Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: 1987 Frank Thomas Pan Am Games
Created On Wednesday August 15, 2012 10:09 PM

mtcards
Expert Collector

Wednesday August 15, 2012 10:09 PM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

Does anyone have any information on this particular card? (The Blue Version) More precisely, the back printing. I bought a PSA graded 9 (MC) of this card last week and cannot for the life of me see any miscut except on the back, it appears to be offset printing. I figured that was it, until I have seen two others on ebay for sale, both of which have the same offset printing on the back. If that is the case and the actual grading is mislabeled, would it stand to reason that this would be a PSA 10 if there was not actually a miscut and all cards are printed that way?

-------------------------
IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday August 16, 2012 6:11 AM

Yes, and grading isn't consistent on these cards. The PSA 10 on James Jones' registry has the miscut back. I haven't pulled the right grader yet...I haven't gotten the MC denotation, but I never get a 10 on otherwise great cards.

Here's an uncut sheet, and I promise, if it were to be cut down to 50/50 on the front, the Thomas would still be MC.

Hoping to get a 10 on this one in the future:

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation." - James Madison

Edited: Thursday August 16, 2012 at 6:12 AM by BunchOBull

Bottom

mariotown
Veteran

Thursday August 16, 2012 7:01 AM

Why isn't it labeled "HAND CUT" on the flip?

Kevin

I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards. | My Cal Ripken, Jr. Blog | Sportlots.com - The Largest Online Trading Card Marketplace

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday August 16, 2012 7:01 AM

Because it's not handcut. The uncut sheet was never meant for distribution and wasn't released at the time of the sets production.

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation." - James Madison

Bottom

jmmiller777
Collector

Thursday August 16, 2012 7:44 AM

I thought handcut meant any cutting outside of the factory. So if they never released anything except sheets, then they must be handcut (based on my understanding). Educate me...
What is miscut? When kinds take scissors to a card and screw it all up (like many old Post and Kellogg cards)?

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
To be honest, no direction, but...
1966-69 Topps EX+
1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
All Topps Heritage-Master Sets

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday August 16, 2012 8:08 AM

<< I thought handcut meant any cutting outside of the factory. So if they never released anything except sheets, then they must be handcut (based on my understanding). Educate me...
What is miscut? When kinds take scissors to a card and screw it all up (like many old Post and Kellogg cards)?
>>

Yes, handcut suggests anything cut outside of the production facility. That's not the case with these cards. I simply posted the uncut sheet to affirm that the miscut on the reverse of these cards is standard because of the way the factory cut sheets were produced.

This uncut sheet is the only copy that I, and the Frank Thomas community, have ever seen. There is nothing to suggest there are vast numbers of these cards cut from a sheet; sheets just aren't known to the hobby because they weren't distributed in that form.

Miscut is when a factory cut card isn't cut to the proper specifications, leading to overhang of neighboring cards and the loss of part of the actual card. With these cards the last word in the player info, "ago" if I'm remember correctly off the top of my head, is cut down the center of the word.

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday August 16, 2012 8:11 AM

I should also add that the Frank is really the only card to suffer from this on the sheet, it's as if the reverse text wasn't aligned properly during the paste up process.

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday August 16, 2012 8:17 AM

I misremembered the actual miscut a bit, it's the word "ago," from the neighboring card, only the Frank and the card beside it are affected when the factory cut the sheets with 50/50 centering.

Bottom

mtcards
Expert Collector

Thursday August 16, 2012 11:58 AM

Yes, that is exactly the way mine looks on the back, yet it has the MC designation.

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday August 16, 2012 12:08 PM

Every copy I've had has included the miscut back, unless the front was severely OC, almost to the point of MC itself. It's small potatoes for PSA, so getting them to standardize how they grade these is going to be tough.

I'm going to send the uncut sheet into BGS for slabbing, along with the 3 other sheets that make up the set.

Bottom

mtcards
Expert Collector

Thursday August 16, 2012 5:51 PM

Do you think it would be worth sending the card in for a review or is it going to be a waste of time?

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday August 16, 2012 6:34 PM

I wouldn't move it until you give it a try, but really, we'll probably be better off if we send several in together for a review. The more examples they can look at side by side, the more likely they'll be to "get it."

Bottom

mtcards
Expert Collector

Friday August 17, 2012 10:14 AM

I would think that pointing out that the "10" on the registry has the same issue and that all issues have the same problem would at least put their attention to it. Especially if all the graded ones have that same problem. Besides, I dont understand the entire "miscut" issue....how can one side be miscut and not the other?

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Friday August 17, 2012 10:19 AM

<< I would think that pointing out that the "10" on the registry has the same issue and that all issues have the same problem would at least put their attention to it. Especially if all the graded ones have that same problem. Besides, I dont understand the entire "miscut" issue....how can one side be miscut and not the other? >>

You're exactly right, it shouldn't be considered as such unless there were multiple print runs, some of which had the proper alignment. I've seen nothing to suggest this is the case.

Bottom

FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.