two cards signed by the "Panger" Darren Pang:

imageimage

And two SUPER fast returns from HOFer and hockey legend Bill Gadsby. One, a nice looking 1954 Topps card:

And, one for my signed 1961 Parkhurst set:

Seriously, Gadsby turned it around in about 10 days. Oldtimers are the absolute best.
  • Bingo bango!

imageimage

Mickey also signed a 3rd card, a 1974 Topps Red Wings Team Leaders with Redmond/Dionne/Hogaboam. I already sent it off to Bill Hogaboam to try to get 2/3rds of it signed. Will post if I get a positive return.
  • OK, one more, for the Nyquist fans. This is another signed card from his days at Maine.

imageimage
  • Ilitch signed business card, as I mentioned a few days ago. I think this about does it for epic Red Wings front office folks? Maybe Hakan Andersson, if I can find him.

I recently got my first card through a private signing organized by a member of another board. Went super smoothly and I picked up a nice upgrade for my signed 1961 Parkhurst set. My double is for sale and pictured above, if anyone is interested:

I flipped a few cards and went on something of a buying spree for my signed HOF rookie set last weekend. A few are still in the mail, but I thought I would show off this one that arrived today. Tony O:

It looks like I am going to have to send a wreck of Blue Flips to PSA soon to turn into Red Flips. Will be my first time doing that. I assume it should be as smooth as subbing regular cards. Any hope that it goes faster if I just request "AUTHENTIC" and not card grades?

2 TTM returns, both 1971 OPCs from Canada. Both were very fast returns.

imageimage
  • Today was a pretty good day for my signed HOF rookie card project. I am interested in the board's opinion about whether I should consider having the Ullman be assigned a numerical grade the next time I do a sub... pretty nice looking card. I can post a bigger image if you need a better picture to render an accurate opinion.

The Perreault rookie is an OPC. Both were TTMs to Mr Perreault with a fast return.

imageimage
    imageimage

One upgrade for my signed 61 Parkhurst set, a TTM return from Bob Baun. Card looks even better in hand, as silver shiny sharpie and my scanner don't get along:

• This have been slow on the new purchases front, but I have been able to get quite a few more TTMs out over the past month, so they have started to roll in. Some of the best from this week:

2 cards returned from Val Fonteyne for my signed 1961 Parkhurst set. I already had one of Val that was actually probably nicer, but these turned out pretty well:

imageimage

2 cards for the HOF rookie set: Lanny McDonald and Scotty Bowman. Scotty isn't in the PSA set because he wasn't inducted in the players' category, but he is still near to my heart from his time with the Wings. He signed 3 TTM quickly (1 OPC, 2 Topps):

imageimage
    imageimage
  • A few more today. Biggest item is an eBay purchase for my signed hockey HOF set. Pierre Pilote:

I also got a second return from Bill Gadsby. This one had a 6-day turnround, which is pretty incredible. One for my signed HOF set and another 61 Parkie:

imageimage

Then, some random TTM returns, biggest being Peter Stastny, who is in the HOF (though this isn't his rookie):

imageimage

Some of these were the first time that I have mailed TTMs in CS1s. Worked perfectly, no issues at all. Seems to have minimized the USPS dings.
  • Solid progress to my signed HOF rookies set today TTM. John Bucyk signed in 2 weeks round-trip and Ed Giacomin signed in 10! I am now definitely sold on sending all my TTMs in CS1s--it seems to be no problem for the signers and definitely makes a difference in the shape the card upon return. For some cards, that isn't a big deal, but a few of these HHOF cards are expensive and probably should be protected.

imageimage

I bought the next two cards. The Wendel Clark's price was right and, although he is not in the HOF and maybe never will be, I still view it as an important rookie. Edgar LaPrade was someone I meant to send a card to TTM, but he sadly passed away recently.

imageimage

Two others of note:

First, a signed 1961 Parkhurst card of HOFer Dickie Moore. I already had one, but this is a definite upgrade. Dickie signed quickly from Canada and provided further proof that there is correlation between "time period played" and "likelihood of responding to their mail".

Second, a signed Don Marshall card. This is actually from 1962 Parkhurst, but I picked it up cheaply knowing that he was good TTM. It has great eye-appeal for a midgrade vintage card. He also included a signed photo 3x5 of himself with the cup, which was very nice. I really should get a quality 61 Parkie to send to him sometime...

• Returned from a week-long trip to a ton of TTM returns. I had sent out a huge amount over the past month (my slow time at work). Had about 30 waiting for me upon return. Success! I will actually break up posting the returns because there are so many.

This post will have all the cards for my signed 1961 Parkhurst set. I added 3--#5 Dave Keon, #7 Eddie Shack, and #32 Vic Stasiuk. The Keon is his rookie and doubles for my signed HOF rookie card set.

The Ullman, Olmstead, and Langlois are likely upgrades for cards I already had.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Some additions to the signed HOF rookie set.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage