Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The official 2014 Topps Heritage thread

My yearly contribution - opening the new thread. Yay.

All the standards are back - same inserts and parallels. 1965 Embossed parallels will be inserted, which will be a cool subset to chase.

Text

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

Preliminary auto checklist (haha) as provided by Topps

Ernie Banks Chicago Cubs®
Willie Mays San Francisco Giants®
Bo Jackson Kansas City Royals®
Nomar Garciaparra Boston Red Sox®
Don Mattingly New York Yankees®
Tom Glavine Atlanta Braves™
Gerrit Cole Pittsburgh Pirates®
Will Clark San Francisco Giants®
Maury Wills Los Angeles Dodgers®
Yasiel Puig Los Angeles Dodgers®
Matt Adams St. Louis Cardinals®
Drew Smyly Detroit Tigers®
Wil Myers Tampa Bay Rays™
Kevin Gausman Baltimore Orioles®
Jake Odorizzi Tampa Bay Rays™
Jedd Gyorko San Diego Padres™
Mike Zunino Seattle Mariners™
Eric Davis Cincinnati Reds®
Paul O’Neill New York Yankees®
Don Baylor Angels®
Dave Concepcion Cincinnati Reds®
Michael Wacha St. Louis Cardinals®
Evan Gattis Atlanta Braves™

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    lies
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Dammit Geordie, I'm still trying to finish this years set!

I'm really looking forward to next year. IMO '65-'67 were the best 3 years of Topps after '54-'56.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>lies >>

lol - and you said that before I even cut/pasted the auto checklist!

Anthony, I hear you. And each year it gets tougher to truly finish off the whole thing. I miss the heyday years from '03-'06 when there were a lot more people involved in ripping and trading.
  • ::yawn::
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I like these! I'll be buying a few current single players I collect.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    featuring autographs from players who had their rookie season or last season in 1965, and a bunch of players who have nothing to do with 1965.
  • I like the players who sign whose last card was in 1965. Yogi Bera;s last player card and why I do think Don Larsen as well.

I love the obscure players who finally get to sign a card and the 1965 draft topic is a good one. Go deep Topps and find the interesting people as well as the biggies to sign.

Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I'll be in deep on these. As previously stated early, these are my favorite years coming up (65-68). As always we all hope for the best, and then ...
    But I am going to try and remain optimistic about 2014.

There better be a Tony Perez and Joe Morgan auto in this set!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

The base set and short prints will be fun. I am also a big fan of the late sixties style.

Last year, I didn't get any of the crazy inserts, (the minis, bazooka, stamps, Senators, box top 64 relics....etc,.)

I got one gold, one black refractor, a dime, two autos, 5 Venezuelan, 12 In Action and 2 color variations.

While I look forward to the set design...I get a bit discouraged that the cool / interesting stuff will be a long shot (if at all).

Oh well... that is Heritage

And in my opinion, those have to be the best looking Relics to date...!
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I can't remember the last time I was this excited for Heritage. The 65 and 66 designs are 2 of my favorite. I am glad they are brining out the mini foils!

• << <i>featuring autographs from players who had their rookie season or last season in 1965, and a bunch of players who have nothing to do with 1965. >>

LOL. I want the Cecilio Guante auto!

• << <i>I can't remember the last time I was this excited for Heritage. The 65 and 66 designs are 2 of my favorite. I am glad they are brining out the mini foils! >>

I LOVE the '65 design. I have collected every master set thru 2012 (don't have this year's yet), but I will definitely be in on the 2014 cards.

The First Draft Cards look like they have potential. Are they replacing the memorable moments ?

Hopefully that sub set will be seeded 1-3 per box.

Also, does anyone have information on the Hamilton card....?

It looks like a cool sub set, but one that might be 1 per case.
    Got my case ordered and reserved, yahoo!
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    Configuration: 12 boxes per case. 24 packs per box. 9 cards per pack.

1965 comes alive in the upcoming Topps Heritage Baseball! Topps Heritage captures the best current and past MLB players in the 1965 Topps design. In this year's edition, we have added new inserts, variations and buybacks that celebrate the key events from 1965. Of course, we will also have the Real One Autographs and Clubhouse Collection Relics that are staples of Heritage Baseball.

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
    - Every Box will include: 1 autographed or relic card

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

AUTOGRAPHED CARDS

Real one autographs
    Retired and active players.
    - Real One Special Edition - Signed in Red ink. #'d to 65.

Real One Dual Autographs
    Numbered to 25. HOBBY ONLY

Real One TRIPLE Autographs
    Numbered to 5. HOBBY ONLY

Clubhouse Collection Autograph Relics
    Numbered to 25.

Clubhouse Collection Dual Autograph Relics
    Numbered to 10. HOBBY ONLY

Flashbacks Autographed Relics
    Numbered to 25.

1965 Cut Signatures
    1 of 1

RELIC CARDS

Clubhouse Collection
    Single uniform and bat relic cards of active stars.
    - Clubhouse Collection Gold Parallel #'d to 99.

Clubhouse Collection Dual Relics
    Dual uniform and bat relic cards featuring a player from 1965 matched with a current player from the same franchise. Numbered to 65.

Clubhouse Collection Triple Relic
    Numbered to 25. NEW!

Clubhouse Collection Quad Relic
    Numbered to 10. NEW!

Book Cards
    Includes a jumbo patch, bat knob or bat plate in a book card. #'d 1 of 1.

INSERT CARDS

New Age Performers
    Top current players whose performances have eclipsed the giants of the past.

Then and Now
    Statistical comparisons of 1965 players vs. 2013 players.

Baseball Flashbacks
    Highlights from the 1965 season.

1965 Topps Embossed
    A recreation of the Topps Embossed cards from 1965 featuring top current players & U.S. Presidents. NEW!

1st Draft card
    Celebrates the inaugural edition of the MLB Draft. NEW!

News Flashbacks
    World news moments from 1965.

BASE CARDS (1-500)

Base Cards (425 subjects)
    Veterans and Rookies in the 1965 Topps Design.

High-Numbered Short-Printed cards (75)

BASE CARD VARIATIONS

Error Cards
    Cards reproducing errors from the 1965 set.

Throwback uniform Variations Cards featuring subjects in throwback uniforms. NEW!

Action Image Variations - Features new images of star players in action. HOBBY ONLY.

Logo Variations - Alternate logo variations for star players. HOBBY ONLY. NEW!

PARALLELS

Black backs
    The base card backs are featured in Black.

Mini Base Variation #'d to 100.

Chrome Base Variation
    - Chrome Refractor Parallel
    - Black-Bordered Chrome Parallel #'d to 65.
    - Gold-Bordered Chrome Parallel #'d to 5. HOBBY ONLY!

BOX LOADERS
    1965 AD PANELS
    3-card strips with an advertisement on the back, featuring a player. HOBBY ONLY.

1965 Topps Originals
    Original cards foil-stamped and inserted in a wrap. HOBBY ONLY.

1965 OVERSIZED Baseball Players
    Styled after the 1965 Presidents & Famous Americans oversized cards. HOBBY ONLY.
    - Insert version limited to 50.
    - Relics #'d to 25.
    - Autographs #'d to 10.
    bump...

Am I excited or what!
    1966-69 Topps EX+
  • I have written an article about 2014 Topps Heritage and included a bunch of pictures. I also make several comments and suggestions to make the product line better. I know not everyone will agree with what I have to say but I would be interested to hear your comments and suggestions!

Check it out here...

2014 Topps Heritage Detailed Preview!!!

Thanks! Is it March yet????

Craig from Texas

Great article Craig ! Right on the money. I think we all have our wish list, and preferences.

Remember in 2006 (1957 series), the SP was a variation, blue letter, different pose, etc.

I was hooked on that, it wasn't just the last 75 cards, they were through out the set and the variations were the SPs.

Then when they went to the last 75 cards, a lot of collectors were happy because the SP's were easier to identify, so they created the SSP, (gimmick).

If they do them, I wish they were as easy to pull as the SP (not super-short printed) and part of the set instead of the gimmick chase card that stands as an oddity outside the set.

It's too bad that they are a rarity, that few collectors own.

Again- Awesome Article !

• Thanks! I do like it when the variations are part of the SP set and not super shortprinted. I also liked it when no one knew what the variations were and we had to figure out on our own. It seems nowadays there are no more unannounced value-added goodies. I also don't like the fact that SPs and inserts are in the same place in each pack. Would love these to be more random. Oh well.

Craig from Texas
    Any decent presell case prices?
    Nice review and some good ideas. Keep (more like return) Heritage pure!
    1966-69 Topps EX+

Just placed my case order. Hope it's a good year.
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Mattingly, will Clark, Bo Jackson auto's?!
    that is a collectors lineup.

I'm looking forward to this years Heritage!

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• I plan on building the '14 Heritage set with my 4 1/2 year old son this year.. He's really gotten into cards this year, and I think it would be something we could both enjoy together.

Would you all recommend buying a few boxes, or just splurging and buying a case? If a case - what's a good presell price? I'm seeing $705 or so right now.

Thanks!

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    Hope they have some of those autograph redemption cards. You know the ones when you send them on you never hear from them again!!
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hope they have some of those autograph redemption cards. You know the ones when you send them on you never hear from them again!! >>

This happens? If it is a common problem then I believe a mass lawsuit against Topps would be in order.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

<< <i>I plan on building the '14 Heritage set with my 4 1/2 year old son this year.. He's really gotten into cards this year, and I think it would be something we could both enjoy together.

Would you all recommend buying a few boxes, or just splurging and buying a case? If a case - what's a good presell price? I'm seeing $705 or so right now.

Thanks! >>

The price of $705 is good, I paid $720. It will prolly take 5-6 boxes to get a set if your lucky. You could always resell a few boxes right here on this sight. Good luck and have fun!
    1966-69 Topps EX+

I started buying a case a year a while back.

I think one year (can't remember which), I was able to complete the master set (with the three or four subsets, no SSPs). I typically fall a few cards short, one year I was missing quite a few.

I always hope a case contains at least one complete set.

2012 heritage can be found for for around 45 or less a box, if anyone wants a cheap way to dip into the craze.

W
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been putting together Heritage sets since the 2005 (1956) product and I'm really looking forward to this year's edition (love the 1965 design). I've decided to buy a full, sealed hobby case for the first time and would like some recommendations from the regulars regarding reliable dealers, how much I should expect to spend and when should I buy (presell or wait until its live?)

Thanks in advance for any info you're willing to share!
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love the 65 set. This would be the only thing to get me to dive into modern, but I'm curious - for those who have bought a case, how close have you come to recouping your investment after selling off hits? I think I would like putting the set together, but don't have much interest in retaining parallels, relics, etc.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's bad luck, but I've bout a case every year since the '55 reissue and have yet to get a complete set out of it. Never pulled anything worth selling either, so while it's not nearly as much fun it's more economical for me to buy a complete set off ebay a few weeks after the launch.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• I'm in, as usual.

Great read Craig

<< <i>I've been putting together Heritage sets since the 2005 (1956) product and I'm really looking forward to this year's edition (love the 1965 design). I've decided to buy a full, sealed hobby case for the first time and would like some recommendations from the regulars regarding reliable dealers, how much I should expect to spend and when should I buy (presell or wait until its live?)

Thanks in advance for any info you're willing to share! >>

The presell price is around $700. Not sure if it comes down a lot after it's live. It depends on the production run and demand. I would think this year it may be tough to get them lower than $59 a box.

One year I think a got a complete set from a case ( I started buying a case in 2008 ), usually I'm 4-5 cards short,

I think 2008 I got the full set (with black and green backs), but they introduced the SSP that year and I didn't find one of those.

2009- I think was the worse, where I was 14 short, including a non-SP.

I collect and I don't try to re-coup the money spent, so can't speak to that.

Has anyone seen a complete checklist for this year yet?

• << <i>Maybe it's bad luck, but I've bout a case every year since the '55 reissue and have yet to get a complete set out of it. Never pulled anything worth selling either, so while it's not nearly as much fun it's more economical for me to buy a complete set off ebay a few weeks after the launch. >>

I do the same thing and usually buy two boxes to break from my local hobby shop just for fun. Might buy a few blasters here and there as well. I usually pick one modern set to break each year. Last year I did Heritage and definitely will again this year as well.
    Only about 7 weeks until release!
    1966-69 Topps EX+
  • Looking forward to the full ROA list. IMHO, the Yankees autos from 2010-2012 have been weak at best. Andy Pettitte was interesting in the 2012 high numbers release. Very disappointed 2013 high numbers had no Yankees ROA and only Bobby Richardson made the regular Auto list. At least CC had a showing with the dual autos/relics. Hat Tip to Craig for providing the 2013 checklist by team…very helpful.
    Check out my Collection @ http://www.zistle.com/YankeesNYY
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe it's bad luck, but I've bout a case every year since the '55 reissue and have yet to get a complete set out of it. Never pulled anything worth selling either, so while it's not nearly as much fun it's more economical for me to buy a complete set off ebay a few weeks after the launch. >>

I do the same thing and usually buy two boxes to break from my local hobby shop just for fun. Might buy a few blasters here and there as well. I usually pick one modern set to break each year. Last year I did Heritage and definitely will again this year as well. >>

That's probably the way I would go too. I love building sets, but don't want to end up paying $400 for the set after trying to recoup on hits. Buying a box for fun and then buying the set seems to make the most sense (but not the most fun).
  • Geordie I miss those years too I'm still trying to finish the 2003 Heritage chrome refractors xx554 I still need THC 4 5 28 47 54 56 86 Back then it was a lot easier. Happier times in the kingdom
    Regards
    Charlie G
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Well, it's January 15th and I already broke one of my stated collecting goals for 2014 (not buying any cases of new product)!!!

The 1965 design is by far my favorite Topps design... of the 1960-present era... so I just broke down and pre-ordered a case image

Can't wait to put this set together
  • Does it mean the Topps Heritage run is getting thin when they've moved to just getting any auto? I really liked the idea of autos from retired players during their anniversary years of playing, and of course current players. It was a little frustrating lately to see Tex Clevenger, Johnny James & Bob Cerv make the auto line up but at least it was relevant. So now, the 9x Gold Glove, 6x All Star & 3x Silver Slugger, Don Mattingly, is possibly on the ROA line up. Born in 1961, with first MLB appearance in 1982; Bo Jackson Born 1962, Paul O'Neill born 1963...I just don't see the relevance. Cool to think I'll get a Mattingly Heritage Auto, before the set coverage runs out, but it almost seems like the legs are coming to an end on this Gilligan.

• << <i>Geordie I miss those years too I'm still trying to finish the 2003 Heritage chrome refractors xx554 I still need THC 4 5 28 47 54 56 86 Back then it was a lot easier. Happier times in the kingdom
    Regards
    Charlie G >>

2003 THC5 sold for $30 earlier this year. I thought it was a little on the high side and held off until this Dec when another one went for $40.

<< <i>Does it mean the Topps Heritage run is getting thin when they've moved to just getting any auto? I really liked the idea of autos from retired players during their anniversary years of playing, and of course current players. It was a little frustrating lately to see Tex Clevenger, Johnny James & Bob Cerv make the auto line up but at least it was relevant. So now, the 9x Gold Glove, 6x All Star & 3x Silver Slugger, Don Mattingly, is possibly on the ROA line up. Born in 1961, with first MLB appearance in 1982; Bo Jackson Born 1962, Paul O'Neill born 1963...I just don't see the relevance. Cool to think I'll get a Mattingly Heritage Auto, before the set coverage runs out, but it almost seems like the legs are coming to an end on this Gilligan. >>

Agree, but trying to stay positive until delivery day...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
  • I'm still not sure I'm going to pick up a case, but I will definitely pick up a few boxes.

I picked up two boxes of 2013 Heritage from the White Plains show yesterday. I was happy paying $55/box. Scored a Purple Refractor Hot Box, which was cool. I can say I'm definitely hooked. Will be trying to complete the set in the next 2 months, and then I will dive into 2014!
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I dig 'em and will pick up a box or two.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>Does it mean the Topps Heritage run is getting thin when they've moved to just getting any auto? I really liked the idea of autos from retired players during their anniversary years of playing, and of course current players. It was a little frustrating lately to see Tex Clevenger, Johnny James & Bob Cerv make the auto line up but at least it was relevant. So now, the 9x Gold Glove, 6x All Star & 3x Silver Slugger, Don Mattingly, is possibly on the ROA line up. Born in 1961, with first MLB appearance in 1982; Bo Jackson Born 1962, Paul O'Neill born 1963...I just don't see the relevance. Cool to think I'll get a Mattingly Heritage Auto, before the set coverage runs out, but it almost seems like the legs are coming to an end on this Gilligan. >>

They may be trying to shift it a bit because of some of the buzz they got from the Archives set and some negative reviews about the auto selection.

While the "last year of playing" auto concept sounded cool, collectors really want the superstars or childhood idols.

Relevant or not, when the autos are two per case, it's only a let down when the one you get is someone you never heard of...
    topps gave more autographs this year but they were of current guys who really no one wanted. I think the longer odds on some of the hits have turned collectors off. Chrome and refractor odds were very long this year. The normal 3 chromes and one refractor per box were really nice. Set collectors are getting killed on heritage if they can't find like 10 guys to trade with.

I think another big problem with topps company in general is that the turn over is so quick that no one has any history or pride in their work. If you wanted to find out some info on 2001 or 2002
    heritage there isn't a person working for topps who would have more info on that than us. It is just another low end money grab early in the baseball season to them. Keeping with
    tradition isn't important. They owe us long time heritage collectors nothing.

Waalt
  • i hope they go back to Heritage Card Stock this year. Last year was atrocious
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

• << <i>topps gave more autographs this year but they were of current guys who really no one wanted. I think the longer odds on some of the hits have turned collectors off. Chrome and refractor odds were very long this year. The normal 3 chromes and one refractor per box were really nice. Set collectors are getting killed on heritage if they can't find like 10 guys to trade with.

I think another big problem with topps company in general is that the turn over is so quick that no one has any history or pride in their work. If you wanted to find out some info on 2001 or 2002
    heritage there isn't a person working for topps who would have more info on that than us. It is just another low end money grab early in the baseball season to them. Keeping with
    tradition isn't important. They owe us long time heritage collectors nothing.

Waalt >>

That's a shame. The set was so much fun to put together here between 2003-2007. Those early sets took me years to finish. So proud of my run on these sets from 2001-2012, but I don't know...I do like the '65 design, so we'll see. The trading doesn't really exist here anymore though.

• << <i>i hope they go back to Heritage Card Stock this year. Last year was atrocious >>

It's the only year I haven't really collected. Were the backs white?