Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

52' Mantle?

There is a 52 Topps psa 5 Mantle currently on eBay. The seller has no previous feedback on high end cards. Does everything look legit on this card? What is the value of this card?

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    My bad. The first one you have listed that is by the seller fishh8me is the one i am referring to. Also, does anybody have the history on this card? Is it listed in VCP?
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    It might be my eyes but...that case looks a bit frosty.

also, no sales history...I wouldn't buy it from that seller.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    I can say the case is fine...

My determination (without actually asking the seller for a picture with my name held in it)...

is not legit.

My reasoning:

Their feedback is extremely sporadic; however, the most recent two are for a $400 and $800 item, and are 10+ months old. They do have a few $1k~ items they did get positive feedback for, but simply because they haven't sold in almost a year and when they do they list a $15k item? Just doesn't happen that way.
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The seller's showing two front pictures but the cards inside the same cert holders are the two different variations of the card.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-Mickey-Mantle-PSA-5-/170765911732
  • Options
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I don't see a problem with the fishh8me case. Where's the frosting? Also the two front pix appear to be the same variation, don't they?

It could be the angle at which the pic was taken, but in the angled pic it does appear that the centering does not match up with the dead-on first shot.
  • Options
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    After he sells that it will be more than just fish hating him.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    examine both front scans VERY closely.

the box containing Mantle's name and facsimile sig appears clean and concise in the first image.

in the second image there appears to be a line of yellow bleed beneath the box.

also, the bar codes line for both front images do not appear to match up.

i'm siding with Kb on this one.

edit to add: second image PSA flip appears to be homemade, IMO.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Hey, Archaninator,

First off, I noted the centering issue.

Secondly, the two "variations" of the Mickey Mantle card have nothing to do with centering. They have to do with the following details:

1. Top border black lines making a 'T', versus being flush.
    2. Arrows on baseball on back of the card.
    3. Chewed appearance of the stars atop the name box.
    4. Missing color pixel in blue background.
    5. Yankees logo box not having a filled in black line on bottom.
    6. Alignment of letters atop the back of card.

In these respects, which are the ones that determine the two variations, the scans offered do seem to be the same variation.

No need to start calling people "fools." We are just questioning the card offered. I sleep well knowing the one I own is legit.

Itzagoner,

Great catch on the yellow bleed on the name box. That's an issue to raise for sure.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    If you are seriously interested ask him to email you some higher res pix. Those from the listing aren't sharp enough to blow up to know for sure
    if the 2 front images are the same card or not. There are certainly some yellow "flags" (centering difference, apparent difference in the name box, etc.)

For a high end card like this he shouleasily be able to send you head-on front, head-on rear and then 45 degree angle of each side of the case
    from both front and rear. Unless of course he is trying to hide something.

Dave
  • Options
    gee Dave, ya think? hiding something? image

if the seller is able to provide a clean front image scan and then backs it up with a couple lousy ones instead of a similar clean reverse scan and maybe a few of the corners, edges, Mick's earlobe.....

well, you get my drift.

i'm out just by clicking on the auction and viewing for 1/2 a second. image
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff,

I wouldn't be chasing a high-end card on like this on Ebay from anyone but a well recognized seller (e.g. PWCC, Rick P, dslsport, 707, MLI, etc.).
    I'd also be tracking the flip number back through historical sales of the major auction houses, looking to see where the item had moved through.

This one in particular strikes me as suspicious but before I condemn the seller I think its fair to give him/her a chance to further hang themselves.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>My bad. The first one you have listed that is by the seller fishh8me is the one i am referring to. Also, does anybody have the history on this card? Is it listed in VCP? >>

VCP history on this cert #:
    8/9/09 Memory Lane Image 6 $18,776.50
    8/23/08 eBay Image consignmints ebrehm Best Offer $22,500.00

To me, it looks like the one image is the scan taken from the Memory Lane auction.

The pictures with his name on it are inconsistent with the scanned image. Others have already noted the discrepancies with the card itself. There are also problems with the label itself. The bar code is different and, more telling is the spacing on the print. On the scan the "Y" in Mickey finishes about halfway under the "O" in Topps. In his picture, the Y extends all the way to the "P" in Topps. Also, the image of the back of the card looks to be the back of an older style flip. It appears to be the old raised frosted lettering style which was discontinued long before the half-point grading came into existence.

Completely bogus.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options
    ding! well done, sir.

i believe this fish has just been fried.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-Mickey-Mantle-PSA-5-/170765911732
    The two front pictures in the listing are showing completely different cards in the holders. He's showing both variations of the card in the same cert holder. No question at all about it and if you can't instantly recognize the difference after looking at the two enlarged scans then you're a dangerous person to be giving advice on a Mantle card.

While it's obvious that both variations of the cards are displayed, it's also important to note that both of the cards shown are counterfeits of the original cards.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    The pictures with his name on it are inconsistent with the scanned image. Others have already noted the discrepancies with the card itself. There are also problems with the label itself. The bar code is different and, more telling is the spacing on the print. On the scan the "Y" in Mickey finishes about halfway under the "O" in Topps. In his picture, the Y extends all the way to the "P" in Topps. Also, the image of the back of the card looks to be the back of an older style flip. It appears to be the old raised frosted lettering style which was discontinued long before the half-point grading came into existence.

Completely bogus. >>

Also, the amount of room ("white space") between the red at the top of the flip and the "1952 Topps #311" is clearly different.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Any time a PSA 5 52 Mantle is underpriced like that (i.e. way under market), I'm immediately suspicious. If something seems too good to be true, it usually is...

That, and many crooks are looking to move the merchandise fast. No idea if this guy is a crook, but it doesn't smell right to me. I'll leave the sleuthing to the board posse. image

• Options
    Sold for $11,502. Someone is not going to be happy.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options
    unless that person likes to tango.
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Just an ugly situation.