Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

strange discoloration issue with 1994 Topps chrome type cards

Has anyone noticed this, or know why this is going on? See the pictures below for example. I've noticed that many 1994 chrome cards can be found with the greenish cloud on them. Did they come out of the pack in 1994 like this, or did this happen over time?

It almost looks like the cards were left out in the sun, but I know that this isn't the case. A few years ago I opened up a sealed 1994 Topps traded set, and the Topps Finest inserts had the green discoloration on them.

imageimage

imageimage
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I've had this issue with any number of 90s "chrome" issues.

I've chalked it up to Louisiana being exceptionally humid. No idea if that's accurate.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    I have noticed the same thing with some of my NASCAR chrome cards. Most of the chrome cards I have were purchased new in packs shortly after they were issued. The color then was fine, but now many of them are discolored and/or faded. I know it is not an environmental exposure issue as all of my cards have been in a controlled environment since they were pulled from packs. It may very well by a chemical reaction between the ink on the foil and the UV coating.

Logan
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>It may very well by a chemical reaction between the ink on the foil and the UV coating. >>

When did you first start noticing this? Like, how many years after the cards' release?

I notice this flaw going up to 1998, but not from 1999 on up. Hopefully the industry got a handle on things by then. Otherwise, we'll start to see this flaw creep on.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25