Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Max Silberman; an OBIT

Max as a long time hobbyist and columnist for BHN in the 1980's. I traded with him on and off for more than 30 years. Posted underneath this is a far better tribute from his long-time friend, Frank Barning, editor of Baseball Hobby News.

"Max was a prince of a guy, loved our game, adored his collection and family and was a fine friend to many.

In 1979, Max was the very first subscriber to Baseball Hobby News and we still have his canceled check. Soon after he became a columnist and he penned some of the greatest stories we ever had the privilege to publish.

There was a rule in the Baseball Hobby News office, and remember this was before email. The person opening our mail was directed to bring any envelope from Max directly to my office. No matter how busy I was, I shut my door and immediately read what he had written. His tales were always beautifully written, requiring virtually no editing. Max was a brilliant story teller, the rare hobby writer who totally captured the essence of baseball and card collecting, and often with a well-developed sense of humor.

His BHN subscription label included his name, address and the notation, No. 1. To Vivian and Frank Barning Max Silberman will always be No. 1."

Frank Barning
Las Vegas, NV
fbarning@gmail.com
Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!

Comments