Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Picked Up--1995 Signature Rookies Miracle on Ice Autographs Near Set

Bought this yesterday.

In 1995, Signature Rookies made a commemorative set for the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team, known as the "Miracle on Ice" team. The cards were issued in 18-pack wax boxes, and each pack contained 1 autographed card hand-numbered to 2000. The complete autographed set has 2 cards each of the 20 players (each player has two poses), and 2 cards each of coach Herb Brooks and assistant coach Craig Patrick, for a total of 44 cards in a complete autographed set.

Someone came in yesterday with 3 "sets," which were only one of each of the two poses for a total of 22 cards, but he didn't have any Herb Brooks cards and he only had 1 Jim Craig. He said he wanted to keep 1 "set" to frame, so I bought 2 "sets" (1 full set) minus 2 Herb Brooks, 2 Jim Craig, 1 Craig Patrick, and 1 Frank Ramsey (one of the two Frank Ramseys I bought is an after-market autographed version, so it doesn't technically "count").

So, below is a "near set" of 38/44, missing 1 Frank Ramsey, 1 Craig Patrick, 2 Jim Craig, and 2 Herb Brooks.

Collecting Tony Conigliaro

Comments

• Options
    Beautiful set of the greatest sports story/event/tournament I ever saw.

At that time it was more then just a hockey tournament.

For those of us who followed it, (or saw the movie Miracle), there is no difference between Herb Brooks and George Washington.
    Both leaders came away with miraculous victories with limited talent/resources.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful cards - my first time seeing that set image

That second Schneider is a dynamite pose.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... very nice set. I wish you luck in obtaining the remaining cards you need.

1980 - What a year for Ken Morrow ... GOLD MEDAL and STANLEY CUP!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    The Herb Brooks auto (his specific card as opposed to the "celebration" card) has become a rather pricey card in the last few years. I remember when I started looking for one it was in the $40 range. Then it started selling for around $75. I finally got one last fall-- for $175. There is currently a buy-it-now on ebay asking $450 and a PSA 9 that may approach that.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Herb Brooks auto (his specific card as opposed to the "celebration" card) has become a rather pricey card in the last few years. I remember when I started looking for one it was in the $40 range. Then it started selling for around $75. I finally got one last fall-- for $175. There is currently a buy-it-now on ebay asking $450 and a PSA 9 that may approach that. >>

So I saw. The 2009 Beckett Annual still has it listed for $50. If only.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, That is a fantastic set.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON