Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PAoutdoorsman Arrested in PA?

Roger Hooper of Mechanicsburg, PA was arrested a couple weeks ago for fraud involving sports memorabilia.

As with most of these cases, it's a long story, but Hooper cheated another gentleman and another collector for nearly $70,000. After over 2 years of going after him he was arrested at his home.

Hooper sold just about any type of bogus item you can think of via his auction house: autographs, resealed wax, coins, vintage militaria, and anything else he thought he could make a buck from.

It is believed from good sources that Hooper was known as PAoutdoorsman on e-bay.

Edited to add: I was in no way involved in any of his scams. I copied this from another board.
W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    He's not the first, and most assuredly will not be the last.

Ron Friggin' Burgundy
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    That's fantastic.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    been a long time coming for him...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    i also think he had about 10 different ebay names..glad they got that crookimage
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if any other CROOKS are nervous after READING this thread!? image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Joe was asking if Hooper was Paoutdoorsman in case anyone thought differently.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Any link to the story?

I've been burnt several times buying from him myself (although I am the fool that would go to his auctions).
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Gary, if you are reading this, I hope you are sweating more than your normal. We can only hope it will be you next.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gary, if you are reading this, I hope you are sweating more than your normal. We can only hope it will be you next. >>

I didn't know he could read?
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    It looks like Roger Hooper was arrested on 05/22/2008 at OTN L417488-1 in Cumberland county PA and posted $30,000 bail on 05/23/2008. It appears that local police arrested him. He is charged with three counts of Deceptive/Fraudulent Business Practices, two counts of Theft by Deception, and one count of Dealing in Proceeds of Unlawful Activity.

He was arraigned on 05/22/2008. His preliminary hearing in was postponed on 05/29/2008 until 07/10/2008. Bump this thread after that, and I can get updated information.

I have no idea what the probable cause was for those charges, or if Hooper ever used the ID PAoutdoorsman.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gary, if you are reading this, I hope you are sweating more than your normal. We can only hope it will be you next. >>

I didn't know he could read? >>

From what I always understood, it was his mom who read everything for him.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    Hang that bastage, hang him high!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Roger Hooper of Mechanicsburg, PA was arrested a couple weeks ago for fraud involving sports memorabilia.

As with most of these cases, it's a long story, but Hooper cheated another gentleman and another collector for nearly $70,000. After over 2 years of going after him he was arrested at his home.

Hooper sold just about any type of bogus item you can think of via his auction house: autographs, resealed wax, coins, vintage militaria, and anything else he thought he could make a buck from.

It is believed from good sources that Hooper was known as PAoutdoorsman on e-bay.

Edited to add: I was in no way involved in any of his scams. I copied this from another board. >>

That's absolutely fantastic. If I'm remembering right, his actual first ebay name for his scams was paoutdoorsman2004 - I didn't double check it but I believe paoutdoorsman is a legitimate ebay seller.

Of course this scamming POS musta had at least ten other ebay names since 2004 in which he scammed ebay buyers.
  • Options
    Found this on Google:

Roger L Hooper Auctions
    AuctionZip Auctioneer ID # 5772

Roger Hooper
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Mechanicsburg, Pa 17055
    Phone: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Web: www.rlhooperauctions.com

Current Auction Listings

Sat May 31 - 09:00AM Mechanicsburg, PA Roger L Hooper Auctions

view photos

Quality 2 Day On-Site Estate Auction

Quality 2 Day On-Site Estate Auction SATURDAY MAY 31st 9:00 AM (7:00 AM Preview) SUNDAY JUNE 1st 9:00 AM (7:00 AM Preview) FRIDAY MAY 30th (3 Hour Preview) from 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM MECHANICSBURG, PENNSYLVANIA 900 Lots of Quality Antiques and Collectibles Consisting of: Decorated Stoneware (Cowden-Wilcox HBG, PA), Civil War Muskets (Springfields and Enfields), Carbines, Pistols, Uniforms [ View Full Listing ]
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I thought the same thing, but I dont think it is the outdoorsman...however wasnt there 3-4 PA people wih junk wax and fake stuff on ebay recently?
  • Options
    the more that go down the better, seems law enforcement is taking this stuff seriously now.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    www.rlhooperauctions.com

Just checked out his "website" - nothing but affiliate spam - pathetic.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news! There are many more on ebay that will hopefully (but probably not) take note, esp those who buy wrappers and singles under one ID and reasealed packs under another. Would love to see all these dirtbags get locked up for a long time!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Hooper wasn't much of a pack scammer....he was more of a counterfeiter

Link

Randy Howard in the article was/is Hoopers sidekick.
  • Options
    paoutdoorsman2004 ebay feedback:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=paoutdoorsman2004&ftab=AllFeedback

Scammer built up some nice feedback with a lot of nickel and dime stuff, then came in for the kill with dozens of items for hundreds and thousands of dollars - from the ebay scammer 101 textbook.
  • Options
    RocuanRocuan Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    Being from Camp Hill ( right next to Mechanicsburg ), I and all the collectors in the Harrisburg area knew about Hooper years ago. I knew him when he was a small time sleaze, opening and resealing wax packs. He had a store in Shiremanstown but had to close it when his "reputation" got around. Most of us lost track of him for a long time. I see he graduated into the big time of sleaze. I know his arraignment is July 10. Since I live 5 minutes from the JP's office I think I'll go see what happens to the SOB.
    Ro
  • Options

<< <i>Being from Camp Hill ( right next to Mechanicsburg ), I and all the collectors in the Harrisburg area knew about Hooper years ago. I knew him when he was a small time sleaze, opening and resealing wax packs. He had a store in Shiremanstown but had to close it when his "reputation" got around. Most of us lost track of him for a long time. I see he graduated into the big time of sleaze. I know his arraignment is July 10. Since I live 5 minutes from the JP's office I think I'll go see what happens to the SOB. >>

That's about what I figured. Normally these type of scammers move from state to state and that makes it very difficult to prosecute them. But this guy always had his address as in the central PA area. This guy probably has family in the area, and so he didn't want to leave the area, and that made for a bad idea for a prolific scammer, as shown by the fact that prosecutors had time to build up a case against him, and nail him.

Another lesson from the scammer 101 handbook - if you're gonna be a professional scammer, better keep a suitcase packed and be prepared to move quickly, and to another state or even another country if necessary. Otherwise you'll windup getting locked up in the state pen for a number of years - like this guy is likely to be.
  • Options
    always good to see a scumbag go down.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

"Another lesson from the scammer 101 handbook - if you're gonna be a professional scammer, better keep a suitcase packed and be prepared to move quickly, and to another state or even another country if necessary. "

/////////////

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    ^ I was thinking about DeNiro in Heat, but the great Eddie Iz works, too.
  • Options
    " I was thinking about DeNiro in Heat, but the great Eddie Iz works, too. "

///////////////////////////////////////

Neil McCauley:

"A guy told me one time, 'Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.'"
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That's the discipline image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Being from Camp Hill ( right next to Mechanicsburg ), I and all the collectors in the Harrisburg area knew about Hooper years ago. I knew him when he was a small time sleaze, opening and resealing wax packs. He had a store in Shiremanstown but had to close it when his "reputation" got around. Most of us lost track of him for a long time. I see he graduated into the big time of sleaze. I know his arraignment is July 10. Since I live 5 minutes from the JP's office I think I'll go see what happens to the SOB. >>

That's about what I figured. Normally these type of scammers move from state to state and that makes it very difficult to prosecute them. But this guy always had his address as in the central PA area. This guy probably has family in the area, and so he didn't want to leave the area, and that made for a bad idea for a prolific scammer, as shown by the fact that prosecutors had time to build up a case against him, and nail him.

Another lesson from the scammer 101 handbook - if you're gonna be a professional scammer, better keep a suitcase packed and be prepared to move quickly, and to another state or even another country if necessary. Otherwise you'll windup getting locked up in the state pen for a number of years - like this guy is likely to be. >>

This guy will get probation at the most and a slap on the wrist.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    wasn't that guy on here a while back on the b/s/t board trying to sell some football rack packs and crap. I recall that he caught quite a bit of grief over stating that they were unsearched (or something like that) but admitted that there were no Paytons or something in them.

I recall the guy ultimately posting an ebay link to stuff and I'd almost bet CD'sleftNut that it was this PAOutdoorsman guy.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭

<< <i>...I'd almost bet CD'sleftNut that it was this PAOutdoorsman guy. >>

You can't do that. I already have his left nut down on the Raiders NOT winning the Super Bowl next year. Use his right nut.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wasn't that guy on here a while back on the b/s/t board trying to sell some football rack packs and crap. I recall that he caught quite a bit of grief over stating that they were unsearched (or something like that) but admitted that there were no Paytons or something in them.

I recall the guy ultimately posting an ebay link to stuff and I'd almost bet CD'sleftNut that it was this PAOutdoorsman guy. >>

Is this the guy??

LINK
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Yes.

here's another thread where he posts an Ebay ID of ebay id- pennsylvaniawhitetail

Link

All posts/threads of his.
  • Options
    After the criminal is convicted, EVERYBODY is free to write to the
    judge and explain why the death penalty is warranted in this case.

Folks who suspect that a cowardly prosecutor might do a charity
    plea-bargain, can write to that prosecutor BEFORE the deal is done.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    My nuts are in very high demand right now.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622

<< <i>It looks like Roger Hooper was arrested on 05/22/2008 at OTN L417488-1 in Cumberland county PA and posted $30,000 bail on 05/23/2008. It appears that local police arrested him. He is charged with three counts of Deceptive/Fraudulent Business Practices, two counts of Theft by Deception, and one count of Dealing in Proceeds of Unlawful Activity.

He was arraigned on 05/22/2008. His preliminary hearing in was postponed on 05/29/2008 until 07/10/2008. Bump this thread after that, and I can get updated information.

I have no idea what the probable cause was for those charges, or if Hooper every used the ID PAoutdoorsman. >>

good for the cops! all they needed was a bit of hard evidence and BOOM!
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like Roger Hooper was arrested on 05/22/2008 at OTN L417488-1 in Cumberland county PA and posted $30,000 bail on 05/23/2008. It appears that local police arrested him. He is charged with three counts of Deceptive/Fraudulent Business Practices, two counts of Theft by Deception, and one count of Dealing in Proceeds of Unlawful Activity.

I have no idea what the probable cause was for those charges, or if Hooper every used the ID PAoutdoorsman. >>

Where did you find this information online? I looked everywhere but couldn't find any details.

Thanks
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    So, has it been proved that this Hooper guy is paoutdoorsman?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

Where did you find this information online? I looked everywhere but couldn't find any details.

Thanks >>

Sorry to bump this again, but I made this initial post on a different board. If you could let me know where you found this information I'd greatly appreciate it.
  • Options
    Roger Hooper made the front page of todays Harrisburg Patriot.

Here is the online article:

Text
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder where sportscard and memorabilia fraudsters fall in the hierarchy of prison "love"
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I don't know the answer to the last question, but I predict there will be other fraudsters to test the theory in the years to come.........
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    I wonder if bigboydsportscards is reading this and sweating. I sure hope so.
    Steven Bloedow
    Collect Auctions
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Hooper said he didn't know of the criminal investigation until police appeared May 22, handcuffed him and executed a search warrant.

Well...duh. I hope the police wouldn't call a suspect and ask his permission to investigate him.

It looks like his hearing is now scheduled for 08/12/2008 before the Magisterial Distrcit Judge. The case has not made it passed the criminal preliminary hearing.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    <<< But he said the allegations have ruined his reputation and imperiled the collectibles and auction business he built over 30 years. >>>

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    This guy has been in the memorabilia business for years. At his auctions he asks about prices of things like he has no idea and he must say 10-15 times, "I don't know values of things I'm not in the business anymore." I purchased things at his auctions. The DA's office contacted me a few weeks ago and asked for my take. The person told me that he would often put good items with bad. If there were ten of an item in a lot some were legit and the others bogus. I purchased a number of lots of single cards and upon closer inspection at home they were obviously fakes. I called him and he came out immediately and wrote me a check for all the bogus stuff with no arguing. He mumbled, I'm not selling any more sports cards a few times.
    If anyone remembers the packs that CDsNuts and I had a dispute about this is the auctioneer I bought them from. He said they were from a store in Hershey that closed down. I knew the owner who was one of the nicest and classiest guys years ago who would NOT sell fake stuff. Myself and two other very knowledgeable people looked at some of the packs and they were clean on the backs, seals lined up, no problems. After selling some on Ebay and buyers pulling great cards I think some of the packs were graded, I sold all I had left to Lee and he found fakes. After much dispute Lee and I have worked out our differences, thanks for your grace Lee, and because some packs were legit and others were not it now makes sense. I don't buy any older wax without looking through EVERY SINGLE pack now, which I did not do with Hooper's packs.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Where he's going, maybe he should change his name to pabackdoorsman.
  • Options

<< <i><<< But he said the allegations have ruined his reputation and imperiled the collectibles and auction business he built over 30 years. >>>

image >>

Apparently the counterfeit 60's Bazooka cards (and Bond Bread among others) he got caught holdering/selling a few years back didn't hurt his reputation.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several other sellers of resealed packs on ebay right now (rlmh, overtime, etc.) who should read this case very closely.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    IF the guy sticks to his story, we might be writing his obituary prematurely.

If he goes to trial, it does not - from what I've read - seem like a slam dunk
    for the prosecution.

Absent "proof" of his intent, his lawyer might be right: Civil Matter.

Being in the "collecible business" for a VERY long time, I KNOW that it is
    NOT possible to make as many good-faith "mistakes" as the guy claims
    he did. BUT, I am not sure how I would prove that to a numpty juror.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I like the comment about checking cards from "unopened" packs for fingerprints. Hard to dispute that.

"Molon Labe"