Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: Picked Up--1995 Signature Rookies Miracle on Ice Autographs Near Set
Created On Friday July 20, 2012 1:59 PM

TonyC
Collector

Friday July 20, 2012 1:59 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

Bought this yesterday.

In 1995, Signature Rookies made a commemorative set for the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team, known as the "Miracle on Ice" team. The cards were issued in 18-pack wax boxes, and each pack contained 1 autographed card hand-numbered to 2000. The complete autographed set has 2 cards each of the 20 players (each player has two poses), and 2 cards each of coach Herb Brooks and assistant coach Craig Patrick, for a total of 44 cards in a complete autographed set.

Someone came in yesterday with 3 "sets," which were only one of each of the two poses for a total of 22 cards, but he didn't have any Herb Brooks cards and he only had 1 Jim Craig. He said he wanted to keep 1 "set" to frame, so I bought 2 "sets" (1 full set) minus 2 Herb Brooks, 2 Jim Craig, 1 Craig Patrick, and 1 Frank Ramsey (one of the two Frank Ramseys I bought is an after-market autographed version, so it doesn't technically "count").

So, below is a "near set" of 38/44, missing 1 Frank Ramsey, 1 Craig Patrick, 2 Jim Craig, and 2 Herb Brooks.

-------------------------
Collecting Tony Conigliaro

Edited: Friday July 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM by TonyC

Bottom

pmcollectour
Collector

Friday July 20, 2012 2:11 PM

Beautiful set of the greatest sports story/event/tournament I ever saw.

At that time it was more then just a hockey tournament.

For those of us who followed it, (or saw the movie Miracle), there is no difference between Herb Brooks and George Washington.
Both leaders came away with miraculous victories with limited talent/resources.

Bottom

Bosox1976
Master Collector

Friday July 20, 2012 2:18 PM

Beautiful cards - my first time seeing that set

That second Schneider is a dynamite pose.

Mike
Bosox1976

Bottom

Dboneesq
Choose Your Title

Friday July 20, 2012 2:30 PM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

Mike ... very nice set. I wish you luck in obtaining the remaining cards you need.

1980 - What a year for Ken Morrow ... GOLD MEDAL and STANLEY CUP!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

It was tough having to sell almost my entire collection of ~1,700 PSA graded cards from the 1910s - 1970's and my ~250 - 300 Graded Packs from the 50s, 60s and 70s. But when your daughter AND your wife are diagnosed with Cancer, sometimes you don't have a choice. One day I'll get some of them back!

Bottom

RedHeart54
Expert Collector

Saturday July 21, 2012 6:36 AM

The Herb Brooks auto (his specific card as opposed to the "celebration" card) has become a rather pricey card in the last few years. I remember when I started looking for one it was in the $40 range. Then it started selling for around $75. I finally got one last fall-- for $175. There is currently a buy-it-now on ebay asking $450 and a PSA 9 that may approach that.

Edited: Saturday July 21, 2012 at 6:37 AM by RedHeart54

Bottom

TonyC
Collector

Saturday July 21, 2012 7:02 AM

<< The Herb Brooks auto (his specific card as opposed to the "celebration" card) has become a rather pricey card in the last few years. I remember when I started looking for one it was in the $40 range. Then it started selling for around $75. I finally got one last fall-- for $175. There is currently a buy-it-now on ebay asking $450 and a PSA 9 that may approach that. >>

So I saw. The 2009 Beckett Annual still has it listed for $50. If only.

Collecting Tony Conigliaro

Bottom

BPorter26
Expert Collector

Saturday July 21, 2012 7:27 AM

Mike, That is a fantastic set.

Bobby's PSA Registry Sets

Currently Collecting
Pittsburgh Pirates

Bottom

FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.