Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Elusive 1975 Christmas Rack

Take a look at this listing.

1975 Christmas Rack

Here is what the seller says, "THIS IS A CHRISTMAS RACK PACK.IT IS BASEBALL 1975 TOPPS CARDS.12 CARDS PER RACK WITH ANY CARD FROM ANY SERIES OR GRADE .ALL XMASS PACKS ARE PUT TOGETHER BY A 3RD PARTY.I HAVE A LOT OF RACKS FROM ALL YEARS THAT I WILL BE LISTING SOON LOTS HAVE STARS SHOWING."

Some amusing observations,

"any series or grade". Last I checked, they didn't have any series in 1975. The grade part is nice so you can be sure they are a PSA 6 or 7 at most.

"put together by a 3rd party". Yes, the seller is the 3rd party.

"lot of racks from all years". Any year that Topps made cards or those the seller can buy in bulk.

"lots have stars showing". I must be honest, I thought of Muggyman right away when I saw that comment. I think if anyone makes him a request with star and year, he most likely will accommodate you.

Grote and all my fellow unopened pack collectors, please feel free to comment on this as I'm sure we've all seen these packs before and have many in our collections. image

Edits in bold.
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

Comments

• Dear creekpoint,

I am looking for a pack with a Brett RC, Yount RC, and a Nolan Ryan all on top, let me know if you have any.

Thank you!

- muggyman
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dear creekpoint,

I am looking for a pack with a Brett RC, Yount RC, and a Nolan Ryan all on top, let me know if you have any.

Thank you!

- muggyman >>

If he has one, see if I can get one too!!!

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I had seen these through 1963. Has anyone seen others like this one beyond that date ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • <<I had seen these through 1963. Has anyone seen others like this one beyond that date?>>

This seller has!

I should ask him if he can get his hands on any '88 Donruss Christmas racks...

<< <i>I had seen these through 1963. Has anyone seen others like this one beyond that date ? >>

Only now that the prices of unopened packs from the late 60's and 70's have gone up.

I know this has been discussed on the board before, but I just want people to be aware of these repackaged packs. The less people bidding on these, the less profitable for the sellers to put these out on eBay. I believe there were legitimate "Christmas" packs (by the way, that is not very politically correct) that were packaged by a third party, but my guess would be that most were ripped open on Christmas day and not saved.

I know Stevek and Corvette among others have brought these to the boards attention before, but it looks like this seller is ramping up so I just want to put the word out again.

Collecting:
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised there isn't a national convention for all these scammers with their Xmas rack packs. The vendor booths at the convention could include sealing machine companies, plastic wrap suppliers, stapler manufacturers, as well as cheap offset printer dealers.

Some of the "industry" learning exhibitions could include techniques on how to make the staples rusty or discolored so they appear old.
    Don't give them any ideas Steve. image

I'm surprised summerof68 never commented on any of those old threads. I would be interested in his input.

Collecting:
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for that super elusive 1971 grocery cello rack pack.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>I'm still waiting for that super elusive 1971 grocery cello rack pack. >>

I think the seller personally knows the third party packager. I'm sure they can make you one, but you'll have to supply the cellophane. image

Collecting:
  • I have boughten some of these in the past from bubble gum company. Chat are your thoughts on the legitimacy of their Xmas rack packs?

They are the only seller I would even consider. They explain in detail the differences, years made, and have some incredible ones with sharp stars. I have pulled 7's and 8's off of their Xmas packs, so I didnt lose money thx couple times I bought from them.

Thoughts?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
    What is the name of the bubble gum company?

Collecting:
  • Bubblegum_company

I have had great success with them in the past, and they have some really nice racks!(insert boobs)
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Does he have a '52 topps Xmas rack that has Mantle showing in all six slots?

• Don't think so, but he has in his PC some 52's with Pafko and high numbers. Look at the auctions ending Sunday. Some incredible ones with stars. His have the look of the legitimate ones. I could still be wrong, but have spent a lot if time researching these racks, and his have the look, they dont look newer, they have all the right markings etc.

I would be interested to know what you guys think.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    These are vintage aftermarket packs of cards.... simple, dont pay for the wrapper, pay for the 12 cards or whatever number are in these packs. they are vintage aftermarket packs made up with older "used" cards.
    I remember them as a kid in a toy/hobby shop I used to hang out in, and that would be about 1975 and I do remember they had older cards too in packs.

Its funny how over the last 10+ years Ive heard so many people gripe about these X-Mas packs, the cards inside are 100% genuine Topps cards the wrapper is aftermarket, thats all you need to know. If youre stupid enough to pay a hefty premium for any unopened pack (even real Topps racks), its your lose when you find out its full of OC Jeff Burrough's, Biff Pocoroba's and Amos Otis cards.
    The problem with these xmas racks is that most sellers hawk them as unopened racks packaged by Topps when they were not. There are some "legitimate" holiday racks that were packaged after the year of issue by a third party, but the cards are not pack fresh and in most cases grade out as EX-MT at best, so unopened collectors avoid them completely. In additio, there have been a ton of" freshly made" holiday racks popping up on ebay lately for years that were never seen before in holiday rack format.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    I agree completely with what Grote said. As Stevek says, he is wise beyond his years. image

<< <i>pay for the 12 cards or whatever number are in these packs. >>

This is the best advice for purchasing these racks. Pay what you would for the cards that are showing. I've never heard of anyone getting a big hit on one of the 6 mystery cards. Anyone who has, please let us know.

As far as bubblegum_company, the only thing I can tell you is that they've been selling these rack packs since 2008 and would think they would have exhausted their supply by now. These are way too easy to make and there are just too many out there compared to regular rack packs. Now I'm seeing Christmas rack packs for the mid-70's I've never seen before. Why, perhaps because of the prices going up on these packs now and the limited supply of regular rack packs. Those are my thoughts on the subject.

Collecting:
  • "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    Muggy,

Didn't realize you were a fan of Frost too!!!

Collecting:
    One more thought on xmas racks...I recall when Mark Murphy (who at one time was bigger than Steve when it came to unopened packs) was touting these racks and selling them for hundreds of dollars each before realizing exactly what they were, at which point he ceased selling them completely. As Mike said, we are now seeing them for years that we never saw in the past. They are the equivalent of" grocery" cellos, IMO. For all we know the same outfit is producing both, lol...Now, please excuse me while I finish soaking rusty staples in rainwater..

• And, Merry Christmas to you.
  • ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    I'm going to request a Brett,Yount and Griffey on top of a 75 rack.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    "Boughten?"
    One good thing about these fake Xmas rack packs, they don't sell for nearly the money they used to sell for, so hopefully that means most collectors are now educated about this scam. Of course the naive person wanting to buy what they think is a nice gift for a card collector, unfortunately can get taken by this scam.

<< <i>I agree completely with what Grote said. As Stevek says, he is wise beyond his years. image

<< <i>pay for the 12 cards or whatever number are in these packs. >>

This is the best advice for purchasing these racks. Pay what you would for the cards that are showing. I've never heard of anyone getting a big hit on one of the 6 mystery cards. Anyone who has, please let us know.

As far as bubblegum_company, the only thing I can tell you is that they've been selling these rack packs since 2008 and would think they would have exhausted their supply by now. These are way too easy to make and there are just too many out there compared to regular rack packs. Now I'm seeing Christmas rack packs for the mid-70's I've never seen before. Why, perhaps because of the prices going up on these packs now and the limited supply of regular rack packs. Those are my thoughts on the subject. >>

Seems like the history of these genuine Xmas rack packs is shrouded in more mystery than the story of Lindbergh's baby. LOL

In any event, I would have to believe that since the packs were likely hand collated for maximum value and buyer interest, that the Mantles, Williams, Berras, etc would have always been showing.
    Steve,

Do you ever remember seeing a 1975 Christmas rack pack before? How long until we see the 1978 Christmas rack pack with Murray, Molitor/Trammell, and Ryan on top?

I tend to think you are right about people wising up to these packs, but its always good to discuss these from time to time.

By the way, hope Roy's back is feeling better. I know a good chiropractor he can go to. image

Collecting:

<< <i>Steve,

Do you ever remember seeing a 1975 Christmas rack pack before? How long until we see the 1978 Christmas rack pack with Murray, Molitor/Trammell, and Ryan on top?

I tend to think you are right about people wising up to these packs, but its always good to discuss these from time to time.

By the way, hope Roy's back is feeling better. I know a good chiropractor he can go to. image >>

Mike - I don't collect unopened packs, but I always look for genuine vintage unopened packs to rip, at the right price, in the hope of finding high grade cards.

I hope this comment about ripping doesn't offend you or Grote15 too much. image
    I hope this comment about ripping doesn't offend you or Grote15 too much.

All those insults about the Mets and Jets I've endured over the years has toughened me up just a bit..image

My wish list:

1983 Christmas rack with Gwynn, Sandberg and Boggs on top. A 1984 rack with Mattingly, Strawberry and Gooden(TT, haha), a 1985 rack with Clemens, McGwire, Puckett on front, Hershiser, Davis and Pendleton on back.

I think if someone had the time to produce these, we as a board, can devalue the entire X-Mas rack market! When I said Griffey for my 75 rack, I meant the 89TT Junior version!

<< <i>My wish list:

1983 Christmas rack with Gwynn, Sandberg and Boggs on top. A 1984 rack with Mattingly, Strawberry and Gooden(TT, haha), a 1985 rack with Clemens, McGwire, Puckett on front, Hershiser, Davis and Pendleton on back.

I think if someone had the time to produce these, we as a board, can devalue the entire X-Mas rack market! When I said Griffey for my 75 rack, I meant the 89TT Junior version! >>

Toro, you crack me up buddy. I'll see if I can get those rusty staples from Grote and work on it.

Steve, I don't mind at all unless you are bidding against me. The less vintage packs out there, the more valuable mine and Grote's become.

Collecting:
  • unsolicited email from him...

Dear muggyman,

Hi I have one with yount,and ryan it you are interested...
  • I agree with all the info on here regarding them. There has to be real ones out there that were made back in the 60's. I completely understand they are an aftermarket rack. I also understand there are plently of fake Xmas rack packs out there.

My question is regarding bubblegum_company and there racks. I have boughten six over the past 3 years, and have been very pleased. Those are the ones I pulled some 7's and 8's out of.

Anyone had experiences with this seller? There was another big seller of these on Ebay. He shows up from time to time, and has a hoard of 52 Topps Xmas Rack Packs. He puts a very long detailed eplanation in regards to fakes, how to tell the authenticity of the aftermarket real ones, etc.

They could all be fake, but the ones from bubblegum_company I have been pleased with.

Any other experiences from you guys on these???
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    It's amazing how the company that made them used the same header and cellophane from 1961-1976
  • scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's amazing how the company that made them used the same header and cellophane from 1961-1976 >>

Christmas cellophane
    What really ticks me off is that there seems to be no Happy Chanukah rack packs - not even fake ones. image
  • nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    Well - last year when I first got back into collecting - I bought 3 of these from 65, 66 and 67. I opened one of them - the 67 - and the cards were in fair condition, but provided no evidence that they weren't a total rip off. I have the other two, and have the moral question of passing them off through ebay to another person ("Hey folks, look what I have for you today!") - or just ripping them and being done with it.
    Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I said Griffey for my 75 rack, I meant the 89TT Junior version! >>

We're thinking along the same lines, except why not just ask for the '89 Upper Deck Griffey instead? I'm sure he has an "error" pack with Brett RC, Sandberg RC, and the UD Griffey somewhere...
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.

<< <i>

<< <i>When I said Griffey for my 75 rack, I meant the 89TT Junior version! >>

We're thinking along the same lines, except why not just ask for the '89 Upper Deck Griffey instead? I'm sure he has an "error" pack with Brett RC, Sandberg RC, and the UD Griffey somewhere... >>

...and if not, he can custom make one. LOL