Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Got 3 more cards..1934 Dixie Walker.. 3-7-10 Update ----Brian's Dodgers Rookie Cards Project

I've been wanting to do this project for the last couple of years and now I'm doing it. I've collected cards since I was a kid back in the early 70's, but I've never had a serious projection or a focus.

I'm doing a collection of former Dodgers greats & favorites, including Rookie of the Year Dodgers, and Dodger HOF's rookie cards. I will be shooting for PSA 7 up to PSA 10's depending on the cards.

Here are my recent purchases over the last few weeks. Some of the cards have not arrived yet, but I'm very excited!

And finally, just pulled the trigger on a Garvey rookie card. I've been looking for a long time and just found a good centered PSA 8 card.

Also added a signed Steve Howe rookie card.

Added:
3-24-09
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm192/bman90278/78lasorda.jpg

Just bought these cards from board member Rich aka, Digicat . I will have the following cards coming in the mail. Very excited!

Comments

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Very nice start image Sounds like a long and fun collection ahead of you!

That Garvey RC is superb! image
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Best of luck with your project, Brian!

Nice selection of cards to start with too!

PoppaJ
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    NICE CARDS BRIAN.

Good luck with your project!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Brian

We've had a lot of great players here in LA
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Very nice so far. Are you going to be going back to the Brooklyn years too?
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice so far. Are you going to be going back to the Brooklyn years too? >>

I'm going back to the first years in LA, but I do have a few Brooklyn rookies on my list. When I find ones I can afford I will want a 1953 Jim Gilliam , 1954 Tommy Lasorda, 1950 Don Newcombe, 1949 Bowman Gil Hodges, and maybe.........Rookie Koufax and Drysdale, but the price and cards would have to be right.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff Brian....good luck!

Seeing that 81 brings back fond memories for me. There was a store within a bike ride of my house. Almost everyday that summer, I rode down there and bought all the 81 racks I could afford.

Good times image
  • Options
    Brian..

WOW what a great Garvey..Stunning!!!

Please PM me your address I would love to send you these to help you get started on your new collection..

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    I've been able to find many cards on my want list which I will buy at the right time, but I will need help finding several cards.

Want list:

See end of the thread for updated list.

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Very Nice Brian, Make sure you update this thread as you add more.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Good start to a collection although I'm not sure that Dave Stewart fits the description of a "Dodger Great." He certainly found success later on in his career but not in LA (though never will be considered HOF Material)....Good Luck!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Good start to a collection although I'm not sure that Dave Stewart fits the description of a "Dodger Great." He certainly found success later on in his career but not in LA (though never will be considered HOF Material)....Good Luck! >>

Thanks! Yes you are correct that Dave Stewart found success after he left the Dodgers. I added him to my list because he was always a favorite and I think he deserves to be on my all time Dodgers collection list.....I guess he could be on the long list of prospects the Dodgers let get away. lol

brian
  • Options

<< <i>Very Nice Brian, Make sure you update this thread as you add more. >>

Thanks Matt, I will be adding and updating very often. I'm sure like you and many others, this collection will be much larger than I want to do.

brian
  • Options

<< <i>Brian..

Please PM me your address I would love to send you these to help you get started on your new collection..
    >>

Wow Felicia, that is most generous of you!! I have great memories of my late father buying me and my brother rack packs during that year and I don't believe I ever got those two cards!!! That is awesome!!!!!!!!!! PM sent.

brian
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Nice start.

I love the 1981 Fernando PSA 9 topps traded card. A Dodger great and very affordable.

I also want to do something like what you are doing.

Good luck.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    nice start
    can't wait to see whats next
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    pm sent!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>pm sent! >>

Thanks very much for the PM Rich...Check yours as I responded back this morning.

brian
  • Options
    Thanks very much everyone for the great replies! I'm very excited that I finally committed myself to doing this project. Seriously, I would love to do lots of HOF and other TTM projects as well as buying up lots of other Rookie cards, but I wanted to be able to start off with something I could realistically finish and allow myself to spend very little money on a monthly basis.

Eventually, I will also be making some custom Oak display cabinets for my collection too as that's one of the things I can do very well because of my profession. Maybe that will be my project for this summer depending on where I'm working.

Thank the Lord that I've been now working for close to 2 months and that things have picked up a little in my industry.

brian
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian, Nice start and pretty cards. Thanks for Sharing.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Awesome Garvey RC!
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    brian, very nice stuff! Keep us updated!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    '79 Dodgers Rookies is Guerrero's rookie. You can find that with a little searching for about $5 or less in PSA 9. '85 Topps, Donruss, or Leaf Hershiser rookies will run about the same. Manny Mota's '63 Topps rookie will be $10-$15 in PSA 8.

I assume all of those are musts for a Dodgers rookies collection.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>'79 Dodgers Rookies is Guerrero's rookie. You can find that with a little searching for about $5 or less in PSA 9. '85 Topps, Donruss, or Leaf Hershiser rookies will run about the same. Manny Mota's '63 Topps rookie will be $10-$15 in PSA 8.

I assume all of those are musts for a Dodgers rookies collection.

Nick >>

Hi Nick, I should have Guerrero's rookie card off my list any day now and it will be a PSA 9. I also have a couple of sources right now on an 85 Topps Hershiser PSA 10 card and I'm hoping to purchase one this week.

Manny Mota is among many former Dodgers greats who's rookie cards I would love to have, but I'm focusing right now on actual Dodgers rookie cards. I have a list of guys like Mota, Rick Monday, and Reggie Smith to name a few who came from other teams that will eventually make it to my project.

thanks for the info!

brian
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Unless you can detect a flaw, resubmitting the Stewart might work to your advantage.

Sweet cards!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    Just purchased this 1978 Tommy Lasorda PSA 9 card online. Tommy was on the 1977 Dodgers team card, but this is his first card as a manager with just him on it. I will also add the 1977 Dodgers card too.

• Options
    Just bought these cards from board member Rich aka, Digicat . I will have the following cards coming in the mail. Very excited!

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Very Nice Brian ... keep it going!
    (BTW ... I received two nice TTM autos today.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Very Nice Brian ... keep it going!
    (BTW ... I received two nice TTM autos today.) >>

Doug, I was checking out your TTM's. Great job! The letters you are receiving are very special too especially the ones by Jim Kaat and John Ellis.

brian
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian love the Sax rookie. That's awesome.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Updated April 9, 2009

Due to a few personal matters and a slow down at work again, I'm forced to stop adding to this collection.

I will update this thread when I get back into the cards.

brian
  • Options
    Thanks very much to Felicia for giving me these two beautiful cards for my collection. They are certainly keepers!!!!! They aren't rookies, but I was a rookie card lover as a kid when I first started ripping 75's!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
    Brian

<< <i>Brian..

image >>

• Options
    Hi Brian

I just wanted to let you know, I have every card you need to complete your project. However in light of recent events, (you bumping many of my old dorky threads) I will be burning them all with a huge smile on my face.

Have a goood night

Matt

• Options
    Oh yeah, Nice cards Brian and felicia image
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Brian

I just wanted to let you know, I have every card you need to complete your project. However in light of recent events, (you bumping many of my old dorky threads) I will be burning them all with a huge smile on my face.

Have a goood night

Matt

image >>

Matt, If I really bumped all of your old dorky threads it would take me weeks...Just kidding buddy!! I thought you would get a kick out of the old threads plus Craig wasn't giving you any bumpage. lol

brian
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi Brian

Have a goood night

Matt

image >>

Matt, If I really bumped all of your old dorky threads it would take me weeks...Just kidding buddy!! I thought you would get a kick out of the old threads plus Craig wasn't giving you any bumpage. lol

brian >>

LOLimage
  • Options
    I have been holding off the last couple of weeks purchasing new cards, but I couldn't pass up on this 2006 Bowman card for Russell Martin..Yes his actual rookie card is a 05, but I want to have both versions.

• Options
    Congrats !! Good price too.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I also found this rookie card in my stack of packs I ripped last year. This card will be perfect for TTM's.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Send to Mike Marshall first. He's by far the toughest of the 3 to get nowadays. Sax does a number of card shows and other signing events, and Roenicke coaches for the Angels and is rather accessible in person.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>Send to Mike Marshall first. He's by far the toughest of the 3 to get nowadays. Sax does a number of card shows and other signing events, and Roenicke coaches for the Angels and is rather accessible in person.

Nick >>

Thanks for the info Nick.

brian
  • Options
    I have a 1961 Willie Davis PSA 8 coming in the mail. I'm very happy I finally got one!

Scan will come as soon as it arrives.

brian
  • Options
    Nice cards Brian. The '71 Garvey sure stands out from that great set. Keep it going, looks good.
  • Options
    Brian ... post it when it arrives.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Brian ... post it when it arrives. >>

I certainly will post scans. I'm also working out the details on a few other key rookie cards. Hopefully I will be able to get them this week.

brian
  • Options

<< <i>Nice cards Brian. The '71 Garvey sure stands out from that great set. Keep it going, looks good. >>

Thanks very much. I think the Garvey card is one of my favorites and it took me a long time to find one I was happy with.

brian
  • Options
    Just picked up a 1964 Wes Parker rookie card in PSA 7.5 slab. I was hoping for a 8 but I wasn't able to find one with decent centering.

• Options
    Brian ... nice looking card!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Just got my 1961 Willie Davis today. I had been looking for one since earlier this year so I'm very happy. I had the chance to see him play against the Dodgers when I was a kid back when he was on the Padres.