Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

contractors at the house today, doesn't look promising for two cards

I might be jumping the gun, but for the life of me I cant find two cards. Before there is a trail of bodies I am going to keep looking

These two are missing, they were together for a crossover sub

Comments

• calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Ted , A few years ago , at our youngest son's 2nd birthday party , someone swtched out simular but lower grade for MS 66 PCGS graded Morgan dollars , and some VERY high grade (MS 67) early Lincoln pennies , that I had in a showcase. It wasn't locked as we normally don't have lots of folks over.

I know it was a relative , that had seen the coins before , knew which ones were "The" best ones , then shopped out lower quality samples.

It made me sick , as it was thousands of dollars , gone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I now keep all the best cards and coins elsewhere.

Hope for the best as maybe , just maybe you may find them somewhere else.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I have people over, no matter who, I lock my office door, where my cards reside (key lock). Especially contractors, they never see inside that room. I would certainly bring it up with the owner of the contractor's company. MAN that sucks... I hope you get them back.
  • onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Hopefully they are just misplaced and will surface very soon..........................for all parties involved sake.
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    My mouth literally dropped when I saw that you might have lost/got stolen the Clemente!! I pray that you find it.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Seeing this makes me sick......

• << <i>Whenever I have people over, no matter who, I lock my office door, where my cards reside (key lock). Especially contractors, they never see inside that room. I would certainly bring it up with the owner of the contractor's company. MAN that sucks... I hope you get them back. >>

Very good idea. I have a step son who was sticky fingered and I put a lock on the door to the room where the cards were kept. I still would like to get a big gun safe someday.
  • Sorry to hear about this. This has always been one of my worst nightmares whenever I think about work I need done on the inside of my house.

I hope they turn up somewhere and you can breath a sigh of relief. Good luck!
    "It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
    - John Wooden
  • scoutsout47scoutsout47 Posts: 520 ✭✭
    Teddy, please find the Wood card for your crossover sub!

I hope they turn up, bud.
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ted, hopefully you will find them and someone did not swipe them on you.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Hope it works out for you. I, finally, reluctantly, moved the slabbed part of my signed rookie collection to my safe deposit box to try and protect against things like this. I decided that I have the onlne gallery to view them if I want rather then flipping through the real deal. I hope you just misplaced yours and they pop up soon.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    I would freak out and go PTSD mode if something like that happened to me.

Hope you find them somewhere.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Its unfortunate this stuff happens, but I see many of you have either feared this or have experienced it yourselves.
    The part about relatives coming over and waiting for an opportunity to swipe things sickens me, but I hear it all the time.

Its better to put valuables away and lock the room where they are at when having many guests or contractors over. Keep in mind that sometimes kids take things from the homes and their parents may or may not have been part of it.

Here is an idea. Set a decoy out in a few spots around the home while your true valuables are locked away and out of sight. A decoy could be anything of little value like a $10 bill, fake coins, fake cards, something that looks valuable but is really fake, then always inspect after people leave to see who is the one with sticky fingers. That way you will know who is honest and who isn't with little lost. You don't have to associate with certain people again.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    We have contractors starting on our house on Monday. i took my box filled with my best cards and put them in my safe downstairs. They usually are in a small cabinet in my office but I can't take any chances. My cheaper cards will stay where they are but will be covered with junk that would be thieves would just walk right by.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    I recently bought a large gun safe for this reason. I can't get everything in there but it's nice to know that a lot of expensive things are locked away.
  • mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    I had a Pete Rose card that I have autographed at his sportsbar in Boca Raton, FL. It was in a little plaque that I also bought at the sportbar. It was hanging on my wall a few years ago when I had my heating and a/c unit replaced. Did not realize it was gone until a few weeks later. I am sure it was not worth much in money but was valueable to me. Thanks alot F.H. Furr Heating and Air conditioning.
  • Forget the safe and invest in a video surveillance system and send them away.
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

Sure hoping for a good outcome on this. image
  • It isn't just cards either, I can't tell you how many tools and drill bits have "disappeared" in the wake of work being done on my house. I used to break a lot of drill bits and as I killed them off I would replace them with sturdier titanium bits, but after we had our bathrooms done I was missing several bits including one of my masonry ones. Nothing that breaks the bank but it's a pain in the neck when I'm in the middle of something and the bits are poofed. Even my nice Craftsman balance which I stuck padding on the one side so it wouldn't scratch my walls turned into a jacked up knock-off balance at one point. There's only so much stuff I can hide and lock up after a while.

Hope that your cards turn up one way or another Ted.
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I have a similar story regarding family/friends stealing from us. Two years ago I had two herniated disks in my back. I was on regiment of different pain killers for almost a year to help control the pain. After about 6 months of use, I started to notice that the end of every month I was always short 3-4 days worth of medication.

At first, I didn't think much of it. After the 3rd month I began to get suspicious that one of my wife's family/friends was stealing them from me. I had an idea of who might be doing it. One day before she came over, I decided to count the pills and replace them with vitamin C tablets that looked similar. As soon as she left, I re-counted them and found that she had stolen 17 of them. To keep this story short, I will just say, that was the last time she was allowed in our home.

• Sorry, I do hope you misplaced them in your home. I thought you may need some emergency work done and were going to sell. When I was away for a couple months of training, I took my most expensive stuff and put it in off the wall places. Something tells me a thief isn't going in the cleaning supplies for my good stuff.
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

<< <i>I would freak out and go PTSD mode if something like that happened to me.

Hope you find them somewhere. >>

PTSD=
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    This thread makes me sick to my stomach. I hope this turns out well for you. I will be moving all my cards to a safety deposit box on Monday.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread makes me sick to my stomach. I hope this turns out well for you. I will be moving all my cards to a safety deposit box on Monday. >>

<<< safety deposit box >>>

Yes definitely - to me with cards and coins I can't afford to lose, and couldn't bear to lose, as well as certain types of paperwork, a safe deposit box at the bank is the only option.

Keep scans on your computer whenever ya have the quick urge to look at the collectibles stored at the bank.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    good luck with this, i hope it ends well for you
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Good luck i hope you fined them soon.
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I have this photo framed on my gun safe which also has my high dollar cards in it.

• << <i>I will be moving all my cards to a safety deposit box on Monday. >>

You mean in a BANK ???

If so, I would not
  • Boy I hope you find them. I am going to be sick thinking about this tonight!!!
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about this Ted.

When we go out of town for a few days - I ask my son to stay - just for a bit of peace of mind.

I "have" had dreams where I'm cleaned out!
    Mike
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    You mean in a BANK ???

If so, I would not

Please expound.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>You mean in a BANK ???

If so, I would not

Please expound. >>

Because DeNiro and the rest of the crew from Heat might show up?

• << <i>You mean in a BANK ???

If so, I would not

Please expound. >>

Do your research
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I keep my good cards in a gun safe. I like it much better than a bank safe deposit box which I used to use because I never went to the bank to look at the cards. Much easier when they are at home. Plus, safe deposit boxes do get broken into it because thieves KNOW there is valuable stuff in them!

As for Ted's situation I am sorry. I know it happens but it sucks. We all need video survelience I guess!?!?
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

If so, I would not

Please expound. >>

Do your research >>

I've done mine, and I'm still more comfortable with having them in a bank safe deposit box as opposed to sitting in my house. The instances of bank inside jobs, outside people having the wrong box drilled open accidently, damage from any sources either internal or external to the bank, wrong access, etc, pales to the theft of items from residences.

What a lot of people probably don't realize, is that your items in your safe deposit box are NOT covered by FDIC up to xxx amount, like your deposit balances are. Additonally, they are not covered by the banks property insurance. In addition to keeping them in a safe deposit box, you would be well served to make sure YOU have insurance that covers your items in off-site locations.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

If so, I would not

Please expound. >>

Because DeNiro and the rest of the crew from Heat might show up? >>

classic post
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to get more worried about Ted than the cards. Any update there Rip?
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    nothing yet, going to a couple local stores today. I put out two more decoys to see what happens
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Do your research

great insight.......MORON

you have 11 posts and you come up here with half-witted quips with zero substance.

so tell me and anyone else why going to a safe deposit box is a bad idea. if you tell me that you work at a bank (i would guess on the night cleaning crew, picking up fast food wrappers in the parking lot or maybe pulling weeds as a landscaper) i will definitely stay away from that one.

done mine, and I'm still more comfortable with having them in a bank safe deposit box as opposed to sitting in my house. The instances of bank inside jobs, outside people having the wrong box drilled open accidently, damage from any sources either internal or external to the bank, wrong access, etc, pales to the theft of items from residences.

I concur Mike. If you have a 1/1 and your house burns down all insurance does is give you the money. If you wanted the money you would have not bought the card in the first place.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

One

Two

Bank boxes are pretty safe. Stored items should ALWAYS be
    insured by your own carrier. (Contents should be filmed, and
    receipts should be kept in a separate location.)

Crooked employees are a risk. That risk would increase during
    a time of local/national emergency.

Some govt entities can seize your box administratively; without
    a noticed judicial proceeding.

Private judgement-creditors can grab your box, following judicial
    grant of such authority.

Visible gun safes are good and provide adequate security against
    amateur burglars. They provide little/no protection against robbery.
    If the home invaders get the drop on you, you WILL open the safe.

Hidden - concrete encased - safes are the best. Generally, there
    are two ways to lose such a safe: 1 - Tell somebody you have
    it; 2 - Tell somebody where it is.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Heh, we just finished six + weeks of remodeling inside our house. I took what I thought were reasonable precautions, and so far I don't think anything is missing. BUT, as I've looked around the past week, I've started to think........where is this at and where is that at............it's all probably still in the house but this thread is going to go make me look for certain things.

The good stuff - the really good stuff - was locked away so I'm not worried about that.

I HATE reading threads like this. I hope you find the missing cards.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
    The issue with banks that a lot of people fail to realize is they are not theft proof. They are safer than home, of course, but they are far from theft proof. Plus, much more important, you never look at the cards if they are at the bank! I had my best cards in a safe deposit box for a few years and I literally saw them once during those years. Since I don't collect to enjoy, rather than for investment purposes, what's the point of that!? I want them at home where I can see them, show them to my kids, show them to my kid's friends, send a card to school for a kid's show-n-tell day, etc.... To me bank safe deposit boxes are for long term investments like GOLD or something like that. Since I have no gold I have no need for a safe deposit box!

I should add that the prospect of someone, like a contractor, stealing them reminds me of another reason I want to sell my cards. I have an irrational fear about my cards getting stolen more than anything else. I don't care if someone steals my car, which is worth more than my cards, because I have insurance.... I think my cards are insured but I worry much more about them getting stolen. It's not like they are one of a kind. It's funny how the mind works. I should add that Ted's situation sucks more becuase it's not enough money to file an insurance claim (I assume) so you are left without cool cards and without the money to replace them. Hopefully they are lost and will turn up!
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    In the future, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a nanny cam hidden somewhere in your collectibles room. When you know strangers are going to be in and out of your house, let the cameras roll.
  • NowPanicNowPanic Posts: 128 ✭✭
    I just had my home burglarized last week. That morning I had my 72 Topps BB PSA collection all over the place: kitchen table, living room floor, toilet.
    I guess the robbers pawn shop of choice doesn't deal in vintage cards.
    They actually had to move some off the compter.
    Are 72's that cold!?
    I just had my home burglarized last week. That morning I had my 72 Topps BB PSA collection all over the place: kitchen table, living room floor, toilet.
    I guess the robbers pawn shop of choice doesn't deal in vintage cards.
    They actually had to move some off the compter.
    Are 72's that cold!?

Sorry to hear that. At least you can laugh about it.
  • NowPanicNowPanic Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Well, considering the craziness that has encompassed our lives the past 9 years, we have almost become immune to really messed up situations. January 09 we had a car crash into our home, caused $70,000+ worth of damage. Lived in a Residence Inn for 3 months.
    So, this is just par for the course!
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That morning I had my 72 Topps BB PSA collection all over the place: kitchen table, living room floor, toilet. >>

Toilet?? LOL!! I mean sometimes I open my mail there, but still! Got a good laugh out of that one. image
  • Thanks

I hope you put all your treasures in there, only to find paper documents one day, if it ever comes to that ... MORON !!!!!!!!!!

Too bad you don't know too much about bank policies and federal regulations

<< <i>Do your research

you have 11 posts and you come up here with half-witted quips with zero substance.

so tell me and anyone else why going to a safe deposit box is a bad idea. if you tell me that you work at a bank (i would guess on the night cleaning crew, picking up fast food wrappers in the parking lot or maybe pulling weeds as a landscaper) i will definitely stay away from that one.

done mine, and I'm still more comfortable with having them in a bank safe deposit box as opposed to sitting in my house. The instances of bank inside jobs, outside people having the wrong box drilled open accidently, damage from any sources either internal or external to the bank, wrong access, etc, pales to the theft of items from residences.

I concur Mike. If you have a 1/1 and your house burns down all insurance does is give you the money. If you wanted the money you would have not bought the card in the first place. >>

• CCTV
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks

I hope you put all your treasures in there, only to find paper documents one day, if it ever comes to that ... MORON !!!!!!!!!!

Too bad you don't know too much about bank policies and federal regulations

<< <i>Do your research

I concur Mike. If you have a 1/1 and your house burns down all insurance does is give you the money. If you wanted the money you would have not bought the card in the first place. >>

>>

IMO, the whole point of these threads are for people who have the deep knowledge of the topic to share that knowledge. The people on these forums are great at passing along knowledge. When someone new comes in and writes something with nothing backing it up, it only causes animosity from the other board members. If you can give legitimate advice, please do so. Again, IMO.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    These cards have not shown up to my knowledge, and I have been searching. They must be SOMEWHERE