Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Picked up an oddball 1979/1980 Topps Wayne Gretzky rookie piece, is this what is termed a "proo

This piece caught my eye so I picked it up. This was described as a "Offered is a rare and possibly unique printing production piece pulled from the depths of the Topps Vault, all confirmed by the Topps Vault COA. The presented item was used for the printing of the 1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky rookie card. It is a production mechanical for the warm red printing plate. What you see in white on this piece would eventually be printed in red on the final card"

It has a Topps Vault COA and matching hologram numbered sticker on the otherwise blank back.

Is this what is commonly called a "proof"?? Are they hard to get or was the description just typical hyperbole?

I might end up getting it signed through Gretzky's website for my HOF & Legends signed rookie card collection. I doubt there have been many of these signed, or if they are, I haven't seen them.

Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• It looks like a very unique and expensive piece to own if it's original. Do you have the cert that identifies the item in detail or the generic ones with just the hologram number on it?
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like a very unique and expensive piece to own if it's original. Do you have the cert that identifies the item in detail or the generic ones with just the hologram number on it? >>

The hologram is numbered, but the cert doesn't identify the item in detail, it is just generic with the matching hologram number on it. I bought it from Heritage Auctions here in Dallas, so I'm relatively confident that it is original.

Mike
  • I was curious of that detail only because I own a proof of an Elway RC with only the matching numbers. Apparently the Topps Vault went away from the detailed cert describing the item somewhere along the line. I would call it a pre-production proof but maybe another member can chime in with better details as to what the exact terminology would be at that stage of production.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt get that particular card signed IMO

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

• << <i>I wouldnt get that particular card signed IMO

IMF >>

+1
    imageimageimage
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I agree with not getting that signed. I think that would only lower the value.
    PSA won't slab Topps Vault items correct? Only BGS will?

What would the flip say? "1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky Pre-Production Proof"?

Mike
  • Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Sent you a PM Mike.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Have him sign it at the bottom where his name goes, or something. Might as well get it signed while you can these guys won't live forever.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA won't slab Topps Vault items correct? Only BGS will?

What would the flip say? "1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky Pre-Production Proof"?

Mike >>

PSA no, BGS yes

They typically call the title something in line with the original Topps Vault auction, seems like the seller kept that and some info that they passed along to HA, proof is a pretty general term and I would request 1979-80 Topps Wayne Gretzky Printers Proof, and i would get that baby slabbed sans auto.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mike

I would call it a "color separation proof" - any proof with a star went for way more than a common in auctions that I watched.

Today - I think they do color separations to see how much of each primary color will be used in the final product and it can be digitally recorded.

A cheap way to see this - but not accurate is by an "overlay proof" - which is taking acetate color plates and superimposing them on each other to see the final product.

I think - today - the final full color proof is called the "press proof" - which is at the actual printer - thus a pre-production proof - for final adjustment before letting the presses print out about a billion of each card!

edit: I agree with those who think you should keep this the way it is - and get a beater for a sig.
    Mike

• << <i>Have him sign it at the bottom where his name goes, or something. Might as well get it signed while you can these guys won't live forever. >>

But that HUGE stack of unused stickers will. image
    imageimageimage
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Yikes. What a great item if 100% real. I know Topps Vault has had some issues in the past with releasing bogus Topps items. But man-oh-man if that is legit. Graded by Becket would still be better than not graded at all.
    Thanks for the help guys. I was just kididing about getting it signed. I've already got both the Topps and OPC Gretzky rookies signed so I don't need another. This one will probably go straight from Heritage over to BGS where I'll get it slabbed. (I live close to both places)

Mike
  • Hello. I know it's been a few years since you bought this, but I was wondering if you still have it, or whether you have sold it already.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best regards,

Leigh Follestad
    I sold it shortly after having it graded by BGS.

Mike
  • Ahhhh, too bad. I just missed on EBay recently too.

Thanks!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    MIKE! Where the hell have you been?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>MIKE! Where the hell have you been? >>

+1
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff

<< <i>MIKE! Where the hell have you been? >>

Still law schooling and working. Decided to go during the Summer as well in order to get it done faster. Have 1st session of Summer final exams next week, ugh!

Still keeping the younger students in the rearview mirror so it's still fun image My competitive nature won't let me slack off LOL
  • DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    I'm curious about your comment about sending it in through Gretzky's website for his auto. I googled it and couldn't find anything. Curious on how to do it, the cost, and success getting it authenticated by PSA? I have a poor condition OPC rookie that would be awesome to have him auto.
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭
    How would anyone know when these 'proof' cards are printed if the COA is generic and the card is not dated?
  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leighfollestad said:
    I finally acquired the 3 of them that have been released.

It only took 20 years....

hey leighfollestad,
    Those are Pretty Cool.... :)

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2022 12:02PM

You should get those signed. ;)

Very cool. Just don't call Gretzky the GOAT or the thread may derail.

Exited to add: Based on comments below, which appear to ignore the wink emoji:
    "You guys do have sarcasm on this earth, right?" - Quentin Beck, aka Mysterio

• estangestang Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

That's not an item that I would look to get signed.

Very cool & I have no idea how rare they are but they likely have a lot of value.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@estang said:
    That's not an item that I would look to get signed.

Very cool & I have no idea how rare they are but they likely have a lot of value.

Gretzky has been upper deck exclusive since 2013.

He can not sign those or any other card except upper deck.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got in his last private signing with WGA in 2013 right before he went UDE.