Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

High School Yearbook Thread - New: Dwight Clark (Sophomore)

The last couple months I have been picking up a lot high school yearbooks with sport (and non-sport) notables. Since I have a few shelfs already, I thought I would start a thread featuring them.

So welcome to my "High School Yearbook Thread." Everyday for the next couple months or so, I will post a high school yearbook photo/photos and including biographies of the notable.

I know I posted this the other day in the vintage signature thread, but due to Triplett's history of being first....it seemed appropriate.

1945 Cheltenham High School Yearbook (Wyncote, Pennsylvania..suburb of Philadelphia).

Former professional football player Wallace ("Wally") Triplett was born April 18, 1926.

Triplett attended Penn State University, where in 1946, along with Dennie Hoggard, was one of the first African-Americans to take the field in a varsity football game for the school, lettering in football from 1946 to 1948. At the time of Triplett's freshman season, many southern schools refused to compete against integrated schools unless they left their black players at home. During the 1946 season, Penn State's Nittany Lions team voted to cancel a regular-season game at the University of Miami, rather than compromise by not bringing their black players. In 1948, Triplett became the first African-American to play in the Cotton Bowl Classic, catching the game tying touchdown in a 13-13 tie with Southern Methodist University.

The Detroit Lions selected Wallace Triplett in the 19th round of the 1949 NFL Draft. Although he was third player chosen in the draft, the first year that any African-Americans were selected, he was the first of the draftees to take the field in an official league game. Triplett holds the Lions' single-game record in kickoff return yardage with 294 (second-highest total in NFL history), including a 97-yard touchdown return against the Los Angeles Rams in 1950; his average of 73.5 yards per return in that game is also an NFL record. He also set the Lions' record for the longest run from scrimmage with an 80-yard touchdown against the Green Bay Packers. Triplett played with the Detroit Lions in 1949 and 1950. Following the 1950 season, Triplett became the first NFL player drafted into the military service for the Korean War.

Following his return from active duty, Triplett was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals where he played in 1952 and 1953. After his playing days were over, Triplett worked as a school teacher, in the insurance business and in management for the Chrysler Corporation.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

Comments

• MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Another Korean War...sorry Korean Conflict, NFL Player.

The 1946 North Side High School (Fort Worth, Texas) Yearbook features a young man named Yale Lary, in a LOT of photos. Lary is shown in the Football Team group photo; has an individual Football Lettermen photo; is shown in the "A Squad" Football Team group photo; is shown in the "All American" Football Team group photo; is shown in the "B Squad" Basketball Team group photo; is shown on the track team jumping over hurdles with fellow track teammates; is shown in the Track Squad Team group photo; has a Sophomore Class yearbook photo; and is shown in the M Club group photo. The two images below show his Football Letterman photo and his Sophomore Class photo.

imageimage

Former professional football safety/punter Yale Lary was born November 24, 1930 in Fort Worth, Texas. Lary attended Texas A & M University and was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the 3rd round of the 1952 NFL Draft. Lary played his entire 11-year professional career in Detroit (1952-1953 & 1956-1964), missing the 1954 & 1955 NFL seasons while serving in the Army during the Korean War.

Lary played right safty, handled the team's punting duties and was made kick returns. At safety, Lary made 50 interceptions and might well have had many more had not opposition quarterbacks avoided throwing in his area. An outstanding punter, Lary won punting titles in 1959, 1961 and 1963 (missing his fourth by a razor thin margin) and his career average was 44.3 yards per punt, in 503 attempts.

"Kicking from the end zone, Yale invariably put the ball across midfield with enough hang time to let us cover the kick," team captain and Hall of Fame linebacker Joe Schmidt recalled. "He made our defense look good because he always gave us room to work."

A key player to three Lions championships (1952, 1953 & 1957), Lary was a 9-time Pro Bowl selection (1953, 1956-1962 & 1964) and a 9-time consecutive All-Pro selection (1956-1964). Lary was named an honorary member of the Pro Football Hall of Fames NFL 1950s All-Decade Team and was enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1979.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Saberhagen looked like Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool Mark! I have a few yearbooks from players I collect and have always found them to be very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing others from your collection.

abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Not directly "sports" but my cousin played high school football with Ice Cube at Taft High in the Valley (Los Angeles)... in fact, not to far from Cleveland High referenced above. My cousin is not into collectibles so I have Ice Cube's yearbook. Here's a photo from senior year:

• ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Was that Ice-cube pic from '86? I believe that's when the Excedrin thing happened.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    What a great thread

• << <i>Not directly "sports" but my cousin played high school football with Ice Cube at Taft High in the Valley (Los Angeles)... in fact, not to far from Cleveland High referenced above. My cousin is not into collectibles so I have Ice Cube's yearbook. Here's a photo from senior year:

image >>

I thought Ice Cube was straight outta Compton? image
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought Ice Cube was straight outta Compton? image >>

His hair was. The rest of him, including his classmates, were Straight Outta Bayside.

Cube was bussed from south central to Woodland Hills. I am sure it was an hour bus ride each way. An extremely safe place as far as LA goes. Not quite the gangsta lifestyle be portrayed. Class of '87.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the senior year Aberdeen HS Yearbooks from Cal Jr., Sr. & Billy, but when I purchased Cal Jr.'s HS Yearbook back in '88 from a classmate of his, it included this "bonus" 8x10 B&W picture (kind of like "Where's Waldo [or Cal]?")...I hereby present the Aberdeen (MD) High School Class of 1978!

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Great Thread !

Blake DeWitt Dodgers (I dont own the yearbook)

imageimageimage
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Where's Waldo [or Cal]?" >>

Something tells me he might by in the number "8". image
  • That photo of Cube was used in a before / after thing in a hip hop magazine I had a while back.

<< <i>Not directly "sports" but my cousin played high school football with Ice Cube at Taft High in the Valley (Los Angeles)... in fact, not to far from Cleveland High referenced above. My cousin is not into collectibles so I have Ice Cube's yearbook. Here's a photo from senior year:

image >>

Cal Ripken Sr.; Aberdeen HS Class of 1953:

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    very cool thread
    can't wait to see the rest
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific thread, looking forward to seeing more...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
    1970 Eastmoor High School (now Eastmoor Academy) Yearbook (Columbus, Ohio), titled "Shield." This was the Sophomore year for future Ohio State 2-time Heisman and NFL runningback Archie Griffin.

Beside the photos below, there is a listing in the track section on school records. Archie is listed here as one of the school co-holder of the Shot Put Relay record.

College and professional football star halfback Archie Griffin was born August 21, 1954 in Columbus, Ohio. Griffin attended Ohio State University where he played NCAA college football with the OSU Buckeye's from 1972 to 1975. Griffin led the Buckeyes in rushing as a freshman in '72 with 867 yards, but his numbers exploded the following year with the team's conversion to the I-formation. He rushed for 1,428 yards in the regular season as a sophomore, 1,620 as a junior, 1,357 as a senior. Overall, Griffin rushed for 5,589 yards on 924 carries in his four seasons with the Buckeyes (1972-1975), then an NCAA record. He collected a total 6,559 all-purpose yards and scored 26 touchdowns. For his efforts, Griffin was awarded the 1974 and the 1975 Heisman Trophy, among other honors, and is still college football's only two-time winner of the award.

The Cincinnati Bengals selected Archie Griffin in the 1st round (24th pick overall) in the 1976 NFL Draft. Griffin played for the Cincinnati Bengals from 1976 to 1982. During his 7 NFL seasons, he rushed for 2808 yards and 7 touchdowns, and caught 192 passes for 1607 yards and 6 touchdowns. Griffin finished his professional career playing briefly with the Jacksonville Bulls in the USFL. Currently the President and CEO of Ohio State University Alumni Association. Inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1986.

<< <i>Not directly "sports" but my cousin played high school football with Ice Cube at Taft High in the Valley (Los Angeles)... in fact, not to far from Cleveland High referenced above. My cousin is not into collectibles so I have Ice Cube's yearbook. >>

I just discovered that Pete LaCo*k also went to Taft HS.

Anyone have his yearbook?
    I didn't know about Pete La... going to Taft. They had a fair number of athletes that I know of: Robin Yount, Gabe Kapler, Larry Dierker, Jordan Farmar, and Olympian Quincy Watts (who I played pick up basketball with one morning... dude was fast!). A friend of mine was assistant coach when Kapler was on the team.
    1985 Los Alamitos High School Yearbook (Los Alamitos, California), titled (inside) "Cottonwood."

This high school yearbook has in it future Major League Baseball stars and prospects J. T. Snow, Robb Nen and Mike Kelly. (Also in the yearbook is singler/actress Susan Egan. )

Former professional baseball first baseman Jack Thomas "J. T." Snow, Jr. was born February 26, 1968 in Long Beach, California. Snow attended the University of Arizona and was selected by the New York Yankees in the 5th round of the 1989 MLB Amateur Draft. He played for the New York Yankees (1992), the California Angels (1993-1996), the San Francisco Giants (1997-2005, 2008), and the Boston Red Sox (2006). Snow was a six-time consecutive Gold Glove Award winner (1995-2000). He was a key member of the San Francisco Giants team that played the New York Mets in the 2000 National League Division Series and represented the NL in the 2002 World Series.

Former professional baseball pitcher Robert "Rob" Allen Nen was born November 28, 1969 in San Pedro, California. The Texas Rangers selected Rob Nen in the 1987 MLB Amateur Draft. Nen made his Major League debut on April 10, 1993 and played for the Texas Rangers (1993), the Florida Marlins (1993-1997) and the San Francisco Giants (1998-2002). Nen was a 3-time All-Star selection (1998, 1999 & 2002) and a key member of the Marlins' bullpen that won the 1997 World Series.

Former professional baseball player Michael Raymond Kelly was born June 2, 1970 in Los Angeles, California. Kelly was drafted by the Atlanta Braves in the 1st round of the 1991 MLB Draft. He played for the Atlanta Braves (1994-1995), the Cincinnati Reds (1996-1997), the Tampa Bay Devil Rays during it's 1998 inaugural season, and the Colorado Rockies (1999). Kelly was the 1990 Rotary Smith Award winner (given to the most outstanding college baseball player of the year) and the 1991 Golden Spikes Award winner, which is given annually to the best amateur baseball player.

Varsity Baseball Team Photo with Snow and Kelly. Nen, perhaps the most success professionally, was on the Junior Varsity Team at the time. Kelly was just a freshman which shows the talent he had as a kid. Snow and Kelly appear to be the smallest members on the team (?).

Actress/singer Susan Egan was born February 18, 1970 in Seal Beach, California. Egan is best known for her work on the Broadway stage. In 1992, Egan played "Belle" on the orginal Broadway cast of Beauty and the Beast. Egan was nominted for Tony Award and a Drama Desk Award. She also played "Maria" in The Sound of Music (1996), "Molly Brown" in The Unsinkable Molley Brown (2002) and "Millie" in Through Modern Millie (2004). Egan has also lent her voice for the Disney animated feature, Hercules, the Disney/Square Enix video game Kingdom Hearts II and the english language version of Spirited Award and Porco Rosso, two feature films by Japanses animator Hayao Miyazaki.

1943 Highland Park High School Yearbook (University Park, Texas), titled "Highlander."
    Features Doak Walker, Bobby Layne and future Astronaut Elliot M. See.

Doak Walker and Bobby Layne would play together later in the NFL with the Detroit Lions, leading the Lions to four divisional titles and two NFL championships.

During 1942-43, Walker and Layne were part of the varsity football team that went undefeated in season play, (winning 4 games by more then 50 pts.), fought a 0-0 tie in bi-district championship game, but finished the season with a 15-7 loss to Sunset, which appears to have been a school challenge.

The varsity basketball team started slow, with a first year coach, but finished the season with big games and won the regional championship, but like the football team, it lost in the first round of the state finals.

The varsity baseball team was less successful, losing it's first five games before turning it around down the stretch to end with a 6-5 record.

Walker and Layne would play one more year together. I do not have that yearbook, but it might be interesting to see how the school did.

Bobby Layne Varsity Football, Varsity Basketball and striking out in Varsity Baseball.

Former professional football quarterback Robert Lawrence "Bobby" Layne was December 19, 1926 in Santa Anna, Texas. Layne attended the University of Texas where he played NCAA college football with the Texas Longhorns from 1944 to 1947 earning All-Southwest Conference honors each season. In the 1946 Cotton Bowl Classic, Layne accounted for every point in the game, scoring four touchdowns, kicking four extra points and throwing for two others scores. Selected by the Chicago Bears in the 1st round (3rd pick overall) in the 1948 NFL Draft and with the 2nd overall pick by the Baltimore Colts in the 1948 AAFC Draft. Layne played for the Chicago Bears (1948), the New York Bulldogs (1949), the Detroit Lions (1950-1958) and the Pittsburgh Steelers (1958-1962. The 5-time Pro Bowl selection (1951-1953, 1956 & 1959), finished his career with 1,814 completions for 26,768 yards, 196 TDs; 2,451 yards rushing; and 372 points scored. Layne was selected as an honorary member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's 1950s All-Decade Team and was inducted into the Pro Football Fame in 1967 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 1968. Bobby Layne died on December 1, 1986 at the age of 59.

Doak Walker with other H Asssociation club members. Walker is the first one in the top row setting down.

Former professional football running back Ewell Doak Walker, Jr. was born January 1, 1927 in Dallas, Texas. Walker attended Southern Methodist University where he played NCAA college football with the SMU Mustanges in 1945 and from 1947 to 1949 where he became one of the greatest college players ever. This running-passing-kicking triple threat was named All-American each year from 1947 to 1949 and won the 1948 Heisman Trophy as well as MVP honors in both the 1948 and the 1949 Cottom Bowl Classic. The Detroit Lions selected Doak Walker in the 1st round (3rd pick overall) in the 1949 NFL Draft. Walker played for the Detoit Lions from 1950-1955, earning both Pro Bowl selections and an All-Pro selection, in five of his six playing years (1950-1951, 1953-1955). The only season Walker did not make the Pro Bowl, he helped lead the Lions to the 1952 title game where he ran 67 yards for the game winning touchdown. Doak was a do-everything contributor for the Lions. His career chart shows entries in every possible statistical category – rushing, passing, receiving, punt and kickoff returns, punting, place-kicking and even interceptions. Because he did so many things, his career figures are not overly impressive except in the scoring column, where he scored 534 points and won two NFL scoring titles. The Detroit Lions have retired Walker's #37 jersey number and he was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1959 and into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1986. Died September 27, 1998 in Steamboat, Colorado the age of 71. He is immortalized by the Doak Walker Award, first awarded in 1990, which honors the United States's top college football running back.

Varsity Football Team. First person in second row is Walker. Layne is fourth from the end in the third row, big 71.

Varsity Basketball Team. Second to last in first row is Walker. Directly behind him, the third from the end person or second from the end player, is Layne.

Varsity Baseball Team. Walker is the first person in the first row and Layne is the last person in the first row.

See is shown in two group photos, but I am unsure which he is, so I didn't scan them.

Former Astronaut Elliott McKay See, Jr. was born July 23, 1927 in Dallas, Texas. See was one of nine pilot astronauts selected in September 1962 as part of the second group of Astronauts. Before joining NASA, See worked for General Electric from 1949 to 1953 and an experimental test pilot/flight test engineer from 1956-1962. See acted as backup pilot for Gemini 5 and was in line to fly as Prime Crew Pilot for Gemini 8 but was promoted to be the Command Pilot of Gemini 9 . However, he and Pilot Charles Bassett were killed on February 28, 1966, when their T-38 trainer jet crashed into McDonnell Aircraft Building 101, known as the McDonnell Space Center in St. Louis, Missouri, before Gemini 9 flew. Building 101 was where the Gemini spacecraft was built, and they were going there to train for two weeks in a simulator. Ironically, they died within 500 feet (150 m) of their spacecraft.

1944 La Salle College High School Yearbook (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), titled "Blue and Gold."

Sophomore year for future NBA HOF'er Paul Arizin, who attended this Christian school.
    Arizin appears in the yearbook with his classroom, "Sophomore E."

And in the 1945 yearbook, Arizin is in his classroom, Junior Class "3F."

Arizin did not play basketball (or other sports it appears) in high school and does not have many yearbook images. According to Arizin he did try out for the high school basketball team, but did not make it.

Guess he was late bloomer.

Former professional basketball player Paul Arizin was born April 9, 1928 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. A high-scoring star from Villanova University, Arizin, the 1950 Collegiate Player of the Year (POY) was drafted in 1950 by the Philadelphia Warriors of the fledgling NBA. He played for the Philadelphia Warriors (1950-1962) and the Camden Bullets (1962-1965). "Pitchin' Paul" played in 10 NBA All-Star Games, earning 1952 NBA All-Star Game Most Valuable Player honors and was named All-NBA First-Team three times (1952, 1956 and 1957).

Famous for his line-drive jump shots, Arizin teamed with center Neil Johnston to form of one of the best offensive pairs of all-time, leading the Warriors to the 1956 NBA Championship title, and making Arizin one could agrue, the greatest NBA player of the 1950s.

Arizin retired with 2,665 asists; 6,129 rebounds; and the third highest career point total (16,266) in NBA history, despite setting out the 1952–53 and 1953–54 NBA seasons due to military service in the Korean War. Arizin was enshrined into the Basketball Hall of Fame (HOF) in 1978, and was inducted at the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame during in it's 2004 inaugural class.

Paul Arizin died in his sleep on December 13, 2006 in Springfield, Pennsylvania.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Cool stuff Mark - I like reading these
    reposted
    reposted
    I realize this picture pre-dates HS by a few years, but anyone who grew up in the 60's/70's recalls these awkward class pictures.....Can anyone pick out the future Ironman in 3rd Grade?

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

Do you happen to have a Michael Jordan high school yearbook? If so, would you mind scanning some of the pics in high resolution and sending them to me? I want to make a custom cut autographed card out of a Jordan cut I have.

Thanks,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs

<< <i>Mark,

Do you happen to have a Michael Jordan high school yearbook? If so, would you mind scanning some of the pics in high resolution and sending them to me? I want to make a custom cut autographed card out of a Jordan cut I have.

Thanks,

Mike >>

Sorry Mike, but I do not have any of Jordan's yearbooks.

I have actually only been collecting YBs about two months now. I was able to flip a couple of them pretty fast...and have gotten kind of carried away since.
    This is one of my favorite threads in a long time.

I went looking through my wife's high school yearbooks over the weekend as she was a few years ahead of Derrick Lee at El Camino High (Sacramento). Turns out he was a freshman when my wife was a senior and we can't find her senior yearbook. I will find it eventually!
    1958 Howland High School Yearbook (Warren, Ohio), titled "Scroll."

This was the 7th grade school year for future 5-time Olympian Willie Davenport, who is shown in this yearbook on page 68 in his "7-1" classroom group photo.

The following year, Davenport would try out for the school's track team.

Former Olympic athlete William "Willie" D. Davenport was born June 8, 1943 in Troy, Alabama. Having joined the Army after high school, a 19-year old Davenport caused a track sensation winning the 110 metres hurdles at the 1964 Olympic Final Trials, and finishing ahead of both Hayes Jones, winner of six AAU titles and 55 consecutive indoor races, and Blaine Lindgren, winner of the previous Pan-American Games. Elimated after sustaining a thigh injury in Tokyo, Davenport enrolled at Southern University and won the AAU national titles in 1965, 1966, and 1967, and tied for first place in 1969. At the 1968 Olympics in Mexico, "Breeze" took the gold medal in the 110 metres hurdles and at Zurich, Switzerland in 1969, he tied the world record of 13.2. He finished fourth in the event in 1972 at München and brought home the silver in 1976 from Montréal.

In 1980, Davenport competed in the 4-man bobsled in the 1980 Winter Olympics, becoming only the fourth American to compete in both Summer and Winter sets of Olympic Games. He later served as an athlete’s representative to the U.S. Olympic Committee.

Although Davenport would joke about the financial shortfall of all his Olympic glory, that a bobsled victory might finally put him "on a Wheaties box somewhere," he clearly treasured all his experiences as an Olympian.

"It was worth it," he said. "I have 20/20 hindsight like everyone else, but there's very little I would change in my life. Each time I was in the Summer Olympics, it was a unique experience. Being in the Winter Olympics was just as unique."

After his Olympic years, he returned to military duty where he rose to the rank of Colonel in the Army National Guard. Davenport coached the All-Army men's and women's track teams to an unprecedented four undefeated seasons from 1993 to 1996 and was responsible for getting the National Guard's sports program validated by the Army so that it could receive government funding.

Willie Davenport died on June 17, 2002 at Chicago's O'Hara International Airport from a heart attack.

I wonder if Schreiber wore those pimpin' shades under his helmet.
    1989 Apopka High School Yearbook (Apopka, Orange County, Florida), titled "Darder" and subtitled "We Build Excitement."

This was the Sophomore high school year for Warren Sapp, who would grow on to become of the NFL greatest players of all-time....and I do mean grow. While Sapp a 15-year old appears almost man-size, he looks nothing like the monster in size and force he would become.

This smaller, more limber Sapp, was a member of the Junior Varsity Basketball team at the start of the 1988-89 school year, but would get promoted to the Varsity Team. This was the first year for an Apopka Freshman Basketball team. It's coach, Tim Bridges noted, "These players are just scrating the surface of what they might be." It appears he was right with at least one player.

Sapp is missing from the football teams. Promoted to Varsity he obviously showed some basktball talent over those around him. And if there is one name that says basketball in 1989, it is of course Michael Jordan. It might be fair to say that Sapp had hoop dreams. Who could blame him. Jordan made it look so easy.

Junior Varsity Basketball Team. Sapp is the last player in the front row. Compare the size of Sapp with the coach.

JV "Warren Sapp takes a defender out of position."

Varsity Basketball Team. Sapp is (again) the last player in the front row.

Former professional football defensive tackle Warren Harrison Sapp was born December 19, 1972 in Orlando, Florida. Sapp attended the University of Miami in Coral Gabels where he played NCAA college football with the Miami Hurricanes and was converted to a defensive lineman. During his 1995 senior season, Sapp was named the Big East Defensive Player of the Year and was awarded the Nagurski Trophy (best defensive player in the nation), the Rotary Lombardi Award (best lineman or linebacker) and the Bill Willis Award (best defensive lineman), among other honors.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected Warren Sapp in the 1st round (12th pick overall) in the 1995 NFL Draft. Sapp played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1995 to 2003 and the Oakland Raiders from 2004 to 2007. His 96.5 career sacks are the second-highest career total sacks for a defensive tackle and the 28th highest overall for a defensive lineman. His 77 sacks with the Buccaneers is second in the team's history. During Sapp's career, he was at times the source of some controversy because of his hard-hitting style of play and his occasional verbal outbursts, both on the field and off. Some of these resulted in NFL fines, and he was once ejected from a game for unsportsmanlike conduct. Sapp is a 7-time Pro Bowl selection (1997-2003), a 4-time First-team All-Pro selection (1999-2002), the 1999 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and an honorary member of both the Pro Football Hall of Fame's NFL 1990s All-Decade Team and the NFL 2000s All-Decade Team.

In 2008, Warren Sapp, paired with dancer Kym Johnson, and came in 2nd place on Season 7 of ABC's Dancing with the Stars.

1961 Compton Senior High School Yearbook (Compton, California), titled "El Companile."

In the Senior class of this year is future NFL star, Roy Jefferson. (Perhaps the most undervalued late 60s-early 70s NFL player?)

One of the school's more athletic gifted students, Jefferson was co-captain of the Varsity Football Team, a member of the Varisty Basketball team that won the State Championship and a member of the Varsity Track Team. He was also the secretary of the Boys Federation Club and a member of the Senior Council Representatives.

Whenever I see a student that is part of several varsity sports and school organizations, I think back to the student that best fits that description in the halls I walked. Mike Steele, whose name I may not be spelling right. Steele was the school's running back and he was a force. I can't remember how I met Mike, since he was three grades up, but we knew each somewhat, and I remember saying hello a couple times in school, but that was about it. One of my better friends in high school was a popular student a couple grades up, so I amazingly went to almost all the parties. My guess is we talked somewhere along these parties.

I met Steele at a local Fur Resturant about 10 years ago, and he recognized me, and how I do not know. We mentioned a few things we were up to at the time. I was doing a lot of internet contract work at the time, which Steele found interesting and expressed interest in help on a poetry website. Yes, the school's #1 jock was now a poet.

Where is my point in all of this? In Hollywood and popular culture, we tend to think of the school jock as a dumb bully. Steele was everything but that....and Jefferson also appears to be everything but that. In every photo he has, Jefferson is smiling bigger then everyone else. It makes me want to believe he was this happy-go student...with a lot of talent. Someone, who might recognize me at Furs.

Senior Council Representatives.

Jefferson from the above.

Boys Federation Club, Jefferson is in the back row, the fourth from the end.

Jefferson photo from above.

Varsity Football Team Group Photo.

Varsity starters. Jefferson is the last in the first row.

Co-Captain Jefferson with coach.

"Stop that man! Compton's defense led by Jefferson, Woods and Brown, close in on an L. B. Poly back."

About to stop a play on or near the line.

Grabbing the ball out of the hands of the defender. (What, did he play lineman, cornerback and receiver?)

Varsity Basketball Team Group Photo.

Varsity Basketball Team, Jefferson Photo.

Jefferson, the track star.

Former professional football wide receiver Roy Lee Jefferson was born November 9, 1943 in Texarkana, Arkansas. Jefferson attended the University of Utah where he was named the Western Athletic Conference Player of the Year during his senior season. The San Diego Chargers selected Roy Jefferson in the 2nd round (14th pick overall) of the 1965 AFL Draft and the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted him in the 2nd round (18th pick overall) of the NFL Draft. Jefferson chose the NFL and played for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1965-1969), the Baltimore Colts (1970) and the Washington Redskins (1971-1976).

In 1968, Jefferson made 58 receptions for a league leading 1,074 yards and 11 touchdowns. In 1969, he finished with 67 receptions for 1,079 yards and 9 touchdowns and became the first Steelers receiver to post back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. Despite being the Steelers best offensive player, conflicts with head coach Chuck Noll would result in Jefferson being traded. After leaving Pittsburgh, the 3-time Pro Bowl selection (1968-1969 & 1971) would help the Colts make it to Super Bowl V and the Redskins to Super Bowl VII.

Following his retiring from football, Jefferson remained in the Washington, D.C. area owning a chain of barbecue restaurants and working for various charities.

In 2007, Jefferson was named to the Pittsburgh Steelers Legends team as one of the best 24 Steelers players prior to 1970.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I should borrow one of my sister's yearbooks and post some stuff of Lawyer Milloy and Jon Kitna
    2001 Bella Vista High School Yearbook (Fair Oaks, California)
    Attending this school and in this yearbook is future MLS soccer player Steve Cronin, who is in the Senior class.

Cronin was captain of the Varsity Soccer Team and was very active with his school appearing the yearbook a number of times.

He is shown with his date as Homecoming King (page 15); is listed in the "Lord Court" roster for the Senior vs. Faculty Basketball Game (page 41); in the Varsity Soccer Team group photo (page 52); has a Senior Class yearbook photo (page 210) and in a posed photo for being named the Most Athletic Male (page 233). Fellow MLS player Peter Lowry is a sophomore at this school at the time, but I did not find any images of him.

Professional soccer goalkeeper Steve Cronin was born May 28, 1983 in Sacramento, California Cronin attended Santa Clara University where he played NCAA college soccer with the Santa Clara Broncos from 2001 to 2003. In 2001, Cronin pulled double duty playing offense and defense. He started 10 games as a goalkeeper and six in the field, finishing the season with a 0.79 goals against average. For the next two years, Cronin remained solely in goal, starting 27 matches and was named first-team All-West Coast Conference in 2002.

After playing for the US national team in the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship, Cronini was selected by the San Jose Earthquakes in the 1st round (10th pick overall) in the 2004 MLS SuperDraft. Stuck behind two competent goalkeepers, Cronin was traded to the Los Angeles Galaxy in the 2005 off-season. He became the Galaxy's starting goalkeeper in January 2008 and would help lead the team win the 2005 MLS Cup.

Cronin signed a multi-year deal with the Galaxy after the 2008 MLS season, but was transferred to the Portland Timbers in Febuary 2009. Cronin appeared in 41 games for Portland, helping the team to the USL First Division Commissioner's Cup and earning USL First Division All-League First-Team honors, before being loaned to the D.C. United in October 2009, where he finished the 2009 MLS season.
    2000 Long Beach Polytechnic High School Yearbook (Long Beach, California), titled "Caerulea."
    Attending this school and in this yearbook are future NFL players Winston Justice, Marcedes Lewis, Pago Togafau and Manny Wright, who are all in the Sophomore class.

It is not unusual to find multiple sport players in a yearbook. It is unusual to find multiple sport players of the same sport in one classroom.

Long Beach Polytechnic High School is considered a sports prep school. While 2000, would be a banner year for most schools, it was school as usual for Long Beach.

The Varsity Basketball Team won the CIF Division IAA League Championship the second year in a row and the Varsity Football Team won its second CIF Division I title in three years. The future notables in this yearbook, are part of the Frosh-Soph Football Team, victors in the Moore League Championship.

Professional football offensive lineman Winston Frederick Justice was born September 14, 1984 in Long Beach, California. Justice attended the University of Southern California where he played NCAA college football with the USC Trojans. Reguarded as one of the best tackles to come from the school, Justice blocked for three Heisman Trophy winners (Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush).

The Philadelphia Eagles selected Winston Justice early in the 2nd round of the 2006 NFL Draft. Justice has played with the Eagles since 2006, and signed a four-year contract extension in November 2009. He became the Eagles full-time right tackle starter after Shawn Andrews was placed on injured reservue in September 2009.

Professional football tight end Marcedes Alexis Lewis was born May 19, 1984 in Los Alamitos, California. Lewis attended the University of California, Los Angeles where he played played NCAA football with the Bruines under coach Bob Toledo (2002) and coach Karl Dorrell (2003-2005), appearing in 49 games while starting 32. During his 2005 Senior season, Lewis made 58 receptions for 741 yards and 10 touchdowns, earning the 2005 John Mackey Award for the best tight end in college football, and making the 2005 All-American Team. Lewis ranks ninth on the school’s overall career-record list and first among tight ends with 126 receptions, holding the UCLA tight end all-time records with 1,571 yards receiving and 21 touchdowns.

The Jacksonville Jaguars selected Marcedes Lewis in the first round, 28th pick overall, in the 2006 NFL Draft. Since 2006, Lewis has been a key member of Jaguars offense.

Professional football linebacker Pago F. Togafau was born January 10, 1984 in Long Beach, California. Togafau attended Idaho State where he was a First-team All-Big Sky selection in 2005 and 2006.

The Arizona Cardinals signed Pago Togafau as an undrafted free agent in April 2007. Released after training camp. Togafau was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles in September 2007, where he would appear in seven games in the '07 season. Released from the Eagles and signed by the New Orleans Saints to their practice squad in November 2008. Resigned by the Arizona Cardinals in February 2009 as an exclusive rights free agent. Signed by the Tennessee Titans in March 2010.

Former professional football offensive/defensive lineman Manuel "Manny" Wright was born April 13, 1984 in Compton, California. Wright attended the University of Southern California where he played NCAA college football with the USC Trojans. As a back-up in 2004, Wright made 23 tackles, including six for losses, and was an All-Pac-10 honorable mention.

The Miami Dolphins selected Manny Wright in the 5th round of the 2005 NFL Supplemental Draft. Wright played for the Miami Dolphins from 2005 to 2006, was signed and waved by the Buffalo Bills in May 2007 and signed with the New York Giants in August 2007. In 2007, Wright appears in six games and was a member fo the Giants' Super Bowl XLII Championship team.

In 2008, Wright signed with the AF2 (an Arena Football League development league) and was assigned to the Stockton Lightning, but would never play for the league.
    1980 Garden Grove High School Yearbook (Garden Grove, California), titled "Argonaut."

Attending this school and in the Junior class is future MLB star Lenny Dykstra.

Lenny Dykstra Junior class photo.

Baseball Club group photo. Lenny Dykstra is the fifth person in the second row. His brother, Brian Dystra, is a senior at the school and is the last person in the first row. Both Dykstra brothers played on the school's Varsity Baseball Team.

Eating lunch with friends. Dykstra is the fourth student with his thumb up.

imageimage
    Hanging out with friends, and Varsity Baseball individual photo.

Former professional baseball player Leonard Kyle (Lenny) Dykstra was born February 10, 1963 in Santa Ana, California. Dykstra played for the New York Mets from 1985 to 1989 and the Philadelphia Phillies from 1989 to 1996. Nicknamed "Nails" for his tough-as-nails personality and fearless play, Dykstra replaced an injured Mookie Wilson in 1985 and would serve as the team's center fielder and leadoff hitter, moving to left field after the Mets released George Foster in 1986.

Dykstra will forever be remembered for his walk off home run in Game 3 of the 1986 World Series, which is considered one of the biggest hits in Mets franchise history and the definitive moment of Dykstra's career. Following Dykstra's home run, the Mets rallied to defeat the Red Sox in seven games in one of the most memorable Fall Classics of all time. With the Phillies in 1990, Dykstra started in the All-Star Game, led the league in hits, and finished fourth in batting average. He was batting over .400 into June. Dykstra was a 3-time All-Star selection (1990, 1994 & 1995) and a 1993 Silver Slugger Award winner.

The last couple years have not been kind to Dykstra. In 2009, he sought Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, citing liabilities of $37.1 million and assets of $24.6 million, and is still awaiting the court's decision. Dysktra's Los Angeles mansion is in foreclosure and his wife is suing him for divorce.

Added to the Dykstra fire, a former employee filed charges in March 2010, that Dykstra groped her breasts and tried to push her down on the bed with him.

Dykstra 2010 Court Charges from Smoking Gun

1935 Woodrow Wilson High School Yearbook (Dallas, Texas), titled "The Crusader."
    This was the Senior high school year for the 1939 Heisman Trophy winner Davey O'Brien, who attended this school, and is listed as David O'Brien.

O'Brien is shown in the Student Council Fall Term group photo; the Student Council Spring Term group photo; the National Honor Society group photo; the "Football Squad" group photo; and individual football photo, noted as the team's quarterback and Captain; is mentioned dozens of times in game write-ups for the 1934-35 football season; is shown in the Baseball Squad, noted as the team's Captain; is shown in the Basketball Squad and has a full page photo at the back of the book labeled "School Favorite."

Student Council Fall Term

Student Council Spring Term

Baseball Squad

Baseball Squad team Captain, Davey O' Brien from above.

Football Squad

Football Squad team Captain, Davey O'Brien from above.

Basketball Squad

Davey O' Brien from Basketball Squad photo. (He's not the Captain...but he setting beside the Captain.)

O'Brien individual photo in what was at the time, full football gear. Has a neat prophetic write-up. "David's outstanding playing was the greatest factor of the success of our team. He was elected captain of the Wildcats, and was chosen on several all-city and all-state teams. He will undoubtedly be an outstanding college player."

Former collegiate and professional quarterback star Robert David O'Brien was born June 22, 1917 in Fort Worth, Texas.

O'Brien attended Texas Christian University where he played NCAA college football with the TCU Horned Frogs. As a freshman and sophomore, he served as the team's back to future Pro Football Hall of Fame member Sammy Baugh. In 1937, O'Brien became the starter, and made 237 passing attempts for 96 completions and 5 touchdowns, earnng first-team All-Southwest Conference honors.

In 1938, "Shotgun" O’Brien threw for 1,457 passing yards, a Southwest Conference record that stood for ten years, and 19 touchdowns. He had only four interceptions in 194 passing attempts, and set the NCAA record for most rushing and passing plays in a single-season. The Horned Frogs finished the 1938 season undefeated and with a victory in the 1939 Super Bowl earning the National Championship title. For his efforts, O'Brien was presented with the Maxwell Award and the Heisman Trophy, annual awards given to the nation's top college athlete.

The Philadelphia Eagles selected David O'Brien in the 1st round (4th pick overall) of the 1939 NFL Draft. O'Brien played for the Eagles from 1939 to 1941. In his first season in the NFL, he led the NFL in passing yards as a rookie with 1,324 yards in 11 games, breaking his old TCU teammate Sammy Baugh's single season passing yardage record. In 1940, he again led the league in several passing categories including attempts and completions, but would chose to retire after the season.

O'Brien was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1955 and the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 1956.

1956 Lowell High School Yearbook (San Francisco, California), titled "Red and White."
    In the Junior class of this yearbook, is future NBA star Tom Meschery.

1955-56 Lowell Varsity Basketball Team.

Tom Meschery from above.

Lowell started it's 1955 season with a 33-26 win against Mission. Senior Tom Meschery scored 13 pts. in the win.

The second game was a nailbiter, with the Washington leading 20-19 at halftime. Meschery led Lowell with 23 pts. to comeback and win 49-44.

Game three likely felt like a replay, Lowell down 16-20 at the half rallied to win 51-33 against Lincoln.

The next game was hardly what one would call a competition. Lowell took an early lead and benched all it's starters in a 55-39 slaughter. Meschery retired with 16 pts.

Lowell 66 - Galileo 42, Meschery with 20 pts.

Lowell 42 - Balboa 28, Meschery 13 pts.

The word undefeated left the students mind in the 7th game with after a 40-46 loss to Polytechnic.

In the final game of the regular season, St. Ignatius delivered a 28-44 loss to Lowell. Meschery scored 15 pts., but failed to contain his opponent.

Lowell ended its season with a respectable 6-2 record and was playoff bound. However, of the eve of the regionals, officials discovered that an ineligible player had participated in three of Lowell's victories. The officials ruled that Lowell would forfeit the three games and handed the team a 3-5 record, 5th place in the final AAA standings.

It was the first time since 1947 that Lowell failed to attend the playoffs.

imageimage

imageimage

Lowell is the oldest running United States school west of the Mississippi. 1975 was it's centennial anniversary. It is not explained in the yearbook, but I am guessing that is the reason for the extra "100" added to the Lowell player's jersey's above.

Former professional basketball player Thomas Nicholas "Tom" Meschery was born as Tomislav Nikolayevich Meshcheryakov, on October 26, 1938 in Manchuria, China, to Russian refuge parents. The Mescheriakovs later changed their name to Meschery to avoid the stigma of being Russian during the escalating Cold War and Tom saw sports as a way to gain acceptance.

Tom Meschery was selected by the Philadelphia Warriors in the 1st round (7th pick overall) in the 1961 NBA Draft, becoming the league's first Russian player. Meschery played with the Philadelphia/San Francisco Warriors (now the Golden State Warriors) from 1961-62 to 1966-67, playing alongside Wilt Chamberlain, and the Seattle SuperSonics from 1967-68 to 1970-71, joining the expansion franchise in it's inaugural year.

Noted as one of the toughest in the NBA, Meschery led the league in personal fouls in 1962 and played in the 1963 NBA All-Star Game, becoming the first international player to play an All-Star game. His jersey, number 14, has been retired retired by the Golden State Warriors.

Meschery's basketball jersey hangs in McKeon Pavilion on campus. He has been inducted into the St Mary's Hall of Fame (HOF) and the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame (2003 induction).

After Meschery retired as a player, he spent a year coaching the ABA Carolina Cougars. He has also authored three books and is a Nevada Writers Hall of Fame member.

1942 Elston High School Yearbook (Michigan City, Indiana), titled "Elstonian."
    Attending this school and in the Junior Class, is future NFL player and coach Abe Gibron.

Gibron is shown is his Junior class yearbook photo (page 26) and is listed as a member of the "Senior Band" (page 62). Gibron is the only future NFL player I know of that during high school was not a member of sports, but instead a band member.

Former professional football offensive lineman and coach Abraham "Abe" Gibron was born September 22, 1925 in Michigan City, Indiana. After a stint in the military, Gibron played football at Valparaiso University, before transferring to Purdue University, where he was a two-time letterman.

Abe Gibron was selected by the Buffalo Bills in the 1st round of the 1949 AAFC secret draft, and by the New York Giants in the sixth round of the 1949 NFL Draft. Gibron played for the Buffalo Bills (1949), the Cleveland Browns (1950-1956), the Philadelphia Eagles (1956-1957) and the Chicago Bears (1958-1959). During his seven years in Cleveland, the 4-time Pro Bowl selection played guard on offense and nose guard on defense, helping the Browns to six NFL Championship games, and winning three of them (1950, 1954 & 1955).

Following his career as player, Gibron served as an assistant coach for the Washington Redskins from 1961 to 1964 and for the Chicago Bears from 1965 to 1971. Promoted to the head coach position of the Bears on January 27, 1972, Gibron held the position for three years, before being released after the 1974 season and a 11-30-1 record. To start the weekly Monday news conferences he held while head coach of the Bears, Gibron would typically raise a shot of whiskey and say, ''All right, everything is on the record until this touches my lips, and the minute it touches my lips, everything is off the record.''

In 1975, Gibron was the head coach of the World Football League's Chicago Winds, the following year he joined the expansion team the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where he served as an assistant coach for nine seasons.

He played at 5 feet 11 inches and 250 pounds, with unbelievable quickness. Later, with his love of eating, he weighed well over 300 pounds, and two teammates on the Browns told why. ''Every time you went to dinner,'' Lou Groza told The Chicago Tribune, ''it was a banquet.'' And as Dante Lavelli said, ''He used to eat until 2 o'clock in the morning.''

In 1985, Gibron was scouting for the Seattle Seahawks, when Sam Wyche, then coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, accused Chuck Knox, then Seattle's coach, of sending Gibron to steal sideline signals. Knox said he sent Gibron to scout, not spy. ''If we were to send a spy,'' Knox said, ''I would think we would be a little more discreet about it. We had to get Abe two seats in the press box. He took up two spaces. We got him two trays of food, so you could hardly say he was not noticeable.''

Gibron died at his home in Bellair, Florida on September 23, 1997, a day after turning 72. Gibron had been confined to his home since suffering two strokes in the previous year.
    1975 Lowell High School Yearbook
    (Whittier, California, not to be confused with the Lowell High School in San Fransico noted above).

Attending Lowell in 1974-75 and shown in the yearbook are at least two future "notables." Future NFL player Brent Boyd is in the Senior class and actor Brad Wilkin is in the Sophomore class.

Boyd is shown in his Senior class yearbook photo (page 91), with the other two Varsity Football Team captains (page 177) and in the Varsity Football Team group photo (178). Wilken is shown in performing in the school play "Dark of the Moon" and in his Sophomore class yearbook photo (page 139). Jack Russell, the lead signer for the rock band Great White, attended this school from 1975 to 1977 (?) and should appear in this yearbook but I could not find him.

"Goodell, left, and NFL concussion sufferer Brent Boyd who rubs head after hearing more BS and the NFL's DELAY, DENY, HOPE WE DIE stalling tactics."
    (Photo and caption from Boyd's Dignity after Football website.)

Former professional football offensive guard Brent Boyd was born March 23, 1957 in Downey, California. Brent Boyd attended UCLA and was selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the third round of the 1980 NFL Draft. Boyd played with the Vikings from 1980 to 1986.

In 2006, Boyd at age 49, was diagnosd with dementia, believed to have been caused by concussions suffered while playing football during college and in the NFL.

In 2007, he wrote, "I recently read about Andre Waters' brain damage and suicide, and Mike Webster's death and lonely last years. His son Garrett talked about how his dad wouldn't call or let old friends see him in his condition. Then it hit me. I was doing that, too. ... I'd like to let old friends in the Twin Cities know the show is going to be on before it airs. I have been ashamed to be seen, but they probably think I was NFL guy and 'big timing' them. Just the opposite."

Boyd is the founder of the retired professional football players advocacy group, Dignity After Football, and spoke before a House Judiciary subcommittee on June 26, 2007, along with several other former NFL players. The single father discussed being homeless for extended periods, as well as suffering brain damage as the result of multiple concussions.

American actor Brad Wilkin has appeared in a number of television and film credits including Little House on the Prairie (1974), The Waltons (1974), Instant Family (1977-TV Special), M*A*S*H (1980), Pig's vs Freaks (1984), Off Sides (1984-TV Movie), and Disney's Midnight Madness (2004).

One of the more memorable roles that Wilkin had during this time period was on Happy Days where he played the reacurring role of "Phil", the remantic opposite to Joanie Cunningham (1978).

Good stuff. Your collection is getting huge!
    1981 Hillsborough High School Yearbook (Tampa, Florida), titled "Hillsborean."

Several future notables are found in this yearbook, students and future MLB players Dwight Gooden, Vance Lovelace and Floyd Youmans. Also found in the book is Writing and Literature teacher Ann Turner Cook, a well known mystery writer.

Dwight Gooden is a Junior and Vance Lovelace is a Senior. I am unsure what class Yeomans is in, although he is likely a Junior.

Gooden and Youmans were both drafted by the New York Mets in 1982. Gooden in the 1st round and Youmans in the 2nd round. Youmans was not with the Mets long however and was part of the trade with the Expos that brought Gary Carter to New York, and it is with the Expos that Youmans would make his MLB debut.

Youmans, the uprising rookie pitcher for the Expos, and Gooden, the young star pitcher for the Mets, would play against each other twice in 1986.

On June 18, 1986, the first game facing off one another, Youmans bested Gooden, holding the Mets team to only one earned run in 5.1 innings, and drawing a walk in his first at bat against Gooden.

The two players were pitted again on August 1. Both lasting five innings with Youmans giving up five hits and three runs, and Gooden four hits and one run. More telling is the strikeout-walk ratio. Youmans walked four and struck out two. Gooden walked two and struck out seven. The Mets won the game 3-1.

Youmans finished the 1986 season with 202 strikeouts, third in the National League, but also had a league leading 118 bases of balls. The promise of each pitcher's career appeared compelling. Gooden already had his face on billboard's in New York, Youmans, who had pitched two no-hitters in '86, just needed to work on his balks and he would be a top 5 league pitcher.

However, the pressure of being a Major League player, and a bank account with money, was too much for either. Youmans and Gooden both turned to alcohol and cocaine.

After failing a second drug test in 1987, Youmans was suspended indefinitely. The suspension was reduced to 60 days and Youmans would return to play a couple injury filled seasons.

Gooden was arrested on December 13, 1986, in Tampa, Florida after fighting with police and rumors of substance abuse began to arise. Concerns were confirmed with Gooden tested positive for cocaine during spring training for the 1987 MLB season.

Gooden suffered a shoulder injury in 1989, and another injury in 1991. After these injuries, Gooden's career declined significantly. While drug abuse is commonly blamed by fans for Gooden's pitching troubles, and it likely played a role, some analysts point to his early workload. It has been estimated that Gooden threw over 10,800 pitches from 1983–85, a period in which he was just 18 to 20 years old.

1980-81 Hillsborough High School Varsity Baseball group photo.

imageimage
    Yeomans #29, Gooden #5.

Former professional baseball pitcher Dwight Eugene Gooden was born November 16, 1964 in Tampa, Florida. The New York Mets selected Dwight Gooden in the 1st round (5th pick overall) in the 1982 MLB Draft out of Hillsborough High School (Tampa, Florida). After one season in the minors, where he led the Class-A Carolina League in wins, strikeouts and ERA, Gooden made his Major League debut on April 7, 1984.

Gooden exploded into the Majors at age 19 with a 98 MPH fastball and sweeping curveball. Nicknamed "Dr. K" ( in reference to the letter "K" being the standard abbreviation for strikeout), which became shortened to "Doc". Gooden won 17 games his '84 rookie season and earned the NL Rookie of the Year. He won eight of his last nine starts; in his final three starts of the 1984 season, he had 41 strikeouts and 1 walk. Gooden led the league with a rookie record 276 strikeouts and set the MLB record for most strikeouts in three consecutive starts with 43.

In 1985, Gooden pitched one of the most statistically dominating single seasons in baseball history. With 24 wins, 268 strikeouts, and a 1.53 ERA (the second lowest in the live ball era) Gooden earned the major leagues' pitching Triple Crown. From his second start in 1984, through the end of the 1985 season, Gooden's ERA never rose above 2.00. For his efforts, Gooden was named the 1985 NL Cy Young Award winner and the 1985 TSN Picher of the Year.

Gooden played for the New York Mets (1984-1994), the New York Yankees (1996-1997, 2000), the Cleveland Indians (1998-1999), the Houston Astros (2000), and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (2000). He was a 4-time All-Star selection (1984-1986, 2000), a 1992 Silver Slugger and a 3-time World Series Champion (1986, 1996 & 2000).

Former professional baseball pitcher Vance Odell Lovelace was born August 9, 1963 in Tampa, Florida. The Chicago Cubs selected Vance Lovelace in the 1st round (16th pick overall) in the 1981 MLB Amateur Draft. Lovelace made his Major League debut on September 10, 1988 with the California Angeles and played for the Angels in 1988 and 1989 and the Seattle Mariners in 1990. Lovelace is currently the Director of pro scouting and special adviser to the general manager for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Former professional baseball pitcher Floyd Everett Youmans was born May 11, 1964 in Tampa, Florida. The New York Mets selected Floyd Youmans in the 2nd round of the 1982 MLB Amateur Draft. Youmans made his Major League debut on July 1, 1985 and played for the Montreal Expos from 1985 to 1988 and the Philadelphia Phillies in 1989. Youmans pitched one-hitters on June 8 and July 8, 1986 and finished third in the National League in strikeouts.

Mystery Author and childhood model Ann Turner Cook was born in 1926. The daughter of cartoonist Leslie Turner, a five-month-old Ann was used as the model for a charcoal drawing by neighbor Dorothy Hope Smith. In 1928, when Gerber announced it was looking for baby images for its upcoming line of baby food, Smith's drawing was submitted and subsequently chosen. The drawing of Ann Turner Cook has been used on all Gerber baby food packaging since.

Cook attended the University of South Florida and other post-secondary schools, where, studying education and English journalism, she earned several degrees, including a master's degree in English Education. She taught at one of Florida's several elementary schools named Oak Hill, and then at Madison Junior High School, in Tampa, Florida. In 1966, she joined the English Department of Hillsborough High School, also in Tampa. After retiring from teaching, Cook became a mystery author. Her books include Trace Their Shadows, Shadow over Cedar Key, and Homosassa Shadows.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super thread - I enjoyed this immensely!

My favorite - Lou Boudreau - nice photos of his youth.

My favorite Boudreau item I have is a signed lineup card with Ted Williams.

Thanx for sharing - I'm looking forward to more year books.
    Mike
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Neat. I didn't know that Davey O'Brien went to Dallas' Woodrow Wilson High School. That means they have at least two Heisman winners that went there as Tim Brown (of Notre Dame fame) did as well. That's more Heisman winners then most colleges!! My mom also went there image

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    2005 Kirkwood High School Yearbook (Kirkwood, Missouri), titled "Pioneers."

This was the Junior year for future 2009 Philadelphia Eagles 1st round draft pick and NFL star wide reciever, Jeremy Maclin.

Maclin is shown playing football and evading "a Marquette defender..." (page 56); playing basketball and lunging "towards the basket to take a one-hand shot..." (page 87); in the Varsity Football Team group photo (page 246); and in the Varsity Boys Basketball Team group photo (page 251).

The 2004-05 Kirkwood Varsity Football Team ended with a 12-2 record, the Varsity Boys Basketball was a little less successful going 13-5, losing two games by 1 pt. and a third by 2 pts.

Maclin led the Basketball team in steals and assists and was named one of the St. Louis area's top 20 players.

Varsity Football Team group photo. Maclin is the second to last in the third row, jersey #3...beside the really short guy. The short guy happens to be the team's captain.

Varsity Boys Basketball Team group photo. Maclin is the fifth in the first row, jersey #11.

imageimage

Professional football wide receiver Jeremy Maclin was born May 11, 1988 in Chesterfield, Missouri. Maclin graduated from Kirkwood High School (Kirkwood, Missouri) from 2002 to 2006 where he was a lettermen in football and basketball and helped lead the school's football team to a state championship. Maclin attended the University of Missouri where he played college football with the Missouri Tigers in 2007 and 2008. During his freshman season, Maclin recorded an NCAA freshman record 2,776 all-purpose yards (307 punt returning, 375 rushing, 1,039 kickoff returning, and 1,055 receiving)...an average of 198.3 yards per a game.

The Philadelphia Eagles selected Jeremy Maclin in the 1st round of the 2009 NFL Draft. Maclin made his first start in Week 3 of the 2009 season and quickly became a favorite of starting quaterback Donovan McNabb.

On January 9, 2010, in the Eagles’ NFC Wildcard match against the Dallas Cowboys, Maclin became the youngest player to score a touchdown in NFL postseason history, aged 21 years and 243 days. In the second quarter, he caught a 76 yard pass from Michael Vick, Vick’s longest career touchdown pass and Maclin’s longest career touchdown catch. With 146 yards, Maclin also broke the Eagles record for receiving yards in a playoff game.
    2005 Kirkwood High School Yearbook (Kirkwood, Missouri), titled "Pioneers."

The Senior year for Jeremy Maclin. Maclin was a Captain of the Varsity basketball and football teams.

The 2004-05 Kirkwood Varsity Football Team finished the year with a 9-1 record, opening it's first game against Marquette with a 42-7 victory and winning the second game 68-6.

The Varsity Basketball Team put up a 18-5 season record and made the Class 5 Missouri Show-Me State Championship, which was held on March 10, 2005 in Columbia, Missouri. It was the first time in 27 years the team had made the Final Four.

Kirkwood lost it's first game 46-56 to Kickapoo, but won the second game of the season 58-54, to secure the team a third place state title.

Maclin is shown playing football, teaming up to make a block (Page 71); playing basketball, making a shot during the Missouri Championship game (Page 106); working out of a Math book (Page 175); in the Varsity Football Team photo (Page 257); and in the Varsity Boy's Basketball Team photo (263).

Wiki incorrectly notes that Maclin helped lead the team to a state championship.

There is a Senior activity listings in the back of the book. It notes that Maclin was an honor roll student.

Varsity Basketball Team group photo, Maclin is the first player in the first row.

Varsity Football Team group photo, Maclin is the fourth player in the last row.

imageimage