Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

N8's Brian Bosworth Collection

This thread is a place to track and show off my player collection of Brian Bosworth. I'll keep this original post updated with all of the cards currently in my collection, whether raw or graded. I will also list my wants so feel free to PM if you have a high end copy (PSA 9/10 or Raw capable of these grades) of any cards I'm missing. I am also always interested in upgrading so if you have a better copy of a card in my collection and want to make a deal please reach out. I'd appreciate your comments and images of any Boz cards or collectibles you'd like to share. The list below represents all of the cards or card-like items that I have been able to find in my research, please alert me of any that I'm missing.

About:
Brian Keith "The Boz" Bosworth, was born March 9 of 1965. Bosworth played college football for the University of Oklahoma and was well recognized for his playing ability - Dick Butkus Award (1985, 1986), Consensus All-American (1985, 1986), and All-Big 8 (1984, 1985, 1986). Bosworth was also famous for his flamboyant personality, controversial comments about the NCAA and radical hair styles. After being banned from playing college football in his senior year for failing to pass a mandatory drug test, he entered into the 1987 NFL supplemental draft. Bosworth was selected in the first round by the Seattle Seahawks at the Linebacker position and received the highest ever rookie salary up to that point; a 10 year, $11 million contract. He played in the NFL for only two seasons from 1987-1989 after which he was forced to retire because of permanent shoulder injuries that prevented him from passing a pre-training physical examination. Although the Seahawks were only obligated to pay Bosworth $65,000 for the remainder of his contract under the NFLPA agreement, his original contract was negotiated to include an insurance policy through Lloyds of London for which premiums were paid out of Bosworth's salary. The insurance policy protected him from losing the remaining $7.3 million dollars he would have earned over the next 8 years. Following his athletic endeavors, Bosworth has had a limited career as a film actor and was a color commentator for the short-lived XFL during its only season in 2001.

Enjoy!
  • 1980-1983 MCARTHUR HIGH SCHOOL IRVING, TX YEARBOOK(S) BRIAN BOSWORTH [WANT]

• 1984-1987 OKLAHOMA UNIVERSITY NORMAN, OK YEARBOOK(S) [WANT]

• 1986 OKLAHOMA NNO (8) BRIAN BOSWORTH [RAW]

• 1986 OKLAHOMA NNO (15) "BORDER BATTLE OKLAHOMA VS. TEXAS" [RAW]

• 1986 OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL SCHEDULE NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH [RAW]

• 1986 OKLAHOMA MCDAG NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH [PSA 10]

• 1987 COSTACO BROS NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH "LAND OF BOZ" DEALER PROMO CARD [WANT]

• 1987 SEAHAWKS GTE NNO (2) BRIAN BOSWORTH [RAW]

• 1988 ACE FACT PACK NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH SEATTLE SEAHAWKS [PSA 9]

• 1988 FLEER TEAM ACTION 26 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS PAIN BUT NO GAIN [PSA 9]

• 1988 FLEER TEAM ACTION BOX TOP NNO SEATTLE SEAHAWKS MAKE'M LIKE A WISHBONE HAND-CUT [RAW]
    The box top has a variation of the production card that has the same image but is titled differently.

• 1988 FLEER TEAM ACTION BOX TOP NNO SEATTLE SEAHAWKS MAKE'M LIKE A WISHBONE HAND-CUT W/ BORDER [RAW]
    The box top has a variation of the production card that has the same image but is titled differently.

• 1988 FOOTBALL HEROES STICKER BOOK NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH HAND-CUT [RAW]
    Blank back.

• 1988 KENNER NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH [PSA 9]

• 1988 OKLAHOMA GREATS SOONER GREATS 1986 OU 20 - NEBRASKA 17 [WANT]

• 1988 PANINI STICKERS 199 BRIAN BOSWORTH UNISSUED PROOF [RAW]
    Blank back. In the final production set Bosworth does not have a sticker. Number 199 is Eugene Robinson.

• 1988 SEAHAWKS DOMINOS 47 BRIAN BOSWORTH PERFORATED [PSA 9]

• 1988 SEAHAWKS DOMINOS NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH TEAM PHOTO REVERSE HAND-CUT [RAW]

• 1988 SEAHAWKS DOMINOS NNO GREEN/JACKSON TEAM PHOTO REVERSE HAND-CUT BOSWORTH ON BACK[RAW]

• 1988 SEAHAWKS DOMINOS NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH TEAM PHOTO HAND-CUT [RAW]

• 1988 SEAHAWKS POLICE NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH [PSA 10]

• 1988 SEAHAWKS TEAM PRESS PHOTO [RAW]

• 1988 TOPPS 144 BRIAN BOSWORTH (SR) [PSA 10]

• 1988 TOPPS CHECKLIST 133-264 [WANT]

• 1988 TOPPS STICKERS 1 DOUG WILLIAMS - FRALIC 56 - BOSWORTH 267 [WANT]

• 1988 TOPPS STICKERS 25 EARNEST JACKSON - FRALIC 56 - BOSWORTH 267 [WANT]

• 1988 TOPPS STICKERS 31 MARK CLAYTON - FRALIC 56 - BOSWORTH 267 [PSA 10]

• 1988 TOPPS STICKERS 41 STUMP MITCHELL - FRALIC 56 - BOSWORTH 267 [WANT]

• 1989 PRO SET 391 BRIAN BOSWORTH SEAHAWKS [WANT]
    I haven't found a copy that is well centered enough so I'm holding out...

• 1989 PRO SET 391 (A) BRIAN BOSWORTH SEATTLE [PSA 10]

• 1989 SCORE 239 BRIAN BOSWORTH [PSA 10]

• 1989 SEAHAWKS POLICE NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH [PSA 10]

• 1989 TOPPS 192 BRIAN BOSWORTH [PSA 10]

• 1989 TOPPS AMERICAN/UK 13 BRIAN BOSWORTH [PSA 10]

• 1989 TOPPS CHECKLIST 133-264 [WANT]
The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

Comments

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I like it. I love any classic 80s early 90s football cards.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Those are some cool bosworth cards!!
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Got this as a redemption a few years ago. Took them about a year to send it to me

• jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    Diggin' those cards.

jbox
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    In a sense, Bosworth is way underrated. He absolutely didnt live up to the hype. But he had two chronically arthritic shoulders by the time he entered the NFL and just couldnt perform. Watch his college tapes. He was a beast...a jerk, but a monster. Even when he was on the field in the NFL, he played well...just not against Bo. The guy was a huge dissappointment but not due to lack of ability. He was 6' 2" 250 and ran a 4.55. Bo simply ran waaaaaay faster.
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got this as a redemption a few years ago. Took them about a year to send it to me

image >>

NICE!
  • creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Here is a 1988 Ace Fact Pack Brian bosworth card.

[URL=http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/Cree213/media/acebrianbosworth0001_zps56f8e3d9.jpg.html]
    image[/URL]
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Not sure I have ever seen those cards. I was in High School when "The Boz" was at OSU. I loved that guy and the stories that went with him. Good luck on the grades and thanks for sharing!

<< <i>Here is a 1988 Ace Fact Pack Brian bosworth card.

Good looking card cree. It's on my list. Almost had one but the guy who had it sold at nationals. The search continues...
  • So-so linebacker, Top-notch actor!!!!!!
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    My '55 Topps-style Boz card . . .

<< <i>My '55 Topps-style Boz card . . . >>

Cool, what year was this card released?
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I wasn't clear.

That's one of my custom/fantasy card creations. I've done about 125 1955 Topps AA-style and about the same number
    of other classic baseball and football card formats over the past 10 years.

Cool. Nice work!
    A few of my recent Boz pickups...

1988 DOMINOS PIZZA #47 BRIAN BOSWORTH - FRONT/BACK

1988 PANINI STICKERS #199 BRIAN BOSWORTH - UNISSUED PROOF (BLANK BACK)

1988 ACE FACT PACK #NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (ACE HEARTS BACK)
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A few of my recent Boz pickups...

1988 DOMINOS PIZZA #47 BRIAN BOSWORTH - FRONT/BACK
    imageimage

1988 PANINI STICKERS #199 BRIAN BOSWORTH - UNISSUED PROOF (BLANK BACK)

1988 ACE FACT PACK #NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (ACE HEARTS BACK)
    image >>

These are awesome!
    A couple of new additions, hand-cut. I'm confident the first one can be graded and I believe it will be a POP1 along with the Largent I also cut from the same source. I don't have much confidence on the second one being graded because it is a team photo that was cut inside the image border but I decided to cut anyway due to damage in other parts of the photo and because the super-dorky image of Boz cracks me up! Enjoy.

Edit: Moved images to list on original post to clean up.
    I got this bad boy back in my bulk sub. POP1. image

The other copy pulled a PSA 8.

PSA 1986 OKLAHOMA MCDAG NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH MT10

Edit: Moved images to list on original post to clean up.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    He might have been a tool back then, but you can't think of the 80's without thinking of him being a big part of it!!
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Awesome 10!
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Pop 1... Congrats Nate!
    Thanks guys.
  • RaulsmasterRaulsmaster Posts: 663 ✭✭
    I have a pop 1 1988 Topps Sticker on it's way. It's a tough one and the only one I pulled from a case worth submitting
    It never leaves you...
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "tips from the Sooners" portion of the Bosworth card is disjointedly introspective, especially for a college football card. Who knows how long we will live? The Boz knows.
    Here's the rest of my Boz collection. All except the Fleer Team Action Lineup are highest graded example.

PSA 1988 ACE FACT PACK NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH SEATTLE SEAHAWKS MT9
    PSA 1988 FLEER TEAM ACTION 26 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS PAIN BUT NO GAIN MT9
    PSA 1988 SEAHAWKS DOMINOS 47 BRIAN BOSWORTH PERFORATED NM-MT8
    PSA 1988 SEAHAWKS POLICE NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH MT9
    PSA 1989 SEAHAWKS POLICE NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH MT10

Edit: Images move to original post for clean-up.
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    Years ago, I pulled into my small country church parking lot in central Illinois, and there was an unfamiliar vehicle in the parking lot, a large dually with the license plate "BSWORTH" or something like that. My wife wondered why I got so immediately excited. Ended up being a cousin or something. I think the guy's grandfather was the brother of Brian's grandfather, or something like that. It was still an interesting conversation.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
    Boz on ESPN 30 for 30 Tuesday. Looking forward to this!

30 for 30: Brian and The Boz - Trailer
    Upgrade!

PSA 1988 SEAHAWKS POLICE NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH MT10

Image placed on original post to keep the thread cleaned up.
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Very cool cards. There was a great 30 for 30 film on him not too long ago. Thanks for sharing here.
  • I think my favorites are the Dominos and the Fleer team action. My first ever pack of football cards was from that 1986 or 87 Fleer set. My dad picked up a pack at a gas station on his way home from work.

<< <i>I think my favorites are the Dominos and the Fleer team action. My first ever pack of football cards was from that 1986 or 87 Fleer set. My dad picked up a pack at a gas station on his way home from work. >>

Cool. I honestly don't remember my first trading card. I can remember some of the cards that my friends and I traded and my first auto, which I still have.

I recently noticed that on the top of the Fleer Action box, this card is shown but it has a different title "MAKE'M LIKE A WISHBONE" instead of "PAIN BUT NO GAIN". So, now I'm chasing that too. LOL.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I was born in 85 so I didn't know much about "the boz." And what I did know I didn't really care for until I watched the 30 for 30. I know he's a lot older/wiser now but he sounds like a really good guy and good father who just wanted to make his father proud.
    I guess he was pretty intelligent as well which is nice to see considering the stigma that many athletes have.

Great collection!

<< <i>Great collection! >>

Thank you sir!
  • Nate, there must be other versions of that 1988 fralic/Boz sticker with different players on the reverse. I know Tippett's stickers from that set each have 3 or 4 variations. He has a foil sticker he shares with Dickerson and on the reverse it can either have j.lofton, n.anderson or Eddie brown. His individual sticker from that set can have Largent on the other side, or kosar, bavaro or Eric Martin. To see what I mean, you can look here.

But the point is, I'm almost sure Clayton isn't the only version of that Fralic/Boz sticker. Happy hunting!
    I thought there might be but hadn't dug into it. I know that Bo had several from my days collecting him. Quick search uncovered at least two others...

1988 Topps Stickers 41 Stump Mitchell/56 Bill Fralic/267 Brian Bosworth
    1988 Topps Stickers 25 Earnest Jackson/56 Bill Fralic/267 Brian Bosworth
  • Haha have fun tracking down Stump!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Boz on ESPN 30 for 30 Tuesday. Looking forward to this!

30 for 30: Brian and The Boz - Trailer >>

I actually just watched this the other day and enjoyed it, The Boz seemed pretty humble and down to earth, he appeared to be pretty genuine in his regrets of some of his actions back in the day although looking back he wasn't all that bad compared to some of these athletes. One thing I always say is he got a bad rap for that so called epic play against Bo, nobody would have tackled him in that play- Boz was at an angle and not straight on with him like everyone acts like he was, it wasn't like he got mowed over

• << <i>

<< <i>Boz on ESPN 30 for 30 Tuesday. Looking forward to this!

30 for 30: Brian and The Boz - Trailer >>

I actually just watched this the other day and enjoyed it, The Boz seemed pretty humble and down to earth, he appeared to be pretty genuine in his regrets of some of his actions back in the day although looking back he wasn't all that bad compared to some of these athletes. One thing I always say is he got a bad rap for that so called epic play against Bo, nobody would have tackled him in that play- Boz was at an angle and not straight on with him like everyone acts like he was, it wasn't like he got mowed over >>

Every bit of this is true.
    Added two new cards to the collection. Scans on original post.

1988 TOPPS 144 BRIAN BOSWORTH (SR) [PSA 10]
    1989 TOPPS AMERICAN/UK 13 BRIAN BOSWORTH [PSA 10]
  • curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    Starting lineup card is awesome!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!

<< <i>Starting lineup card is awesome! >>

I wish I could find it in a higher grade. I will probably have to start busting open figures sometime in the near future...
  • curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    slu cards always seem tough to find mint!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
    Some updates, scans on original post...

Upgrade
    1988 KENNER NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH [PSA 9] from [PSA 7]

Added
    1988 FLEER TEAM ACTION BOX TOP NNO SEATTLE SEAHAWKS MAKE'M LIKE A WISHBONE HAND-CUT [RAW]
    1988 SEAHAWKS DOMINOS NNO BRIAN BOSWORTH TEAM PHOTO REVERSE HAND-CUT [RAW]
    1988 SEAHAWKS DOMINOS NNO GREEN/JACKSON TEAM PHOTO REVERSE HAND-CUT BOSWORTH ON BACK[RAW]
    Added some new cards, some of which were very tough to find taking over a year to see the first example. Scans to come!

1986 OKLAHOMA NNO (8) BRIAN BOSWORTH [RAW]
    1986 OKLAHOMA NNO (15) "BORDER BATTLE OKLAHOMA VS. TEXAS" [RAW]
    1987 SEAHAWKS GTE NNO (2) BRIAN BOSWORTH [RAW]
    1989 PRO SET 391 (A) BRIAN BOSWORTH SEATTLE [PSA 10]
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Nice, Nate! I love it when player collectors dig deep like this.

<< <i>Nice, Nate! I love it when player collectors dig deep like this. >>

Thanks DB. It's most of the fun in collecting for some, the dig!
  • kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable Nate, the Boz was also on the Bo Bikes Bama Ride and I actually rode with him. He is a great guy and is in awesome shape. He looks like he could play tomorrow.
    Cool Boz collection my friend!

<< <i>Unbelievable Nate, the Boz was also on the Bo Bikes Bama Ride and I actually rode with him. He is a great guy and is in awesome shape. He looks like he could play tomorrow.
    Cool Boz collection my friend! >>

Thank you. The collection is a work in progress, a few more things I need to get and then will work on upgrades.

Man, that's awesome! Bo and Boz in the same day. I need to get back into riding shape so I can do a Bo Bikes Bama event. Thanks for sharing the pics.
    I've added images to the original post for all my recent Boz additions. Enjoy!