Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1968 Topps #177 Nolan Ryan/Jerry Koosman PSA 10 (1/0)

Well it was finally made. I would love to see this card.

if it were to sell...$75k-$100K image

Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Wow, so cool. I'd love to see a scan of that if anyone has it or know who is the lucky guy to get this grade?
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    MY OH MY
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well it was finally made. I would love to see this card.

Paul. >>

I actually think more than that. Only takes two rich guys - dmitri being out hurts though, eh?
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just in time for the nationals
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Finally, I need that card to finish my Jerry Koosman basic set in PSA 10. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well it was finally made. I would love to see this card.

Paul. >>

I actually think more than that. Only takes two rich guys - dmitri being out hurts though, eh? >>

I thought I remembered Dimitri saying in an interview that there were a couple cards out of the collection that he would be holding on to. I wonder if he'd have an urge to bid on this one despite having sold off most of the collection?

OK, Topps is set now; bring on the PSA 10 1968 #177 OPC...
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well it was finally made........... >>

Hopefully not literally, but you never know in this hobby.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    i can think of a certain Texas collector that is a huge fan of Ryans
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    Yowzers...
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many times that card has visited Newport Beach
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    wonder if it is a Milton Bradley mislabeled.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how many times that card has visited Newport Beach >>

Good question.

It is very possible that this this is the case. I recall reading Dmirti sent in one of his cards four times and it became a 10.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just in time for the nationals >>

How true...

Wasn't there a recent sale of a Ryan RC in a 9.5 holder??? As I recall, that was a real nice card and had a shot at a PSA 10. I want to say the reverse was o/c though.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>wonder if it is a Milton Bradley mislabeled. >>

Wow, can you imagine??? Anyone here know how to tell the difference between a Topps Ryan RC and a Milton Bradley Ryan RC?
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Would anyone be surprised if this card comes up for sale from 4SC?

Edit to add: I know I wouldn't!
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I was tracking the pop of this card for a bit. I believe it was indeed a bump from a 9. The pop of 9s decreased by 1 and then the 10 was listed in the pop report.

If it is indeed a worthy 10-- it will be one bloody auction.

But that said, assuming this was a review-- it just goes to show that there are great cards hiding in lesser holders... And I'd much rather be the one who buys that special 9 knowing it looks like a 10 (whether it one day gets its deserved bump or never does), than be the one who pays the 10-money after it has the label on it. Might be cheaper to look for that next amazing 9 and make the review an annual ritual.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Finally, I need that card to finish my Jerry Koosman basic set in PSA 10. image >>

Post of the week image
  • Options

<< <i>Would anyone be surprised if this card comes up for sale from 4SC?

Edit to add: I know I wouldn't! >>

I actually would be surprised........since it's going to Probstein
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Would anyone be surprised if this card comes up for sale from 4SC?

Edit to add: I know I wouldn't! >>

I actually would be surprised........since it's going to Probstein >>

Doubtful.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the vast majority of vintage, high $ 10s were once 9s.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

• Options
    Wow, amazing card. Thanks for posting it.
  • Options
    slight tilt...I will bet there are even better ones out there in "9" holders...
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>slight tilt...I will bet there are even better ones out there in "9" holders... >>

Good possibility.....
  • Options

<< <i>slight tilt...I will bet there are even better ones out there in "9" holders... >>

Thats what I was thinking. Its a nice looking card. Very clean, but something about its centering has me thrown off a bit and I think its the tilt you mention.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Looks like it slid in the holder- look at the upper right corner and you can see the card shifted away from the little lip in the slab.
  • Options
    Tilt was the first thing I noticed too before I even read some of the comments. Aside from that, it looks like it was pulled out of a pack today.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone here know how to tell the difference between a Topps Ryan RC and a Milton Bradley Ryan RC? >>

Why don't you tell us Stormtrooper!?!?! Oh...that's right...you don't know yourself!!! image
  • Options
    The card is tilted in the holder. I don't think the card itself has any tilt. Look at the open space under the bottom. Left to right it gets smaller. It's a tad crooked.

Gorgeous card!
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    It might just be me but if I had a 400,000 dollar card I would have it scanned right... Maybe its me?
    Yup another rattle card because the well is bigger than 2.5 x 3.5... just sayin good work...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    PSA 9

Strong price on this one.

• Options

<< <i>PSA 9

Strong price on this one. >>

Yep...but compared to the $400,000 for only one grade higher.....well...that is pathetic.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    The 10 looks better than I thought it would.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PSA 9

Strong price on this one. >>

Yep...but compared to the $400,000 for only one grade higher.....well...that is pathetic. >>

A few years ago the PSA 9 was trading in the 8k range. If I owned a copy I would be thrilled to see this price.

• Options
    Take that holder and just shake it as hard as you can and that should do it.
  • Options
    RaulsmasterRaulsmaster Posts: 663 ✭✭
    but smr says it's only worth 9500 image
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Here's a better scan

• Options

<< <i>Here's a better scan

image >>

Nice!!!
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    The grade is arguable. This racket at least removes wrinkles you may have missed or trimming or coloring and centering up and down, left and right and maybe even the same on the back! 8.5?

I was at the Cow Palace show and at the PSA booth this guy said he has sent in his card 20 times and finally got the grade he wanted.

So there you go.

I can't wait for the next PSA 8 Jack Baldschun slash repaired!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the 10 grade qualification allow for the 3 obvious printer(?) dots in the upper center blue sky area as well as the brown dot between the "S" of ROOKIES and the upper right corner/border? And to the left of Ryans cap a blue dot in the sky background and the black mark in the white horizontal bar below the "N" of Nolan. Also the middle white vertical bar halfway up has a light gray mark. Are there an allowed # of these printers marks/imperfections within a 10 designation? At that price I would view these as a neg. despite the assigned grade.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GEM-MT 10: Gem Mint
    A PSA Gem Mint 10 card is a virtually perfect card. Attributes include four perfectly sharp corners, sharp focus and full original gloss. A PSA Gem Mint 10 card must be free of staining of any kind, but an allowance may be made for a slight printing imperfection, if it doesn't impair the overall appeal of the card. The image must be centered on the card within a tolerance not to exceed approximately 55/45 to 60/40 percent on the front, and 75/25 percent on the reverse.

Per this official grade definition, I believe the card pictured clearly meets the criteria. IMO, whether one finds the printing imperfections undesirable or not becomes an issue of personal taste. But this specimen clearly lacks the horizontal tilt that plagues so many, has great centering, and very sharp corners. It is clearly superior to the PSA 9 that Memory Lane has up right now, and surpasses pretty much all of the PSA 9s viewable on VCP. So I can see reasoning that since it is better than these 9s, it should be a 10.

I have seen 10s that I would never put in my collection, because they might merit the grade technically, but lack the eye appeal I'd expect in a 10. This card is not one of those I'd pass on; I think the newer scan with it sitting flush in the holder does it proper justice. If I saw this card in a PSA 9 holder, I would pay a serious premium for it, and review it till the cows came home. Someone did just that, and beat me to it image

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PSA 10 Ryan/Koosman RC is in Goldin's upcoming auction. Bidding starts Monday, July 27th.

Steve

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thread resurrected after 6 years. I love seeing the old user names.

Daniel
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Thread resurrected after 6 years. I love seeing the old user names.

I’m still around too. B)

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Good time to sell and kudos to the seller. I have no idea re the final hammer price, but is this 500K, 1 million, or more?

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

close to a million

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew I should have purchased it six years ago when it was $75k. Who knew? 😂

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

i would think this one will reach 7 figures at auction.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

I love this thread bump. I miss this card.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont.