Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1973 Wrestling ANNUALS Andre the Giant & 27 GEM MINT, GPA 9.75 black borders!!!!

Andre the Giant, a true legendary wrestler and a piece of Americana
Dick the Bruiser, grisly voice and a former Green Bay Packer with an incredible build
The Crusher, is loved in the Midwest and goes hand in hand with Dick the Bruiser
Verne Gagne, I met him and a great guy, responsible for developing many wrestlers
Chief Wahoo, another football player and a FYI for the board, I am a member of the Yurok Tribe
Raymond Rougeau, a member of this famous wrestling family in Canada
The original sheik, and a true crazy man with his antics!
Legendary wrestler!
Billed as the worlds strongest wrestler!
Mormon Giant!
A great scientific wrestler!
Only card of Red produced!
Brother of Ole Anderson
Nearly pinned Koloff for the WWWF title
Famous Texas wrestler in the 1970s

An awesome rookie card of a very nice man to me
Gotta like this wrestler from my nearest big city, SF
Quite the character!
Former San Diego Charger, the Big Cat
Many years I called my cousin Rene Goulet and I never knew why!
Has another magazine card from this era that I got slabbed
Finally was about to pull a PSA Gem Mint 10 from the off center sheet
Pedro Morales, pretty famous wrestler that gets little love with collectors
Joe Leduc, what a wild man!!!!!!!!
Victor Rivera, above Andre on the uncut sheet
Bull Bullinski, not the cleanest gem mint but so be it
The Destroyer, international superstar with lots of wrestling in Japan
Dom Denucci, next to Andre on the sheet so many are ruined
BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    Nice work on that Rougeau. Color me jealous.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice run of GEMS! Especially 40 year old ones
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Very nice grades!
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Very cool cards and nice grades image
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I added six more today, wooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice Rob. Congrats. Do you cut them or do you have someone cut them for you?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    #1 Paul Jones - his Army battles with the Boogie Woogie Man were always very funny.
    Looking for low #'d 2006 Marques Hagans + 1991 Wild Card stripes of UVA players - Tony Covington, Shawn Moore, Herman Moore
  • Options
    I have did the hand cutting for these cards! The problem right now is just getting the sheets as most of my supply has run dry. I'd like to get a few more 10s that are attainable. I think there is only 27 attainable PSA 10s and I have 20 now so I am closing in on it.
  • Options
    I got a few more of these sheets from Knapp in a trade and I am very convinced the backs do not match up to the front of the cards. You can see how they line up by putting the sheet to light as the stock is thin. While it may be possible to get a PSA 10 if PSA was very lenient and you cut the card with extra large borders on a few of the cards. I think with the alignment some cards will never be found in a PSA 10. Interesting and a little disappointing as I was hoping to get as close to a PSA 10 set across the board. For the moment it looks as 27 of 36 and the others to be 9s is the best possible.

• Options
    Very nice Rob, congrats!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Rob!
  • Options
    PSA 9 Andre

This is quite the description.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Ray "The Crippler" Stevens just about ruined my childhood when he pile drived Jimmy Snuka
    on the cement floor.. Worst day of my childhood... lol
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Dick the Bruiser!! So famous here in Detroit!!
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Awesome description!! I'm definitely copying and pasting when I sell another Andre the giant card. The guy who has the Yamakatsu listed for over 2gs should take note!! His description stinks compared to this
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome description!! I'm definitely copying and pasting when I sell another Andre the giant card. The guy who has the yamakatsu listed for over 2gs should take note!! His description stinks compared to this >>

Same seller. Maybe they run consignments.

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    These cards are gorgeous!
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Those look really nice!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Very cool
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    I need to talk about the 1973s like this guy does and then my cards would instantly be worth a lot more.....ha ha. The black dots between Andre's legs always was a curiosity to me and now it is obvious it is an electrical outlet.
  • Options
    I picked up another 1973 wrestling annual magazine but unfortunately I do not think it will yield much to help me. Pretty disappointed actually.
  • Options
    Bummer....lots of creasing?
  • Options
    more so different toning on one page.....grey and brownish......
  • Options
    Nice to see these debut in the SMR......should help bring some visibility to them to other collectors.......

• Options
    My Killer Kowalski just popped a PSA 10, I thought it was a beaut and is the only card from the nine card sheet that is off centered on the back to ever achieve a PSA 10 Gem Mint grade. I am so excited about this as this will be very, very tough to replicate.
  • Options
    My GPA advanced even higher for this set....getting up there! I am surprised to have hit a Gem Mint 10 on a card that is often found on an off center sheet.
  • Options
    I have been selling off some of my duplicates from this set and getting about 3x SMR for the PSA 8s and 2x SMR for the PSA 9s. I really do wish that PSA would have something like VCP to be their guide. The wrestling all stars are a perfect example of the SMR not really reflecting actual pricing at all. I know this is nothing new to anyone here on the boards just an area of improvement that could be made at PSA.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been selling off some of my duplicates from this set and getting about 3x SMR for the PSA 8s and 2x SMR for the PSA 9s. I really do wish that PSA would have something like VCP to be their guide. The wrestling all stars are a perfect example of the SMR not really reflecting actual pricing at all. I know this is nothing new to anyone here on the boards just an area of improvement that could be made at PSA. >>

Their pricing on Wacky Packages has never changed once since they started it.
  • Options
    The must not have enough manpower to track and make the updates. I imagine they are tracking the higher profile cards.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool cards, love 'em.
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool cards, love 'em. >>

Thanks! I hope I am able to find a few more cards that will help me advance my set this year. That pretty much means I need to find myself some Gem Mint cards that currently do not exist to date.
  • Options
    1973 Annual

Someday the collection may prove to be valuable!

I have never handled one of these and I saw the page right before the pictures and thought this was funny.

• Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the free advertisement, David image

Yes, the little intro story before the cards had me chuckling, too, the first time I came across one of these.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    I'm the buyer (not surprisingly). It will be fun to have some more of these to cut up and see if I can further perfect my sharp edge!
  • Options
    I like that Big Cat card

A question
    Wouldn't a whole uncut sheet be worth more than those same cards being PSA graded?
  • Options

<< <i>I like that Big Cat card >>

Me too. The Sheik card is really cool too. Apparently he was quite feared in this era.

• Options
    I've got an extra somewhere......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I like that Big Cat card >>

Me too. The Sheik card is really cool too. Apparently he was quite feared in this era. >>

The more I read about The Sheik, the more I really enjoy that guy. He seems like quite a character!
  • Options
    WCK or Dpeck

You guys collect NFL cards of Ladd or McDaniels?
  • Options

<< <i>WCK or Dpeck

You guys collect NFL cards of Ladd or McDaniels? >>

I have considered picking up the McDaniels card.....I used to collect some cards of Leo Nomellini. I may get around to it but they seem somewhat easy to find in comparison to wrestling cards. My focus has been on the wrestling cards, but never say never.
  • Options
    Ok in my best Don King Voice

Wrestlemania 50

Ladder match
    Street fight rules
    HBK special guest ref

WCK vs Dpeck

All their wrestling cards in a brief case above the ring
    Winner takes all the cards loser only collects WNBA cards for life
  • Options
    I just picked up my seventh magazine up in the mail yesterday. I already have my plans to cut myself some gem mints tonight! My Andre tally is at 5, 6, 8, 8, and 9. I have one nice raw and one still intact.
  • Options
    I added a gem mint PSA 10 Pedro Morales in a self sub so now I have 22 Gem Mint cards from this 36 card set.....
  • Options
    Congrats! That's a monster set!
  • Options
    Nice work Rob! Always exciting to advance a set.

• Options

<< <i>Congrats! That's a monster set! >>

I've pretty much supplied the five completed sets on the registry so it is mostly me but it is nice to see others have interest in the set. I completed a second set to go with this one although I have never proven to be able to hold on to cards outside of my best set. I did pop a few other gem mints that people may have interest in.....
  • Options
    I sold my first PSA 9 for a good amount as I figured that I could get another PSA 9 down the road. The journey was a bit longer than what I thought but I got the card again and will be keeping it this time. I am officially at 9.61 of a possible 9.61 for the set and have two PSA 8's of Andre the Giant that I can sell. There are no cards from the set that exists today that would improve my set unless you count the raw ones at PSA now that I plan to do well on....

1 1 23202448 MINT 9 1973 Wrestling Annual #6-Hand Cut Andre the Giant Card
    Total Items: 1
    Date Received: 8/29/2014
    Date Shipped: 9/8/2014
    Order Status: OK
  • Options
    Added Pedro Morales PSA 10 Gem Mint to this thread!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    You mentioned the football player Leo Nomellini. Did he wrestle? And did he do real wrestling or the fake stuff?
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! I'm working on two psa sets, one with blue borders and the other with black. TOUGH to get mint!