Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Reverse negative collection. Almost 20 years in the making!

I love reverse negatives! They are to me the funniest and goofiest looking errors. I've posted my collection before but I have some updates.

The three cards going from top to bottom on the right side do not have corrected counterparts.

Peace bro. I just learned of this John Lennon. I'm amazed that even though I've collected reverse negatives for nearly 20 years there are still ones that I never knew about. Then again I didn't collect Pro Set Beetles cards. BTW, the Schmidt is reversed on the blue card.

Some well known ones here. The Blades is detected by the number 8 being in the wrong place. Up close you can see the word Seahawks is backwards on his helmet.

After all these years I realized the Bevacqua had been corrected!

Someone please prove to me that this Mike Gallego is easier to find than the Dale Murphy because it took forever for me to find one.

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the goofiest looking commentator on ESPN of all?

Here's the money page with Murphy and Littlefield. I'm thinking I should have sent in the Littlefield. Could be a 9. The Darryl Johnston is an interesting freak of nature. The whole front is reversed and not only is the gloss is on the back, but so is Jerry Rice! Probably one of a kind but then again I've never searched for another.

This is why I'm glad we can make good color copies with our computers now. The Thompson, Patrick, and White were one-of-a-kind Topps proofs that were obviously corrected before the final cards were made. I wasn't able to buy the originals but could at least make copies and make "cards" out of them. (Incidentally, if anyone has a crappy, raw 1975 Topps/OPC Craig Patrick lying around I could use it.)
The Alou was spotted by an eagle eye on these boards. Yes, the card states he bats right and is thus shown as a righty. However, he must have been a jokester a la Bob Uecker and posed as a lefty. Topps flipped the pic to make him a righty again. The "N" in the "NY" logo on his hat is backwards.

I have a Barry Zito 2000 Royal Rookies on the way with a reverse negative on the back. I still need the 2007 Topps Joba Chamberlain and the 2002 Topps finest Mike Schmidt autograph. They are usually available on ebay but I haven't liked the prices.

As always please let me know if there's anything I've missed or don't have that you know of. I always imagine there's some obscure minor league card or something that I don't know about but that's what has made this collection fun.

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    great collection - thanks for sharing them

I never knew there were so many different ones out there

good luck in finding some more

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    AWESOME!
  • Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's some great stuff...image

I was only aware of a few, thanks for sharing...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Interesting collection. Here's some info that might help.

'52 Mantle #311 and '52 Robinson #312 and '52 Thompson #313- baseball stitching no back reversed. image

1962 Topps- 129 Lee Walls A- Portrait facing right B- Portrait facing left (unsure if R.N. or just different photos)

1997 Topps- Prospects 200-207 A- Normal back B- Reversed back (unsure if R.N. or back is just facing different way)

2007 Topps Walmart- 20 Delmon Young A- A Faces Right B- Faces left (R.N. or just diff poses?)

2007 Topps Update- 312 Joba Chamberlain A- Reverse Negative B- Correct

1982 Fleer 603 Lee Smith A- Cubs logo reversed on back B- Cubs logo correct
    imageimageimage
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I have an 85 donruss tom seaver showing him throwing lefty, if you don't have it and you're patient I'll send it to you. It might take me a little while to find it.
  • 1960 Spic and Span #7 Del Crandall A- Reverse Negative B- Correct

1979 Hostess #105 Bob Bailor A- Reverse Negative B- Correct

1992 Diet Pepsi Canada Tom Glavine A- Reverse Negative B- Correct
    imageimageimage
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure I have an 85 donruss tom seaver showing him throwing lefty, if you don't have it and you're patient I'll send it to you. It might take me a little while to find it. >>

jimq112- That's actually just a wrong photo. The error is of Floyd Bannister. Thanks anyway

60 Spic and Span #7 Del Crandall A- Reverse Negative B- Correct

1979 Hostess #105 Bob Bailor A- Reverse Negative B- Correct

1992 Diet Pepsi Canada Tom Glavine A- Reverse Negative B- Correct

Wow, thanks for the info, 1989!
  • No problem. Happy Hunting.
    imageimageimage

• Very cool. image
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Very cool.

I vaguely remember the Simms error and pretty confident that I have one. Problem is, it's in a box with about 20,000 other random cards. If/when I go through them, I'll keep it mind and will let you know.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Here's one I didn't see above:

1960 Topps football Bill Wade

Also, though it's not a reverse image, the Packers logo is backward on all of the 1961 Fleer Packers cards.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    very cool, thanks for sharing!
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Very Nifty!!!!!!!!!!
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.

<< <i>I vaguely remember the Simms error and pretty confident that I have one. Problem is, it's in a box with about 20,000 other random cards. If/when I go through them, I'll keep it mind and will let you know. >>

I have it posted up top. Thanks anyway.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Excellent thread! Thanks for sharing.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Is that Arron a newer card? What is the logo on the top right corner?
  • 2002 Topps Archives.
    imageimageimage
    Was able to add these recently. 1992 Canadian Pepsi Tom Glavine (NOT the easiest to find), 2002 Topps Finest Mike Schmidt (no correction)

Royal Rookies Barry Zito, 1960 Topps Bill Wade
    imageimage

I just found out about this one. Anyone have these?
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Cool cards too bad I dont have any to ad image
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • +1 For a Phil Garner sighting.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your new editions.

Cool stadium cards...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Ok raise your hands. How many of you didn't know some of these existed and are now digging through your boxes trying to find these? *hand raised*

I should have mentioned that I NEED those stadium cards. The last guy to have them on ebay wanted $15. Just seemed high without knowing how scarce the error is.
    Just picked up the 1960 Spic and Span Del Crandall corrected version. Can anyone steer me to the reverse negative?

• fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    There are dozens of cards from the 1920s with reversed negatives, many subsets in the W515, W516, W519 and W520 family of sets have all the cards reversed.
  • dmatcdmatc Posts: 69 ✭✭
    I beleive the entire 2002 UD Authentics set was available as an
    insert in Reverse Negative form.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Deadman's Registry Sets
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭✭
    there is a Junior Ortiz (Twins) card from an early Bowman issue that has a reverse negative..The card depicts Cal Ripken Jr. sliding home in a ST game and at first glance it looks OK because of the 8 on Cal's back, but if you look around it's reversed....maybe someone can throw up a scan
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a scan of the card I was referring to.....The "giveaway" is that the catcher's glove is on Ortiz's right hand (and you can see the reverse Orioles script on the player in the background)...

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was able to add these recently.
    I just found out about this one. Anyone have these?
    image >>

You may already know this, but that stadium isn't a reverse negative, its simply a rotated negative.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
    I never knew about the Ortiz. Anyone have one they can throw in an envelope and send me? I'll happily pay the stamp and whatever is the current market value of a 1990 Bowman Junior Ortiz. image

alifaxwa2- I just assumed the Dodgers' Stadium sticker was flipped but now I see it was just rotated. Thanks for pointing that out.

<< <i>There are dozens of cards from the 1920s with reversed negatives, many subsets in the W515, W516, W519 and W520 family of sets have all the cards reversed. >>

I figured there had to have been really old cards with reverse negatives but never knew exactly in which sets. Thanks for giving me some ideas.
    An old thread, but a good one! Here are three more.

1948 Kellogg's Pep Charley Trippi, reverse image and corrected:

imageimage

Joe Namath 1972 NFLPA Vinyl Stickers, reverse image and corrected:

imageimage

Dick Butkus 1972 NFLPA Vinyl Stickers, reverse image and corrected:

imageimage

To decide which of the NFLPA Vinyl Stickers were correct, I compared the images to those on the players' 1972 NFLPA Iron-Ons--and assumed that the images on the Iron-Ons were correct.

imageimage

• Another great unique collection !

thanks for look at the mirror world of cards - bizzaro cards
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Very cool, thanks again for sharing, took a look again, never knew there were so many from the 1970-90s that were corrected too. Unique interesting collection.

As far as vintage cards, here is funny one.....
    Its a 1921 W516-2-1 card of Hall of Famer George "Highpockets" Kelly with a error caption (spelling, never corrected), and the cards were ALL originally printed in reverse, but this one was pirinted and then stacked while the sheet was still wet so the image of the sheet below it made a mirror image (wet sheet transfer) on the back that would then be the corrected image image

PS. FYI, if you go for the strip cards with reverse images, some are not real easy to ID unless you know where to look, the portrait cards without hat or uniform emblems, a good place to look is at the buttons on jersey, if the buttons are on the left of the seam its a reversed image. Also some of copyright logos that are reversed so they are easy.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Great grouping of cards! Loved looking at them.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Hey, my old thread!

Seems like just when I think I have every reverse negative (or know about the ones I don't) another pops up. How scarce is that Kellogg's Trippi?

I still need the Ortiz. (Chock it up to the "cheap and I need it but can't find it" thread). I also still need both versions of the 1979 Hostess Bob Bailor. I will eventually get a Joba Chamberlain. There is also new pricey Alex Rodriguez.

<< <i>How scarce is that Kellogg's Trippi? >>

The 1948 Kellogg's Pep cards aren't incredibly scarce; you can usually find a few of them on eBay. I don't know how scarce the reversed Trippi card is, though, compared to the corrected one.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for sharing - very entertaining.

I don't collect them - but do have the 92F Ultra Ripken RN - pulled it in a pack - it's probably about as rare as rocks.
    Mike
  • cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Not sure why, but I found this thread very interesting. I knew of some of those RN's but not all.

Cool theme collection,

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Not sure why, but I found this thread very interesting. I knew of some of those RN's but not all.

Cool theme collection,

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Cool thread. Great job!
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing!!! That collection is off the hook!!!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
    Breaking news! A corrected '57 Aaron has been discovered after 54 years! image

A couple more that I just came across: Mel Farr and Bob Griese on their 1969 Glendale Stamps. Farr was #24, and Griese was #12.

imageimage
    Sharp eyes! Thanks for the heads up.
  • a great collection, and great thread. Amazing!
    Here's another: Del Shofner's 1960 Topps football card. If you compare the image to the one on his 1961 Topps football card, you can tell from the numbers and lines on his jersey. Shofner was #29 for the Rams.

imageimage
  • awesome thread, the littlefield is my favorite..I had a stack of them back in 82,
    I used to get around $100 apiece back then....
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: [email protected]

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
    Here are two from the 1961 Fleer Wallet Pictures set: Chris Burford and Dan McGrew. Side by side with the players' 1961 Fleer cards, it's easy to see they're flipped. (The Wallet Pictures are the ones on the right.)

imageimage

imageimage