Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pawn Stars Babe Ruth Auto

I'm watching an episode of Pawn Stars where someone walked in with a Babe Ruth signed photo. It was checked by one of their "experts" and was deemed authentic. The expert said its worth $2-$2500, and the IDIOT owner sold it for $1200!

Am I way off, but where can you buy an authentic Ruth auto for $2-$2500? The sig looked very sharp and clean.

AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I saw and thought the same exact thing. Honestly, I think it looked a little off but then again I am far from being a Ruth auto expert. But yeah, I think I would buy a signed ruth photo for 2 grand too!
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm watching an episode of Pawn Stars where someone walked in with a Babe Ruth signed photo. It was checked by one of their "experts" and was deemed authentic. The expert said its worth $2-$2500, and the IDIOT owner sold it for $1200!

Am I way off, but where can you buy an authentic Ruth auto for $2-$2500? The sig looked very sharp and clean.

AJ >>

As I'm sure you're aware, most people aren't spending thier disposable income (if they still have any) on frivolities these days. I don't find the price range to be that ridiculous, especially given everything else that is still going on in the economy. $2500 maybe a little low, but not ridiculous IMO.

The appalling aspect to me was when the appraiser recommended to the owner that he cut the bottom half off. The item was a postcard of some type with a "To" line on the bottom, with someone else's name there. I always thought the rule of thumb was to leave older items in thier natural state...
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    The wealthy still spend. The reason he suggested to cut thebottom of the picture off was because it wasn't written by Ruth.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    Pretty sure it's a TV SHOW for a reason, we had a discussion here and someone who had worked with someone on the set said it is basically all staged now.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I saw that episode last night, believe it was a repeat....also saw the episode with the Gold Pants from OSU....does anyone know if the pants are gold? goldplated?? are they 14K? or what? he paid a lot for them.
  • Options
    dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭
    I also thought the price was low. Isn't a clean ruth auto more in the $4k range?? $1,200 for that was definitely a steal!! I was also pretty surprised when the "expert" recommended cutting off the bottom!
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pretty sure it's a TV SHOW for a reason, we had a discussion here and someone who had worked with someone on the set said it is basically all staged now. >>

That is true, much of the "rare" stuff that walks in is all set up. They had George Washington inaugural buttons walk in a few years ago. Was set up by their expert who appraises for them!
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw that episode last night, believe it was a repeat....also saw the episode with the Gold Pants from OSU....does anyone know if the pants are gold? goldplated?? are they 14K? or what? he paid a lot for them. >>

OSU gold pants are probably a poor investment. The supply has been increasing at an alarming rate and will probably continue to do so for some time.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pretty sure it's a TV SHOW for a reason, we had a discussion here and someone who had worked with someone on the set said it is basically all staged now. >>

That is true, much of the "rare" stuff that walks in is all set up. They had George Washington inaugural buttons walk in a few years ago. Was set up by their expert who appraises for them! >>

Of course it is. Regular every day items would not be too good for tV ratings.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Of course it is. Regular every day items would not be too good for tV ratings.

i respectfully disagree. if you watch Hardcore Pawn on TruTV the customers are the ratings regardless of what they bring in which is mainly jewelery or low end electronics. i
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course it is. Regular every day items would not be too good for tV ratings.

i respectfully disagree. if you watch Hardcore Pawn on TruTV the customers are the ratings regardless of what they bring in which is mainly jewelery or low end electronics. i >>

I'd say the items on Pawn Stars definitely play a part in the ratings. The producers apparently agree, because otherwise they would just have people on the show with ordinary items.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

they had an autographed Bears football from the 50's the other week. it looked like the autos were all stamped on it. they paid 2k for it.

I am aware of a guy who is a family friend who brought in an Ansel Adams painting and it was staged well ahead of time.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    yes, they cast for the show through various agencies, cameras are only there certain times, as are the prolific members of the cast. I didnt see the item, but Ruth signatures are very common
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I saw that episode last night, believe it was a repeat....also saw the episode with the Gold Pants from OSU....does anyone know if the pants are gold? goldplated?? are they 14K? or what? he paid a lot for them. >>

OSU gold pants are probably a poor investment. The supply has been increasing at an alarming rate and will probably continue to do so for some time. >>

Nice one Ralph!!!

------
    stupid print dots