Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Has anyone ever had a GOOD buying experience with vintage cards on Craigslist?

...the reason I ask, is that I checked out some cards tonight, that were all "qualifier" worthy. Even the one stated as a PSA 8, had the PSA 8 (OC) designation (the qualifier wasn't mentioned beforehand).....

Comments

• I visit collections from craigslist daily. I have picked up some extremely nice early 50's and before items in random collections, I kinda do more blind offers on things just to pick them up which seems to work out more often than not though. I stay away from graded though simply because it puts a premium on cards I'm not willing to pay.
  • scooperqprscooperqpr Posts: 438 ✭✭
    Yup spent around 4 hours cherry picking one guys collection. He had 1 of 1's that they had to rewrite the ACC to include. Bought $400 dollars worth of cards and could of EASILY spent TEN TIMES that if I had it. I am going back for more next week.This guy collection was from 1890's to 1930's.
  • yes for me, just be careful....
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭

<< <i>Yup spent around 4 hours cherry picking one guys collection. He had 1 of 1's that they had to rewrite the ACC to include. Bought $400 dollars worth of cards and could of EASILY spent TEN TIMES that if I had it. I am going back for more next week.This guy collection was from 1890's to 1930's. >>

wth?? vintage PreWar 1/1 cards, what?, rewrite the American Card Catalog (ACC)?, dont understand....
    please elaborate on these so called 1/1 cards Burdick didnt have listed in the ACC that are now included in the ACC after the so called "rewrite".
    1890s?... Nonsport Cards? or Baseball Cards........ only one true baseball card set, the N300 Mayo's (listed as "300" in the ACC, with no "N"), were issued in that decade.... so were they N300's? I would be interest if so.

Do you have a list of the baseball related "types" (sets) of 1890-1930s cards?
    I can come up with the $$ if anything good/rare (not interested in common stuff ie. T206, R319, etc.) image

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    So....Everyone is in agreement Craigslist is not just for 1997 Topps??
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I have bought many times from Craigslist, sure there is a lot of crap listed, but there are also some good vintage deals to be had.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
    Id sell cards on CL if I had a market here where I live (Hawaii) for the stuff I wanted to sell.

CL is FREE and fairly safe to sell cards for the seller (and buyer) if they meets up in a public place for the transaction (fast food restaurant is easy).

Ive sold a truck, a Vespa, a mountain bike, 2 surfboards, and a weedwacker on CL...... no problems....
    but cards... I would NOT want the buyer knowing where I live.
    The key (buying) is to make the transaction in person (not via Mail) and inspect items before pulling out your wallet.
    Newbies should never buy high $ cards raw from CL, or anywhere actually image

and we all know about those 100s of PSA CL fakes out there floating around...... so even buying PSA cards is a bit risky, especially if they are the mid to high grade common everyday 1950's Topps stars (ie '54T Aaron, '56T Mantle, etc.) or the T206 Cobbs and R319 Ruths also seen in this big $$ scam.

• SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Once. About 5-6 years ago I bought a 1965 Topps Namath RC graded SGC 60 that crossed to PSA 5. Met the guy at the local mall near the Apple Store and paid cash. Felt kinda weird, like a drug deal.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>Has anyone ever had a GOOD buying experience with vintage cards on Craigslist? >>

Yes
  • Newbies should never buy high $ cards raw from CL, or anywhere actually

Great advice, seriously...

I have had many dealings from Craigslist and have scored very well. Especially if you are willing to travel a bit, there are some sweet collections out there. It will only get better I believe as the economy continues to struggle. Cards collections will keep getting sold even if it means parting with childhood dreams and memories...

Good luck on CL, but must be careful.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"