Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Official Bo Jackson Thread

In an effort to consolidate my numerous Bo Jackson posts, I'm going to use this post to share my Bo Jackson pickups and discoveries in the future. I'll also maintain this thread with links to other good threads on Bo cards or discussions about Bo himself. This will be a work in progress so feel free to share any threads that I don't have listed. I welcome anyone to post their pickups or other discoveries here!

Thread list:

What is the Rarest Bo Jackson card out there? by cree
1987 Classic Travel Yellow Bo Jackson ROOKIE, GREEN BACK #109 PSA 10 GEM (PWCC) by dytch2220
Bo jackson 1986 Memphis chicks, Please help verify by olb31
1986 Donn Jennings Future Star Bo Jackson - Duplicate by dytch2220
The power of ESPN on Card Values: 1988 Topps Bo Jackson by ClockworkAngel
1991 TOPPS DESERT SHIELD #600 BO JACKSON by dytch2220
1993 FINEST REFRACTOR #91 BO JACKSON PSA GEM MINT 10 by dytch2220
Bo Master Calculator by dytch2220
Fill in the missing parts of this story - 1986 Memphis Chicks Bo Jackson by MinorLeaguer
1990 Score #280a & 280b Bo Jackso by dytch2220
New Bo Jacksons - Ungraded & PSA 10 by dytch2220
My Recent Bo Jackson Purchases by dytch2220
What are your favorite Bo Jackson cards? by cree
Just Popped a Pop 2 1987 Classic Green Bo Jackson PSA 10! by kingbeeswax
Crazy Prices for 1988 Topps Bo Jackson by BPorter26
Me and Maven met Bo Jackson and Tim Brown today by thenavarro
Question about 88 Topps Bo Jackson crossover by MrNearMint
Any Bo Jackson psa submitters on here? by detroitlion20
How to get a Bo Jackson Autograph that's personalized by Yanksfan1976
Holy Poppage! with 1st 1987 Classic Bo Jackson PSA 10, 26 GPK PSA 10's, 1st Goonies 10, 186 cards by kingbeeswax
Bo jackson autograph help by epicbedhair
VCP and pop report help Bo Jackson by Toro
Just got the this Bo Jackson from board member mike22y2k by MinorLeagueSource
1986 chicks Bo Jackson PSA 10 any info please by mike22y2k
Lebron wants to be Deion and Bo Jackson by austinchau
Whatever happened to Bo Jackson? by RobMM77
Bo Jackson cards/video by BigRedMachine
WHY NOT BO JACKSON ????? by 5thScaleRacer
The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

Comments

• dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    To kick this thing off in the right way, here are a few cool Bo Jackson items I picked up recently. These are the original match print photographs used to verify color during printing, certified authentic from Topps.

***1991 Topps #600***

***1991 Topps Traded #58T***

***1993 Stadium Club #495 Front***

***1993 Stadium Club #495 Reverse***
    Also, picked this up. Still waiting for my PSA 10. image

• Speaking of baseball card artwork...

1992 Topps Kids back artwork

1991 Score original artwork
    Thanks for sharing. Those are very cool! How did you come across those pieces? eBay, shows or elsewhere?
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I like this consolidated list.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Good Idea

I recently bought 2 sets of the 1993 Memphis Chicks moder all stars sets. I don't know if psa grades these or not but i will post scans when i get them later this week.

87 Classic psa 10 green is on ebay.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kingsbeezwax from this board I believe was the first person to ever hit a 10 on that card.

Apparently this is a very tough card in a 10.

Yes indeed, that is correct. I have that kingbeeswax thread linked in the consolidated list above, titled: "Holy poppage!..."

This is a tough card to find, although, this price is about $700 North of the market - from my understanding. Even further North of my current budget, LOL! I believe the population actually went up by two recently. I tried to contact the seller to see if he was lucky enough to POP both, no response so far.
    The first one was sold for close to $1,200 I believe.

There has been a big increase in the number of Bo Jackson collectors so even if the pop went up some it doesn't guarantee lower prices.

Good luck tracking this card down one day.

I'd take a serious stab at it if I had the cash. Simply not an option right now. image Will be a different story come bonus time!
    There are several various Bo PSA 10s within this cert series. I got tired of checking, but each consecutive cert was a 10. wow! Looks like a consecutive run of 300+ psa 10s.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

<< <i>There are several various Bo PSA 10s within this cert series. I got tired of checking, but each consecutive cert was a 10. wow! Looks like a consecutive run of 300+ psa 10s. >>

It's all of the cards from this series: 21706474-21706486. PSA 10.
    That's only the Bo's. There are a few hundred consecutive 10s in that range.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Oops! Thought we were talking about the Bo's.

I know this may seem super lazy, but I'm thinking of making a cert viewer that will let you click a plus or minus button so you can flip through without having to change a number in the URL. Will keep you posted on this...
  • kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Using the Cert Verification link I checked consecutive serial #'s it looks like he got a PSA 10 on every card graded. Maybe some kind of plan where they only grade and charge for a minimum requested grade? Not sure if he popped both 10's though as I only see one of these with simlilar #'s but maybe was added later on. I have a bunch of these to grade and can't see too many more 10's popping up unless someone else has a stash of them.

Tool to flip through certs created. See this thread for details:

CERT FLIPPER v1.0
    A few great pieces of news for my Bo collection.

1) A while back, a board member here gave me an excellent deal on a few cards. Tracking showed they were delivered a few weeks ago, nowhere to be found. After getting nowhere with USPS (shipper) and same deal with UPS (my PO box at a UPS store) I and the sender had both given up. To my complete surprise the package magically appeared in my box today! SUCCESS!!

2) Not only did I get the cards finally and get a great deal, there was an unexpected extra card tossed in. I couldn't say more strongly that there are generally a great caliber of people on this forum.

3) After adding the cards back into my registry, moved from Rank 14 down to 11. Sweet...
  • Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Awesome news! I've had my fair share of issues with USPS so I know how you felt. Good that yours had a happy ending
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>After adding the cards back into my registry, moved from Rank 14 down to 11. Sweet... >>

Sweet indeed, the top 10 is within your grasp! Have you noticed a marked increase in Bo registry sets to coincide with the renewed interest in him within the hobby as of late?

Snorto~

<< <i>

<< <i>After adding the cards back into my registry, moved from Rank 14 down to 11. Sweet... >>

Sweet indeed, the top 10 is within your grasp! Have you noticed a marked increase in Bo registry sets to coincide with the renewed interest in him within the hobby as of late?

Snorto~ >>

I don't know if I'm qualified to answer that question since my registry collection is a result of this exact phenomenon. I collected him as a kid and the film made me remember having my '90 Score #697 stolen in HS, so I decided to replace it. As I was searching eBay I discovered graded cards. One thing led to another and here I am. Maybe I should just answer "Yes" after all...
    Figured I'd add my latest Bo card to the thread image

<< <i>Figured I'd add my latest Bo card to the thread image >>

Fine looking card sir!
    Thought this was neat. In case you ever played TECMOBOWL.

Bo Jackson - NCAA '14

Wish these were available as real cards!

imageimageimageimage
    Found a very cool 1988 Bo Jackson sticker from a UK sticker book called "Football Heroes" on eBay. This doesn't appear in population currently. Would be a neat sticker to have. Unfortunately this example was cut out by hand and due to it's proximity to another sticker the border is so thin that it would not allow for a trim - low eye appeal. I wish they'd have left the page intact as I'd have paid healthily for it. Turns out the sticker book has Bosworth too. image

Link
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Columbia City has some terrific oddball football items... and they price them pretty high usually.

Those Football Heroes are a tough find, especially the uncut sheets.

Did you pull the trigger on this one or pick one up elsewhere?

Snorto~
    No, did not buy. I didn't feel it was worth buying with the way it was cut. Not sure if you can even grade these, however, if you can I think this would grade poorly. If you can't grade it, I'd still want one. The problem is the cut is so close to the foot you couldn't trim for decent appeal if kept raw. I'll wait for a whole sheet.
    Boom! Rank 10. image
    Congrats! I get the feeling single digits are around the corner image
    Baez578: It's a guarantee! image
    FYI. The Bo Jackson 1987 Classic MLB PSA 10 sold for $1,500.00 Best Offer

Link
    $1500!! I can see a $2000 sale in the future for one. Tough card!! Congrats to the seller
    A perfect example of more supply doesn't always mean lower prices.
    Dang! Pretty nice group, another one I'd like to take a stab at. Alas, no cash...

1990 DONRUSS BO JACKSON ALL 3 AQUEOUS TEST & PREVIEW CARD
  • I'm a huge Bo Jackson fan but if you're talking about the Green FB/BB selling at $1500.....definitely a fluke sale. You can still pick up raw sets for $35 and PSA 8/9's for under $50. PSA has also gotten a bit softer on grading the Green bordered cards. They'll settle back down to earth.
  • creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Good luck finding a PSA 9 1987 Classic Green Bo Jackson card for under $50.00. Definitely not a fluke. Bo Jackson's popularity has gone through the roof.
  • jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    Pumped to have just picked this up! It's a pop 3 and unless I've missed something his absolute earliest football card.

<< <i>Pumped to have just picked this up! It's a pop 3 and unless I've missed something his absolute earliest football card. >>

Super hi-five! Awesome card.

It's definitely the first official card of him pictured in a football uniform to my knowledge. It's classified as a multi-sport card by PSA though in population, so is the baseball card. I know the back of the baseball card talks about him having won the Heisman. This is my only reasoning for why they are listed this way.

<< <i>I'm a huge Bo Jackson fan but if you're talking about the Green FB/BB selling at $1500.....definitely a fluke sale. You can still pick up raw sets for $35 and PSA 8/9's for under $50. PSA has also gotten a bit softer on grading the Green bordered cards. They'll settle back down to earth. >>

Raw set's might be $35 but shipping will be $12-$17 each. I am going to start hoarding PSA 9's of them as I feel they are undervalued and you can't find one anymore for less than $70. Someone had maybe 10 PSA 9's and sold them a few a week with terrible scans with white dots all over from his scanner and some sold cheap, I picked up a bunch. Don't think he has any more. On a side note I was talking to someone last year and they had the original photo or negative from Classic. That would be a hot item right now!

<< <i>On a side note I was talking to someone last year and they had the original photo or negative from Classic. That would be a hot item right now! >>

That would be neat to see go up for sale. image

• << <i> I am going to start hoarding PSA 9's of them as I feel they are undervalued >>

Yes, I was incorrect on the 1987 Classic Green PSA 9's for under $50. Most are in the $60-$120 range. I'm also hoarding as many as I can find. We will probably be driving up the prices on each other. Good luck!

• << <i>Pumped to have just picked this up! It's a pop 3 and unless I've missed something his absolute earliest football card.

image >>

Very nice pick up on a sweet card, congrats.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    They're listed by PSA as multisport because the football card comes in a set comprised of Auburn stars from all sports; major companies mistakenly list the baseball card as multisport because they believe it's from the same 16 card set. while it's actually from its own 3 card baseball only set.

Now that this card is selling for $1k, I see myself grading my gem mint copy and selling it.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
    Shameless spam: this is the only one graded at this time.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• << <i>Shameless spam: this is the only one graded at this time.

Did you cut these yourself?

<< <i>
    Did you cut these yourself? >>

Yes sir. I have an 89 going in tomorrow with a small sub.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
    Nice cards fellas! Thanks for posting.
    Good news!

On my last sub, the 1990 Score 280 I submitted was not recognized for the error it was initially. The manager's last name is mis-spelled. Should be Wathan but is listed as Watham on the initial run of the card. Since my order had not shipped, I contacted PSA last week to voice my disappointment about the error not being denoted. The agent asked which publication the error was listed in and took down the details promising to follow-up. I noted today when I looked at my order that the card is now listed as 1990 Score 280 Bo Jackson Watham, new spec. number. It's a PSA 9 and I think the only one graded at the time of this writing. I'm pretty pleased about this.