Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Seeks Card Graders

Hello All,

A few months ago, I reached out to the boards for prospective PSA card graders. I received a ton of responses and, even though we did hire one new grader already, PSA is hoping to add more.

Business is very healthy right now and PSA is looking for new, qualified candidates. There are a few keys to remember about the position. The position requires that the person work at our Santa Ana location. The candidates are also required to test-grade in order to make sure they possess the requisite skill set for the job.

I would also consider candidates that have either vintage or modern card expertise, or a blend of both.

I appreciate all the interest shown so far and, if you think you have what it takes and would like to become a part of our team, please email me directly at joe@collectors.com.

Thanks again for your continued support of our brand,

Joe Orlando
President

Comments

• Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    This isn't the right question to ask as an applicant, but I'm not applying (yet, anyway image ), but what is the salary range for a grader?

My gut feel says that it might not be enough for anyone on this board to consider changing careers, but I'd love to be wrong. image
  • Options
    The average salary of a PSA grader is: $73,235.32
  • Options

<< <i>The average salary of a PSA grader is: $73,235.32 >>

Interesting. For southern CA, that money might not go that far, though.

You can learn a lot about a job by the salary it keeps. I'm not saying card graders aren't dedicated and professional, but for this amount of salary it doesn't seem commensurate with the responsibility for accuracy that the job entails.

But, then again, what's the average wage of an air traffic controller? $100K? Either that is way too low, or the salary of a card grader is spot on.
  • Options
    I am on the east coast, and that would be GREAT money for out here!!! Plus the chance of holding PRICELESS cards is well worth the job!!!

succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options

<< <i>I am on the east coast, and that would be GREAT money for out here!!! Plus the chance of holding PRICELESS cards is well worth the job!!! >>

But it's the Santa Ana location. $73K sounds reasonable, I suppose, but it could stand to be higher to attract the absolute best and most dedicated.

But, then again, PSA is the leader, so it would seem like they already are attracting the best and most dedicated.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The average salary of a PSA grader is: $73,235.32 >>

Is this true? How do you know this?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I just know you're not saying 73 K isn't a decent salary to grade cards .

Let's not fool ourselves here , it isn't exactly rocket science .

I'm more than certain it is all done in a controled environment as far as the weather concerned , so it definitely is not an extrememly uncomfortable job .

You get to handle and actually see some of the most desired cards anywhere .

I have to say , I look at cards as soon as I get home from my absolute back breaking job . . . { Masonry } and I study every little inch of every single card I have , If I could get 73 K a year to do that , I'd absolutely quit my job , which actually pays just a few grand more , but I'd take a cut in pay to do get paid for something I'd do for free .

I'd quit in a New York minute .
    73 K isn't a bad living at all especially when you have a sweet job .

Good luck hiring your new employees Mr/Miss. Administrator, I wish I lived remotely close, not that I would qualify to begin with but .<Shrug>

P.S.
    I live on the South Shore of Long Island and 73 K a year here, nobody I know is barking at that .

• Options
    Oh . . . .
    If you want , you can send me a couple of those Rookie Mickey Mantle's to test grade for ya . . . . image

J/K

Thanks for the shot anyway . . .
    I think that's a kinda classy way of hiring too . . .
  • Options
    Joe,

Whenever you want to start a branch in Green Bay, WI, I'm your man. $73,000 in Green Bay would be big money. That would be what the office manager would make - not a grader. Graders would probably be 1/2 or less of that. I never understood why graders are regionalized (PSA, etc). I'm certain that the tooling to seal the cards is a fortune but maybe the operating costs would make up the difference in the long term.

When you look at the majority of the vintage collectors, they seem to be in the midwest. I know that Chicago is huge! Think of the shipping / handling and travel savings..... Just food for thought.

I think everyone that is close to the business would love to be a grader. A job in the business would be a lot of fun.

John
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I've often thought that PSA should open a Midwest branch for grading/authenticating. Base it in Chicago or a suburb close by. It would be located close to one of the largest airports in the world in O'Hare, be centrally located-meaning shorter shipping distances for customers in this area or for ones that live on the East coast.

There's a lot of knowledgeable card people that live in this area in addition to the memorabilia experts that live here too from whom you could hire new employees from this talent pool, to run this new location. The cost of living in this area isn't as high as on the west coast so you could pay the employees slightly less too. I see it as a win win for psa and it's customer base. PSA seems to be expanding, so why not expand into other areas of the country.

Another advantage would be for on-site show grading. PSA wouldn't have to lug all their grading equipment across the country for the National, Sportsfest, and Sun-Times shows since these shows would often be right in PSA's Midwest location backyard. Think of the savings involved right there.

Just some stupid thoughts of mine.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    There's no way graders are making $73K, regardless of location. I think jmb was just throwing out a random number as a joke. No way it's that high.
  • Options
    30K, max.
    If at first you dont succeed, keep on sucking, til you do succeed.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    When I spoke with Mr. Orlando on the phone, he was kind enough to give me a more definitive answer in regards to salary, because I like most on here thought that graders either made minimum wage or roughly $10 an hour. He said that the salary was in the 30K - 75K depending on the expertise and how good that grader is. Let's say you start out at 30K, you can move up the ladder very quickly if you're determine to learn and study about every single issue ever produced. Your knowledge as well as your eyeballs are important factors. Obviously, PSA will not hand over a stack of Old Judge cards to someone who only knows about modern cards. It was a very pleasant and informative conservation I had with Joe Orlando. If I didn't live 2 1/2 hours (one way with smooth traffic) away, I'd go and take that test. For those that live close to Santa Ana, I'd say go for it. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I think this country could use more people grading childrens test as Teachers than grading cards for overgrown kids.image
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Somebody stole my icon!! image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I could see kids hawking their PSA 10 graded book reports on Ebay image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Hmmmmmmmmm.

30-70K in the OC. I don't think that would cut it. Isn't the mean home price out there close to a million.

I'm in Ohio. I make 70K, my wife makes 130K, the mean home price is 200K, and we're not livin high on the hog by any means.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmmmmmmmm.

30-70K in the OC. I don't think that would cut it. Isn't the mean home price out there close to a million.

I'm in Ohio. I make 70K, my wife makes 130K, the mean home price is 200K, and we're not livin high on the hog by any means. >>

you should be! The average salary for a married couple in the US is what 45k? The median home price is about 200k as well. So you should be 5x the average for the US...now just try to "trim" that card budget image
  • Options

<< <i>Hmmmmmmmmm.

I'm in Ohio. I make 70K, my wife makes 130K, the mean home price is 200K, and we're not livin high on the hog by any means. >>

You can't manage money.

I am making $45,000 as a resident and another $50,000/year on cards. My wife doesn't work. We live a great life.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hmmmmmmmmm.

You can't manage money.

I am making $45,000 as a resident and another $50,000/year on cards. My wife doesn't work. We live a great life. >>

Do you have any kids?? Having three daughters put a crimp on things!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hmmmmmmmmm.

You can't manage money.

I am making $45,000 as a resident and another $50,000/year on cards. My wife doesn't work. We live a great life. >>

Do you have any kids?? Having three daughters put a crimp on things!! >>

Two. They are each in private swimming lessons, gymnastics, my daughter is in ballet, and we belong to a private pool. I spoil them rotten with love.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny how these threads can go so far left from their original intent sometimes...image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>Funny how these threads can go so far left from their original intent sometimes...image >>

That is the nature of the human psyche.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Oh well. Was just trying to imagine living in the OC on 50K a year. Have you ever been there? I imagine private swimming lessons, gymnastics, ballet, and belonging to a private pool would cost 50K alone, not to mention the 4K mortgage, 5K real-estate taxes, etc., etc., etc.

I think "we" manage money just fine. It's "me" that can't manage money. I mean I spend it on cardboard for petes sake. Glad I found her.
  • Options
    Where do I sign up?!
  • Options
    I'd like a job, but just to grade my own cards. image
  • Options
    DaddyRichDaddyRich Posts: 241 ✭✭
    jmbkb4 - unless you do not live in So Cal, or bought your house more than 10 years ago at a low interest rate, or live happily in an apartment you cannot live very well out here on $70K. It's not a matter of telling other people they can't manage their money properly. And I cannot be convinced graders make anyhwere near that kind of cash, without a payroll stub to show otherwise.
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Options
    Please get rid of the annual fee. I have NO use for ANY of your "free" gifts including the "free submissions". Please just let me submit my cards for a normal service level so I can quit sending them to beckett. As it is only costing YOU money in the long run.

Sorry to re-hijack this thread, but thanks for listening.
  • Options
    ---I'm an idiot who does not know how to work a message board---

*Please ignore this post*
  • Options

<< <i>Please get rid of the annual fee. I have NO use for ANY of your "free" gifts including the "free submissions". Please just let me submit my cards for a normal service level so I can quit sending them to beckett. As it is only costing YOU money in the long run.

Sorry to re-hijack this thread, but thanks for listening. >>

Let me join you in crime here by agreeing with you. I'd be far more tempted to send in "impulse" submissions if I didn't have to go through the added steps of becoming a member.

When I want a Big Mac, I go get one. I don't have to worry about signing up for a McDonald's card first.
  • Options
    Ditto.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    sorry, I'll change the icon, didn't think anyone had it, didn't take long to find out someone did.image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The membership fee is a bargain when you factor in the free gradings and the access you get to pop reports, SMR, etc.

The last book they sent with membership, with a picture history of baseball cards, was a nice looking volume, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I agree Grote, I don't find paying $169 for two years excessive when you factor in all you get for that money.

I would like to see some service tiers combined to make grading some cards that I don't have a lot of easier. When you only have 7 1950's cards to grade, I have to hold them for a long time until I can hit the 25 card magic bulk level to submit them for $7 each. These are mostly commons and don't warrant me paying $15 per card or $13 for 5-day service. That one change in the grading tiers would be nice once in a while.
  • Options
    This is all true. But it would be nice to have the option.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>jmbkb4 - unless you do not live in So Cal, or bought your house more than 10 years ago at a low interest rate, or live happily in an apartment you cannot live very well out here on $70K. It's not a matter of telling other people they can't manage their money properly. And I cannot be convinced graders make anyhwere near that kind of cash, without a payroll stub to show otherwise. >>

That really depends on your lifestyle and how creative you can be. Granted I am not a "normal" person. I've never held a "real" job, I have never made over $50K a year, and the last four years have been brutal on me financially. Of course I also don't have a wife and family, and I went 25 years without health insurance and until last year drove a 15 year old pickup truck I paid cash for in 1991 so I have been able to ride out those ups and downs. And I don't own any real estate.

However, I live in a house in a town with one of the highest per capita incomes in Northern California, own primo Season Tickets to the San Jose Sharks, have health insurance, and now drive a new Honda Civic and am about to embark on an even worse choice of career - writer, just because I want to give it a go.

It's a matter of perspective and how you want to live. At one time I wanted all the trappings of success - house, family, etc but despite not having all that I am pretty happy with my freedom and situation. When I needed a job, no one would hire me because my experience was all self-employment and focus very broad. I learned to rely on my own skills and yes, at times I have had to be very creative. I expect I'll be working in some form until the day I drop, but I'm not sure I could ever retire in the traditional sense, anyway.

My best friend is a few years younger and went the traditional route. He makes about 70K his wife made about 50K. A few years ago they decided to start a family, moved up to a bigger house (and bigger mortgage), made $100K in improvements and then last year decided they didn't love each other any more and divorced. So now my buddy has 1/2 mortgage, $1500 rent, and child support to deal with for 16 years. Although he's happier being out of the marriage he's got no freedom to change careers now, even if he wanted to.
  • Options
    OverratedOverrated Posts: 454 ✭✭
    I want this job! Joe look no further, my wife work for santa-ana crime lab we want to move back live in northwest now.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    my wife work for santa-ana crime lab

You wife is probably kept very busy! More than enough crime in most parts of Santa Ana

I'm in Ohio. I make 70K, my wife makes 130K, the mean home price is 200K, and we're not livin high on the hog by any means.

16/17K total a month, and you have a no frills life? Come on! Sure you didn't have to many zeros here? possibly you mean 7K and 20K.

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

<< <i>I'd like a job, but just to grade my own cards. >>

• Options
    $73K huh?

I was an inventing research scientist making only $35K in the late 90's and cannot even get one of those jobs again with the excessive numbers of H1-B visa holding persons which employers love so much.

To have a no-brain job paying that much is stupendous. One can make $70K driving a bus in san francisco, driving a bart train (which basically is a no-brainer as well), or even a 1st grade teacher who obtains a PhD degree not to teach better but because the system is screwed up in that it overly compensated higher education as if it actually had a dramtic impact on the teaching effectiveness and laugh their way to the bank on all the citizens who pay too much in taxes to support their salaries.

PSA should be able to have $8/card MAX for grading if that is so, and have $3-4 special deals by cutting out the pork.
    have just these left, ALL OF 1975 mini set: brett: bvg 8.5, rose psa 8, ryan psa 7, bobby bonds and carl yastrzemski both at psa 8 but will get reviewed, and ungraded fred lynn rookie that i won't get graded as it'll only be a 7 to 8, and the following i plan to get graded: reggie jackson, 1962-mvp card, 1967 mvp card, hank aaron
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "To have a no-brain job paying that much is stupendous. One can make $70K driving a bus in san francisco, driving a bart train (which basically is a no-brainer as well), or even a 1st grade teacher who obtains a PhD degree not to teach better but because the system is screwed up in that it overly compensated higher education as if it actually had a dramtic impact on the teaching effectiveness and laugh their way to the bank on all the citizens who pay too much in taxes to support their salaries."

I agree that a teacher will make about the same as a bus driver.....but personally I see that as a problem, not a reference that they are overpaid. From an occupation stand point, a person would be an idiot to put themselves in debt going through college, to get a job that pays so little, then have to get recertified every year or so. Seems like it would be smarter to take a 2 week bus driving class.

I admire those that choose to be a teacher. They certainly are not the problem.

"I was an inventing research scientist making only $35K in the late 90's.."

It sounds like you took a job that paid pretty close to what McDonald's in California would have paid you.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    I've been doing my career choice for 23 years now. I still get up every day with a bounce in my step as I head out the door to work. When you choose a career, most will consider that it will have to be somewhat of an enjoyment.

Now, after 20 years of driving a bus or teaching, who's going to have more satisfaction?

The payscale for bus drivers, trash haulers, truck drivers, is high, because that is about all they have to motivate them to go to work everyday. No real self satisfaction involved
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    i took the job and accepted the low wage realizing what i was up against in california. i didn't study at stanford on my own from age 16 just to be slammed by idiocy in the hiring process. even after numerous accomplishments i was still getting slammed. trained a visiting "scientist" who was merely a pharmacist who's not even a citizen and found they were paying her $6K more than myself...made a dosing device to give the company two more years of stealing money from investors before they went bankrupt and got only $1K bonus for my efforts...revamped a long-standing inefficent extraction procedure and even had to fight to make it better and got no thanks after making it happen..the LOD was 10X less and LOQ 4 time less.....lovely gratitude. invented an HPLC purification process for nikkomycin z after beign told by the two foremost scientists in germany who were working on it that hplc purification was impossible..i told my boss and the head chemist that i refuse to accept that and they told me i'd be wasting my time, so I proved them all wrong within ONE DAY. do i get anything for it? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. invented nikkomycin formulations and a patent was given, and guess who's name didn't appear on the patent in spite of 100% of the claims were taken from my notebook? now i am a marked troublemaker for doing so much without going through the stupid process of gettign a PhD when I know I won't get any smarter by doing so...I know what intelligence is and I demonstrate it with all my creativity to show the system just how moronic it functions. one should not need brain-dead societal certifications to justify employment and fair wage if able to demonstrate proficiency and inventiveness at or exceeding what PhDs offer the company, but you know there are fragile egos at stake in all aspects of decison-making related to this sort of thing. this world is a joke and i hope someday people will begin to really think outside of their narrow-scope so society would improve.

73K for a card grader? come on. it's a $25K/yr job at best. college students should stop by and put in time on weekends and various other times. a high school grad who's at average intelligence should figure out what's involved with 2 hours of training.

sure it's not as perverse as million-dollar sports salaries, but we can all boycott to not let it get out of hand, it's just unfortunate too many people are so dam selfish and not wanting to correct society's ills, so the perversity continues.
    have just these left, ALL OF 1975 mini set: brett: bvg 8.5, rose psa 8, ryan psa 7, bobby bonds and carl yastrzemski both at psa 8 but will get reviewed, and ungraded fred lynn rookie that i won't get graded as it'll only be a 7 to 8, and the following i plan to get graded: reggie jackson, 1962-mvp card, 1967 mvp card, hank aaron
  • Options
    Mr. Toomers . . . not for nothing , but when did this thread be come about you and the choices you made in life ?
  • Options

Go Phillies
  • Options
    Toomers:

This is/was a thread about hiring Graders for PSA.

NOT a feel Sorry Thread for you. If your looking for Smyphaty its found between s*** and syphilis is the dictionary.
  • Options
    Wow.
  • Options
    lol, so this continues......bash me for relating something to the salaries of psa graders.

i made several comparisons to show the salary is too high.

there are many in technical professions making 1/2 as much.

sorry a few here couldn't see the theme that i adhered to and merely wanted to focus on one aspect of my writing.

a job and it's salary go hand in hand.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I always wanted to drive an ice cream truck. How much does that pay?