Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Hockey Card Thread...show your recent pick-ups.

Thought this was a good idea for the growing hockey love on these boards. Thanks Big80s for your boxing thread that inspired this.

Here are a few that I just received in the mail.

mathew
baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
NHL hall of fame rookies

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Mathew. You've made quite a dent in your HOF rookies set recently. Keep up the good work!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Great looking cards Mathew!!! image

If I ever branch out my unopened pack collection, hockey is definitely where I'm going.

They are all their rookie cards right?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Love the Smitty!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Jim,

AMAZING card.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Hey Jim, very nice old school card!!!

Are they harder to come across than their baseball counterparts?

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>They are all their rookie cards right? >>

Thanks! and Yes, they are all rookies. I only deal in rookies when it comes to cards.

Here are a few more of my favourites too...

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options

<< <i>Love the Smitty! >>

And he even shaved for the picture Eric!!! image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>If I ever branch out my unopened pack collection, hockey is definitely where I'm going. >>

Funny you mention that. I have a run of O-pee-chee packs (1980-88) in the current group grading special. These will be my first unopened packs that I will be using to start my collection.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks! and Yes, they are all rookies. I only deal in rookies when it comes to cards. >>

I probably have the Kurri and Anderson packed away, but they are all Topps. I got some OPC packs once in the early 80's and said these are cut horrible so I stuck to Topps. If only I had that crystal ball. image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Funny you mention that. I have a run of O-pee-chee packs (1980-88) in the current group grading special. These will be my first unopened packs that I will be using to start my collection. >>

Yes, I saw that and welcome to the club!!!

I think I'll look at get some 70's rack packs when I start going in that direction so I can enjoy the cards showing on top and bottom. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Good stuff Mathew.
    Why did that Dryden get a 7?
    Looks more like 8.5.
  • Options
    I have another question for either Mathew or Jim. For the 1980 OPC, was the name on the player hidden and needed to be rubbed off like the Topps cards?

BTW, I always loved Borje Salming. He was so smooth on the ice. image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>I have another question for either Mathew or Jim. For the 1980 OPC, was the name on the player hidden and needed to be rubbed off like the Topps cards? >>

Hey Mike,

The O-pee-chee did not have the rub off. Just the Topps had that.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options

<< <i>The O-pee-chee did not have the rub off. Just the Topps had that. >>

Thanks Mathew.

If I'd known that, I'd have gotten O-Pee-Chee that year. I wonder how PSA grades those cards if they were rubbed off or not. Is Bourque the only big time rookie from that set as I believe I collected the complete set that year, but I rubbed all the names off?

Collecting:
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭
    Anyone care to guess the SGC grade?

• Options
    Nice moose...8.5?
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Steve, the Mess looks NM-MT to me, but what do I know I'm an accountant. image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>If I'd known that, I'd have gotten O-Pee-Chee that year. I wonder how PSA grades those cards if they were rubbed off or not. Is Bourque the only big time rookie from that set as I believe I collected the complete set that year, but I rubbed all the names off? >>

Not sure how PSA grades the Topps that have been rubbed off. As for the big rookies, the set has Michel Goulet, Ray Bourque and Mike Gartner in Topps. O-pee-chee has the same but also added the Messier.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options

<< <i>O-pee-chee has the same but also added the Messier. >>

Double damn!!! image

Collecting:
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Got this last week from RB1026 (a coin guy). couldn't be happier

• Options
    Great looking Super Mario!!!

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Got this last week from RB1026 (a coin guy). couldn't be happier

image >>

Great looking Super Mario rookie. RB1026 is a a GREAT person to deal with.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Picked up this 1/1 with none higher. Really prefer this card over his OPC rookie. Really lucky to have found it.

• Options
    These aren't graded yet, but I just picked them up over the weekend.

Apparently, I need to get some windex on the scanner
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

mathew >>

My guess is that this picture was taken about two minutes after the picture on the Phil Roberto card. (you can go to GameUsedHoops 1973 Topps on B/S/T near the bottom of scan to see what I mean)

Edited to add GameUsedHoop reference on Roberto scan.
  • Options
    r00kies101r00kies101 Posts: 263 ✭✭
  • Options
    r00kies101r00kies101 Posts: 263 ✭✭
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Just picked up two nicely centered cards. The one on the right is one of the most undervalued hockey cards right now. The rookie goes for $4,500-$5,500 and the second year card goes for $250.00 I don't know of any other hockey card that has that big a difference between the first and second year. I think the 2nd year Gretzky #250 is an easy $500.00 card somewhere down the road.

• Options
    Nice looking Gretzky's. I agree that his second year card is very undervalued.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Here is what came in today's mail. I love everything about the Esposito but the centering. Maybe someday I can upgrade it to a better centered one.

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Awesome thread, Mathew! I'm proud to think I played a part in inspiring a top notch thread. Keep up the good work!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    I think that's a NM-MT Espo, but the centering drops it to a 7. A little better centered and it's most likely an 8.

Here's a tough rookie to find centered. All the one's I've seen from vending are never 55/45 or better. This wax pack one is the
    closest I've seen, although I'm sure there are others. The top to bottom is perfect, and side to side is pretty good too.

• Options
    Very nice Sittler!
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just picked up two nicely centered cards. The one on the right is one of the most undervalued hockey cards right now. The rookie goes for $4,500-$5,500 and the second year card goes for $250.00 I don't know of any other hockey card that has that big a difference between the first and second year. I think the 2nd year Gretzky #250 is an easy $500.00 card somewhere down the road. >>

I was thinking the same exact thing about a month ago - so I picked this card up. I hope you're right!

BTW - after seeing the other scans on this thread - I'm realizing how crappy my scanner is.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Thats a beautiful sittler
  • Options

<< <i>Thats a beautiful sittler >>

Thanks 54. I find it very difficult to find centered Sittlers.

As per the 2nd year Gretzky buyer, I agree with you. The PSA 9 Mario Lemieux rookie goes for 350.00
    Mario's 86 opc in PSA 9 sells for 100.00
    So if a rookie opc Gretzky sells for 4,500.00, and his 2nd year sells for $250.00, then you're looking at a 3.5 to 1 spread on the Mario,
    and an almost 20 to 1 spread on the Gretzky. Just doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options

If you like the rough, wax pack opc cut, then you'll like this card. If you prefer the razor sharp vending cuts from this year, then this
    ain't your kind of card.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭
    The cards are all fantastic.
    Love Mario and nice 9 and 10
    Need to upgrade myself to a 9 someday.
    Sittler is veru nice. Not easy 2 find centered.

Here is my newest. B Clarke was one of my favorites growing up. Loved the flyers.

The guy looks like a 9 to me.

Now all I need is a 9 phil espo and B Orr has anyone ever seeen a 9 Orr???
    If I start saving fot that one I will make it just in time to die and leave it to my son.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful cards Jay! Good luck with the Espo 9. I'm guessing $2,000 - $3,500 depending on centering. And Orr 9. Fuggedaboudit!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Jay those are beauties. Joe Henninger owns the one and only PSA 9 Orr rookie. You can see the picture under his Bobby Orr Basic set. Hes currently #1. There was an article about this card. I believe it was purchased in the 45K range.image
  • Options
    Nice Clarke and Lafluer. Very nice.

The Orr rookie psa 9 went for 35k. It would have gone much higher, but the biggest spender sat out of the auction because he
    questioned the authenticity of it.
  • Options
    HAD TO GET THIS ONE...............

I like the centering much better on this 8 then the 9 that is for sale on ebay.

PSA 9 Gretzky on EBAY
  • Options
    Question about 4SC. I do not have VCP, so do they list most of their cards around VCP ?

I only have the SMR, and that does not seem accurate at all. Should I assume that I'm paying VCP price for 4SC's BIN auctions ? Thanks.
  • Options
    I think this thread needs some Bobby Orr. Here's an Orr rookie inside an Orr rookie wax box.

• Options
    And here's my favorite Bobby Orr card. A nicely centered card that came from a wax pack.

• Options
    Love the Orrs. The rookie in the box is especially nice.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    These aren't new pick ups for me but I find it interesting that these almost never come up on ebay in PSA 9. The pop reports aren't really low but I guess collectors have no plans on getting rid of them.

• Options
    I don't think the Lemieux is a Low Pop. 37 psa 9's and seven psa 10's. That's a total of 44 above the grade of PSA 9, and if you think about it, that means that about 1 person in each state in the United States is permitted to own one. That doesn't even include Canada.