Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I know this has been rehashed before, but how does 707 get the prices he gets?!?!

Almost $200 for a 1960 Mantle PSA 3!?!?!?!?!? Does he just prey on the uneducated??

1960 Topps Mantle PSA 3

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    If you wait forever you can get a good price.......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Both of the above are true, but IMO, its more of what Bobby said. The sellers running BIN museums seek the dumb money. Nothing WRONG about it, thats just what they choose to do.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I reckon.....you think with all the money he is making, he could buy himself a decent scanner......I guess that is asking too much......

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Shocking as it may seem, there are collectors where price is really not that important for whatever reason. I doubt his target market is the type that will spend valuable time looking for cheaper items. There are a ton of collectors whose opportunity cost for looking for better prices would exceed any dollar savings they would be able to realize elsewhere

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Glass houses... Not the Billy Joel album

Gripes of wrath... Not a Steinbeck novel

Woe is me... Not the band from Atlanta

• Options
    I hear ya Mike....but alot of his cards don't even seem to be high end for the grade. Most seem to be low end for the grade. He just happens to find collectors who don't mind overpaying and getting an inferior product to boot?? Just an observation....
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread marks the 50th thread about 707 auction prices!!! Bobby, you can choose a set of PSA steak knives or a special PSA set of coasters! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Bobby, you can choose a set of PSA steak knives or a special PSA set of coasters! >>

I would like the coasters please!! What an awesome gift!
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Don't listen to 'em Bobby..... Your complaints are spot on.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Must be the free shipping.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Think of it this way Bobby, he gets 190.00 for his, you get 80.00 for yours
    together they meet the VCP average of 135.00. See, all is really well in the universe.

Good for you.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    They seem to be coming down on there prices with some of there cards, heck I made a offer on one of there cards because it almost seemed reasonable but they declined it.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Patience...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I found out part of the reason why their prices are so high earlier this year. I purchased a $30 card from them.... and it was sent insured with signature confirmation! A $30 card!
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    If you want a certain card NOW and nobody else has it, he most likely does. His customer service is awesome. He ships the same day and he does negotiate if you send a check.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Glass houses... Not the Billy Joel album

Gripes of wrath... Not a Steinbeck novel

Woe is me... Not the band from Atlanta >>

Petty... not Richard.
  • Options

<< <i>Petty... not Richard >>

There's a sucker born every minute - PT Barnum
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Petty... not Richard >>

There's a sucker born every minute - PT Barnum >>

yeah. glad you and i missed that minute Bobby. imageimage
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Levi offers the best customer service on the planet and it comes at a cost, if you want that seek him out as he's the Nordstrom of the business. If you would rather shop price over service, that's what K-Mart is for.
  • Options

<< <i>Does he just prey on the uneducated?? >>

He runs a legitimate business selling baseball cards at retail prices. I don't understand why you seem to be suggesting that he is a swindler.
  • Options
    OP just can't get over him, and will forever be haunted trying to figure out how the fuzzlebuck he does it.

Greg Maddux ruled with an 82 mph fastball and hardly anyone could figure him out nither.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    His prices are designed to get him enough money to eventually buy a new hat
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>His prices are designed to get him enough money to eventually buy a new hat >>

So, that is it. Thanks Al!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    And enough money for his annual membership in the KISS army. Along with enough cash for concert tix to Poisen,Ratt,Cheap Trick,Skid Roe,Warrant,Great White,Winger, Slayer and Megadeath.
  • Options
    If someone wants to pay $5 for a loaf of bread, more power to them, and kudos to the shop owner for getting that much for his loaf of bread. Count me in the majority of the shoppers though, that realizes that a loaf of bread should cost around $1.50.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i> kudos to the shop owner for getting that much for his loaf of bread. >>

I find it hard to believe that ANYBODY on this board would prefer get less for their cards when selling them.

Dude, is getting top dollar and get ran down for it. LOL

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options

<< <i>Dude, is getting top dollar and get ran down for it. LOL >>

I never ran him down. Kudos to Levi! He is my role model. I am questioning the common sense of his customers however.....

<< <i>I find it hard to believe that ANYBODY on this board would prefer get less for their cards when selling them >>

I have been known to sell cards for less and so have others on this board. We could have easily sold them elsewhere for more money, but we sell them on here to help others out. Shoot, I recently sent several items out for FREE just because members wanted them. Can't get much cheaper than that!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    There are WAY dumber people roaming this planet. Walk around WalMart for an hour and you won't be so surprised about someone spending too much with 707.
  • Options
    *Megadeth
  • Options
    "New England Brown Bread" runs you about $3.69 even at a discount supermarket. Worth every damn penny.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    As has been pointed out before LOL is just 707 upside down
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>"New England Brown Bread" runs you about $3.69 even at a discount supermarket. Worth every damn penny. >>

they'd better have honey butter. image
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    There are two types of ebay buyers

(1) Those that buy what they want
    (2) Those that want something for less

There is no other. Generally, those in #2 are the ones that complain about shipping charges, expect a raw card to grade PSA 10 on every purchase, ask for refunds if it doesnt, etc etc.

There are two types of ebay sellers

(1) Those that wait and sell it for what they want
    (2) Those that sell it to the people in #2 above

There is no other. Generally, those in #2 are the ones that complain about ebay buyers, how the card market is crashing, etc etc

Just an observation....I have been in both categories at different times.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

<< <i>they'd better have honey butter. >>

I have it with honey and butter often. NEBB is grainy enough that there are many tasty nooks for the honey to find its way into.

Haven't tried it with honey butter, but it would doubtless be a killer combo. Once you put that in your shopping cart you're definitely over the $5.00 threshold though.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    It's these kinds of threads that make Boopots cry.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Where the hell can you buy a decent loaf of bread for a dollar fifty?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Sunbeam is quite good. At the local Food Lion and/or WalMart, it runs $1.50.....
  • Options
    I said decent, white flour filled with air is not decent, IMO.

And to take it a step further, are you implying that some pay 5.00 for sunbeam?

Good for you.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love me some fuzzlebuck.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    If there is a $5 loaf of bread, it's Steve's fault, and there should be a thread about it.

• Options

<< <i>There are two types of ebay buyers

(1) Those that buy what they want
    (2) Those that want something for less

There is no other. Generally, those in #2 are the ones that complain about shipping charges, expect a raw card to grade PSA 10 on every purchase, ask for refunds if it doesnt, etc etc.

There are two types of ebay sellers

(1) Those that wait and sell it for what they want
    (2) Those that sell it to the people in #2 above

There is no other. Generally, those in #2 are the ones that complain about ebay buyers, how the card market is crashing, etc etc

Just an observation....I have been in both categories at different times. >>

Truer words about sportscards buyers and sellers have never been said................

In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options
    Boy, a lot of wind running thru this post... and alot of washerwomen too!!!!!!
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I never ran him down. Kudos to Levi! He is my role model. I am questioning the common sense of his customers however.....

<< <i>I find it hard to believe that ANYBODY on this board would prefer get less for their cards when selling them >>

I have been known to sell cards for less and so have others on this board. We could have easily sold them elsewhere for more money, but we sell them on here to help others out. Shoot, I recently sent several items out for FREE just because members wanted them. Can't get much cheaper than that! >>

Bobby, I am just laughing about the normal " Oh My Gosh, 707 is making too much money thread."

No doubt you are a good dude with good intentions.

I just find it funny that getting top dollar is a bad thing.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's these kinds of threads that make Boopots cry. >>

"Ugh, you people wouldn't recognize sarcasm if it slapped you in your Google Stock... screw this, I'm going back to my yacht". - Boopotts

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I pay $5.49 a loaf out here for Dave's Killer Bread. I think it's a company in Oregon. No preservatives in that bread whatsoever. And worth every penny!
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    bread is bad.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>bread is bad. >>

Eventually.
  • Options

<< <i>

I have been known to sell cards for less and so have others on this board. We could have easily sold them elsewhere for more money, but we sell them on here to help others out. Shoot, I recently sent several items out for FREE just because members wanted them. Can't get much cheaper than that! >>

Selling cards isnt how you make a living though. Since 707 is a business, and the business is surviving, that model is a method that works for them. If it didnt, then we would be talking about 707 in the past tense.
    Go Army, Beat Navy!
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Levi has a bridal registry linked to his site, so wedding guests can shop with him. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With this thread and the one about PSA wait times on page 1, all we need is a thread about shipping charges on ebay and/or leaving positive feedback to complete the message board trifecta!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.