Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

GAI Autograph Authentication

I think I may have asked before, but does GAI have a decent reputation when it comes to auto authentication? I have a bunch of autos I need to get authenticated, but really don't want to pay through the butt. If I plan to resell them, would I be money ahead to wait for a good PSA special, or is GAI an acceptable solution? Nice thing about GAI is that they are only about an hour drive from my house. Thanks in advance.
Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"

Comments

• Options
    No.

If you want to make money on the items, send them to PSA/DNA or JSA.

• Options
    I saw a GAI authentic Steve Young signature event cover (fancy envelope) the other day and almost started a thread. They are that bad...at least on Young's signature.

Plus they are currently certifying those well known fake Marino autographs from 5-10 years ago as real, or at least I saw a 2-3 (more then one) a couple months ago. These are the ones from ring the FBI busted on Project Hardball. I don't know how anyone can call themselves an expert and pass along well known fakes.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

I thought GAI - the one affiliated with Baker - only graded cards now. either way I would not have them authenticate any autographs. even if real, people would think it's unreal just because it has the GAI name on it.
  • Options
    That does appear to be the case.

http://www.globalauth.com/services

+1 for GAI them. I guess they saw a problem and dealt with it.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No.

If you want to make money on the items, send them to PSA/DNA or JSA. >>

+1000
  • Options
    I've been looking at Chicago Bears autos on ebay and all the GAI authentications I've been insterested in have not passed a PSA/DNA quick opinion.
  • Options
    GAI is really hit or miss...................i have seen some good and some (really) bad sigs. My days with GAI are over, but thats just me.
  • Options

Justin Priddy did okay with authenticating. Mike Guitterez (sp?) knew his stuff. besides that...stay far away from GAI autographs...especially the COA's signed by Baker. the flood of fake GAI mantle, williams, dimaggios, etc on eBay seems to be slowing down a lot.
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    FWIW I had a Hank Aaron GAI Perez Steele signed card that did cross over to PSA/DNA. There is good stuff out there just be careful. The PSA QO option is a good way to go when buying.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options

I've been collecting basketball autographs for about eight years now, and I have been extremely careful to buy from only notable dealers, at shows, or authenticated material. I have numerous GAI items that match all the study I had done leading up. However, I recently purchased a Patrick Ewing ball that I know in my heart is a forgery; it doesn't match any of the other autographs I have ever seen. I should have been more careful, but I jumped at the item as they are so rare, and the fact that I had been very pleased with my previous GAI purchases. I have yet to have a similar experience with PSA or JSA.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    The card grading and autograph grading split. I cannot get the autograph grading site to pull up anymore. I guess only Burge has their address.