Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

$10,000+ card sells for $50 in PWCC auction

I saw this auction being discussed on another message board.

Auction link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140991048340?orig_cvip=true

The consignment seller failed to identify this card as having a Brown Old Mill back advertisement.

A brown Old Mill back is a major rarity, and it is considered to be amongst the most difficult of all T206 backs.

The card sold for the price of a common Black Old Mill back.

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the person who consigned the card know it was a brown back? And did he ask for it to be listed as such? Or where they both un aware?
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Wow.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is really shocking to me. There's a huge, clear scan of the reverse of the card. With all the eyeballs that see PWCC auctions, I'm shocked nobody picked up on the rarity and bid accordingly. Maybe it wouldn't sell at full market price but certainly for something between the common and the rarity market price.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    remember, when something slips through a crack you can't get it back.

i bet there's quite a few of us who could tell such a tale of woe. that's a big O for the winner.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I am totally amazed at the number of people who missed this condition rarirty, starting with the consignor. It went from the consignor's hands, through Brent's hands, and all the bidders eyeballs and noone noticed it. The stigma associated with AUTHENTIC cards had alot to do with it I am sure. Bidders avoide those cards like the plague, for reasons that I don't totally agree with.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maurice how did this situation come to light?

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a crazy story for reasons mentioned above...deals to be had if you know where to look no matter the consigner.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Would that card really fetch $10,000 at auction?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    So did anyone contact the buyer and offered him $200.00 for it ?
  • Options

<< <i>Maurice how did this situation come to light? >>

Dpeck, here is a link to the discussion:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173902

The PWCC auction is first mentioned in post #30.
  • Options

<< <i>Would that card really fetch $10,000 at auction? >>

From what I understand, $10k would probably be a conservative estimate.
  • Options

<< <i>I am totally amazed at the number of people who missed this condition rarirty, starting with the consignor. It went from the consignor's hands, through Brent's hands, and all the bidders eyeballs and noone noticed it. The stigma associated with AUTHENTIC cards had alot to do with it I am sure. Bidders avoide those cards like the plague, for reasons that I don't totally agree with. >>

I agree about people not having much interest in cards slabbed AUTHENTIC but that's the only way a graded T206 brown old mill back would be found as all of the known examples are hand cut.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    That is remarkable. Happy for the guy who knew his T206 backs and found this needle in the haystack.

Kind of tells you how much Brent knows about T206s. He sells a lot of them, I'm shocked he missed this. Then again, I'm shocked the owner of the card and all the Net54 guys missed this as well. Goes to show you that there are still incredible finds to be had on eBay.

• Options
    ABellPharmDABellPharmD Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    I'm so angry at myself for not catching this!
    I collect Cal Ripken cards, T206, E95, E210, R319.
  • Options
    Clearly there is negligence here on the part of PWCC. Do EBAY consignment sellers have any liability for something like this?

You could easily sue a Christies Auction House or a similar one for such an extreme mistake.

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    At least this consignment seller had a picture of the back lol.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    A few years ago Heritage listed an unknown, uncataloged Tango Egg with no notation to that effect in an internet only listing. It sold for about $700, slipping under the radar. Would've gone for 10x in an auction house that knew their stuff.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Sounds like Brent forgot his usual "outright steal at anything in the realm of black back old mill prices" description.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At least this consignment seller had a picture of the back lol. >>

heh

Like others, I'm very surprised this slipped under everyone's radar. How this didn't pop up on N54 is beyond me.

edit: looks like it didn't - there is a nine page discussion here. Looks like many originally dismissed it as being a brown back.
  • Options
    That thread started almost 2 months after the auction ended.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am totally amazed at the number of people who missed this condition rarirty, starting with the consignor. It went from the consignor's hands, through Brent's hands, and all the bidders eyeballs and noone noticed it. The stigma associated with AUTHENTIC cards had alot to do with it I am sure. Bidders avoide those cards like the plague, for reasons that I don't totally agree with. >>

I agree about people not having much interest in cards slabbed AUTHENTIC but that's the only way a graded T206 brown old mill back would be found as all of the known examples are hand cut. >>

Does anyone know why the cards would be labeled trimmed vs handcut?
  • Options

<< <i>Like others, I'm very surprised this slipped under everyone's radar. How this didn't pop up on N54 is beyond me.

edit: looks like it didn't - there is a nine page discussion here. Looks like many originally dismissed it as being a brown back. >>

TNP, the net54 link was posted earlier. And, no, nobody is questioning the PWCC card. It is absolutely a brown Old Mill.

The beginning of the net54 discussion is about a different card. That is the card being questioned, and it's definitely not brown. The seller is trying to get a huge premium for it by claiming it is a shade between black and brown.

The PWCC card isn't mentioned until post #30.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    10k? I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like Brent forgot his usual "outright steal at anything in the realm of black back old mill prices" description. >>

To PWCC's credit, though, it appears he's really toned down the photoshop enhancements. The scan of this card actually looks normal. The borders don't glow-in-the-dark and the colors in the image don't look like skittles.
  • Options
    Does PSA usually label the brown backs as such?
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Clearly there is negligence here on the part of PWCC. Do EBAY consignment sellers have any liability for something like this?

It is the seller's responsibility to proofread all ad copy and to notify Brent if any changes need to be made.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sounds like Brent forgot his usual "outright steal at anything in the realm of black back old mill prices" description. >>

To PWCC's credit, though, it appears he's really toned down the photoshop enhancements. The scan of this card actually looks normal. The borders don't glow-in-the-dark and the colors in the image don't look like skittles. >>

Personally, I don't feel that Brent deserves any ”credit” for this particular listing. Huge miss.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Like others, I'm very surprised this slipped under everyone's radar. How this didn't pop up on N54 is beyond me.

edit: looks like it didn't - there is a nine page discussion here. Looks like many originally dismissed it as being a brown back. >>

TNP, the net54 link was posted earlier. And, no, nobody is questioning the PWCC card. It is absolutely a brown Old Mill.

The beginning of the net54 discussion is about a different card. That is the card being questioned, and it's definitely not brown. The seller is trying to get a huge premium for it by claiming it is a shade between black and brown.

The PWCC card isn't mentioned until post #30. >>

gotcha - thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    If the winning bidder knew what he was buying it would be have been wild to see what their high bid was.

• Options

<< <i>Clearly there is negligence here on the part of PWCC. Do EBAY consignment sellers have any liability for something like this?

It is the seller's responsibility to proofread all ad copy and to notify Brent if any changes need to be made. >>

From http://www.pwccauctions.com/consign.php

"Consigning with PWCC is designed to be both fun and easy. Consignors need only ship the items to our auction house, and their job is done. We do the work to list the items in our upcoming monthly auction, manage the auction process, and then issue payment to the consignor. That’s it."

And from http://www.pwccauctions.com/why-choose-pwcc.php

"Professional Presentation. We are recognized across the hobby for our professional auction format with industry-leading digital images and item descriptions."

"We consider ourselves to be one of the finest brokers of both vintage and modern graded sportscards."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

To PWCC's credit, though, it appears he's really toned down the photoshop enhancements. The scan of this card actually looks normal. The borders don't glow-in-the-dark and the colors in the image don't look like skittles. >>

Personally, I don't feel that Brent deserves any ”credit” for this particular listing. Huge miss. >>

Nor do I. It's called a backhanded compliment.
  • Options

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The PWCC card isn't mentioned until post #30. >>

gotcha - thanks for clearing that up. >>

They discussed a back that was somewhere between black/brown after post #30 and I thought it was regarding the $10K card as well. Now it makes a lot more sense.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least there was transparency. I guess it's not always best to go with the conveyor belt. Any AH worth their weight in salt would have seen that and highlighted it, especially in this day and age when T206 backs are hotter than 1980 Topps wax boxes.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    If this is variation, shouldn't the PSA slab say so?
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Maurice, you're confusing a marketing blurb with auction house rules. If there was an ad that said this item could be had for a song, would you walk in singing "You Light Up My Life"? image
  • Options
    The hammer price may have been 1/200 of the card's value, but at least the auction didn't have some dude's foot in the picture.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    Sweet, everyone missed it except the auction winner. As far as the thread link, I thought the people were also talking about the card from the start of the thread....trying to do some Jedi mind trick thing.
  • Options

<< <i>Maurice, you're confusing a marketing blurb with auction house rules. If there was an ad that said this item could be had for a song, would you walk in singing "You Light Up My Life"? image >>

Brent didn't violate his auction house rules--I don't hear anyone suggesting that he did. But those marketing blurbs are what he uses to sell his services and hype his auctions. The way he describes auctions is all about the marketing hype and no doubt helps him attain very strong prices on his cards. Cards, of course, which are woefully undergraded and would be a steal at anything in the realm of the next grade up's prices. image

In this case, he simply missed it, and it cost his client thousands and thousands of dollars--not to mention his own commission. To me, it's much more an issue of reputation and credibility rather than violating any of his own auction rules.

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    From what I understand, $10k would probably be a conservative estimate.

Where is this figure coming from? Are there some recent realized sales of any Brown Old Mill backs?
  • Options
    Brown Old Mill is the second scarcest T206 back next to the Ty Cobb. My guess is that estimations on value are based not on previous auction results, as it's so thinly traded, but rather on what other less rare backs go for and what those who would be in the market suggest their bids would be.

A quick google search did not yield any Brown Old Mill auction results outside of a large group sale of T206 cards containing a lone Brown Old Mill in 2010 that went for $20k. They don't appear to be traded enough to use past sales as an accurate indication of a future auction result.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From what I understand, $10k would probably be a conservative estimate.

Where is this figure coming from? Are there some recent realized sales of any Brown Old Mill backs? >>

A could years ago a t206 Sid Smith Psa Authentic Brown back sold for $4,300. I would be surprised if it doubled that sale amount. Still a nice win.
  • Options
    Rare T206 backs have exploded in recent years. It's difficult to predict the auction result of an item as thinly traded as this in such a volatile market as T206 rare backs but I think the underlying point is there. This was a mega faux pas.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Maurice, you're confusing a marketing blurb with auction house rules. If there was an ad that said this item could be had for a song, would you walk in singing "You Light Up My Life"? image >>

Brent didn't violate his auction house rules--I don't hear anyone suggesting that he did. But those marketing blurbs are what he uses to sell his services and hype his auctions. The way he describes auctions is all about the marketing hype and no doubt helps him attain very strong prices on his cards. Cards, of course, which are woefully undergraded and would be a steal at anything in the realm of the next grade up's prices. image

In this case, he simply missed it, and it cost his client thousands and thousands of dollars--not to mention his own commission. To me, it's much more an issue of reputation and credibility rather than violating any of his own auction rules. >>

If the seller knew what he had he should have spoken up. If I was consigning a rare variation I would A) send it it back to psa as a mechanical error to note the variation and then B) check the auction at least once to make sure it looked good. I don't think you can blame PWCC. They just listed as it was labeled. I think it would be slippery slope if they were held accountable for that. What if psa graded a card a 9 PWCC sold it as a 9 but the buyer cracked, resubbed and got a 10? Should PWCC have looked over the card and listed it as a 10 even though it was labeled a 9?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    I believe part of the issue is that PSA didn't start recognizing T206 backs on their flips until relatively recently. So the great majority of PSA T206 cards out there don't have the back designation.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    $10K ??? uh OK lol

it slipped, but it evens out overall image
    it works the other way too, people spending big$$ for obviously faked OM garbage
    ie the clowns spending big$$ on those obviously faked 'black double overprint' OMs that I brought to Net54s attention a few years back (see image below for an authentic one), .......shows how much some actually 'know' what they collect/have.... to give the blackdoubleOP OM guys a break it should be said that some of the faked OPOMdoubles were slabbed too lol.... and I havent collect this set in over 2 decades now and knew what they were right away... fake.

negs on this overrated ink shade/color variation in this post
    the prob is the shades of the brown and black backs are so close at time, that it can be a judgement call especially on a worn example as this card is and can look more brownish (ie dirty brownish gray) with wear. (I agree this card is a true Brown one though)

its so slight a color variation its not on everyones back 'type' list. I cant tell you how many (dozens of) threads/questions ive read over last 30 years on "Is this a Brown Back OM????? its not like the obvious differences between the red and brown Hindu cards or red/black/blue E92 CloseCandy's etc.....

funny that PSA didnt note it on flip, yet mention its supposedly 'trimmed' when if it is trimmed it was not trimmed to deceive (sharpen corners)...

bottom line...... a brown back T206 OM SL card is not rare, its only rare within the T206 group... T206 cards are the most common preWar vintage baseball card 'type' of all time!
    this Brown OM is NOT a rare 'typecard' overall within the vintage baseball card hobby, not even close, but there is ALWAYS going to be demand from the fatwallet guys solely addicted to the common T206 cards looking for a back type set w/ all variations .

a real T206 double OP brown OM SL card (w/red SC overprints, thus a printers scrap in reality, and also overrated IMO)
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Why didn't the consignor put in a safety bid?
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why didn't the consignor put in a safety bid? >>

Why didn't you?
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The hammer price may have been 1/200 of the card's value, but at least the auction didn't have some dude's foot in the picture. >>

Indeed. Yet another positive for this listing.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>Maurice, you're confusing a marketing blurb with auction house rules. >>

Negligence is defined as failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another.

When a company that markets itself as "one of the finest brokers of both vintage and modern graded sportscards" is paid to auction a sports card, and then fails to identify a significant variation when listing it, reasonable care was not exercised. As a result, the person that consigned the sports card was damaged to the tune of thousands of dollars.

How is this not a textbook example of negligence?