Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Let me know what you think of this guy

Is there any reason to buy large amounts of wax wrappers other than to use them for resealing packs?

I just sold a lot of NMT+ commons to a guy (who has not yet paid).

Checked his FB and noticed he buys quite a lot of higher grade 70s card lots and wax wrappers from the same era.

FB

He just bought a lot of 77 and 78 Topps from (who else?) NESC, and at the same time bought a roll of 78 wrappers and other 77 wrappers. He even bought an old empty 77 box.

I'm hesitant to complete the auction based on the suspicion my cards might be packed up and resold in bogus packs.

Not accusing the guy of anything yet, but I think it's a safe bet what he has planned, probably with a different username.

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    if it walks like a duck......
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    not really much you can do... but yeah, I agree unfortunately this is probably the case...
  • Options
    Evening,
    Hate to say it, but after your awesome reasearch, you should ethically not complete the deal. I have had this happen several times and what I do is warn them that if they leave a Neg you will take action (Reporting them to E-Bay, Law Enforcement ect., Even though I do this anyway, make them FEEL like they are OK and they usually will not Neg you.)
    Your call, but I would not consumate the deal!!!!!
    You are enabling a Crook!!!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Whether this buyer is nefarious or not, I appreciate collectors like you whom put the best interests of the hobby before your own. Believe me, I've done some of that lately. image) Thanks.
  • Options
    I am of the opinion that there is absolutely no logical reason for anyone to buy more than one wrapper from the same set, unless the person's intention was to make their own packs. I am sure that is precisely what your buyer intends to do.

That said, if I were in your position I would complete the deal and move on. If I thought that cancelling this deal would somehow prevent him from ripping people off, then I would do so. But there is absolutely no chance that it would.

If he doesn't reseal packs with cards he bought from you, he's going to reseal packs with cards he bought from someone else.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    How much of a sale are we talking about here?

And what condition are the cards?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    take his payment and then wait for him to list the box or packs then either out him and report to ebay or buy the packs and never pay. I'm sure he will use another account, but it should be fairly easy to match the accounts up when he lists them.
  • Options
    Thanks for bringing this up, you should magic marker a few cards and send them to him. Maybe down the road, we can figure it out the truth.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Pretty likely a factory in the making.

Not selling to such guys has no long term impact on the situation. He
    obviously has lots of willing suppliers.

Catching crooks in the act is the tried and true method of all prohibitions.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this guy is also the seller hotstuffcollector..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if this guy is also the seller hotstuffcollector.. >>

//////////////////////////////////

The pair are "registered" in the same state.

But he says:

"Good Luck and God Bless.

Insurance is offered and Suggested if your item is important to you. Thanks.

Check out my other items for more great deals. Thanks and God Bless."

The seller is in violation of EBAY TOS on the insurance issue.

I thought listing such ungraded packs was now against the rules.

Calling summerof68.

• Options
    Summer here.

As you know I spent spent alot of hours tracking some of the most notorious pack counterfeiters on ebay. This enabled me to convey to ebay the scope of the current problem. So much so that ebay took note and initially decided to ban the sale of raw vintage packs.

The ball was in their hands and at the end they dropped the ball and now it's back to business as usual for the criminals. So I no longer have the desire to invest any time into this endeaver.

But occassionally if I come across a high-end pack on ebay that appears bad (such as that '73 Gai 10 Seaver cello) then I will certainly chime in with any thoughts I have...should anyone care.
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    Summer of '68, I think alot of us really appreciate you sharing your wisdom with us, so please feel free to chime in whenever you'd like. Saves us $ and educates us as well. I don't know how you've figured out all of the stuff you post but it's pretty nice of you to share with us less informed.

As far as this other situation, I think that Barney Fife once told andy that 2 and 2 equals four. That would seem to apply in this situation.
    Clearly you are high enough on the maslow's hierarchary chart that the monetary gain would be more than offset by your worry about participating in what is the worst of our hobby.
    Karma will have you selling them down the road to someone who really needs them to complete a nice set.
  • Options
    This buyer might just collect old empty wax boxes, wax wrappers and nice looking commons. People do collect different things.

BUT, I DON'T THINK I'LL BE BUYING ANY WAX ON EBAY. Their is just too many bad packs (all commons no stars)
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    If he was going to reseal 77 or 78 packs isn't he going to need a 30 year old piece of gum also?
    Wouldn't one card have the gum stuck to it?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>If he was going to reseal 77 or 78 packs isn't he going to need a 30 year old piece of gum also?
    Wouldn't one card have the gum stuck to it? >>

If he wanted his con to be as authentic as possible then yes. But in most cases the con men use any stick of gum they find and try to pass it off as real as possible. I'm pretty sure the gum was the give away on a few of the busted resealers
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This buyer might just collect old empty wax boxes, wax wrappers and nice looking commons. People do collect different things. >>

Yeah, he might. But like Jeff said, if it walks like a duck...

This guy has no sales on his account (only buys), so it leads one to believe this is just a buying ID, which throws up red flags for obvious reasons.

And yes, the presence of the old gum would make sense. But people who buy non-authenticated wax packs online don't have much common sense, anyway.

I spoke to ebay yesterday and did not get a satisfactory answer. She informed me that absent proof, it was my obligation to complete the transaction once paid for. I asked her about the possibility of removing a resulting negative, and she said again, proof would be required and it would be evaluated at that time.
  • Options
    "...I spoke to ebay yesterday and did not get a satisfactory answer. She informed me that absent proof, it was my obligation to complete the transaction once paid for. I asked her about the possibility of removing a resulting negative, and she said again, proof would be required and it would be evaluated at that time..."

///////////////////////////////////////

Since EBAY makes money on the crimes of their members,
    they need strong proof that "allows" them to act.

The best "proof" is activity between associated accounts.

Some of the packs listed by the WV seller in this thread
    appear likely to be bad.

I have no idea if the buyer/seller are "associated."

If I wanted out of the deal, I would look for other WV
    accounts - selling homemade packs - and tell EBAY that
    I have a "good faith belief" that my buyer and one or
    more of the WV selling accounts are "associated."

There is no moral/ethical question involved in the OP's
    decision to complete the transaction.

EBAY is a cesspool of bad actors. "Ethical" folks who play
    in the pond need to forget about employing notions of moral
    absolutism to guide their post-listing conduct.

The "immoraility" occurrs at the time of listing --- participating
    in a venue that knowingly enables crime. Such participation
    implies moral relativism and ONLY situational ethics need to
    be employed in resolving conflicts that arise.

Trying to "do the right thing" in a game that is built on evil,
    is the height of hypocrisy. If I was REALLY worried about
    being "ethical/moral," I would not be playing the game at all.
  • Options
    It's too bad that you can't write on the back of the commons or wrappers he buys with some kind of ink that shows up under a blacklight because that would pretty much prove he's a pack faker.
  • Options
    Leftofdial,

Thanks a bunch for the kind words. And I love the Andy Griffth reference--one of my favorite shows of all-time.

"doing right ain't got no end" --from the movie Josie Wales. 1976
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp