Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

UNOPENED Packs with HOF Rookie cards Showing

rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
I want to start this thread to show off your HOF Rookie card showing packs. A few years ago I set out collect a Rookie card showing pack or rack for everyone inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame starting with the year 2000. Here's a list of the inductees and scans of how I'm doing.
If you happen to have something I’m missing please show it off and let me know!

The year 2000, an extremely tough year:
Carlton fisk
Tony Perez

2001, a pair of MN greats
Dave Winfield
Kirby Puckett

2002:
Ozzie Smith

Eddie Murray
Garry Carter

Paul Molitor
Dennis Eckersly -this one took awhile but feels rewarding for good reason.

Wade Boggs
Ryne Sandberg

Bruce Sutter

Cal Ripken
Tony Gwynn

Rich Gossage

Rickey Henderson
Jim Rice

Andre Dawson

Roberto Alomar
Bert Blyleven - this will be a tough one to find authenticated.

2012 Barry Larkin

Greg Maddux
Tom Glavine
Frank Thomas

2015 Craig Biggio
Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
John Smoltz

Ken Griffey Jr.
Mike Piazza

Jeff Bagwell
Ivan Rodriquez
Tim Raines

Allen Trammell
Jim Thome
Jack Morris
Chipper Jones
Trevor Hoffman
Vlad Guerrero

Lee Smith
Mariano Rivera
Mike Mussina
Edgar Martinez
Roy Halliday (don’t believe a pack or rack showing card exists)
Harold Baines

Larry Walker
Derek Jeter

No one elected

David Ortiz
Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies

Comments

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Added this one today. Probably paid more than I should have but it was just one I had to have.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I missed the original post, but that's an impressive run of unopened! I'm guessing Ripken is a fav?
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Anyone notice the second 75 Carter pack was noted as Gary "Cartel" by PSA?
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, I missed the original post, but that's an impressive run of unopened! I'm guessing Ripken is a fav? >>

No, IIRC he won a full cello box of them from a Ripken collector.

Ryan, I think that 1979 Ozzie cello was originally mine, LOL. I have its twin around someplace in the vault. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • WOW. Simply amazing!

i think those '75 Carters belonged to Mike Kelly originally
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Don't you have the best cello pack rookie on top from 80's to 90's. Great collection and that's a massive amount of Ripken's....my goodness lol! I seen a guy on YouTube (Muggyman - believe he was a member here at one time before I joined) that has a massive amount of cellos with rookies on top!
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    This is a really cool collection you've put together. The Bruce Sutter rack pack reminds me of a video I once did.

Thank you for sharing!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow, I missed the original post, but that's an impressive run of unopened! I'm guessing Ripken is a fav? >>

No, IIRC he won a full cello box of them from a Ripken collector.

Ryan, I think that 1979 Ozzie cello was originally mine, LOL. I have its twin around someplace in the vault. image >>

Thanks all for the kind words and thanks for the Ozzie cello.... I don't remember exactly where I got that one but if you sent it my way thanks, I've taken good care of it!

For the Ripken's I actually bought those all over the years with no more than 2 or 3 coming from any one source. Quite a bit came from old GAI packs and back in the day I would buy all the cellos I could get with my top price being $45. Here's one of my favorite PSA pack submissions from 2011.

And if they ever start stabbing racks I have a few more Ripken's to grade:

<< <i>WOW. Simply amazing!

i think those '75 Carters belonged to Mike Kelly originally >>

I don't remember if I sent those in or bought them graded, but I definately remember the signing. A very nice man and experience:

<< <i>This is a really cool collection you've put together. The Bruce Sutter rack pack reminds me of a video I once did.

Thank you for sharing! >>

Jeff that video makes me almost cry each time I see it. image

I am a huge fan of ripping but that's one I would have liked to see get saved. It's right up there with the lost Dr. J '72 wax that didn't get saved and sent in to PSA. Anyway you saved those Clemens Leaf wax packs so you will always be Aces in my book. Thanks again!
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is a really cool collection you've put together. The Bruce Sutter rack pack reminds me of a video I once did.

Thank you for sharing! >>

Jeff that video makes me almost cry each time I see it. image

I am a huge fan of ripping but that's one I would have liked to see get saved. It's right up there with the lost Dr. J '72 wax that didn't get saved and sent in to PSA. Anyway you saved those Clemens Leaf wax packs so you will always be Aces in my book. Thanks again! >>

In retrospect - I wish I had saved that pack too! The ripping karma got me too, that pack was a total dud, aside from the Sutter card. Lesson learned.

Amazing looking collection, Ryan! You can never go wrong keeping those star-showing packs unopened.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
    Got the Larkin

<< <i>Got the Larkin >>

image I have quite a few of the Topps cellos/racks, but no Fleer yet.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Ryan ... an amazing collection. Thanks for sharing ENJOY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

• << <i>Don't you have the best cello pack rookie on top from 80's to 90's. Great collection and that's a massive amount of Ripken's....my goodness lol! I seen a guy on YouTube (Muggyman - believe he was a member here at one time before I joined) that has a massive amount of cellos with rookies on top! >>

Muggyman had a lot that were fakes. When he found out they were fake, he tried to sell them off before anyone caught on. He was tarred and feathered and run off the board.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone notice the second 75 Carter pack was noted as Gary "Cartel" by PSA? >>

Whoever Gary Cartel is, I wouldn't mess with him.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    Good progress recently on the project here's the Maddux who was by far my favorite pitcher in the '90s .....although you probably couldn't tell that from my unopened collection.

My concern today is that I've not seen a Pedro showing pack or rack. Does anyone know of a product that this could exist in?

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously there isn't one in '91 UDFE but I believe the '92 Bowman packs are pretty see-through.

Arthur

<< <i>Obviously there isn't one in '91 UDFE but I believe the '92 Bowman packs are pretty see-through.

Arthur >>

For 92 Bowman it should be possible for a Pedro on the back, the top card (which is usually much easier to make out) has always been from the E sheet and Pedro on the A sheet. Rivera on top is possible if you want to grab one before induction. I'm not sure on Jumbo sequencing.
    Ok thanks for the Pedro suggestion, at least it probably exists even if none are graded yet. My probably not pack list remains at 2 for now.

Here's my Alomar and in 1988 (or 1998) I would have bet on Grace being the hall of famer but I'm glad. Found a pack with them both.

Here's a nice looking Glavine. I was glad to see he and Maddux go in together.

Added the Frank Thomas today. Nothing exists PSA graded so I went with a BBCE rack.

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    wow. impressive....with the "altered packs or upgraded packs" and "tough to get authenticated"..does that mean people are faking even modern cellos, 30-40$ packs?...gee whiz...cant trust anyone or anything these days....very impressive collection..keep posting...thanks
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Great collection.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    whats all this about muggy man...cant find a good thread....anyone have a link?...he sounds familiar and i think i recall his posts....wasnt he ripping just awesome packs?...i thought there is something about him that stands out i can t recall, he was charismatic if its the same guy
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    Originally posted by: seebelow
    wow. impressive....with the "altered packs or upgraded packs" and "tough to get authenticated"..does that mean people are faking even modern cellos, 30-40$ packs?...gee whiz...cant trust anyone or anything these days..

Not sure exactly what you're talking about with the altered packs. I more so like having my packs sealed for protection and display so I had Steve wrap it not that I had any doubt it was authentic. The reason I can't get a PSA graded example is because the value really isn't there so no one has submitted a Thomas rookie pack yet. If these actually went for $40 I'm sure some would start to be submitted and I could have picked one up already graded.
    Congrats to Ken Griffey Jr. on making the hall! Here's my favorite pack

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a great thread! Those are some really great unopened packs you have amassed. Looking forward to following the progress of your protect.
    Steve
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On your sub form it says "altered stock". Can you explain that in relation
    to the cellos you submitted? Thank you.
  • Originally posted by: rtimmer
    Congrats to Ken Griffey Jr. on making the hall! Here's my favorite pack

I sent an 89 F Ripken FF cello in this year and they sent it back too big. I thought it was due to the 36 cards in the pack but obviously yours made it.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Tibor

On your sub form it says "altered stock". Can you explain that in relation

to the cellos you submitted? Thank you.

Altered stock on a pack sub is the term used when pack fails authentication for whatever reason.

Beautiful Griffey cello, Ryan!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you grote15. Tibor
    Odd they wouldn't use N4: Questionable Authenticity for those. Is N4 perhaps used when it's an obvious fake/resealed pack and N5 where it's likely good, but Steve can't be 100% certain?
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    The dreaded N5 on pack grading, that's the code I've always gotten on "bad" packs. I say "bad" because I've gotten them on fresh packs straight from a BBCE wrapped box too (that end up getting slabbed on the second attempt). But two tries is about all I can give a pack that's not really high dollar... the cost and wait time is very prohibitive for multiple tries.

Love this thread though... unopened packs (and threads of those packs) are my favorite, with rips coming in a close 2nd. Thanks for sharing your collection!

Originally posted by: LarkinCollector
    Odd they wouldn't use N4: Questionable Authenticity for those. Is N4 perhaps used when it's an obvious fake/resealed pack and N5 where it's likely good, but Steve can't be 100% certain?

Yeah there's a variety of reason some honest like a popped flap and probably some cases of down right attempts to fake a pack that receive an N4. I've gotten decent at inspecting packs but in every submission there's probably still atleast one pack that doesn't pass inspection.
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own an 89 Donruss rak w/Griffey Jr on top.
    mint_only_pls
    Saw a good deal so I doubled down on Bruce Sutter. I prefer cello packs but this is a tough project to complete so I will take a wax pack any day and for some HOF rookies I guess there aren't any cellos made.

Been a while but I got a submission back from PSA today and in it was this fairly rare gem:

Nice work, Ryan!

I just got this back from PSA (along with a PSA 9 78 cello with Molitor RC on top):

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭
    As for a Pedro Martinez, maybe 1991 Classic Best? Of course it is minor league card, but at least it is the same year as the Upper Deck rookie.

Great Yount Tim, I love how you can read the name so clearly it presents very well! Would like to see the Molly too I have way more of those I've collected. Here's my other Hall of Famer that came thru in this submission

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing mindblowing or anything.

Remember back when we had the 83T cello offering?

Well, I did get a Ryno on back.

Mike
    That's a keeper, Mike!

Also, with the looser cello wrap that Topps used in 1983, the corners should be very well protected.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice racks, KC! They look familiar, too.. image

Here is a pair of 1978 wax packs with Murray RC face out on back~one from Topps and one from OPC. I pulled the Topps pack from a 1978 wax tray that had a long tear in the cellophane. It looks better to me than a 5, and Murray appears to be very nicely centered behind the wrapper, so I graded it to stop me from ripping it, lol.. The 78 OPC pack was pulled from one of the 78 boxes that came out of the case we broke here on CU a number of years ago. That case was a beauty~it was before the advent of the FASC acronym so the boxes weren't labeled as such, but I sure wish we had another case of those to break. Still have one of the boxes here salted away for a rainy day. Lots of 9s and 10s from those boxes.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15
    Nice racks, KC! They look familiar, too.. image

They should look familiar image. Between my spree in AC and my wife redoing the kitchen and 4 bathrooms I figured I had to actually sell a few items which I hate to do. I would be happy if someone just tells me I have a nice rack - or two image

KC

Speaking about help from Tim and OPC packs here's one I've had for awhile and didn't put the scan up

Ryan, here is a pic of the 78 Molitor pack I mentioned earlier..