Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Great Debate Inside a Collectors Mind - Open to Comments from the Board Please

I am hoping that people will read this and provide insightful comments. I have been struggling with the topic of selling my collection. This is NOT the first time I have thought about doing such a thing.

I am mainly a golf collecting guy, maybe you have seen my 365 days of golf card posting. I also have been working on a 1970's PSA set (the year I was born) and have a few other holdouts in my collection as well from baseball and football cards.

My Collecting Story

I have been a card collector since I was a young kid. I remember packing those 77 and 78 topps cards into the Stride-Rite Shoebox surrounded with rubber bands.

I got a bit older, I started mowing yards, my money to spend on cards increased. I bought sets, I bought $9 complete unopened boxes of 83 Topps and 84 Donruss. I even picked off some old cards from the 50's and 60's and got a collection from an older relative. I had every Carl Yastrzemski card in existence.

I went off to college...my collecting days stopped. I bought a few shiny refractors once and awhile, but mainly the cards were locked away in my parents basement.

I got older, started a career. Met a girl...decided after dating a couple of years to marry that girl....sold all of my cards and bought her engagement ring and paid for my first Brand new car, a 1994 Toyota Camry and made a down payment on our first house.

Then after a short short while......The appeal of collecting came back...I always loved to golf....I started to collect vintage golf cards. I soaked up all of the knowledge I possibly could. I asked a LOT of questions. I researched on the internet, I bought from overseas auction houses. I talked to other dealers....collectors....read anything I could on the topic.

And after some years...I became very well versed in this area of the hobby, albeit a small area of the hobby.

This isn't the first time I have considered selling my entire collection

I moved with my job a couple of times, had a son.....decided the time was right to part with my collection.

At that time I had an agreement in place for a person to make a number of payments over a couple of years for the entire shootin' match. Every singe card I owned except one Bobby Jones card I wanted to hang onto for my son.

That deal never quite worked out....I got a partial payment and gave up the centerpiece set in my collection in return for the money that had been exchanged at that time.

The money from the deal went into the son's college education fund.

Then....my life really changed.....

I was diagnosed with Hodgkins, got rid of it, it came back again, got rid of it again.....collecting became more important to me again, it kept my mind off of other things, it was fun, it is what I enjoyed the best and I could be on the computer anywhere, in the hospital, at home, while going through a stem cell transplant...anywhere. It made me escape my problems and added normalcy to my life.

I continued to try and share my knowledge and I met many many many more people in person, and via email and phone than I ever would have from all over the globe.

I have scanned all of my cards, tried to educate anyone who will listen about golf cards, try to make the hobby a better hobby and get more people involved.

And now I am considering selling it all again...what do I do?

Now I am building a new home. This is the house my wife and I plan on being in for a long long time. It is our dream house.

The thoughts of selling the collection again enter my mind...I could do a LOT more with the house if I sold my entire collection. I could totally finish that walkout basement right out of the gate. I could add that gas fire pit in the backyard that I would want to have eventually anyway....and I am sure I could sock away some more money into the kids college fund.

I could always sell some stuff. Heck I have quite a few things to sell anyway. I picked up a nice raw 1970 Topps set...I could be happy with that and sell the PSA cards and my golf card extra's.... or..... I could sell all of it and I am quite sure I would be able to find new happy homes for my cards.

Would I miss the cards that much? I could eventually replace them all again at some point in time except maybe a couple that are exceedingly rare cards, and of course I have a few more that I likely would never get to have in my collection in that type of condition ever again.....but at the end of the day...does it really matter?

I guess this is a struggle that many collectors come to grips with at some point during their collecting life-cycle.

Your comments are welcome and appreciated. Regardless of what I decide to do...I have been grinding on this for a number of weeks.

Thanks for letting me have a sounding board here on the forums.

Dave

Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.

Comments

• Options
    Go B1G Red! Sometimes things are more important than collecting cards...often times other things are WAY more important. Unless the collection is a major source of your happiness, I recommend sell away and focus on life's other pleasures. Alex
  • Options
    Would a finished basement for you and your family bring you more enjoyment? If so then you know your answer.

Cardboard can always be re-bought, somethings can't.

Thats my two cents
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I have done what you are considering three or four times in my life. The money comes and goes from the sale. However, the hole/regret from selling a few pieces I really cared about bothers me a great deal even years later.

My suggestion is keep your collection. Learn from my stupid mistakes with my collection.

I'm really proud of you beating Hodgkins not once but twice.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments so far.....I do appreciate hearing from others.

I should make it clear I am not in a position where I HAVE to sell anything...just considering it - - - again -- - - ..and wondering if for the time being the money that WOULD be available from selling some or all of my collection could be better utilized in other aspects of my life......such as nicer house, college fund for my son...maybe a nice trip for the wife an I overseas...etc

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    When ever I am in the same situation I only sell as many 'things' for the amount
    of money I may need or want to divest myself of. Never have I sold
    everything, perhaps you may want to think along those lines.

Good luck in whatever you do decide.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Dave,

When it all comes down to it, you family is what should matter.

A few years back I gave up a few white whales in order to give my wife and kids a better living situation. At the time I really
    didn't have any other option. And I don't regret it for a moment.

The 1957 Topps Ted Williams in PSA 9 sold strong. The 1956 Mantle PSA 8 and 1955 Snider PSA 8 were a little weak, but
    the WIlliams more than made up for it. All but the Williams is reasonably easily replaced. However, the improved quality of
    life for my wife and kids was priceless. Looking back with 20:20 hindsight, if I needed to give up more it still would have
    been worth it.

So when it all comes down to what matters, invest in your family. You may not need to give up your whole collection, but if
    you can make something really special happen for them (and you) it is worth giving up some of it.

Best of luck with the decision

Dave
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Dave,

Very tough call indeed. i am of the belief that money is just that.
    Spent it all? no worries, you can go and earn some more.
    Collectables that one holds dearly that are not all that abundant? not so easy to replace if you want to sometime down the line.

To put it another way. there are some cards that simply do not exist in PSA 10. Those HUGE collectors that collect such things
    have millions of dollars to spend, but cant buy what does not exist.

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Health and family comes first. If you need to raise cash, sell what you can replace in the future, hang on to your gems. Some items are more easily replaced than others. Not sure if you remember, but you helped arrange a deal involving 62 Post FB for me. I hope I can return the favor now with some good advice.
  • Options
    You have overcome some serious obstacles in your life. Good for you. Just typing about and asking opinions means you are interested. It doesn't have to be a black and white situation.

Pick one or two things, come up with how much it will cost and sell only some of your collection. You'll be satisfied that you used some of your collection for your family, and also because you still have a collection. It doesn't have to be all or nothing unless someone is in financial duress, which it sounds like your not.

Good luck, and I love your thread by the way.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I think most of the debates we have in our own mind and in black and white, however life is generally shades of grey. If you don't NEED to sell, then it doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I've always looked at my collection as something that brings me joy and peace but also as a combination rainy day fund, maybe put an addition on the house fund or college fund. If and when the day comes that I need one of those things more than cards and I don't have the money for them, I will start selling, in stages.

Good luck in whatever path you choose and hopefully you can find balance.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    What is more important: Cards or family? I think you know the answer. Many cards are pop one. But you can always find another family.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Collecting cards must be like a drug or alcohol addiction (not that I have either) but the temptation never seems to go away, I've bought and sold so many time and tried to quit, sometimes for years at a time but if someone shows me something "stupid", i'm a sucker all over again! I think it keeps the kid in me
  • Options
    food for thought: more money is spent on Gardening as a hobby than all other hobbies combined, look it up,,, other than an "on the side of the road" fruit stand, try selling your garden items when you need the money. and if you do sell one or several items your garden will probably look like $hit with all the holes.

if you need the money sell it all then start collecting lower dollar cards to fill the holes left behind destroying years of satisfaction, you will get more use out of the home though.

if dec 21, 2012 is the last days of earth as we know it, it wont matter anyway,, hadda throw that in,, lololololololol
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Dave,

MOST IMPORTANTLY, I pray that you stay Cancer Free FOREVER!

I guess my signature line will tell you what I did, but my situation was a bit different. HOWEVER, I will tell you that after having to sell a VERY NICE collection, I found these boards. Although my collection now stands at less than 1/10th of what it used to be, I am enjoying "our hobby" just as much. I figured out that I could stay just as involved at a MUCH LOWER cost by starting to send out TTMs. This kept me very much "involved" in the hobby and having a place like these boards to talk about cards helps keep me involved as well.

I don't think you need to sell everything if you still get enjoyment out of your collection. I would sell what you need to finish off the new house the way you guys want. Probably even sell to go on that "beautiful" vacation with your wife. However, as long as you do not need to pay for college yet, hold on to those other cards. Keep the ones you like the best. You could always sell them in the future to pay for college when that time comes.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Keep us informed and stay active on the boards even if you do sell the majority of your collection.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>if dec 21, 2012 is the last days of earth as we know it, it wont matter anyway,, hadda throw that in,, lololololololol >>

John ... guess you did not read about the recent "update". Archeologists have now said that writings were "misinterpreted" and they were off by a couple thousand years!!! (Saw that on the news last week.)

What is more important: Cards or family? I think you know the answer. Many cards are pop one. But you can always find another family.
    THIS made me laugh like hell! Very good!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Dave -

It sounds to me like despite some setbacks you've done very well in life. As we found with the real estate market, nothing goes up forever. I'm on the side that says sell the cards and make the house the best it can be - as you say, your dream home.

Some of us, like me, will never have that chance. I've never had to fight for my life like you have, but seem to have managed to take a lot of wrong turns in life. I'm now in a situation where I'm going to have to sell a large chunk of my collection just to pay taxes, I'll have nothing to show for it. You have a chance to turn something tangible into something more tangible.

Cards can always be re-bought, besides isn't the thrill of the chase what it's all about?

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    health and family first. no tough call there.

but, if you don't have an absolute need to divest yourself of everything, then don't......if that house is of greater importance and deserves your complete attention, then by all means........SELL.

most of your stuff can be replaced at some point. choose to keep items which are most important to you if it doesn't detract from your ability to focus on the responsibility of your new home.

about 15 years ago, i cashed out on a bunch of stuff, much to the delight of my family, the broker, the bank and the mortgage company.

a lot of my favorite cards have since been replaced or even upgraded. a couple of 'em even came from you, Dave. image

and a +1 for PowderedH2O's comment. i can't argue with that. image
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments so far...it has been good to bounce this off of people here that "get it" and I am realizing what I already expected, that a lot more people have experienced the same thing or at least had it cross their mind at one or more times in their collecting life cycle.

Yeah, the Pop 1 comment had me laughing out loud at work.....that was freaking hilarious!

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    My two cents: There will always be other cards and unless you get cloned...well, you know the rest. Easy choice in my opinion.
  • Options
    Tough decision and good luck with it, only you know the right call.

IMO I would say sell everything but the few impossible to replace cards since you do not have to sell and still enjoy collecting. You can always buy the other stuff back in the future. If you had to have the money then that's a better reason to sell everything. Also you seem to have the collector gene and my bet is you will be back so plan on it, keep any card you might regret selling down the line.

Good luck!
  • Options
    RudedawgRudedawg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Agree with keeping some more rare/personal meaning examples and selling replaceable cards. You've sold and come back before, so this will avoid "regrets" later on. I'm struggling with the same decision right now and this is how I'm looking at doing it. I've got a few sets that mean a lot to me and are hard to get, I can always buy back others.

Also agree with who said "it's about the chase" and this will be true if you sell and come back again.

Best of luck with whatever you do!!!!
    Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
  • Options
    I do have a little insight into your query. For me, it was non-Hodgkin's. Made me re-think the entire picture - family, career, collections. They all play a part in your well being. There is a pecking order but one should never totally consume the others. Having said this I believe it's time to re-focus on the top 2 or 3 things of your collection that truly bring the most pleasure and let the rest go. Hopefully that will allow you to accomplish the things you want to do for your family and still allow you to enjoy the hobby that has been a part of you for all these years. Best wishes Dave. Whatever you decide it will be the right decision.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Follow your heart,do what you have to do without regrets.I sold much of my collection for no reason except to buy other cards and now instead of owning a nice collection with some cards dating back to 1933 .I now only own a few quality sets and a bunch of hodge podge.Do I have regrets LLEH YES!!!!
    If I had to sell my collection because of financial issues as illness,no job,or to help a family member etc the cards would be sold without regret.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the comments here on the board.

The notes and advice have made me realize what I already knew...there are a lot of great people here.

You can rest assured that even if I sell all or some of my collection, i will still be active on here and will still hopefully be a person that people will contact about golf cards....I don't think that even selling cards off would make me walk away cold-turkey.