Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Another fake PSA Mantle RC

Check out the whiteness of those borders. The fake flip/font. This beauty has it all!

Wonder if the seller has any idea?

51 Bowman PSA 8

Comments

• Options
  • Options

Edit add: The font is different. The flip is definitely a fakearoo! The number font is all wrong...
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    How often do fakes get by PSA? It would seem to me that cards of this stature would demand a higher level of scrutiny when it gets to the grading table, which would decrease the likliness that a fake Mantle rookie would make it through.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How often do fakes get by PSA? It would seem to me that cards of this stature would demand a higher level of scrutiny when it gets to the grading table, which would decrease the likliness that a fake Mantle rookie would make it through. >>

It didn't get through PSA grading. That's not a PSA holder.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Shady. Is it a holder from another grading service with a fake label?
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I've reported it, but eBay won't do anything. It's too bad that in five days, this will happen...

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    know what you buy...

buy what you know...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'm taking the SteveK stance on this one, he's a lowdown dirty scammer.

Why should I give anyone the benefit of the doubt?

best advice is swartzies.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>know what you buy...

buy what you know... >>

In fairness, that's kind of a lazy answer. It's not like there's a wealth of information out there carefully explaining to hobbyists how to spot a fake PSA label. 'Buyer beware' is all well and good when we're talking about raw T206 Wagners that were 'found in Grandpa's attic', but for scams as sophisticated as this it would be very easy for an experienced and conscientious collector to get torched.

In any case, it speaks to the pressing need for PSA to spend $25K and develop a slab that isn't easily replicated. They can do it now, or they can wait for another flood of fakes to come over from China. It's going to have to be done sooner or later, so why they continue to drag their heels and act like there isn't a problem is a total mystery to me.
  • Options
    Afternoon,

Couple of questions. Has anybody contacted the Seller to see what their story is? Why would a Seller with almost a thousand Feedbacks, 100% positive, get involved with something like this? Maybe they really are ignorant, I know I would have no idea if it was real or not. Or is the fact that the last Feedback was from Nov of 010 mean that this is a hijacked account? Can this be reported to E-bay because of that and actually get something done?

?????

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    We can agree to disagree on this one...

there is information out there for those who wish to do "their homework"

those who think they can get a "deal"...

make a fast buck...

deserve what they have coming...

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Boopotts says it best. IMO PSA should be contacting eBay and it would be taken down immediately. The funny thing is that calvin93 appears so greedy, he's shilling the auction. Hope he wins and gets hit with some nice eBay fees.
  • Options

<< <i>We can agree to disagree on this one...

there is information out there for those who wish to do "their homework"

those who think they can get a "deal"...

make a fast buck...

deserve what they have coming... >>

Fine, but understand that the natural extension of this philosophy is that the scammer deserves to keep what he kills.
  • Options
    YES !!!

PSA please hurry up and design a case that protects the integrity of your service...

so simpletons can by your products with peace of mind...

oh, and yes...

please stop charging more than $5 a slab...

- uncut

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Shady. Is it a holder from another grading service with a fake label? >>

Someone cracked out a PSA graded card, erased the print from the flip and printed their own text there, then put it, along with a fake card, back into the two broken halves of the PSA holder and glued it back together.

All out fraud.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    If PSA ever designed a new type of tamper evident holder (shoebox style like BGS or old GAI), I wouldn't
    hesistate to transfer all my slabs into new ones. They can do a re-holder service for this.

It's been the same style slabs for 20 years, and obviously it's not working too well.
    Time for a change.
  • Options

<< <i>YES !!!

PSA please hurry up and design a case that protects the integrity of your service...

so simpletons can by your products with peace of mind...

oh, and yes...

please stop charging more than $5 a slab... >>

Ha! Recognize, though, that in this context, 'simpletons'= 'non card nerd'.

You shouldn't have to be a sexless geek who trolls message boards 8 hrs. a day looking for hot tips on fraudulent slabs in order to be a player in this hobby. Or at least that's my opinion. Others, however, do have a right to disagree.
  • Options
    No matter what new slab or flip PSA comes up with. There will always be someone out there trying to counterfeit it.

We have seen it all to this point. From the frosty slabbed Nolan Ryan switcharoo rookie to the fake Ruth's on CL.

I think having knowledge on what to look for is our best weapon against the counterfeiters. This is one of the reasons I made a thread on PSA flips/labels (still a work in progress). We have seen a lot of good slabs with fake flips lately. I feel bad for the people that plainly don't know any better and buy them...
  • Options

<< <i>No matter what new slab or flip PSA comes up with. There will always be someone out there trying to counterfeit it.
    . >>

DING !!! DING !!! DING !!!

we have a winner!!

why have PSA spends thousands on a new product (which they in turn will ultimately charge their "good" customers)

due diligence...

- uncut

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>know what you buy...

buy what you know... >>

+1

aconte
  • Options
    Yikes! Well it is "a GEM in the pantheon of basball cards" Probably graded by GEM, somebody is really going to be pi$$ed