Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hand Cutting Guide

Hello,

Is there a solid thread with a how-to guide for hand cutting cards? I searched and didn't find much. Nothing on google either. I'm considering a purchase of an industrial quality roller cutter for precise edging. These are in the $200 neighborhood. Would appreciate hearing from you if you are skilled in this practice so we can talk shop.

Thanks,

Nate
The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know Rob purchased an expensive cutter like you are referencing and it has paid for itself with some high grades on hand cut cards.

One thing I do know is it takes practice to get good so you should buy some cheaper material that you don't mind if it gets ruined to work on first.

• dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. hopefully Rob will read this and give me a holler. I have about 1000 1990s Donruss cards from my younger days of collecting that aren't in great shape. Will probably practice by trimming some of those and then discarding them.
  • I'm thinking of buying an uncut sheet of an oddball issue on eBay. The purpose would be to cut out one of the guys I collect and maybe a couple others. These are on a very flimsy stock - a pretty thin paper. I've never attempted this and am almost certain I would screw it up. I'm looking for either advice or somebody who's confident enough to take this on for me.

Nate, did you ever buy this cutter? Your hand cut stuff looks really nice. Is the Rob mentioned here WCK? Is there anybody else reading this who has advice or is willing to otherwise help? Thanks in advance.
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    My Drake's cakes panels and Topps box bottoms are anxiously awaiting some responses.
  • I received a PM suggesting I buy a guillotine cutter. Is that the way to go? Can I get them at staples? How much? Or is there a better (affordable) option?
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm thinking of buying an uncut sheet of an oddball issue on eBay. The purpose would be to cut out one of the guys I collect and maybe a couple others. These are on a very flimsy stock - a pretty thin paper. I've never attempted this and am almost certain I would screw it up. I'm looking for either advice or somebody who's confident enough to take this on for me.

Nate, did you ever buy this cutter? Your hand cut stuff looks really nice. Is the Rob mentioned here WCK? Is there anybody else reading this who has advice or is willing to otherwise help? Thanks in advance. >>

I wouldn't mind doing this for you but I want to wait for a new cutter. I haven't bought it yet but I'll be upgrading soon due to some limitations/issues with my current cutter.

Based on the searching I've done, it doesn't seem that a guillotine cutter is good for precision. The one I am planning to get is a Dahle 440 industrial rolling cutter, self sharpening. What I use today is an inexpensive Fiskars model (SureCut Deluxe Craft Paper Trimmer 12") that does very well considering the cost. I think I can get a better edge with a new cutter but this was a good starting/learning model for me.

I'll PM you with some info on people to contact.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm thinking of buying an uncut sheet of an oddball issue on eBay. The purpose would be to cut out one of the guys I collect and maybe a couple others. These are on a very flimsy stock - a pretty thin paper. I've never attempted this and am almost certain I would screw it up. I'm looking for either advice or somebody who's confident enough to take this on for me.

Nate, did you ever buy this cutter? Your hand cut stuff looks really nice. Is the Rob mentioned here WCK? Is there anybody else reading this who has advice or is willing to otherwise help? Thanks in advance. >>

I wouldn't mind doing this for you but I want to wait for a new cutter. I haven't bought it yet but I'll be upgrading soon due to some limitations/issues with my current cutter.

Based on the searching I've done, it doesn't seem that a guillotine cutter is good for precision. The one I am planning to get is a Dahle 440 industrial rolling cutter, self sharpening. What I use today is an inexpensive Fiskars model (SureCut Deluxe Craft Paper Trimmer 12") that does very well considering the cost. I think I can get a better edge with a new cutter but this was a good starting/learning model for me.

I'll PM you with some info on people to contact. >>

I have handcut many cards and have pulled some nice gem mint grades. I would never use a guillotine cutter at all. You are on the right track with the Dahle industrial cutter. Most of my items are thinner stock and not solid cardboard if that makes any difference. I agree with practicing on some lesser priced items to get the hang of it. I feel completely justified in paying good money for a cutter as the price to pay someone to cut the cards for me or to get higher grades justifies the cost of cutting yourself with good equipment. Good luck in your quest. Yes Rob is WCK! image
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Actually some of the real flimsy stock is good to work with as it always flexes and it is a bit harder to create a crease in the item while some mid-grade stock is rather unforgiving and any bend will create a crease. There are some cards were I'd love to have some handcut items slabbed but with the harder stock I also know that it is very likely there is a crease in it already. The paper stock checks out good most of the time......some times near the binding in a magazine it does have a crease though.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

<< <i>I received a PM suggesting I buy a guillotine cutter. Is that the way to go? Can I get them at staples? How much? Or is there a better (affordable) option? >>

There was a guy that used a ruler and a exacto knife. There is no way I could do it this way but it was cheap and worked for him.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I received a PM suggesting I buy a guillotine cutter. Is that the way to go? Can I get them at staples? How much? Or is there a better (affordable) option? >>

There was a guy that used a ruler and a exacto knife. There is no way I could do it this way but it was cheap and worked for him. >>

This is what I do also. I use a metal ruler and an exacto knife on a self healing mat and I've scored some high grade hand cut cards using this technique.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Exacto and ruler for me too. I've cut thinner paper stock along with hostess type thickness too. Sharp new blade and a steady slice-no start and stop.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector