Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA Card Holder

Hi, Is anyone else concerned with the PSA card holder for long term storage? The interior has those edges that seem to rub the card, and sometimes the card seems to go under the edge. Unlike the SGC holder that seems to hold the card still. I have noticed some side deterioration on some of the cards I have purchased in the past.

What is everyone else thoughts on the holder. Just curious.

Thanks

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hi

IMO the SGC holder with the gasket might be more of a problem.

Or so I have been told. I suppose every holder will have it's drawbacks.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I don't see how the card can go under the edge in a PSA holder. The edges actually fit into slots cut into the other half of the slab. However, I do remember a while back someone got a card back from PSA where the card got pinned between the two slabs by the edge, but that was the slabbers fault, not the slab's.

Beckett's holder is the best in the business, even though their reputation for grading is not.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Interesting, I wondered the thoughts on the sgc holder compared to psa.
  • I have had problems with both. I have had a thin card slip underneath the SGC gasket and in between the two slabs with my PSA cards. I have also seen cards damaged by a poor cut on the SGC gaskets. Some of the gaskets will have a rough cut and potentially damage the card over time. The Beckett holder is the best, even though I really don't like it that much for some reason. It does protect the card the most.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Since I don't shake my cards like a baby, I don't worry about the slight movement and the edges getting worn.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    SGC's gasket can be too tight and ruin an edge of a card. Especially if the gasket is jagged not smooth. It cuts right into the card. PSA's holder is good in regards to corner protection.

• << <i>SGC's gasket can be too tight and ruin an edge of a card. Especially if the gasket is jagged not smooth. It cuts right into the card. PSA's holder is good in regards to corner protection. >>

i have owned alot of SGC cards and have never had a problem with the gasket.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I had a 68 Mantle SGC 88 that had the rough cut gasket where the card actually slid under one of the jagged pieces of plastic and caused an indentation on the card. This problem is well known with SGC graded cards. The best bet is to get it reslabbed immediately on return as over time it could cause issues.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set