Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bought a pretty 'solid' T206 Honus Wagner

Solid silver... but hey, if I had $2 mill I wouldn't spend it on a card anyways. 8oz Silver bar from The Danbury Mint, kinda neat...

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool.

And, your Honus has intrinsic value - very nice!
    Mike
  • Options
    That is very nice, but didn't they have any Cobb or Hindu backs?image
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha, very cool and definitely "solid".
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    That's cool. Do they sell near spot price?
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it just me or does the top left border look trimmed? >>

Im with ya, its trimmed for sure!! Just kidding, awesome pickup, didnt know they made anything like that.
    Looks like I have something to google now!!
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool.

And, your Honus has intrinsic value - very nice! >>

True, I guess it's worth more melted than a melted PSA 5mc T206 Wagner!

I paid $300, considering a lot of the 1oz Silver Highland Mint etc. sports coins are going for $37-40 and this is 8oz I felt it was fair. I think the lowest one has sold for was $275 a little before the silver price explosion, highest I've seen $600.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool. Save your money and you can buy a gold Honus. image
  • Options

<< <i>That's pretty cool. Save your money and you can buy a gold Honus. image >>

Only $20k for a gram of gold LMAO!
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I paid $300, considering a lot of the 1oz Silver Highland Mint etc. sports coins are going for $37-40 and this is 8oz I felt it was fair. I think the lowest one has sold for was $275 a little before the silver price explosion, highest I've seen $600.

Where does it say 8 ounces? The box says it's a half pound of silver, so would that be a half pound on the troy or avoirdupois scale. Traditional gold and silver one ounce rounds weigh 1 troy ounce and there are 12 troy ounces in a troy pound. So if your Wagner weighs in at a half troy pound then you have the equivalent of 6 silver rounds worth of silver.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I paid $300, considering a lot of the 1oz Silver Highland Mint etc. sports coins are going for $37-40 and this is 8oz I felt it was fair. I think the lowest one has sold for was $275 a little before the silver price explosion, highest I've seen $600.

Where does it say 8 ounces? The box says it's a half pound of silver, so would that be a half pound on the troy or avoirdupois scale. Traditional gold and silver one ounce rounds weigh 1 troy ounce and there are 12 troy ounces in a troy pound. So if your Wagner weighs in at a half troy pound then you have the equivalent of 6 silver rounds worth of silver. >>

It's 6 troy ounces, according to here...
    http://www.selldanburymint.com/198586_item_danbury_mint_honus_wagner_piedmont_cigarettes_silver_baseball_card_ingot.html
  • Options
    Classic, yeah it's 8oz or a real 6 Troy ounces. I didn't even think of that and if you check all the completed auctions (there's quite a few) they all say 8oz. That said I'm still happy with the price and it's really shiny to look at. image

Ounce or Troy Ounce buyer needs to Know! Ebay inside Secret When bidding on Silver, Gold and other items listed by weight you have to know exactly what the weight is. If some one lists an item by weight and they say "ounces" is this troy ounce. If you assume it is troy you will come up short by about 9%. If you buy, sell, and trade gold, silver, platinum and other precious metals you need to know that they are traded in "troy ounces". The spot precious Metals Prices are based on TROY ounces. If you see an item made of silver or gold listed and they give the weight as ounces, be suspicious. It is an advantage to the seller that you will think that this is the amount of silver or gold that they have for sale. They boost the perceived value by 9% when they list it this way. If they list ounces and not Troy ounces just take the amount listed and multiply by .91. For example they state it is 8.9 ounces just take 8.9 x .91 = 8.099 t.oz

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Ounce-or-Troy-Ounce-buyer-needs-to-Know/10000000003431280/g.html
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I know this thread is old but wanted to know if anyone knows what the original mintage was, and when was it initally produced?
    Picked up one recently and it is 8 TROY oz's. Looks like that link to the Danbury Mint says 6. I hope they didn't undersell the weight when they distributed them lol
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Do they make one of those in chocolate? image Nice pickup.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As best as I can tell, it was produced by The Danbury Mint in 1998. The mintage seems to be 5,000.

Also, it appears to be 6 troy ounces of silver. A troy pound = 12 troy ounces. Since the only weight provided in the packaging is "half pound", that would be 6 troy ounces. The following image shows it weighing 8.05 troy ounces (ozt), but that includes the plastic case it is sealed in.

So, 6 troy ounces would be $120 worth of silver at $20 an ounce (silver price today is $16.20 per ounce).

Steve