Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The card market has to be strong, LQQK at this Jerry Rice PSA 10 Rookie, WOW!

This card's VCP is just over $2,300. I know they don't come up very often as there where only 2 sold back in 2010 according to the tracking.

This thing is over $3,000 with a day plus to go.. Market seems strong...

1986 Topps Jerry Rice PSA 10
Miconelegacy Auctions
"Live everyday, don't throw it away"

Comments

• Agreed, I'm seeing some of the cheaper cards that own, go much higher than their historical prices. Example: 1981 Topps Schmidt PSA 10 went for $140 this week.
    I'm starting to think that it's due to the limited number of true auctions on EBAY. Collector's are starved for items to bid on and the $$$ are burning a hole in their
    pockets.

My 2 cents
  • Seller has ebay inactivity the past six months. Now all these killer auctions, with no real history of high priced items.
  • I did see that, maybe personal collection? I dunno, even so the prices seem inflated a bit..
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • It's hard to believe a 1986 topps card could be worth $3,000 by 2010 or 2012.

I remember when psa 10 griffey rookies use to be worth $1,000, or Sammy Sosa, Frank Thomas. Rice seems to be one of the few modern cards that's stood up well.

Haven't the marino and elway rookies declined?

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    46 PSA 10's out of 13,711

This is a very tough card to pull.

Does anyone know when the last one sold? If it has been a while that explains everything. If you have been looking for a card for a while sometimes budgets get thrown out of the window.

I think there is evidence for sure that the card market is strong for rare cards.
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's hard to believe a 1986 topps card could be worth $3,000 by 2010 or 2012.

I remember when psa 10 griffey rookies use to be worth $1,000, or Sammy Sosa, Frank Thomas. Rice seems to be one of the few modern cards that's stood up well.

Haven't the marino and elway rookies declined? >>

Beckett-wise, Marino and Elway used to be somewhere in the $60-$80 range I believe. Now, they are only at $40, and they are rather tough sells.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Agreed, I'm seeing some of the cheaper cards that own, go much higher than their historical prices. Example: 1981 Topps Schmidt PSA 10 went for $140 this week.
    I'm starting to think that it's due to the limited number of true auctions on EBAY. Collector's are starved for items to bid on and the $$$ are burning a hole in their
    pockets.

My 2 cents >>

-I have lost count the amount of times that I have had a card listed in a BIN/OBO collecting dust with no offers then put it up for auction and it reaches well above what I would have accepted or even the BIN price.
  • I have to agree with the above... I don't bother with BIN's that much anymore typically just throw everything at .99 cent auctions... I won't advertise but I've got a $650~ case of something on the bay and started it at $.99
  • The Rice is a tough card, right outta the pack
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    This card is tough in 9 and above. I pulled one out of a rack pack and it just came back PSA 8. Razor sharp but a little too off center to garner a higher grade....

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • I am not speaking directly to the Rice but, I have noticed about a 10-15% increase in higher end PSA/BGS/SGC 9-10 Baseball and Football modern HOFer's during the last month and a half. I track myself, I don't use the VCP, but the prices have spiked a bit on the moderns 70's through today. So i've unfortunately been taking a backseat after a decent purchase run...

• << <i>I am not speaking directly to the Rice but, I have noticed about a 10-15% increase in higher end PSA/BGS/SGC 9-10 Baseball and Football modern HOFer's during the last month and a half. I track myself, I don't use the VCP, but the prices have spiked a bit on the moderns 70's through today. So i've unfortunately been taking a backseat after a decent purchase run... >>

agreed.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>Seller has ebay inactivity the past six months. Now all these killer auctions, with no real history of high priced items. >>

Maybe they were in jail for 6-9 months. You never know.
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Possible explanation for jump in prices of high-grade modern rookies:

The "kids" who followed the 1980s rookies who are now HOFers have now come of age and have paying jobs, so they are looking back to their childhood to repurchase these cards? And since the raw cards are common, they want the high-grade examples? Maybe?
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • I'll be 35 this year, but had some previous employees in their low to mid 20's. They knew I dabbled in cards, and also know now I'm a lot heavier into them now.

So I hear the other day a couple of these guys started buying blaster boxes at Target, and even made a trip to the local cards shop. You may just be right. There may be hope yet for cards to carry on to the next generation.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    Tony I think your point is accurate on the lower end of the market but not on the high end like this. If someone was just getting back into the hobby in their 30's I think they would start with a PSA 8 or PSA 9 of a card like this before spending this much.

I think cards like this do not come up much and there is pent up demand for this card. The other big issue is many have been diversifying their investment dollars into hard assets and rare trading cards would fall into that category.

• a kobe metal common rc for what!!!!,, man i have a few of them around here somewhere,, wow
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • zero feedback, hasnt sold in a year,, still getting good money,,, hmmmm
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Kobe's cards are following the Jordan craze of mid 90's and up. Short Prints, Refractors, serial numbered etc. Stuff is going crazy!!!?!?!?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • There are so few "good" auctions now that bidding has increased when they do come up. I'm happy with my vintage/Mantle collection for now as they just seem to be
    changing hands. Instead, I've started buying up 77-86 PSA 10's and have definitely noticed significant pickup for the marquee players (Schmidt,Brett,Ryan,Henderson).
    1982 and 84 seem to particularly competitive. Personally, if I can pick up an early 80's PSA 10 Schmidt, Brett, or Ryan, I know I have a good long term investment.
    I've even started cherry picking from 4SC's website.

Does anybody have a money tree for sale, to support for habit ??
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    not surprised this is going real high, BUT this is already a POP 46 card with a ton of unopened '86 still out there...
  • ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    It's possible it could follow the 84 Topps Marino and Elway PSA 10 sales high but as someone already stateed, eighty six is tough out of the pack. You can find PSA 8's all day, it's the 9's and 10's that are tough.
  • TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496

<< <i>Beckett-wise, Marino and Elway used to be somewhere in the $60-$80 range I believe. Now, they are only at $40, and they are rather tough sells. >>

How much are PSA 10's of the Marino and Elway? I remember the Montana rc, Rice and Elway and Marino were about the same price at one point. Between $2,500 and $3,000 each.
  • Look at the top 2 bidders for that Rice auction, both bidders have not been on ANYTHING else in the last 30 days.
    100% of their bids have been with this seller.

Shill Bidding ??
    It is pretty amazing the market awards a 30 fold multiplier on a card that has a good supply of both PSA 9's and 10's. That said the strength coming out of 80's football has been amazing.

When this thread started the VCP was $2,300 on a Jerry Rice PSA 10. Pretty awesome move higher and congrats to anyone who has owned one.

Jerry Rice PSA 9

pt=US_Football&hash=item20f426210e">Jerry Rice PSA 10

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10K for an 86 Rice that is pop 46, doesn't seem very rational. Most of the 46 must be buried pretty deep in collections, imagine this auction will shake some inventory loose!
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    gawd awful upper left miscut on that Rice 9. ugh.
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>gawd awful upper left miscut on that Rice 9. ugh. >>

That plus the bottom right corner and pink PD in the name would bug me. That card is an 8.

Definitely not a 10k card.

Justin

• DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Miscut. So that's what we're calling it these days.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    RIP Mike. Still hard to believe he's gone.

• << <i>10K for an 86 Rice that is pop 46, doesn't seem very rational. Most of the 46 must be buried pretty deep in collections, imagine this auction will shake some inventory loose! >>

+1

• << <i>RIP Mike. Still hard to believe he's gone. >>

Amen Dan.

stung a little to see this thread at the top of the page. i miss that man, and so does this hobby.
  • After reading through the posts on this topic, I was curious so just checked pop report to compare Rice PSA 10 now to the where it was almost 3 years ago when this topic was first discussed here. POP for Rice PSA 10 was sitting at 46 in 2012. Now POP has only grown by 3 to sit at 49 out of 15,646 graded. Rice appears to be a solid $11k card based on last 3-4 auctions as well as current one on PWCC. The comments made by D Peck and others in 2012 regarding football spiking were spot on....love reading the old threads and revisiting a few years later....Al

<< <i>

Miscut. So that's what we're calling it these days. >>

no. that's what i'm calling the Jerry Rice PSA 9 rookie card posted here. it IS miscut. that's why my other post said so.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    At least we know that the bidding is legitimate in the Rice 10 and Montana 10 auctions.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • The price of the rice Psa 10 is a bubble. I don't see this card remaining at $10k in a few years. Watch when the economy goes down and stock market drops this rice Psa 10 rookie will drop down to the $5k area.
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a truism, to note that as the stock market and overall economy goes down, prices of some cards possibly will, too. It seems this is a cycle on the boards: prices rise, and then dire economic prognostications enter the discussion, positing how when the NEXT downturn hits, all these happy collectors who own nice cards will rue their purchases. And then a lot of times the thread devolves into a CNN Money chatroom, and the cards have been utterly lost. This is just a recurring pattern I have noticed over the years. I do believe genuine rising values are great for the hobby we all enjoy.

End of the day, no one can predict anything, especially longterm. Any card could sell today for X. In a year it could sell for half X. Four years later it could sell for 4X. The economy could tank and a card owner doesn't at all have to sell his cards. Who knows what the future holds?

I think it's far more fruitful and germane, when discussing 10s, to evaluate whether a given 10 truly merits the grade, so as to help a prospective fellow collector avoid buying the sticker when the card doesn't match. Though often another buyer out there can bail out such a mistake, still it's safer for those who like 10s to buy deserving specimens. Other relevant issues are that TPGs clearly don't want to dilute their high-end products by too freely assigning the grade; this means there are 9s out there that could and should be 10s on the right day. Those are great alternatives for anyone who wants a beautiful card on a lighter budget. Then, as some have intimated, one must also be wary of shenanigans; I learned the Montana 10, for example, was being hoarded for quite some time, and with such a relatively thinly traded condition rarity, there is great temptation for price manipulation/fake sales. All things to consider and factor in, within reason.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

Why is it okay to say a card will go up and not down?

When you go past $500 or $1,000 or some higher number the card becomes a financial asset. Not just a piece of cardboard.

There is constant pumping of all types of cards on the boards and if someone wants to take an opposing view I see nothing wrong with that.

• ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The price of the rice Psa 10 is a bubble. I don't see this card remaining at $10k in a few years. Watch when the economy goes down and stock market drops this rice Psa 10 rookie will drop down to the $5k area. >>

I respectfully predict your prediction will be wrong.

In a few years I'll forget we ever had this discussion and Dpeck will remember to bump this thread.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The price of the rice Psa 10 is a bubble. I don't see this card remaining at $10k in a few years. Watch when the economy goes down and stock market drops this rice Psa 10 rookie will drop down to the $5k area. >>

In a few years I'll forget we ever had this discussion and Dpeck will remember to bump this thread. >>

Dpeck is the master of the bumped thread as he has enlightened me many times. I just wonder how he remembers or if he has a file system he uses or if he is part elephant.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

• << <i>

In a few years I'll forget we ever had this discussion and Dpeck will remember to bump this thread. >>

Sounds like you own this card. If so you best hope your prediction is right.
    lol. yeah that dude has cards. image

• << <i>lol. yeah that dude has cards. image >>

Does this dude have cards like Ken Kendrick and Marshall Fogel? Now those dudes have cards LOL.
  • royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I only clicked on this thread because it had two capital Qs in the title.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Elephants are supposed to have a great memory.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sounds like you own this card. If so you best hope your prediction is right. >>

Probably just another guy that owns a couple 8's and thinks pumping a 10 will make him a few bucks.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Probably just another guy that owns a couple 8's and thinks pumping a 10 will make him a few bucks. >>

Your kidding right? Ergo could care less about owning a couple of 8s and making a few dollars......If he wants a 10 he can get one if he doesn't have a 10 already.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Probably just another guy that owns a couple 8's and thinks pumping a 10 will make him a few bucks. >>

+1

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Your kidding right? Ergo could care less about owning a couple of 8s and making a few dollars......If he wants a 10 he can get one if he doesn't have a 10 already. >>

Does he have a collection like ken Kendrick, Marshall Fogel or Thomas Tull? Now those guys have collections LOL.