Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: Not Exactly The Chris Sabo Collection But Heres My Jose Canseco Collection
Created On Sunday December 30, 2012 11:04 AM
Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]

Foo3112
Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 11:04 AM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

If you've been on these boards within the past few days, theres a sure bet you've already come across that amazing Chris Sabo collection. Well it inspired me to take photos of my Jose Canseco collection and share with you all out there. If not even a fraction of the Sabo collection but Ive gotten back into card collecting about a year and a half ago and I dove head first. Theres no denying that this hobby today is mostly about making money more than the pure enjoyment of just collecting the players you love regardless whether its there valuable rookie card or a card well into the final years of that players career but I still choose to collect my favorite players cards and most anything Canseco related for that matter. I did meet him back in 1989 at the peak of his career and let me say the line was so long, you would of thought Guns N Roses was giving away free autographs that day. I also had the pleasure of speaking to him on the phone quite a few times earlier this year and even had one conversation as long as about 30 min as he even agreed to do a personal signing for the members on this board which I then gathered everyone's cards who wanted to participate and I sent it to him and he came through and signed them and sent them back to us.

So here is my collection strictly for personal enjoyment.

Auto cards

This is a binder of my non doubles. They are currently displayed by year. Evereytime I get about 20-40 non doubles, I arrange and update them - I currently have about 689 of them. The ones in the binder have to be officially licensed cards.

Sealed rack packs with him showing on top. I also had 2 1986 Donruss sealed ones with him showing on top but he opened them up and signed them when all I wanted was for him to sign the wrapper. Ughh lol

Sealed cello's and packs with him showing on top.

All my doubles are then put into a penny sleeve and placed in these boxes. I have a sticker on each box indicating what years each box covers and then add the card in there. The order of the cards in the boxes matches the order of the cards in the binder so everything is easier to locate when needed. Each are are the 900 count boxes. With the penny sleeves, it makes it a little wider which means there's probably about 800-820 in each box.

Sports Illustrated Magazines

8x10's - 6 of them signed

Game used bat signed w/auto ball and a personal check signed from 1989

Phone Bill - Esther was his 1st wife. Fun Fact: Esther and Jose are both from Miami and before Esther met Jose, she worked at a store in Hialeah Fl where my dad was a manager - this was back in the mid 1980's and he ended up firing her. Then when I met him in 1989, my dad took me and just when were about to meet him, he hears a woman call out his name and he looks up and its Esther. Shes now sitting next to Jose Canseco and my dad says "What are you doing here" and she smiles and lifts up her wedding ring finger and smiles and my dad just starts laughing.

Signed cards

Graded and Signed PSA/DNA certified

Jersey/Relic/Bat Cards along with his Minor League card

His 2 only books which changed baseball forever

Unopened Starting Line Up figures. He has more but there are the only 2 I currently have (I'll upgrade to better packages eventually)

Misc Items

-------------------------
Always looking for Jose Canseco cards to add to my PC. Please PM me if you want to get rid of them.

Foo3112's Collection

Bottom

Albertdidit

Sunday December 30, 2012 11:13 AM

Nice thing to have doubles on a PSA10 donruss rookie

Bottom

llafoe
Master Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 11:25 AM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

Who's sexier... Conseco or Sabo?

Bottom

calaban7
Expert Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 11:32 AM

What's your favorite item ?

Of the Canseco cards , which is considered to be " THE " card ?

Lastly , any love for his brother Ozzie ?

None the less , nice collection and many thanks for posting ------ Sonny

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell

Bottom

BaltimoreYankee
Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 11:34 AM

Marc - Very nice! That's what the hobby is about - having a passion to collect what you like. I do think you need some representation from Jose's Yankee period though

Daniel

Bottom

Stone193
Choose Your Title

Sunday December 30, 2012 11:37 AM

Hiya Marc

Geez - that's impressive!

Are there any really "hard to find" cards/items?

I have his "Juiced" book - picked it up when released. Did you get him to sign yours?

I like your "approach" - about collecting what you enjoy - good words!

Mike

1963 Fleer PSA Set

Bottom

vettfanatic
Veteran

Sunday December 30, 2012 11:42 AM

Are there any cards that have Sabo and Canseco together?

Jeff

My registry sets

Bottom

ThoseBackPages
Expert Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 12:05 PM

Absolutely LOVE IT! incredible Focus!

the story with your Dad and his ex-wife is awesome!

ThoseBackPages' PSA Registry Sets. Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC Registry, Graded RC's, The Walking Dead Comics, and Magic: The Gathering.

Bottom

vladguerrero
Expert Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 12:07 PM

Awesome, love the packs!

Bottom

Foo3112
Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 12:26 PM

Albertdidit - I can thank fellow board member DPECK for that double. He sent me some cards about 4 months ago even mentioning that one may come back a 10 and from the 12 cards he sent me for no reason other than he knew I collected Canseco cards, I ended up submitting 4 of them and 2 came back 10's. One was a 1986 Donruss (which I already had one that I sent in and got a 10 myself just a month earlier, and the other which I didn't have but really wanted was his 1986 Fleer Rookie. So if your reading this David, thanks again.

llafoe - Sabo can be pretty sexy when those goggles come off. lol

calaban7 - Whats my favorite item? Hmm, that's a toughie. Let me pick out a few that stand out for me. The GU Bat, The 1991 Elite Card which is PSA/DNA Certified because Ive never seen another one of its kind signed and slabbed (and I personally sent that card to his doorstep and he sent it right back to mine) and the last thing that really sticks out for me is the check just because its a unique item that was signed by his first wife and its from 1989. Dude was the biggest Baseball star on the planet at that time. I do have his brothers auto on 2 things but they just happened to be included with a lot that I purchased about a year ago so I wasn't personally looking for them, they just came included.

BaltimoreYankee - I have cards from his brief stint with the Yankees in my binder along with a bat card pictured in one of the photos, however - not much stuff from that era seeing how he was only with them for about a year but at least he did get a ring out of it.

Stone193 - I also picked up his first book back in 2005 right when it came out. I think I read it in like 2 days. My book is unsigned. As far as hard to find items, ehh with Ebay, things have become pretty simple but Id say his later cards and with every company started making refractors and parallel cards in the last of of the 90's, there's just so many variations out there but I usually just wait till I see a huge lot on Ebay and take a gander at the pictures and if it looks like there's quite a few items/cards I don't have, then I usually will purchase but seeing how I have so much of his earlier stuff with the A's, Rangers and Redsox, I'm more interested in cards of his in his later years with the Yankees, Whitesox and Bluejays.

vettfanatic - No cards exist with Sabo and Canseco together. lol

ThoseBackPages - That story is completely - 100% true and I even retold it to Jose earlier this year on the phone and he let out this larger than life laugh when he heard it.

Always looking for Jose Canseco cards to add to my PC. Please PM me if you want to get rid of them.

Foo3112's Collection

Bottom

PeteZaria

Sunday December 30, 2012 12:31 PM

How about a Canseco/Sabo t-shirt?

This user has no signature.

Bottom

Dpeck100
Master Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 12:34 PM

That is some Jose Canseco collection!!!

People can say what they want about him but one thing is certain Jose has had the hottest women on earth.

I was partying in Tampa, FL in 2000 and was in the upstairs part of a nightclub and Jose had a 10 on his arm and every time she went to the restroom he was picking up more chicks. It was pretty awesome. He was kind enough to shake my hand at the bar.

Jose had some of the largest arms you will ever see. A total monster.

My site www.1982wrestlingallstars.com is under construction and I am buying additional content. I am looking for programs and magazines with the photos or advertisements for the cards.

Bottom

YogiBerraFan
Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 12:35 PM

Great collection. I love the autos

Bottom

Dpeck100
Master Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 12:44 PM

Foo after seeing your collection I am even more happy I sent you some cards!

They belong in the best Jose Canseco collection that exists. There is no topping your collection!!!

I am not sure if you have given it any thought but I think you should submit your collection to Becket and try and get in as a super collector.

You definitely qualify!!!

My site www.1982wrestlingallstars.com is under construction and I am buying additional content. I am looking for programs and magazines with the photos or advertisements for the cards.

Bottom

Foo3112
Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 12:57 PM

Thanks Dpeck ...however, there were 2 guaranteed collections that topped mine. One of them was even mentioned in Becketts super collector article in either the late 90's or the early 2000's. I have that issue somewhere it was REALLY sick. That collector recently sold his entire collection on ebay about 4 months ago and the guy who bought it was breaking it up trying to recoup the his funds (which I was keeping an eye on his sales and it looks like he may have done so to) and so that collection no longer exist but the other collection is actually from another member on here. Hes not an active member but his user name is 1st4040 and this guy is so hardcore that he even has his own website along with a checklist of all the cards he has and still needs and I don't hold a candle to this person.

Foo3112's Collection

Bottom

vladguerrero
Expert Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 2:51 PM

<< How about a Canseco/Sabo t-shirt? >>

Totally boss

Bottom

Dboneesq
Choose Your Title

Sunday December 30, 2012 3:03 PM

Marc ... what an AWESOME collection you have! That is what collecting is all about. You have such a passion and it shows. Wishing you the best of luck in obtaining others that you need.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

It was tough having to sell almost my entire collection of ~1,700 PSA graded cards from the 1910s - 1970's and my ~250 - 300 Graded Packs from the 50s, 60s and 70s. But when your daughter AND your wife are diagnosed with Cancer, sometimes you don't have a choice. One day I'll get some of them back!

Bottom

BPorter26
Expert Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 4:39 PM

Nice collection!!!! Those 1986 Donruss, Fleer and Topps brings back a lot of memories of my youth. Thanks for sharing.

Bobby's PSA Registry Sets

Currently Collecting
Pittsburgh Pirates

Bottom

onefasttalon
Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 5:27 PM

I love it! Nice collection Marc! We need more threads about hardcore player maniacs!
I know I have some Canseco stuff around here some place... I'll have to see what I have and get with you about it.

I too am not aware of any Sabo/Canseco cards... but now I'm curious and will have to look.

I do have this rare bird though... and NOPE, there's no trickery here:

I bought this from a guy here on the boards a while back... clearly, it's one of those rare Sportflics error with the wrong front & back. It's a Sabo card with a Canseco front and Canseco back.

Onefasttalon
Ebay: Onefastertalon
ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!
Check out my Chris Sabo Registries

Bottom

ClockworkAngel
Collector

Sunday December 30, 2012 6:03 PM

I truly mean no offense to this question, but I am curious about what it is about Jose Canseco that made you want to collect him?

Check out my collection
Text

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.