Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What To Do With Fake Cards That Got Past PSA and Were Encapsulated

Here's the story:
Looks like someone got some fake 1989 Winner's Circle cards past the PSA graders. So they are legit PSA numbers in legit holders. I contacted the seller a few months ago and pointed out the difference to prove they were fake. He continued to list the cards and then stopped. It looks like he is back and I am afraid that someone will buy them. I contacted Joe a few months ago at PSA and sent him the information he requested.

This is one set that I am an expert on. Not trying to bash PSA but what have others done when something like this happens. I want to protect the PSA brand!

The fake is easy to spot due to the white areas losing all images in it.

Real One: (Notice faint images behind in background)

FAKE ONE (All white background)
imageEbay Auction Link

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    PSA will need to agree that they made a mistake first.

Ask Joe what he'll do about it.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Real
    imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    FAKE
  • Options
    REAL REAL BELOW
    imageimage
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Your observations are correct on which Winners Circle are real and fake. We need to build a case to present to PSA for proof. We need to try to find some time to sit down with Joe at the National.
  • Options
    I agree I will bring some samples for Joe.
    The set is listed again. The good news is no one has fallen for this auction, Yet.

Fake 1989 Winners Circle Cards IN PSA holders
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree I will bring some samples for Joe.
    The set is listed again. The good news is no one has fallen for this auction, Yet.

Fake 1989 Winners Circle Cards IN PSA holders >>

If proven to be fake, then PSA should purchase the set on the open market and destroy the cards. SGC does this when someone proves to them that they've encapsulated something not authentic. There is a thread about this on net54.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    I agree with PSA purchasing them. I sent some scans to Joe and contacted the seller.

The Seller knows they are fake. I contacted them first hoping they would reach out to PSA for a solution.

After they were relisted a few times I contacted Joe and sent him some scans. I was at least hoping PSA would kill the certs.

I know PSA is in a tuff spot on these and all I want to do is keep the integrity of PSA and this set. I hope I have shown enough proof on this thread.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    those cards above seem so obvious, most if not all of the fakes are heavily cropped... not hard

Highly doubt they (PSA) will buy them back, there are a few obviously fake 1928 F52-1 Fro-Joy Ruth cards in PSA slabs floating around and they dont seem to care one bit.... I see them a few times a years still, even though PSA gave up years ago on trying to gain knowledge and actually correctly authenticate these cards. It seems when pressed with actually doing their most important job (authenticate) they choose on some sets/cards to not grade any of them now.... ie D305, W571, F52-1, football exhibits, etc.

Isnt that their job and what you guys pay them to do? (I dont use/endorse PSA, just their board image)

Blue tint = 100% fake (not hard)
    the authentic cards are B&W
  • Options
    waverleewaverlee Posts: 104
    maybe they're both real fkw. psa doesnt grade fake cards
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    How do you know they are fakes and not simply a second lower quality printing back then due to short supply? While the picture is obviously less detailed, the rest of the front looks very consistent in quality of print. It's a low value set with insignificant demand so why would a scammer even bother with reprinting them. Completed auctions show under a buck for most of them so what would be the point.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>While the picture is obviously less detailed, the rest of the front looks very consistent in quality of print. >>

The supposed fakes are cropped differently. On the real card, Lee Petty's helmet isn't touching the diagonal line. It is touching on the fake one. The same goes for the Tom Pistone card.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    But who says the different ones are fakes. Leaf cards from 1948/49 come with all different colors and cropping. Green tints from 1962 come with different photo quality and cropping. Is there any proof that the different cards are in fact counterfeit and not simply a hastily done up cheaper second printing of cards only needed for a give away. Just because the cards are different doesn't mean one is an unauthorized counterfeited issue.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But who says the different ones are fakes. Leaf cards from 1948/49 come with all different colors and cropping. Green tints from 1962 come with different photo quality and cropping. Is there any proof that the different cards are in fact counterfeit and not simply a hastily done up cheaper second printing of cards only needed for a give away. Just because the cards are different doesn't mean one is an unauthorized counterfeited issue. >>

I agree that it doesn't mean they're fake. I just think it increases the chances.
  • Options
    If we are taking about the 1989 Winners Circle cards they are fake and not another print run. The set price reached $1800 for the 45 cards in 1990-1992. Beckett also has in the guide that there are fakes.

The area above the name is larger than the originals and encroach on the photo. If you look under a loupe at the white areas on the fakes there are NO print dots. There are print dots on the real ones. The red borders are a different color.

I have quite a few of these with the original printer boxes. The posters that were made and given out match the real ones. If you watch the episode of American Pickers where they pick for the NASCAR HOF. The part where they are with Billy Biscoe look on the wall he has a poster and the banner. He gave them away at the tracks back in 1989.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Forgive my ignorance but are cards from 1989 really worth it to fake? What do these things sell for in graded condition
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Forgive my ignorance but are cards from 1989 really worth it to fake? What do these things sell for in graded condition >>

I doubt that the fakers made these cards recently. They were probably produced years ago when it WAS worth it.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Please stay away from this auction.

Relisted again on ebay!