Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bagwell - Is he a first ballot HOF'er?

Jeff Bagwell's career stats are impressive, but he didn't hit 3000 or 500. His ROY and MVP award combined with his productivity will eventually get him in, but is he a first ballot guy?

Also I wonder if the steroid questions will get him. I know some people in Houston think he took them since he was such close buddies with Caminiti. He had a huge jump in power numbers in the 1994 season, which is made more amazing considering he played 32 fewer games.

I know he hasn't be subject to an SI cover story like Bonds, but every slugger from 1990 to 2002 will be under steroid cloud.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    This is funny, because I thought about putting up this exact same post last night. I was reading about his pending retirement and wondering about his prospects at Cooperstown.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Without looking at the numbers, I'm leaning towards no.

First ballot especially.

shawn
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i'm thinking no as well.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Nope
  • Options
    He is not a 1st, and well probally need a soft year to even get in.
  • Options
    First ballot? No way. within fifteen years? Doubtful.

He strikes me as the Jim Rice/Bill Mazeroski type--a very good player who may one day make it into the Hall. His numbers are okay in comparison to his peers. He is only a 4 time all star, never led the league in HRs and only once in RBIs. ROY and an MVP on his resume. Craig Biggio will be the Astro always remembered from those years and will make the Hall (1st ballot if he reaches 3000 hits--he's well within range). Bagwell will have a tough go at it I think.

What he has going for him--15 years with the same team. 400 HRs/200SBs as a first baseman (only one ever).

Comprable player off the top of my head from the same era would be Juan Gonzalez--similar HR/Avg. numbers. I don't think anyone here really considered Juan Gone a HOFer.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    most will just look at his numbers and conclude he's not worthy. those people are missing the big picture, which can be summed up in one word: Astrodome

he's going to be judged unfairly and he will not get his due credit for hitting in that canyon.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Not HOF worthy at all
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    no
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Rose will get in b/f Bags...
  • Options
    Good, gritty player, but he lacks HOF creditentials.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I respectfully disagree. I believe not only will Bagwell get into the HOF, I would not be
    surprised if he were a first ballot HOF. His HOF "numbers" courtesy of baseball-reference:

Black Ink: Batting - 24 (78) (Average HOFer ~ 27)
    Gray Ink: Batting - 157 (75) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
    HOF Standards: Batting - 59.0 (30) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
    HOF Monitor: Batting - 149.5 (76) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Further, there is no taint of steroids about Bagwell. He was a very likeable player ala Kirby
    Puckett. He won the 1994 NL MVP unanimously and played his entire career for a single
    team, went 30-30 in years (1997 and 1999). I think all these factors play in his favor of
    being elected.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I don't think of him as a HOF type player. But, it seems like the HOF is getting watered down with recent inductions, so perhaps he is. Tough call, but I would vote no.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    The lack of love for Bagwell suprises me.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think it will come out at some point that Bags was a juicer, and that will effectively kill his HOF chances. Otherwise the numbers were there for him to get in eventually, but still not first ballot.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Always liked him, thought he was a good player, but HOF.....nope.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bagwell did have some great hitting seasons, his 1994 season is a statistical marvel.

I think he will get in at some point, especially if Biggio gets 3000. It may take a campaign by someone in the media.

Plus I agree that Bagwell may have a steroid story in the future. The increase in power mirrors what Palmieroid did in the early-mid 1990's. He was a good friend of Caminiti.

Here is an interesting conspiracy theory about Bagwell and roids. I think the guy has been watching too many Oliver Stone movies, but it is fun to read.

Bags
    Mike
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    That Bagwell conspiracy theory is freakin' wild!!! I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but I tend to believe that a lot of it coud be true. Of course I really hope it isn't in the case of Tony Gwynn.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Excuse me? Tony Gwynn on steriods? This guy never learned how to push away from the dinner table. If anything, Tony ate the steriods.
  • Options
    I think that Bagwell, as well as others, will get caught up in the steroid backlash. It will start with McGwire.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Similar Batters View in Pop-up
    Compare Stats
    Gary Sheffield (900)
    Frank Thomas (884)
    Fred McGriff (865)
    Ken Griffey (857)
    Willie Stargell (844) *
    Andres Galarraga (843)
    Orlando Cepeda (827) *
    Mickey Mantle (818) *
    Willie McCovey (813) *
    Duke Snider (810) *

Looks like he is in with some decent company. With that said, if he does not get tainted with the steroid issue and that story I read is crap then YES he is a Hall of Famer. 1st ballot? dunno. But he does have the stats. Everyone keeps saying that 500 homers is no longer the threshold. Does anyone realise that between 1950 and 1975 more guys achieved that goal? I keep hearing that so many guys will be in that class that it won't mean anything yet they keep dropping like flies.

you could look it up.

does the entire baseball worl stink? yes

life goes on.

JMO

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Here's a picture of Bagwell from 1990-1991.

I'd say his physical transformation is downright Bonds-like. But I've always liked Bagwell. Just as Luis Gonzalez has been a good guy with the media, these people get a pass. But if you're one of those that go around saying Bonds MUST be on 'roids because his hat size has grown 3 sizes and he looks like the Incredible Hulk when compared to his younger days, you should take a hard look at A LOT of other ball players as well.

When Bonds hit his 73 homers in 2001, Luis Gonzalez hit 57! FIFTY FREAKING SEVEN!

But in the meantime, let's all just get angry at Bonds because, you know...he was probably the only one juicing at the time and we're all suppose to hate him.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    bagwell was a bum.....

dave kingman, now that's a ball player!

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    OverratedOverrated Posts: 454 ✭✭
    nice guy, but not a chance!